• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry,but you lose all credibility with me when you call Pop Century "a pig with lipstick".

And how many "Motels" have you stayed at that had:

Pools shaped like A Flower and a Bowling Pin
A 4 story tall Jukebox
Lobby "Shadow Boxes" with amazing memorabilia from the 1950s,1960s,1970s,1980s,1990s
Huge Arcade
Huge Food Court with multiple Stations
Room Delivery Menu
Gorgeous lake
3 Laundries
Merchandise Shop
Caricature Artist
Pool Bar
Hair Braiding Station
Nightly Movies by the Pool
Lush landscaping
Themed Music for each resort section
etc.,etc.?

To call Pop Century a "Motel" and a "pig with lipstick" is very misleading.JMO
All the things you mentioned is the lipstick. It is okay, if I ever go back, i will stay off disney property for half the price at an actual hotel. When you factor in that the rooms are in a disconnected building from the lobby, and are super tiny, no room service, and really is just a remodeled holiday inn from the 1970s, it's really just an old motel. I think pop century is great for high school seniors that have no money and low standards. My analogy would be it is a v6 mustang. Sure it had a backseat, and yes it's a mustang, but it has no power. If you are use to speed, it just doesn't do it for you. But despite all my complaints with the actual building and room, the bed was comfortable. It really was the lack of service that ruined pop century for me. If you know what you want and are fine with self service, it is fine. My pop century experience was ruined in the first 15 minutes, when I was ignored when I was in a rush. It was furthered ruined when i could not drop off my luggage after checking in. When i look back to other vacations, when i arrived at the hotel i was greeted at my car, my bags were taken to my room, ect. I didn't use any of the pools, I didn't see any of the lakes. All I wanted was a good welcome and a nice bed. I dont think I ever was greeted with a welcome back. And the one time I went to use a bus to get home, I missed it. The other times, I had to wait 30 minutes. I rather just get my own car and drive. I travel a lot for work, and am use to a certain level of class the pop century did not provide. I never got a hello when I walked in the front door. When I asked for more towels, they didn't bring it. Guest services is non existent at this hotel. My guess is that you dont need that, not value it. That's cool. But there is a 5 star hotel right outside of disney that gives mich more service. There are hotels half the price outside of disney that do have service.

All the things you mentioned is the lipstick. It is okay, if I ever go back, i will stay off disney property for half the price at an actual hotel. When you factor in that the rooms are in a disconnected building from the lobby, and are super tiny, no room service, and really is just a remodeled holiday inn from the 1970s, it's really just an old motel. I think pop century is great for high school seniors that have no money and low standards. My analogy would be it is a v6 mustang. Sure it had a backseat, and yes it's a mustang, but it has no power. If you are use to speed, it just doesn't do it for you. But despite all my complaints with the actual building and room, the bed was comfortable. It really was the lack of service that ruined pop century for me. If you know what you want and are fine with self service, it is fine. My pop century experience was ruined in the first 15 minutes, when I was ignored when I was in a rush. It was furthered ruined when i could not drop off my luggage after checking in. When i look back to other vacations, when i arrived at the hotel i was greeted at my car, my bags were taken to my room, ect. I didn't use any of the pools, I didn't see any of the lakes. All I wanted was a good welcome and a nice bed. I dont think I ever was greeted with a welcome back. And the one time I went to use a bus to get home, I missed it. The other times, I had to wait 30 minutes. I rather just get my own car and drive. I travel a lot for work, and am use to a certain level of class the pop century did not provide. I never got a hello when I walked in the front door. When I asked for more towels, they didn't bring it. Guest services is non existent at this hotel. My guess is that you dont need that, not value it. That's cool. But there is a 5 star hotel right outside of disney that gives mich more service. There are hotels half the price outside of disney that do have service.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. My experience at pop has not been the same. Your words are insulting to people who actually enjoy the resort. I am not a high school senior with no money nor do I have low standards. I've stayed at upscale resorts and still love POP and choose to stay there whenever I travel.

It's fine not to enjoy the hotel but you don't have to be so judgemental about the people who do.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. My experience at pop has not been the same. Your words are insulting to people who actually enjoy the resort. I am not a high school senior with no money nor do I have low standards. I've stayed at upscale resorts and still love POP and choose to stay there whenever I travel.

It's fine not to enjoy the hotel but you don't have to be so judgemental about the people who do.
Not meant to be insulting. Just my opinion of what I saw, and who I believe is the correct demographics from what I saw. Poop century is very popular and books up quickly, so clearly the demographics reaches more. Many people goto these forums for research, and I am just posting my experience. I did email the GM with improvement ideas. I'm done with this thread, and appreciate the forums for the advice given. There are a lot of helpful people here and it's a great community.

It did come off a bit condescending and preachy. I guess Pop didn't pamper him and cater to his every whim.

In reality, there are different hotels and price levels for everybody, and people choose to allocate a certain amount of money towards lodging - and affordability is not the only factor. Every now and then you'll see a new thread started by someone who only stays at deluxe resorts or are DVC members and they will pose the question of will they "survive" staying at Pop, as if it's a slum or a jail. It's a value resort for a reason, and if you expect and require deluxe accommodations and break out into hives if you don't get it, then don't consider staying at a value resort.

Not meant to be insulting. Just my opinion of what I saw, and who I believe is the correct demographics from what I saw. Poop century is very popular and books up quickly, so clearly the demographics reaches more. Many people goto these forums for research, and I am just posting my experience. I did email the GM with improvement ideas. I'm done with this thread, and appreciate the forums for the advice given. There are a lot of helpful people here and it's a great community.

Oh, I think all of us who enjoy Pop understand why you don't like Pop... I'm sure the management would also. I hope you enjoy any future stays offsite, I'm sure they'll be happy to have your business.

Back to regularly scheduled programming:

I called to make a room request because there were no options to select for the online check in. I have a standard view room booked for our mid-October trip. We requested a top floor renovated room. I really don’t care to which section we are assigned. Is that called in request enough? It seems pointless to also do a TP request or a request thru the app.

Also, we’ve not stayed at Pop since the pools were gated. Has that affected the pathways to buildings or are the gates generally close to the pools? I assume the pool chairs and tables are within the gates. Is that right? Any photos? I’m sorry if I missed them in earlier posts. Still plowing my way through this very helpful thread.

Back to regularly scheduled programming:

I called to make a room request because there were no options to select for the online check in. I have a standard view room booked for our mid-October trip. We requested a top floor renovated room. I really don’t care to which section we are assigned. Is that called in request enough? It seems pointless to also do a TP request or a request thru the app.

Also, we’ve not stayed at Pop since the pools were gated. Has that affected the pathways to buildings or are the gates generally close to the pools? I assume the pool chairs and tables are within the gates. Is that right? Any photos? I’m sorry if I missed them in earlier posts. Still plowing my way through this very helpful thread.
All rooms will be renovated before your Oct trip so you’re good just to request a top floor room. If that’s your only request then you’re correct that there is no need to submit a TP request if you already called in and requested top floor.

Pool chairs are within the pool fences. Tables and chairs are outside the pool fences. There are some pics for reference back on pages 555 and 556.

Hope this helps.

Is that called in request enough? It seems pointless to also do a TP request or a request thru the app.

Yes, you've got it covered. The app requests are kind of pointless as half the time they don't even show up, at least calling you know for a fact you talked to a human that is to record it for you.

I used to cut through the pool section to get to our rooms, and now that the gates are up it does prevent some of that, unless you want to scan through the gate. All of the "side paths" are still open, so that actual sidewalks are still clear.

Hope you have a great trip!

All the things you mentioned is the lipstick.
Again,you can't be taken seriously when you term the below list "lipstick".:)

A 4 story tall Jukebox
Lobby "Shadow Boxes" with amazing memorabilia from the 1950s,1960s,1970s,1980s,1990s
Huge Arcade
Room Delivery Menu
Gorgeous lake
3 Laundries
Merchandise Shop
Caricature Artist
Pool Bar
Hair Braiding Station
Lush landscaping
etc.,etc.?

Beautiful!! There is hardly any rain and temperatures are in the mid 70’s. At least this is the case every time I have been there.

I went November 2015 and the ENTIRE 8 days it was 90+ degrees and very humid. All CMs said it was an unusually hot week so although November is typically beautiful...be prepared for anything. We still enjoyed our trip but had to revise our itinerary to include midday breaks in the AC.

Again,you can't be taken seriously when you term the below list "lipstick".:)

A 4 story tall Jukebox
Huge Arcade
Room Delivery Menu
Gorgeous lake
3 Laundries
Merchandise Shop
Caricature Artist
Pool Bar
Hair Braiding Station
Lush landscaping
etc.,etc.?

I think this is a classic case of someone who couldn't take five minutes to research the various resorts available at Disney World and just took the cheapest (or almost cheapest) option without looking into what they were getting for that "cheap" price and will now spend hours expressing their disappointment on various forums and travel sites as well as contacting the resort to let them know that their "motel 6" should be converted to a Ritz Carlton. And it's funny how he says he's posting his experience here because other people read these forums to get information and advice on resorts...yet he couldn't bother to do that before booking. A quick Google search will give a person plenty of information (and pictures!!!) of any resort. There's no reason someone should show up at a Value resort and be shocked that the buildings all have exterior entrances to each room and none of the rooms are directly connected to the main lobby. We often book hotels at the last minute (not at Disney...those we book months in advance) by literally parking our car in an area with a bunch of hotels and then checking Expedia, Orbitz, etc. to see which hotel has the best price and looks nice both in person and in online pictures. It takes us less than 5 minutes to do this. We *usually* know exactly what we're getting when we book that hotel -- though I'll admit we recently stayed at a Courtyard by Marriott and were shocked to find out (after we had already paid for the room and lugged all of our stuff in from the car) that they didn't have a refrigerator in the room and didn't offer a free continental breakfast. Neither one of those was a big deal -- we had a cooler so just added more ice and we went out for breakfast the next morning. The oversight was our fault -- we hadn't looked at the list of amenities and just assumed that since all of the other hotels in the area offered refrigerators and free breakfast, that this one did, too. I would never think of going to travel forums/message boards and complaining about those things not being included in the room nor would I contact the manager and tell him/her they should be included. They were clearly not on the amenities list and it was our mistake for not being more thorough in our research.

Last edited:
I think this is a classic case of someone who couldn't take five minutes to research the various resorts available at Disney World and just took the cheapest (or almost cheapest) option without looking into what they were getting for that "cheap" price and will now spend hours expressing their disappointment on various forums and travel sites as well as contacting the resort to let them know that their "motel 6" should be converted to a Ritz Carlton. And it's funny how he says he's posting his experience here because other people read these forums to get information and advice on resorts...yet he couldn't bother to do that before booking. A quick Google search will give a person plenty of information (and pictures!!!) of any resort. There's no reason someone should show up at a Value resort and be shocked that the buildings all have exterior entrances to each room and none of the rooms are directly connected to the main lobby. We often book hotels (not at Disney...those we book months in advance) at the last minute by literally parking our car in an area with a bunch of hotels and then checking Expedia, Orbitz, etc. to see which hotel has the best price and looks nice both in person and in online pictures. It takes us less than 5 minutes to do this. We *usually* know exactly what we're getting when we book that hotel -- though I'll admit we recently stayed at a Courtyard by Marriott and were shocked to find out (after we had already paid for the room and lugged all of our stuff in from the car) that they didn't have a refrigerator in the room and didn't offer a free continental breakfast. Neither one of those was a big deal -- we had a cooler so just added more ice and we went out for breakfast the next morning. The oversight was our fault -- we hadn't looked at the list of amenities and just assumed that since all of the other hotels in the area offered refrigerators and free breakfast, that this one did, too. I would never think of going to travel forums/message boards and complaining about those things not being included in the room nor would I contact the manager and tell him/her they should be included. They were clearly not on the amenities list and it was our mistake for not being more thorough in our research.

I couldn't agree more. I've read all of his posts, and he certainly didn't research anything. I hope he's happier offsite at the Hilton!

Question I will be staying at AOA with my kids and they didn't get to try the bowling pin pool last year because it rained. They mentioned last night they were a bit upset about it. Was wondering if i'm allowed to pop over the bridge to POP so they can try it out?

Question I will be staying at AOA with my kids and they didn't get to try the bowling pin pool last year because it rained. They mentioned last night they were a bit upset about it. Was wondering if i'm allowed to pop over the bridge to POP so they can try it out?

According to Disney rules the answer is sadly no. You have to be a guest of the resort to use the pools of that resort.

According to Disney rules the answer is sadly no. You have to be a guest of the resort to use the pools of that resort.

Thanks I had a feeling that was the case. I think they will be fine where we are at A0A but figured since I had built in a resort day maybe we can Pool hop. We will be heading AKL as well I think they will love the pool there. This is their last Disney stay for a few years. :sad1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter