Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a small concern about the 7th floor CL rooms. This is the 3rd time at WL but the first at CL. We were so lucky on our first trip to get a 'bear face' room and it was fantastic. Lobby view at the front door and Courtyard/Lake view from the balcony. The next trip started out a nightmare but was fixed. We reserved another courtyard view but was put on the ground floor and our view was the actual dirt of the courtyard! We were facing the hill that the spring runs down to create the falls coming from the lobby. I just cried. I told DH that I didn't know if I could look at that all week so I finally called the desk and asked if it could be changed. I've never complained before over anything but I just knew this wasn't gong to work especially when I paid the same amount for the previous bear face room. Anyhow we were moved to a 5th floor room over the pool and I was happy again. I really don't know how they can charge the same for those rooms or call them both courtyard views. Anyhow, I digress. My current problem is the 7th floor. In every picture I see it always appears to be very dark and all the rooms seem to be dormer rooms. I'm a bit claustrophobic and I'm afraid I'm going to feel closed in whether in our room or in the lounge area. What do you think? I'm hoping the picture I've seen have all been taken at night and just always look dark. It looks like we're being sent to the attic! LOL

@Pat329 Yeah, that's the one problem with the 7th floor CL rooms.... to my knowledge they all have that dormer balcony setup. BUT... you have a wonderful new, BRIGHT lounge to go hang out in as a nice trade off. It's a great space and really well done, in my opinion. Hope you have a great trip.

@Pat329 Yeah, that's the one problem with the 7th floor CL rooms.... to my knowledge they all have that dormer balcony setup. BUT... you have a wonderful new, BRIGHT lounge to go hang out in as a nice trade off. It's a great space and really well done, in my opinion. Hope you have a great trip.
That makes me feel a little better. I was so thrilled when the deals were so good that it enabled us to even consider CL....until I saw the pictures. Is it true that they're eliminating the tables outside of the lounge overlooking the lobby? I thought that would be a perfect place to sit because I love they lobby. Thanks for your help!

We're leaving early and should hit that area mid-afternoon so hopefully any fog there may have been in the morning has burned off by then. We always go this route and love the Blue Ridge Parkway. I worked in Mt. Airy for awhile too. And thanks for the radar tip. It may be a problem for me but for DH it isn't so I'll make sure he's driving through that area. LOL Thanks again.
You're welcome! If the conditions are right, it can be just fine on I-77 until you get around my exit when you can roll into a thick fog bank. However, since last year, they've installed numerous warning signs and variable speed limit signs (which adjust according to current conditions) along that corridor so you'll have plenty of notice. Funny, as for the radar, it would be more of an issue with my wife, too. lol I've an acquaintance who is a county LEO and patrols that stretch, and according to him, as long as you're not blasting through there, you should be fine. He defined that as 80 mph and above (it's 65mph on that stretch), but I'm just not that, umm, adventurous. Have a great trip!

The last few years we have wanted to try out WL but have skipped because of the construction. Looks like 2017 is the magic year where it is suppose to be done?? We are surprising the kids this Xmas with a cruise on the dream and this trip since everyone will finally be tall and old enough to do most things. I've booked WL as my back up in case my DVC point rental doesn't work out (looking like not) from 12/30-1/5. I had a couple ???

Does anyone know when the decorations come down at WL from Xmas?

As for NYE can you see fireworks from somewhere on WL property? not sure we are brave enough to fight the MK masses.

Is there anything else on resort that is special for NYE?

I'm sure someone has answered this before but for some reason I'm not having any luck searching...could anyone tell me what the pool hours typically are during September? Thanks in advance! :)

The last few years we have wanted to try out WL but have skipped because of the construction. Looks like 2017 is the magic year where it is suppose to be done?? We are surprising the kids this Xmas with a cruise on the dream and this trip since everyone will finally be tall and old enough to do most things. I've booked WL as my back up in case my DVC point rental doesn't work out (looking like not) from 12/30-1/5. I had a couple ???

As for NYE can you see fireworks from somewhere on WL property? not sure we are brave enough to fight the MK masses.

Is there anything else on resort that is special for NYE?

You might be able to see some of the peripheral fireworks from the boat dock but the view will be blocked by Contemporary & BLT. The beach is gone now so that's not an option. The views weren't great anyway. We have in the past watched the fireworks from the CMs parking lot (just past guest parking lot) but that was at least 2 years ago. Not sure how the trees have grown in since then.

I think WL is a wonderful choice. I hope the construction will be done by the time of your trip but if not we did not have any frustrations due to construction even in the thick of it!

When we checked out on 1/1 they were still going strong. I read that the decorations go up in an order determined by a lottery - I suspect the reverse may be true as well so I don't know if you will find a hard and fast rule of when they come down.

Your resort balcony! Below is the view from my NYE stay - room 5030, "standard" view at that time.

13nrkZ5EA8hnMc.gif

wPzhcqWFoXuak.gif

At WL now. Had requested an upper floor room...Got Room 2002...It is the room next to the Deluxe rooms, at the very end of the hallway. It also has the stone balcony. Although I enjoy the view of the water, which I didn't expect with a std view, my mom isn't enjoying it. If my husband was here, it would be close to perfect for him and I. But I'm with my mom who isn't keen on the long walk and would like a balcony to sit on and watch things. So, I asked if we could be moved tomorrow. The CM was able to find a room on the 4th floor for tomorrow, so we will see. Has to most likely be closer to the elevator ;)

The resort, though, still feels like home. I loved walking into the lobby and inhaling the fabulous WL smell. So, I'm happy to be here :)

As an aside, I was told WL is pretty much booked full this week.

I'm trying to figure out what room requests I should make for our May trip. We are booked courtyard, and I would like a higher floor with view of pool and not open to lobby because my daughter goes to bed super early before WCC closes. Any suggestions?
I would request exactly what you want, a high floor, pool view and quiet location. There are only a few rooms that are open to the lobby, so the odds are you won't have to worry about getting one of those. :)

My current problem is the 7th floor. In every picture I see it always appears to be very dark and all the rooms seem to be dormer rooms. I'm a bit claustrophobic and I'm afraid I'm going to feel closed in whether in our room or in the lounge area. What do you think? I'm hoping the picture I've seen have all been taken at night and just always look dark. It looks like we're being sent to the attic! LOL
The 7th floor rooms do have the dormer balcony. It does make the room a little darker than a room with an open balcony. I don't really like those rooms but the club lounge will be a nice and roomy place to hang out. And the lounge is open to the lobby, so you can enjoy the view. ")

I'm sure someone has answered this before but for some reason I'm not having any luck searching...could anyone tell me what the pool hours typically are during September? Thanks in advance! :)
I don't think that pool hours are posted this far ahead of time. Pool hours can vary by season and depend on things like the crowds and weather. But if I would to guess than I would guess the hours would be something like 9am to 10pm. Maybe Hidden Springs pool will be open by September and they will have later hours.

So, I asked if we could be moved tomorrow. The CM was able to find a room on the 4th floor for tomorrow, so we will see. Has to most likely be closer to the elevator ;)
That was nice of them to move you. I wouldn't care for a room with that stone balcony.

That was nice of them to move you. I wouldn't care for a room with that stone balcony.

I thought I'd ask. The CM saw I had made the request, so she tried to find a different room for tonight, but nothing above 2 was available. So she asked if we'd be willing to move tomorrow, and if fourth floor would be better. I was surprised she was so accommodating. I told her I appreciated it.

The stone balcony makes the room very dark, and my mom found it to feel claustrophobic. She really doesn't like it... Luckily, fourth floor should have an open balcony.

I think WL is a wonderful choice. I hope the construction will be done by the time of your trip but if not we did not have any frustrations due to construction even in the thick of it!

When we checked out on 1/1 they were still going strong. I read that the decorations go up in an order determined by a lottery - I suspect the reverse may be true as well so I don't know if you will find a hard and fast rule of when they come down.

Your resort balcony! Below is the view from my NYE stay - room 5030, "standard" view at that time.

13nrkZ5EA8hnMc.gif

wPzhcqWFoXuak.gif
Holy smokes! What a great view! Thank you!
Just got word my BCV studio got filled but I'm good with that. I'm really feeling WL for this trip anyway. We have tried to stay there twice and somethjng always came up like the pool closure so we are ready! I've also read it's one of the prettiest places for the holidays. I'll keep fingers crossed its still decorated!

Holy smokes! What a great view! Thank you!
Just got word my BCV studio got filled but I'm good with that. I'm really feeling WL for this trip anyway. We have tried to stay there twice and somethjng always came up like the pool closure so we are ready! I've also read it's one of the prettiest places for the holidays. I'll keep fingers crossed its still decorated!

Also wanted to mention that they do special NYE fireworks for the Magic Kingdom four times between 12/30-12/31. We saw them three times! There was a 7:30 fireworks show and an 11:50 fireworks show both nights. Since the WL has dedicated transport (boat) to the Contemporary Resort, it makes dining at one of the Contemporary restaurants and then getting back to the WL a breeze. I believe you can watch the fireworks from the pedestrian walkway bridge thingy connecting Bay Lake Tower to the main Comtemporary A-frame in case you are not interested in the California Grill (which remains my favorite place to watch fireworks). But I will cross my fingers for you that the WL works out and you can get a crazy awesome fireworks view!!

Just returned from a great stay at the lodge. The new CL lounge is terrific. There is still seating around the railing so you can see into the lobby. Cm's were helpful and friendly. We were in Deluxe room 5000. It was a little bit of a walk but we really didn't mind. We would just hang out in the lounge. Also we got a knock on our door and it was CL Cm's telling us that they would stock our fridge each day with whatever we wanted. So we had water, juice, chocolate milk and beer delivered to us each day. We received daily turn down service without even requesting it. We watched the fireworks nightly from the CL balcony. We were the only ones there, it was awesome. The lodge was busy and we were told that they were at capacity but we didn't think it was bad. The food in the lounge was very good, really liked the strawberry-peach cobbler.

I used Touring Plans fax service and got the exact room I wanted just down one floor. #4012. Had a great view of the fireworks!!! Standard view. After the construction is done I bet the rooms in this area will be classified as a firework view room, or something of that nature.

Another thing I liked was where the laundry room was located. Not at the pool. Actually inside on the first floor.

I wish though that they would have updated safes instead of the ones with the key, or do all the resorts have the safes with keys in them? I should know, but I can't seem to recall.

We just got back from a one night stay in the villas necessitated by not being to get all four nights at the Grand Floridian. Thank goodness that last night wasn't available or we would never have discovered this hidden gem. We even tried to extend a night, but we're out of luck. I hate to say it, but we were more impressed with our studio than the one we had at GF. Will definitely come back.

Just returned from a great stay at the lodge. The new CL lounge is terrific. There is still seating around the railing so you can see into the lobby. Cm's were helpful and friendly. We were in Deluxe room 5000. It was a little bit of a walk but we really didn't mind. We would just hang out in the lounge. Also we got a knock on our door and it was CL Cm's telling us that they would stock our fridge each day with whatever we wanted. So we had water, juice, chocolate milk and beer delivered to us each day. We received daily turn down service without even requesting it. We watched the fireworks nightly from the CL balcony. We were the only ones there, it was awesome. The lodge was busy and we were told that they were at capacity but we didn't think it was bad. The food in the lounge was very good, really liked the strawberry-peach cobbler.
Did they have Angry Orchard hard cider or champagne by any chance? We got a bit spoiled last month at AKL cl. We changed our dates and arrive on DD actual 22nd birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter