Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

Here now in refurbished room in building one. It appears that floors 2 and 3 of building one are complete. Yesterday first floor doors were painted and I saw bedding being delivered this morning. Looks like the first floor of building one will be ready soon. Building 5 is currently closed for refurbishment.

We will be here on the 25th and hoping we can get Building 6. It was originally going to be under refurb, but with them being a little behind I’m hoping we can get it.

Looking at staying at POFQ mid-week after April 21st 2019 (Easter). Will the crowds be down some since it will be after Easter? Also, is it worth it to book a River view and will all the rooms have been refurbished by then? Thank you!
While it's always a bit busy during Spring I think it will be significantly lower that week than Easter week. It's a late Easter so even Easter week will probably not be as crowded in 2019 as it was this year.

Does anyone know if they currently have hand dipped ice cream or if it's still just the gelato in the food court? We used to get the cookie ice cream sandwiches with hand dipped ice cream and were hoping they would return.

So excited. I have just booked our trip for next Feb. I was there last Feb with my MIL for her 75th birthday, her first Disney trip and my first onsite stay. DH was very jealous when we got back so we have booked for the two of us so he can run the Half Marathon next year for the WDW half of his Castle du Chateau medal. Been planning for months and months and finally the UK Free Dining offer opened up. Can’t wait to come back :)

Does anyone know if they currently have hand dipped ice cream or if it's still just the gelato in the food court? We used to get the cookie ice cream sandwiches with hand dipped ice cream and were hoping they would return.
Yes, at least two weeks ago they had hand dipped ice cream.

Hi all, quiet over here! I was at POFQ from 4/9 - 4/13 and just wanted to give a bit of an update. I love POFQ, this is my 2nd time staying solo, and I'm not sure why I'd go elsewhere (even though I do).

Pros:
  • Requested a certain room in Building 6 on TouringPlans. I will say that POFQ did their best to get me that room, and did get me really close to what I wanted (one floor up and one door over). This leads to a con later, though.
  • The pool is one of my favorites. Rarely crowded, plenty of chairs, usually not a crush at the hot tub.
  • The room I got (6309) wasn't refurbished yet, which I wanted. Plenty of H20 stuff, and when I asked housekeeping for a bit more the next day they gave me 3 of each thing- super generous!
  • Food court service was always pretty quick and I could always find a seat.
  • They have one of the better stocked alcohol selections in the gift shop, much better than AKL.
  • Disney Springs boat- lovely ride, and quick.
  • Transportation in general: never had much of a wait going to or coming from the parks, never a long ride, and never any sharing with Riverside. Only had standing-room-only buses one morning...think it was MK.
  • I got to wake up every morning and have my breakfast by the frog fountain!
Cons:
  • Do you guys just have good beignet luck? Mine's terrible. I just...there's no flavor. If you don't get a mouthful of powdered sugar, it just tastes like nothing. I've given them 2 chances (1st time they were uncooked in middle), and I need to learn my lesson and stop getting them. Oh well!
  • Food in general I didn't think was stellar. Got the chicken biscuit thing which was OK at best, and the catfish po'boy which had way too much bread. I realize it's QS, but I was pretty 'meh' about everything.
  • Since they were cleaning a certain room for me it took awhile...which is all relative, because it was ready well before the 3pm check-in, but I had been at the resort since 8:30 so it felt like forever.
  • My coveted room had a connecting door and connected to a family who liked to sing songs late at night while I was trying to sleep. Never had sound issues before, but man.
  • Construction is loud in the middle of the day. Lots of power washers or something? Constant "whrrrrrrrr" while trying to enjoy a riverside stroll.

Anyway, I love FQ and it's my home, cons and all. Happy to answer any questions while my brain is still fresh.

Hi all, quiet over here! I was at POFQ from 4/9 - 4/13 and just wanted to give a bit of an update. I love POFQ, this is my 2nd time staying solo, and I'm not sure why I'd go elsewhere (even though I do).
I'm closing in on my third stay there (second time solo) and it seems you and I have the same experiences. I'm planning a January trip and considering staying off-site to save money - and then I think of French Quarter...

I'm requesting a specific room in Bld. 6, too. Fingers crossed. My first stay there was in Bld. 1 overlooking the fountain - beautiful!
Agree on the alcohol selections.
And on the beignet's - not good at all. But I love the fried chicken and the red beans and rice and the greens. Not very authentic but quite good. Always wanted to try the po'boy - guess I'll skip it.

I love the walk over to Riverside and the boat to DS.

I'm closing in on my third stay there (second time solo) and it seems you and I have the same experiences. I'm planning a January trip and considering staying off-site to save money - and then I think of French Quarter...

I'm requesting a specific room in Bld. 6, too. Fingers crossed. My first stay there was in Bld. 1 overlooking the fountain - beautiful!
Agree on the alcohol selections.
And on the beignet's - not good at all. But I love the fried chicken and the red beans and rice and the greens. Not very authentic but quite good. Always wanted to try the po'boy - guess I'll skip it.

I love the walk over to Riverside and the boat to DS.

Yeah, I booked a (very tentative) trip in October and chose Pop Century to save some money...it's almost painful that I won't be at FQ!

Never checked out Building 1. First time I was in Building 5 overlooking the green. Much closer to the lobby, but I love that frog fountain by 6.

Will have to try your food selections next time!

Have to say I also like your ticker...Rue D'Baga is clearly the superior FQ street.

I am so excited to come back to POFQ in August! We're booked in a river view room. Is it possible to get a ground floor, river view? I love ground floor. Lol

Pros:
  • Requested a certain room in Building 6 on TouringPlans. I will say that POFQ did their best to get me that room, and did get me really close to what I wanted (one floor up and one door over). This leads to a con later, though.
  • The pool is one of my favorites. Rarely crowded, plenty of chairs, usually not a crush at the hot tub.
  • The room I got (6309) wasn't refurbished yet, which I wanted. Plenty of H20 stuff, and when I asked housekeeping for a bit more the next day they gave me 3 of each thing- super generous!
  • Food court service was always pretty quick and I could always find a seat.
  • They have one of the better stocked alcohol selections in the gift shop, much better than AKL.
  • Disney Springs boat- lovely ride, and quick.
  • Transportation in general: never had much of a wait going to or coming from the parks, never a long ride, and never any sharing with Riverside. Only had standing-room-only buses one morning...think it was MK.
  • I got to wake up every morning and have my breakfast by the frog fountain!
Cons:
  • Do you guys just have good beignet luck? Mine's terrible. I just...there's no flavor. If you don't get a mouthful of powdered sugar, it just tastes like nothing. I've given them 2 chances (1st time they were uncooked in middle), and I need to learn my lesson and stop getting them. Oh well!
  • Food in general I didn't think was stellar. Got the chicken biscuit thing which was OK at best, and the catfish po'boy which had way too much bread. I realize it's QS, but I was pretty 'meh' about everything.
  • Since they were cleaning a certain room for me it took awhile...which is all relative, because it was ready well before the 3pm check-in, but I had been at the resort since 8:30 so it felt like forever.
  • My coveted room had a connecting door and connected to a family who liked to sing songs late at night while I was trying to sleep. Never had sound issues before, but man.
  • Construction is loud in the middle of the day. Lots of power washers or something? Constant "whrrrrrrrr" while trying to enjoy a riverside stroll.

Anyway, I love FQ and it's my home, cons and all. Happy to answer any questions while my brain is still fresh.

And there you have the reason I refused a room with a connecting door on our last trip. It is my single request no matter what hotel we are in.

April must be power-washing season. We were near the food court (Rm 5101, first floor) in 2013 and for three days straight, they power-washed outside our room when dh (disabled) was trying to rest.

I don't like beignets, but dh does.

How late does the boat to DS run? I was considering a river view room but am concerned about the boat horn at bed time. Thanks!

How late does the boat to DS run? I was considering a river view room but am concerned about the boat horn at bed time. Thanks!

Honestly, the boat horn was not a problem for us. We've been on the river in 1, 5, and 6. We nap in the room mid-day, and the boat horn was a nice (even comforting) background noise that was not intrusive or bothersome at all.

The last boat from DS to FQ leaves at 11:30PM arriving roughly 11:45PM.

If you're a light sleeper and the horn will bother you, then I suggest not getting a River View.

I originally booked CBR as POFQ was sold out when we booked our package. I wasn't too bothered about staying at CBR, even though they're doing some refurb as the main ones, like the foodcourt and the store, was supposed to be finished before our trip. But since they announced that they wouldn't finish until after our trip, I was never happy with the idea of staying there, especially since we want to do a few relaxing days by the pool as well. But luckily when I checked the website today, it showed available rooms, so I phoned and swapped resorts :yay:

Does anyone here know how long it takes to show in MDE though? It's not showing yet, and it's making me a little nervous as I'm worried it was only available because someone else has cancelled and I might loose out if something went wrong. If that's the case, it's still appearing as available on the website, and it's only showing river view as available options (which is the one I changed to). I don't know if Disney ever keeps rooms unavailable on purpose to release them later, but if they do, I'd imagine that they would release more categories though. I don't know if there might be a delay as it's booked through the UK Disney Travel Company.

Hello,

We are booked for a Garden View room in mid-July. We definitely would like a refurbished room (top priority) and being close to pool and foodcourt would be nice. Which building should we request? We've never been to POFQ and are very excited!

We are booked for a Garden View room in mid-July. We definitely would like a refurbished room (top priority) and being close to pool and foodcourt would be nice. Which building should we request? We've never been to POFQ and are very excited!
Building 5 or 2 are right near the pool and close to the foodcourt. Personally we love the Garden View rooms in building 1. As you know, the resort is so small all buildings are quite close to everything so since your top priority is a refurbished room that is what you should request.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter