Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

I think the issue still remains that their booking system is unclear and I guess if a guest who booked a Royal room twelve months ago wanted to bring their dogs and they ring and ask they are likely to be told yes.

Or if they simply turn up with their dogs in the car and expect to add the extra charge onto their room account, the blog and website simply say that Riverside is now a dog-friendly resort. I really do think Disney needs to do something more specific in its communications about the need to preregister, and the room types that are supported. The problem is they are reacting on the fly to this whole situation, which is a mess entirely of their own making as they announced it with far too little notice (and without even conducting one of their usual guest surveys first).

Andre

So we are now a few days into the trial of the new Dog Friendly Rooms policy at four Walt Disney World resort hotels, including our own Port Orleans Riverside, and the public outcry on social media and via communications directly to Disney has taken everyone by surprise - heck, it even took me aback, and I know how vocal Disney fans can be. I think it's safe to say that Disney completely underestimated the passion that many people would have on this subject, and the initial plans are being modified and policies rewritten on the fly at the moment. This process will probably remain fluid over the next few weeks, and Disney is closely monitoring and listening to the feedback and will continue to adjust procedures to try to make this trial work for everyone.

Initially, as will have been seen from the printed Dog Relief Area maps, it was intended that all these happy fluffy pets (which everyone would surely like) would be permitted in any type of guest booking at Riverside, and the early announcements did state that the whole resort - barring certain areas such as food & beverage and swimming pools - would be canine accessible as long as the animals were kept under control and on a leash. However over the last 48 hours that intent has been severely trimmed back and they are now aiming to try to restrict dogs to only Standard and Garden View rooms, and the current intention from the room inventory department at Riverside is to use building 24 as much as possible for any guests who book to stay with their pets. This building is well away from the common areas, is located right next to the parking lot to make getting pets to and from rooms easier, and has a nice grassy area nearby to allow dogs to be exercised.

However, although the telephone Reservations Center is now advising guests who wish to bring dogs with them that this will only be possible for Standard and Garden View rooms, the initial announcements - and even the currently posted wording on the Disney website - do not require guests to book that way, nor to preregister their dogs. Thus it is entirely possible that people who have booked for other room categories using the Disney website, via travel agents, through Expedia, etc. will simply show up at the front desk accompanied by their pet(s) and ask to pay the daily fee. This could mean that, in the short term at least, dogs will still need to be accommodated in other areas of the resort in order to comply with existing bookings. This will of course be closely monitored and subsequent deep-cleans arranged for any affected rooms, but at this stage it cannot be guaranteed that other areas of the resort will remain completely dog-free.

I have reached out to my contacts at the resort who have said that so far (i.e. in the first three days of the program) they have not yet had a single dog staying at the resort. Over the next seven days there are currently just four one-night reservations with associated comments indicating that the guest plans to bring a dog with them, against more than 100 comments over the same seven-day period asking to be assigned to a room away from the dog friendly areas. Those four one-night reservations are apparently all from local Florida residents, and personally I would not be at all surprised to find that some or all of them turn out to be from social media aware guests, or even bloggers or website owners, testing out the new policies for themselves. If there have been any booking cancellations because of this new policy then they have already been replaced with new reservations, as Riverside is either sold out or very close to it for the rest of the month.

Please remember however that we are still only three days into a year-long trial period and there is plenty of time for any of the above information to change in line with practical needs and guest comments and experiences.

I have updated my FAQ page with all the latest information and will continue to note changes there, http://www.portorleans.org/faqs.php#Dogs

[I've posted this here as well as the (very!) long dogs thread, as important information is just getting lost in there]

Andre

I tried to change my standard room reservation to a preferred room for next week but was told there is nothing available

So we are now a few days into the trial of the new Dog Friendly Rooms policy at four Walt Disney World resort hotels, including our own Port Orleans Riverside, and the public outcry on social media and via communications directly to Disney has taken everyone by surprise - heck, it even took me aback, and I know how vocal Disney fans can be. I think it's safe to say that Disney completely underestimated the passion that many people would have on this subject, and the initial plans are being modified and policies rewritten on the fly at the moment. This process will probably remain fluid over the next few weeks, and Disney is closely monitoring and listening to the feedback and will continue to adjust procedures to try to make this trial work for everyone.

Initially, as will have been seen from the printed Dog Relief Area maps, it was intended that all these happy fluffy pets (which everyone would surely like) would be permitted in any type of guest booking at Riverside, and the early announcements did state that the whole resort - barring certain areas such as food & beverage and swimming pools - would be canine accessible as long as the animals were kept under control and on a leash. However over the last 48 hours that intent has been severely trimmed back and they are now aiming to try to restrict dogs to only Standard and Garden View rooms, and the current intention from the room inventory department at Riverside is to use building 24 as much as possible for any guests who book to stay with their pets. This building is well away from the common areas, is located right next to the parking lot to make getting pets to and from rooms easier, and has a nice grassy area nearby to allow dogs to be exercised.

However, although the telephone Reservations Center is now advising guests who wish to bring dogs with them that this will only be possible for Standard and Garden View rooms, the initial announcements - and even the currently posted wording on the Disney website - do not require guests to book that way, nor to preregister their dogs. Thus it is entirely possible that people who have booked for other room categories using the Disney website, via travel agents, through Expedia, etc. will simply show up at the front desk accompanied by their pet(s) and ask to pay the daily fee. This could mean that, in the short term at least, dogs will still need to be accommodated in other areas of the resort in order to comply with existing bookings. This will of course be closely monitored and subsequent deep-cleans arranged for any affected rooms, but at this stage it cannot be guaranteed that other areas of the resort will remain completely dog-free.

I have reached out to my contacts at the resort who have said that so far (i.e. in the first three days of the program) they have not yet had a single dog staying at the resort. Over the next seven days there are currently just four one-night reservations with associated comments indicating that the guest plans to bring a dog with them, against more than 100 comments over the same seven-day period asking to be assigned to a room away from the dog friendly areas. Those four one-night reservations are apparently all from local Florida residents, and personally I would not be at all surprised to find that some or all of them turn out to be from social media aware guests, or even bloggers or website owners, testing out the new policies for themselves. If there have been any booking cancellations because of this new policy then they have already been replaced with new reservations, as Riverside is either sold out or very close to it for the rest of the month.

Please remember however that we are still only three days into a year-long trial period and there is plenty of time for any of the above information to change in line with practical needs and guest comments and experiences.

I have updated my FAQ page with all the latest information and will continue to note changes there, http://www.portorleans.org/faqs.php#Dogs

[I've posted this here as well as the (very!) long dogs thread, as important information is just getting lost in there]

Andre
That’s pretty much what I expected. Resorts aren’t going to be over run with dogs and in fact there will be very few if any on any given day. Thanks for the update Andre.

Or if they simply turn up with their dogs in the car and expect to add the extra charge onto their room account, the blog and website simply say that Riverside is now a dog-friendly resort. I really do think Disney needs to do something more specific in its communications about the need to preregister, and the room types that are supported. The problem is they are reacting on the fly to this whole situation, which is a mess entirely of their own making as they announced it with far too little notice (and without even conducting one of their usual guest surveys first).

Andre

I don't want every thread to go to the dogs, but the only way this whole mess makes sense is if they surveyed park visitors who don't stay on site and no dogs allowed is the number one reason why...

Wellll.... I decided I need to go check this out first hand... so heading to PoR in January. lol

I was booked at POP for my upcoming "Christmas" trip (Nov. 28-30) but I've been keeping an eye open to see if any availability opened up at a Moderate that wasn't CBR and today a bunch of availability opened up at POR, including availability for AP discount rooms -- so I pulled the trigger and upgraded to POR. I've stayed at POFQ, but never POR. Very excited. :earboy2:

This new policy is really awful and unfortunately, as much as I love port orleans, I would not stay there again if they continue to allow dogs. We never pick dog hotels and always make sure we pick a hotel that does not allow pets. Hotels are unsanitary enough as it is.

Since this is a trial and they are definitely listening I would be sure to share that with Disney.

This new policy is really awful and unfortunately, as much as I love port orleans, I would not stay there again if they continue to allow dogs. We never pick dog hotels and always make sure we pick a hotel that does not allow pets. Hotels are unsanitary enough as it is.
Same here. I'd booked at POR for this November and when they announced the new dog policy, I asked to be moved to any WDW hotel that does not allow dogs, but everything was full during my stay, so I ended up having to cancel and stay offsite. Until it became dog-friendly, POR was my favorite moderate and one of my favorite overall WDW resorts, which I used to consider my home away from home, but I won't stay there while it has gone to the dogs. Very sad that they ruined it for so many of us with this new policy.

I did email Guest Relations with my concerns, but they replied with a form letter that has gone to many guests, that extols the purported advantages of the dog policy, and completely ignores the issues I brought up.

Last edited:

Andre

Thanks Andre for posting this. I am having trouble keeping up with the main dogs thread. We have a reservation for August 2018 and have Garden View Royal Rooms booked. Do you think these Garden View rooms will be used for dogs, or because they are Royal Rooms we'll be ok? I have allergies and my DD is scared of dogs so if there was a risk we could end up near them I would prefer to look into switching resorts sooner rather than later.

Thanks Andre for posting this. I am having trouble keeping up with the main dogs thread. We have a reservation for August 2018 and have Garden View Royal Rooms booked. Do you think these Garden View rooms will be used for dogs, or because they are Royal Rooms we'll be ok? I have allergies and my DD is scared of dogs so if there was a risk we could end up near them I would prefer to look into switching resorts sooner rather than later.

As I said in my post, they plan to use building 24 as dog-friendly, which is the other side of the resort from the Royal Rooms. They are also trying to limit bookings to Standard and Garden View only, which again precludes the royal buildings. Of course nothing can be guaranteed though (again, read my post) so if you are concerned about a medical condition then it can't hurt to have that noted on your reservation anyway.

Andre

In my mind the only way this would work is if building 24 became dog only and if they would not allow dogs in other buildings at all. Like if the dog building was booked, you just would not be able to stay with a dog. But Disney does not seem to be able to have many rules and enforce them. When I told dh about wdw allowing dogs last night, he was in disbelief and said (before I said anything) that he would not stay at a hotel that allowed dogs (other than service dogs I assume). He said Disney must be hurting for money to implement such a dumb policy. He also said why on earth would anyone take a dog to a theme park?

Same here. I'd booked at POR for this November and when they announced the new dog policy, I asked to be moved to any WDW hotel that does not allow dogs, but everything was full during my stay, so I ended up having to cancel and stay offsite. Until it became dog-friendly, POR was my favorite moderate and one of my favorite overall WDW resorts, which I used to consider my home away from home, but I won't stay there while it has gone to the dogs. Very sad that they ruined it for so many of us with this new policy.

I did email Guest Relations with my concerns, but they replied with a form letter that has gone to many guests, that extols the purported advantages of the dog policy, and completely ignores the issues I brought up.
If you reply to their email to say you are not satisfied with their form letter response, you will get a phone call.

Just booked my trip for January 27-February 3rd. Last time I stayed here it was still called Dixie Landings. Stayed in Alligator Bayou then, hoping to stay in Magnolia Bend this time.

This is my situation exactly! I'm excited to stay now that it is Riverside, I have fond memories of Dixie Landings.

In my mind the only way this would work is if building 24 became dog only and if they would not allow dogs in other buildings at all. Like if the dog building was booked, you just would not be able to stay with a dog. But Disney does not seem to be able to have many rules and enforce them. When I told dh about wdw allowing dogs last night, he was in disbelief and said (before I said anything) that he would not stay at a hotel that allowed dogs (other than service dogs I assume). He said Disney must be hurting for money to implement such a dumb policy. He also said why on earth would anyone take a dog to a theme park?
This is what my husband said as well. I also did not give an opinion, I simply linked him to the Disney Parks blog post. He’s never been to WDW before, and he said that if it expands he won’t go back. I think I’ve talked him down from that, but this affects a lot more people than was expected I think, for various reasons. Either way, I hope Disney is able to maintain POR to keep it as beautiful as it has been in the past.

If this has been asked before, I apologize. Does anyone know the order of the bus stops?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter