• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
This question was probably answered somewhere, but I can't find it, so sorry for the repetition. I know the boats leave WL 30 min before park opening, but with Main St opening at 8 am now, does that mean the boats will leave at 7:30 am, or not until 8:30 am?

Looking for some seasoned Lodgers' advice!

I know searching today for room availability in October is insane because the holiday offer just got released, however I called and the cast member couldn't find anything at WL at all, even with flexible dates. I would like to try staying at BRV, but would settle for WL if it means we can stay there.

Initial date ranges are Oct 13-16 or 20-23 (avoiding Columbus Day weekend). DH and I would like to go into the parks during the early part of the week as opposed to on a Friday or Saturday. No idea if this theory holds any water, but we'd hoped it would be "less crowded" on weekdays. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to checking in on a Sunday, but trying to save days off at work too.

Finally, should we reconsider October in general? We want to make it our "longer, relaxed" trip, but want to pop into EP for F&W at some point (NOT on a weekend though). What have you all found to be good date ranges to stay at WL/BRV during the fall months? For reference, we're local PHs, so driving up approx. 2.5 hours each way.

Last edited:
Looking for some seasoned Lodgers' advice!

I know searching today for room availability in October is insane because the holiday offer just got released, however I called and the cast member couldn't find anything at WL at all, even with flexible dates. I would like to try staying at BRV, but would settle for WL if it means we can stay there.

Initial date ranges are Oct 13-16 or 20-23 (avoiding Columbus Day weekend). DH and I would like to go into the parks during the early part of the week as opposed to on a Friday or Saturday. No idea if this theory holds any water, but we'd hoped it would be "less crowded" on weekdays. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to checking in on a Sunday, but trying to save days off at work too.

Finally, should we reconsider October in general? We want to make it our "longer, relaxed" trip, but want to pop into EP for F&W at some point (NOT on a weekend though). What have you all found to be good date ranges to stay at WL/BRV during the fall months? For reference, we're local PHs, so driving up approx. 2.5 hours each way.
Sept through after the marathon in January is known as Fall Frenzy for DVC resorts. Owners book their home resort at 11 months out and try to find something non-home at seven months out, usually not very successful. You are way late for BRV or CCR for this October.

Sept through after the marathon in January is known as Fall Frenzy for DVC resorts. Owners book their home resort at 11 months out and try to find something non-home at seven months out, usually not very successful. You are way late for BRV or CCR for this October.

Good to know for next year. There are BRV available but very limited and the price point isn't looking great. I was able to get WL in November last year so I'm hoping some availability opens up for Oct.

Good to know for next year. There are BRV available but very limited and the price point isn't looking great. I was able to get WL in November last year so I'm hoping some availability opens up for Oct.
With half the WLhaving been converted to DVC villas (Copper Creek Villas), there is a lot less availability at WL in the hotel. It just doesn't have the vacancy it used to have.

I'm gonna have to learn more about DVC I think. We're staying at WL next week and I was hoping to show my husband the DVC stuff and maybe even convince to try a few nights at Boulder Creek over Labor Day weekend - but it appears that last minute booking for DVC is not really a thing.

I'm gonna have to learn more about DVC I think. We're staying at WL next week and I was hoping to show my husband the DVC stuff and maybe even convince to try a few nights at Boulder Creek over Labor Day weekend - but it appears that last minute booking for DVC is not really a thing.
DVC is a timeshare and intended to be booked 95-97% all the time. There is no last minute booking. You book your home resort at 11 months out and a non-home resort at seven months out. Any less and you can easily be shut out. If you do the tour, make sure you are well educated on DVC before you are convinced to buy anything direct. Check over on the DVC boards and do a lot of reading before you tour. Every resort is different and just about every resort is available both direct from DVC at a higher cost than you pay resale through a resale company. The perks you get by buying direct may be worth less than the money you can save buying resale.

At WL there are two DVC resorts, Boulder Ridge which is the older DVC resort there (connected by the covered walkway) and Copper Creek which is the one converted wing, plus the lake cabins at WL. They have different expiration dates and different direct costs. Different occupancy, different layouts.

DVC is a timeshare and intended to be booked 95-97% all the time. There is no last minute booking. You book your home resort at 11 months out and a non-home resort at seven months out. Any less and you can easily be shut out. If you do the tour, make sure you are well educated on DVC before you are convinced to buy anything direct. Check over on the DVC boards and do a lot of reading before you tour. Every resort is different and just about every resort is available both direct from DVC at a higher cost than you pay resale through a resale company. The perks you get by buying direct may be worth less than the money you can save buying resale.

At WL there are two DVC resorts, Boulder Ridge which is the older DVC resort there (connected by the covered walkway) and Copper Creek which is the one converted wing, plus the lake cabins at WL. They have different expiration dates and different direct costs. Different occupancy, different layouts.

Thanks, that's what I was wondering. Regardless of the costs and specific rules and details like expiration dates (all of which are obviously vital) If we are not able to book last minute than there's no use even pursuing it. We simply can't book our trips 11 months out. I was hoping that since I often see Disney offering rooms in Boulder Ridge and Copper Creek on it's main website relatively last minute that they would be available to the DVC owners as well, but I guess that's not the case. About a month ago, there was a room listed on the main website available from Disney for my dates next week, but when I looked into renting points to get the room, the owner said there was no availability.

We own at OKW and BLT, but like to try different resorts too. We stayed, for the first time, at BRV in April and loved it, so DH wanted to do a short fall trip there if we could book it, knowing the odds were slim. I finally found three days in late October for the one-bedroom unit we wanted just last week on the DVC member site. I grabbed it right away. We wanted a longer stay so we’re booked at the CR for two nights beforehand, where we probably would have booked for the entire stay had the BRV opening not occurred.

I know we got lucky; the timing just worked out. Cancellations happen.

Thanks, that's what I was wondering. Regardless of the costs and specific rules and details like expiration dates (all of which are obviously vital) If we are not able to book last minute than there's no use even pursuing it. We simply can't book our trips 11 months out. I was hoping that since I often see Disney offering rooms in Boulder Ridge and Copper Creek on it's main website relatively last minute that they would be available to the DVC owners as well, but I guess that's not the case. About a month ago, there was a room listed on the main website available from Disney for my dates next week, but when I looked into renting points to get the room, the owner said there was no availability.
The DVC villas you see available on the Disney Reservation Center site are not available for points. They come from a few different sources. 1- unsold DVC inventory, like currently at Aulani or Copper Creek, that is still owned by DVC and has not yet been purchased. 2 - points recovered by DVC through foreclosure or ROFR (Right of First Refusal - DVC can buy out a contract from a seller for the asking price for any resale - if they have someone on a waitlist who happens to want to buy points direct and pay the higher price, DVC can get those points from ROFR). 3 - inventory traded by members for non-DVC Disney vacations like the DCL, ABD, Disney hotels (these trips must be paid for by DVC so they sell the equivalent points deposited by the member as a reservation. Then the other arm of Disney gets paid for the member's trip). 4 - unbooked member inventory at 60 days out (DVC will turn over unbooked inventory to DRC to sell and the money goes back to DVC towards member fees) - sometimes this can be pulled back by Member Services to book for points.

Absolutely true - though I would modify one thing: DVC is not a traditional timeshare. It's far more "pre payed lodging" for vacations. No one actually gets anything like a real property "land interest", and the contract has an END Date (actually, a GOOD thing).

Why mention that small difference? Well, it's because no Bank will lend you money to BUY DVC. You see, they don't have any Real Property to hold Title to :(. Oh, they could do an unsecured personal loan... but that's sort of it.

So - that brings up the DVC bugaboo... if you FINANCE that initial Point Purchase? The costs are dead KILLER. Think CC interest rates :(.

All personal opinion - but our feeling was, and remains... to really buy into DVC? One should have a good $30K + in CASH, sitting in a low performing account of some sort. Please - don't Finance DVC :(. Real break even point vs discounted rooms will extend by YEARS :(.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Absolutely true - though I would modify one thing: DVC is not a traditional timeshare. It's far more "pre payed lodging" for vacations. No one actually gets anything like a real property "land interest", and the contract has an END Date (actually, a GOOD thing).

Why mention that small difference? Well, it's because no Bank will lend you money to BUY DVC. You see, they don't have any Real Property to hold Title to :(. Oh, they could do an unsecured personal loan... but that's sort of it.

So - that brings up the DVC bugaboo... if you FINANCE that initial Point Purchase? The costs are dead KILLER. Think CC interest rates :(.

I don’t know about financing, but I believe it is an interest in real estate. You get a deed which is recorded in a county office.

I've read that around Christmas, WL sometimes has handbell performances! Does anyone know what days and times this would happen, and where exactly? Or how to find out?

Thanks in advance.

I don’t know about financing, but I believe it is an interest in real estate. You get a deed which is recorded in a county office.
That is a VERY important point :). Nope - you do not get an interest in real estate :). Sandy and I have "owned" DVC for about 6 years.... and while we get a LOT out of it (we love it), one never gets legal title to "x square feet of property". If that ever occurred, one COULD go to a Mortgage Company, and actually have real property to secure a loan with :).

So a suggestion? It takes a little digging, but one CAN find out what DVC charges for financing :). It's not pretty :). See this link, for 2018....

https://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/financial/2351-dvc-interest-rates-rise

You MAY be looking at between 10%-17% financing interest :(. Now, even if one is REALLY GOOD in the Stock Market (I am not), that's hefty :(.
Sandy and I paid CASH for our points, right in the middle of the "bad bank interest" boom. Best $30K we ever invested :). And 6 years later, in NOV 2018? Our spreadsheet indicates that we will nail WDW, at BRV, for $1982 BELOW discounted rack :). April 2019 (booked)? We will be "reclaiming" about $5000 on that trip, vs discounted RACK.... :).

Yup, we LOVE DVC :).

Just took the plunge and booked Copper Creek Villa Deluxe Studio for December 6-12. Now CCV is completely sold out for dates! Thank god we booked it when we did! (Wanted WL/GF but no availability for the dates) :( I am feeling the pain though because we booked at rack rate and I have never paid rack rate at a resort before especially a DELUXE :o. Tell me some great things about the resort and convince me it's the right choice!

Just took the plunge and booked Copper Creek Villa Deluxe Studio for December 6-12. Now CCV is completely sold out for dates! Thank god we booked it when we did! (Wanted WL/GF but no availability for the dates) :( I am feeling the pain though because we booked at rack rate and I have never paid rack rate at a resort before especially a DELUXE :o. Tell me some great things about the resort and convince me it's the right choice!
Congratulations! The Copper Creek studio Villas are in the South wing of the main building, and while they are the same size as the standard WL hotel rooms they were converted from, they were completely rebuilt and refurnished with a nice fresh decor. The best part is that you'll be right there in the main building at WL during the holiday season. The lobby will be all decorated and you can't beat the combination of a giant Christmas Tree in a log cabin setting. As you've seen from the lack of availability, it is a popular resort during the holidays. That's one trip on most of our bucket lists!
For WL in general, it is our favorite resort because of its quiet secluded feel yet great proximity to MK. Its location on beautiful Bay Lake allows for great views, and boat transportation to MK, CR, and Fort Wilderness. We also enjoy that besides the new lakefront cabins, the resort is all under one roof which is great in inclement weather. Besides the boat transportation, you also have bus options to all the parks, which isn't the most fun or unique option but is super fast to MK.
One risk you will face is the temptation to join DVC to get to stay there more frequently and at a much lower rate. Many of us were not able to resist... Congratulations again, and have a great time looking forward to your trip!

This question was probably answered somewhere, but I can't find it, so sorry for the repetition. I know the boats leave WL 30 min before park opening, but with Main St opening at 8 am now, does that mean the boats will leave at 7:30 am, or not until 8:30 am?

I stayed at WL in May and the boats started around 7 AM. I was concerned about some 8 AM dining reservations we had, but the boats were there bright and early :)

Hi all! WDW veteran but we just booked WL for the first time and I just had to write that down somewhere, we are SUPER excited! We'll be staying there from August 7-12 in a Courtyard View. It will be my wife, my nearly 3 year old daughter, and me. This trip will be a totally different vibe since we'll have a 3 year old in tow vs just the wife and I but we cant wait to experience that side of Disney! Looking forward to reading through this thread and others for all the tips and tricks there are to make our stay at WL the best it can be. Can't wait to be a member of the unofficial WL fan club!! haha

Hi all! WDW veteran but we just booked WL for the first time and I just had to write that down somewhere, we are SUPER excited! We'll be staying there from August 7-12 in a Courtyard View. It will be my wife, my nearly 3 year old daughter, and me. This trip will be a totally different vibe since we'll have a 3 year old in tow vs just the wife and I but we cant wait to experience that side of Disney! Looking forward to reading through this thread and others for all the tips and tricks there are to make our stay at WL the best it can be. Can't wait to be a member of the unofficial WL fan club!! haha
Your daughter is probably too young to enjoy the Wonders of the Lodge Tour, but I think the WL hidden Mickey hunt would be a good family activity. You can request the Search for Hidden Mickeys info flier at the front desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter