Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Here now at Riverside and our trip has been great so far. We have been so lucky with everything and the busses have all been great!

We've done well with the buses too (I log all of my trips these days). We decided to leave the MK after Wishes tonight (I would have stayed on for EMH, but the park was rammed). We watched Wishes from the center of Main Street, next to Casey's, and after it finished we got to MK bus stop #28 by 10:20pm (we took a shortcut via the Emporium, but just regular walking speed). The queue was already into its third switchback lane by then, but three minutes later a bendy bus pulled in and we all made it aboard and were away from the MK by 10:25pm. Got off at the third stop (East Depot) and were in our room by 10:47. Not bad!

Somehow, when Housekeeping left, the night latch had slipped back over in to place so the door didn't open. Never knew it was possible.

How bizarre, the exact same thing happened to me yesterday afternoon! I propped the door open on the latch while standing right outside, but I wanted to walk a bit further away to do a live Facebook stream, so I pushed the night-latch back inside the room and shut the door firmly. I can't have pushed it quite in far enough though, as it must have bounced slightly and caught itself - and the same as you, I couldn't re-open the door (magic band was fine, it was physically jammed). Very embarrassing when you are still streaming live on Facebook! :blush: I contacted a CM and a maintenance guy was there in about 20 mins. He just shoved the door very hard and the partially-caught latch slipped off, although he said that if it had caught more fully he would have had to apply pressure to break the latch and then fit a new one once the door was open.

Andre

How bizarre, the exact same thing happened to me yesterday afternoon! I propped the door open on the latch while standing right outside, but I wanted to walk a bit further away to do a live Facebook stream, so I pushed the night-latch back inside the room and shut the door firmly. I can't have pushed it quite in far enough though, as it must have bounced slightly and caught itself - and the same as you, I couldn't re-open the door (magic band was fine, it was physically jammed). Very embarrassing when you are still streaming live on Facebook! :blush: I contacted a CM and a maintenance guy was there in about 20 mins. He just shoved the door very hard and the partially-caught latch slipped off, although he said that if it had caught more fully he would have had to apply pressure to break the latch and then fit a new one once the door was open.

Andre

So strange! I'll have to remember not to prop my door open like that when I'm back there.

Andre
That is amazing that it happened to you too! Shows that Maintenance was right in that it happens way more than you'd think. Ours must have been caught fully because they did have to replace the latch.

That is amazing that it happened to you too! Shows that Maintenance was right in that it happens way more than you'd think. Ours must have been caught fully because they did have to replace the latch.
I saw someone post about this happening at OKW the other day (can't remember which thread) but if I remember correctly, she said she was locked out of her room from early morning to late evening. Disney gave her a ton of additional fast passes, comped her room, and paid for her dinner at the resort. Even though unfortunate things happen, Disney always goes above and beyond to try to make it right. It's why I (and probably the majority of us) keep going back year and after year.

I saw someone post about this happening at OKW the other day (can't remember which thread) but if I remember correctly, she said she was locked out of her room from early morning to late evening. Disney gave her a ton of additional fast passes, comped her room, and paid for her dinner at the resort. Even though unfortunate things happen, Disney always goes above and beyond to try to make it right. It's why I (and probably the majority of us) keep going back year and after year.
Wow, wonder what took so long to get maintenance there. Maybe DVC has their own system that takes longer? I probably would have been quite bent out of shape had we had to sit around all day without a room. When the CM first called Maintenance the at first told them to give us another room. They explained that would be fine but our bags were in the room we were in, we hadn't just arrived.

Wow, wonder what took so long to get maintenance there. Maybe DVC has their own system that takes longer? I probably would have been quite bent out of shape had we had to sit around all day without a room. When the CM first called Maintenance the at first told them to give us another room. They explained that would be fine but our bags were in the room we were in, we hadn't just arrived.

I am starting to wonder if I should take some blue painters tape and tape that thing down when we leave the room. Wondering if that would work.

I am starting to wonder if I should take some blue painters tape and tape that thing down when we leave the room. Wondering if that would work.
That's a good idea.

I'm going to make a mental note of this. I would have never known that the latch could do this.

In her post she said maintenance was there all day but couldn't get it fixed. It may have been a different issue with the door. I'll have to see if I can find the original post.

You could but Housekeeping uses them. If you did that and they wanted to use it they'd probably just remove it

Alligator Bayou room question - is there an outlet near the window? I can't remember if there is one under the table as you enter the room?

So i have repeatedly read that the tap/fountain water in the parks themselves has a sulphury smell and taste. But I haven't found much information about whether the same issue exists on the resorts, and particularly in the tap water in the rooms. Could someone comment on the tap water in the POR rooms.

So i have repeatedly read that the tap/fountain water in the parks themselves has a sulphury smell and taste. But I haven't found much information about whether the same issue exists on the resorts, and particularly in the tap water in the rooms. Could someone comment on the tap water in the POR rooms.
Tap water in all of The Orlando area (maybe more) has a strong sulfur taste/smell. It's the local water supply, not Disney, that's the culprit. So yes, it's bad from Grand Floridian to All Star.

For anyone staying at Port Orleans at the moment (or if you are just in the area and want to pop by) we've got a small informal meet at the River Roost Lounge (next to the POR lobby) at 7pm on Saturday 6th August. Everyone is welcome, see you there?

Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1137482842981655/

Andre
Darn, just left and won't be back till the end of August. Have fun! Someone have a Turbo Dog for me ;)

Yep. Anything out of a faucet is icky. My kids did find ONE water fountain in MK that tasted like it was filtered. I can't remember where it was, though.

I just booked a 7-night stay. The web site had a red-lettered warning about Resort refurbishment!
What exactly is being refurbished?!?!
Our stay dates are during Thanksgiving week .

I just booked a 7-night stay. The web site had a red-lettered warning about Resort refurbishment!
What exactly is being refurbished?!?!
Our stay dates are during Thanksgiving week .

Are you sure it was for Port Orleans Riverside? The food court at Port Orleans French Quarter is being refurbished, which means that the POR food court could be more crowded, but I'm not aware of any refurbishment taking place at POR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter