Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Should we check in when we arrive (even though our room may not be ready), or check in when we return from the park?
We arrive in the morning all the time and always make sure we are checked in before going to the parks. There usually isn't a long line to check in that early in the morning, but there will be at 4 pm. I can never relax until I am sure that we have an assigned room. Many times our room is ready when we arrive.

but what if the bands don't work at the park? What is the exact procedure I need to follow?
If you can see your tickets in your MDE account then they should work at the park. Occassionally they don't work and the CM at the touch post (entry point) will call over a supervisor to settle the matter. A worse case scenario would be that you would have to go to guest services, but I think they can usually take care of it at the touch post.

We arrive in the morning all the time and always make sure we are checked in before going to the parks. There usually isn't a long line to check in that early in the morning, but there will be at 4 pm. I can never relax until I am sure that we have an assigned room. Many times our room is ready when we arrive.

So we can check in and find out where our room is at say 10 a.m., even if it isn't actually ready for us to check in yet? does it matter if we do online check in or not? I like to stop at the desk to physically check in, get a birthday button and be officially welcomed (silly I know lol!) But also do online check in cause it gives me something to do while I'm waiting for the days to pass till it's time to go to WDW!

So we can check in and find out where our room is at say 10 a.m., even if it isn't actually ready for us to check in yet? does it matter if we do online check in or not? I like to stop at the desk to physically check in, get a birthday button and be officially welcomed (silly I know lol!) But also do online check in cause it gives me something to do while I'm waiting for the days to pass till it's time to go to WDW!
They won't tell you your room number until your room is actually ready.

You won't know your room number until it's ready. However, if you check in online I think you can request early check-in. We received our room text around 1pm last time and that was without requesting early check-in!

We always do online check in. I like to make a room request and like getting the text with the room number. I also like to check in with a CM and know where my room is located if it isn't ready yet. They won't give you the room number but they will give you a general idea of location. They can also see if they can move you to a room that is ready.

Do you have to book travel insurance at the time of booking or can you add later?
Normally at the time of booking. They don't want people buying it after the fact as it's generally a case of oh $hit something g happened and now we need to use it

Sometimes, not always, your room could actually be ready. Other times they can send you a text when it is.
Either way, as someone mentioned, lines are manageable earlier. We always check in early. 50% of the time we have our room already, and both times we went to POR we did.
You can still do online check in and then go check in to the desk. It will be easier, is all. Then you can set your mind at ease with the bands.

We are booking Royal rooms with river view. We have requested Oak Manor. We are wondering what the closest bus stop will be. Will it be quicker to go to the main bus stop or is there another one that will be better to use. Also, now that Disney has put up monitors at the main bus stops, we are curious if those same monitors are on the outlying bus stops as well.

This is my first time at this resort so what are your favorite tips you would like to share. My daughter/son-in-law have stayed here before but I have not. We have seen Bob many times and he is at the top of our must do list at the resort. I love carriage rides and I am wondering if it is worth the big dollars. Thanks for any input.

We'll be staying at port orleans riverside for the first time, in two weeks. We'll be changing hotels from art of animation. Can Disney transfer our luggage between the two hotels?

Also, thinking about going one day to universal. Should I get a rental car for that one day or is there a transportation service we can use to get there and back?

Thank you for any help offered.

We'll be staying at port orleans riverside for the first time, in two weeks. We'll be changing hotels from art of animation. Can Disney transfer our luggage between the two hotels?

Also, thinking about going one day to universal. Should I get a rental car for that one day or is there a transportation service we can use to get there and back?

We'll be arriving at POR in two weeks as well!

I'm not sure about Disney transferring your bags, but as far as getting to Universal, we're going to use Lyft or Uber. When we plugged our destinations into Ride Guru, https://ride.guru/ for a trip from POR to Cabana Bay Resort, both showed up as costing $14.11. (One way.) Cheaper than it would be for a taxi.

I hope someone can help you with the baggage question.

We are booking Royal rooms with river view. We have requested Oak Manor. We are wondering what the closest bus stop will be. Will it be quicker to go to the main bus stop or is there another one that will be better to use. Also, now that Disney has put up monitors at the main bus stops, we are curious if those same monitors are on the outlying bus stops as well.

This is my first time at this resort so what are your favorite tips you would like to share. My daughter/son-in-law have stayed here before but I have not. We have seen Bob many times and he is at the top of our must do list at the resort. I love carriage rides and I am wondering if it is worth the big dollars. Thanks for any input.

We stayed in the other RR building, Parterre Place, on our last trip and found it easiest to walk to the South depot at the main building. If you are close to the footbridge, that one may be most convenient for you.

Yes, Disney can transfer your luggage. From what I understand, it can take some time for them to do so. We split stays very often, but we are car renters and throw our luggage in the car.

Also, now that Disney has put up monitors at the main bus stops, we are curious if those same monitors are on the outlying bus stops as well.

They were at all POR bus stops last year (May 2016), so I wouldn't think they've removed them. They were absolutely unreliable, though, it felt like the times they showed were random (saying the next bus to Epcot would be in 15 minutes only to see one coming, for instance). They might have improved since last year, though. I don't know the situation at the main bus stop, but we used the POFQ stop once, and that one seemed to be spot on.

Yes, Disney resorts will will transfer your luggage. Bell Services will handle it for you. Be sure to keep a day bag with anything you might need before late afternoon, as most often you won't see your luggage until about 4:00pm. You will need to be in your room before you can call bell services at your new resort to have it delivered.

Last edited:

The South Bus stop might be a little closer since you are river view, but the East Bus stop isn't that much further and I like that one better because of much shorter lines and less confusion. You would have a better chance of getting a seat at the East bus stop. Yes, all the bus stops have the bus time boards at Riverside.
The horse drawn carriage rides are worth the 45 dollar fee for a 25 minute ride. The fee is not per person, so it's a pretty good deal if you have 4 people riding.
Here is my tip about the food court: The turkey dinner is enough for two people if you choose mashed potatoes twice for your two sides, and the ice cream cookie sandwich is two very large cookies and a huge pile of ice cream served on a plate for an economical dessert that's more than enough for two people.
Just one more thing: POR is a gorgeous resort, and you are going to LOVE it. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Just looking at a map and it lools like there are 4 bus stops at POR. Is this true? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to using one stop over another?

Just looking at a map and it lools like there are 4 bus stops at POR. Is this true? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to using one stop over another?

My info is taken from @andrewilley 's incredible website about everything Port Orleans:

http://www.portorleans.org/buses.php

Yes it's true. The bus stops go in this order: (sometimes French Quarter) -> West -> North -> East -> South -> Theme Park

During the busy periods in the morning, the buses to MK will change routing: one bus will serve South only and leave for The Kingdom. Another bus will come and serve just West, North, East, and leave, bypassing South altogether.

The advantage of getting on an earlier stop means a better chance of getting a seat, or getting on the bus at all. The disadvantage is being on the bus longer before getting to the eventual destination. The later stops, obviously, everything is flipped: less time on the bus, itself, but it might be full.

The south depot is probably going to be closer and that's the one we typically use but the with the crowds and fighting people to get on a bus at the south depot we tried the east with mixed results. A lot less stress with less people but waited 55 min on a AK bus one morning and 35 on a HS. Never had that problem using the south depot. I always find the monitors fairly useless.

My info is taken from @andrewilley 's incredible website about everything Port Orleans:

http://www.portorleans.org/buses.php

Yes it's true. The bus stops go in this order: (sometimes French Quarter) -> West -> North -> East -> South -> Theme Park

During the busy periods in the morning, the buses to MK will change routing: one bus will serve South only and leave for The Kingdom. Another bus will come and serve just West, North, East, and leave, bypassing South altogether.

The advantage of getting on an earlier stop means a better chance of getting a seat, or getting on the bus at all. The disadvantage is being on the bus longer before getting to the eventual destination. The later stops, obviously, everything is flipped: less time on the bus, itself, but it might be full.
Also, you are more likely to catch an earlier bus by going to the stop the bus gets to last. While you might just miss the bus at it's first stop, you would just make it at its last stop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter