Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

In 2013 we paid for a standard room. We did online check in with no room requests and arrived early in the day. We were given room 1130 or some room close to that. We didn't realize it until we made the walk to the room but that's an upgrade from standard room to river view. It was gorgeous. This years trip we paid for standard room again and did online check in. Arrived about the same time as the previous year. We had requested connecting rooms to another party. Our room ended up being 6212. Once again we got an upgrade, standard room to garden view. This room was also great. The view was of the courtyard with the frogs spitting water. I have yet to have a bad experience at POFQ. We are looking to go to wdw again next year in the fall and we're thinking of staying at a value but I just love POFQ so much I'm not sure that I could stay at a value and not regret staying at "home". I have visited most of the other resorts but I find something wrong with all of them. I have yet to find an issue at POFQ and I tell everyone how great it is. Maybe if all the other resorts were smaller I'd feel a bit different but walking down the beautiful shaded streets of POFQ how can one not fall in love with the place.

Let me tell you, thinking about my next trip, my brain started getting all practical and talking to me about Pop Century, and I did some serious looking at it and I'm sure it would be fine, but... In the end, my heart belongs to POFQ and I know I'm going to end up going back there! It's just so pretty and relaxing and I'm with you, it feels like "home" now. After walking all over the place in 2 trips, I'm convinced they could put me in any room location at POFQ and I'd be happy.

I have a family of 5. Staying at AOA suites. We've stayed there in the past. Also suites. We will be arriving in August. We are planning on doing the BB offer again (if it's released) for August 2015. By August 2015 our children will be DD12,DS5, DS4. We've been going every year since DD was 3months old. Obviously it's getting more expensive to go, as the kids get older. We fly in from NYC so that cost is pretty overwhelming in itself. We want to cut costs somehow. My questions are, will we be comfortable at POFQ? Is the cost that much of a difference? What about the suites at AS? Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a family of 5. Staying at AOA suites. We've stayed there in the past. Also suites. We will be arriving in August. We are planning on doing the BB offer again (if it's released) for August 2015. By August 2015 our children will be DD12,DS5, DS4. We've been going every year since DD was 3months old. Obviously it's getting more expensive to go, as the kids get older. We fly in from NYC so that cost is pretty overwhelming in itself. We want to cut costs somehow. My questions are, will we be comfortable at POFQ? Is the cost that much of a difference? What about the suites at AS? Does anyone have any suggestions?

You won't be able to stay at POFQ with 5 in the family. But Riverside does have some rooms that fit 5 with a Murphy-type bed for one of your younger children. Those rooms will be much cheaper than the suites at AoA. Honestly, you could get two connecting rooms at any of the All Stars or Pop and pay less than you are for a suite at AoA. Even though AoA is a value resort, the suites are very expensive!

I just looked very quickly for a one-night stay this August. Two rooms at an All Star would be $212, 1 room at POR would be $184, the AoA suite is $266! Multiply that difference over the course of your vacation and it can be a big savings!

Now, if you're doing the Free Dining BB--and feel okay squeezing into one room!--do the POR room so you get the regular dining package instead of only the QS level. That's the other thing with AoA--even though you're paying so much, it's considered a value so only gives the QS plan instead of the regular dining plan for free.

You won't be able to stay at POFQ with 5 in the family. But Riverside does have some rooms that fit 5 with a Murphy-type bed for one of your younger children. Those rooms will be much cheaper than the suites at AoA. Honestly, you could get two connecting rooms at any of the All Stars or Pop and pay less than you are for a suite at AoA. Even though AoA is a value resort, the suites are very expensive! I just looked very quickly for a one-night stay this August. Two rooms at an All Star would be $212, 1 room at POR would be $184, the AoA suite is $266! Multiply that difference over the course of your vacation and it can be a big savings! Now, if you're doing the Free Dining BB--and feel okay squeezing into one room!--do the POR room so you get the regular dining package instead of only the QS level. That's the other thing with AoA--even though you're paying so much, it's considered a value so only gives the QS plan instead of the regular dining plan for free.
this would save a lot of money. We usually stay for about 12 days and I pay to upgrade the free dining, so this would save some money as well. Now I can't wait to see what next years trip will cost. Thank you so much. :)

Hi! We will be staying at POFQ October 18-24th, and we are so excited! I haven't been to WDW since I was a child, and my husband and daughters (5 and 2 1/2) have never been. Our flight will be landing at 10:30 am, and we will take ME to the hotel. I'm assuming our room will most likely not be ready when we get there. Since my in-laws will be arriving the day before, will it be possible for them to leave us their room key at the front desk while they're at the parks? Are there even room keys anymore? It would be nice to have somewhere to settle in with the toddler before we head out for whatever we decide to do that afternoon. Thanks!

We (myself, DH, and DS's 7 and 5 at time of travel) are planning an Oct 2015 trip. We have stayed at POR twice and the Poly before children and CR with kids last year. We are going back and forth between Poly, CR, and POFQ. I am leaning toward POFQ so we can have a longer stay. If we were to get a river view room what is the walking distance to the main building and bus stop. We are choosing FQ over POR since it's smaller. Any other good tips we should know?

Question about the boat to Downtown Disney...

Years ago, my family and I stayed at POR ver Thanksgiving, and I remember taking the boat to Downtown Disney. I can't remember if the boat was ever full when we got to POFQ, but...

I'm staying over Marathon Weekend - which I know isn't AS crazy crowded as Thanksgiving...yet - and am wondering if I'll most likely be ok catching the boat from FQ or if I should plan to walk over to Riverside to catch it just to be safe.

What has been your experience with the boat and it's capacity?

Thanks!

Hi! We will be staying at POFQ October 18-24th, and we are so excited! I haven't been to WDW since I was a child, and my husband and daughters (5 and 2 1/2) have never been. Our flight will be landing at 10:30 am, and we will take ME to the hotel. I'm assuming our room will most likely not be ready when we get there. Since my in-laws will be arriving the day before, will it be possible for them to leave us their room key at the front desk while they're at the parks? Are there even room keys anymore? It would be nice to have somewhere to settle in with the toddler before we head out for whatever we decide to do that afternoon. Thanks!

I will be at POFQ the exact same dates as you! On one of my visits, I had a very early flight and arrived at POFQ around 9:00 am. Surprisingly my room was ready so you never know. I'm not sure if they still issue room keys since magic bands were introduced.

By the way, welcome to the DIS! :welcome:

Years ago, my family and I stayed at POR ver Thanksgiving, and I remember taking the boat to Downtown Disney. I can't remember if the boat was ever full when we got to POFQ, but...

The boats to DD are only filled to half capacity so there's room for others at the next stop.

I will be at POFQ the exact same dates as you! On one of my visits, I had a very early flight and arrived at POFQ around 9:00 am. Surprisingly my room was ready so you never know. I'm not sure if they still issue room keys since magic bands were introduced. By the way, welcome to the DIS! :welcome:

Thank you, hopefully that will be the case for us too! That would certainly make everything easier.

I'm staying over Marathon Weekend - which I know isn't AS crazy crowded as Thanksgiving...yet - and am wondering if I'll most likely be ok catching the boat from FQ or if I should plan to walk over to Riverside to catch it just to be safe.

What has been your experience with the boat and it's capacity?

Thanks!

I was just there last week, and never had an issue with the boat capacity, even on a Saturday.

If we were to get a river view room what is the walking distance to the main building and bus stop. We are choosing FQ over POR since it's smaller. Any other good tips we should know?

Even from the River view rooms, the walks aren't that long, it really is a small resort (see map image in first post). From a River View room in (say) building 5 you are just a couple of minutes from the food court door, and even from the furthest River View rooms you could get (in building 1) it's an absolute maximum of about 300 yards. I would suggest requesting buildings 5, 6 or 7 as your best choices as those are on the 'bus stop' side of the resort - but 2 and even 1 are also very nice.

See www.portorleans.org for lots more info on POFQ (and on POR, which is a very short walk away and you can share all the facilities, including the swimming pools).

I was just there last week, and never had an issue with the boat capacity, even on a Saturday.

At POFQ you probably have even a better chance than at Riverside, as they always leave some spare seating capacity on the boats when they leave POR to allow for POFQ guests.

Andre

Thank you! (New user name since my phone logged me out and I have a new email).
I'm pretty familiar with POR since I've stayed there twice. We will have two little ones so I'm looking for something close to the main building but a quiet relaxing view as well. We figured building 5 would be our best choice. Thanks again!

Question... We've stayed at FQ previously, but I cannot remember...

I know they serve mashed potatoes in the food court... Does anyone know if they serve baked potatoes?

Thanks!

D~

Boats are still running - dock at DTD is in Pleasure Island due to construction. We had a less than stellar night there due to the crowds and construction. The boats stopped due to weather so we took a cab back to PO.

Didn't see baked potatoes last week! ;-)

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter