• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

I see from the monthly resort activities pictures that Make / Paint a Tiki Mask is offered. Anyone have any information on this activity? Cost, size of mask, etc. Pictures earn you bonus points!

Thanks!
I did this a couple of weeks ago! It's pretty cool and it was a really unique thing to paint! The masks are carved wood and a good size, but lightweight and easy to pack. Give yourself the whole hour if you want to have time to paint details. It's at a table by the marina. The only downsides were that the table isn't covered and it was HOT, and they don't have chairs at the table so you have to kind of awkwardly hunch over to paint. But the end product is an awesome souvenir! Nice thing about it being in the sun is that it dried really quickly. Each mask is $30.PXL_20220416_211058346.jpg

I did this a couple of weeks ago! It's pretty cool and it was a really unique thing to paint! The masks are carved wood and a good size, but lightweight and easy to pack. Give yourself the whole hour if you want to have time to paint details. It's at a table by the marina. The only downsides were that the table isn't covered and it was HOT, and they don't have chairs at the table so you have to kind of awkwardly hunch over to paint. But the end product is an awesome souvenir! Nice thing about it being in the sun is that it dried really quickly. Each mask is $30.View attachment 666210

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!!! Hopefully they‘re still doing it in October.

Hi! This is my first DisBoards post -- I've found such helpful information here! I have questions about the Poly, hope I'm asking in the right place. We're staying at the Riviera in June/July and I made a dinner reservation at Kona Cafe for my fam (2 adults, 2 young kids) on our Magic Kingdom park day. I thought we might need a break mid-day and wasn't sure if there would be late-afternoon stuff for us to do--cool down and chill out--at the Poly if we're not staying there. I think my kids will really love the hotel (it's where I wanted to stay!) and like walking around, I just don't know how much will be open to us, or if will be a legit option for us to have some break time after a park day.

If we do go back to our hotel for the mid-day break and want to be back at the Poly by 5:30 for dinner, I'm not sure the best way to get there (bus back to Magic Kingdom then monorail? how much time should we allow?).

Thank you!

Hi! This is my first DisBoards post -- I've found such helpful information here! I have questions about the Poly, hope I'm asking in the right place. We're staying at the Riviera in June/July and I made a dinner reservation at Kona Cafe for my fam (2 adults, 2 young kids) on our Magic Kingdom park day. I thought we might need a break mid-day and wasn't sure if there would be late-afternoon stuff for us to do--cool down and chill out--at the Poly if we're not staying there. I think my kids will really love the hotel (it's where I wanted to stay!) and like walking around, I just don't know how much will be open to us, or if will be a legit option for us to have some break time after a park day.

If we do go back to our hotel for the mid-day break and want to be back at the Poly by 5:30 for dinner, I'm not sure the best way to get there (bus back to Magic Kingdom then monorail? how much time should we allow?).

Thank you!

:welcome: to the DIS!

IMO there's really not much "to do" around Poly for non-guests. Adults can find fun things to do with adult beverages and such, but kids may get a little bored. You can walk around, play on the sandy beach (can be really hot out there), and just take in the grounds, get a Dole Whip, etc... but there's not going to be much else to physically do so your total elapsed time may not be all that long. They sometimes have some basic lawn games out on the fake grassy lawn just outside the "back" of the Grand Ceremonial House (sorry, I can't read the May recreation calendar close enough to see current hours). The main Lava Pool is such a prominent feature in the middle of the resort and with all the kids running around/screams of fun you may run the risk of your kids getting in "I want to go in there" mode!

One way to take a longer afternoon break is to monorail hop around CR, Poly, and GF. You'll be doing more looking/shopping/walking around than anything, but it can give you a chance to check out everything and draw some time out if needed during your day. Basin at GF can be fun to let kids build candles/bath bombs and such.

Best way from RIV to Poly would be rideshare if an option for you, but if not then bus to MK then Resort Monorail or boat to Poly. Hard to predict the total time as you've got a few variables in that journey (and throw in possible weather considerations) but I'd go with DIsney's typical 90 minute recommendation and if you end up at Poly way early just enjoy the grounds/resort for a bit.

Hope that helps/makes sense. Enjoy your WDW visit!

:welcome: to the DIS!

IMO there's really not much "to do" around Poly for non-guests. Adults can find fun things to do with adult beverages and such, but kids may get a little bored. You can walk around, play on the sandy beach (can be really hot out there), and just take in the grounds, get a Dole Whip, etc... but there's not going to be much else to physically do so your total elapsed time may not be all that long. They sometimes have some basic lawn games out on the fake grassy lawn just outside the "back" of the Grand Ceremonial House (sorry, I can't read the May recreation calendar close enough to see current hours). The main Lava Pool is such a prominent feature in the middle of the resort and with all the kids running around/screams of fun you may run the risk of your kids getting in "I want to go in there" mode!

One way to take a longer afternoon break is to monorail hop around CR, Poly, and GF. You'll be doing more looking/shopping/walking around than anything, but it can give you a chance to check out everything and draw some time out if needed during your day. Basin at GF can be fun to let kids build candles/bath bombs and such.

Best way from RIV to Poly would be rideshare if an option for you, but if not then bus to MK then Resort Monorail or boat to Poly. Hard to predict the total time as you've got a few variables in that journey (and throw in possible weather considerations) but I'd go with DIsney's typical 90 minute recommendation and if you end up at Poly way early just enjoy the grounds/resort for a bit.

Hope that helps/makes sense. Enjoy your WDW visit!
Thank you! It all makes sense and is exactly the info I was hoping for.

Thank you!
I also took the bus to HS once from GF (same as doing from any resort) then walked to Skyliner to get back to Riviera . I liked having the Skyliner because it feels like a ride without a wait time. You can do in reverse get to poly for your dinner.

Anyone there recently or know where I can find info on what wine the gift shop has available? Not sure whether I want to be tethered to the resort waiting for a delivery, but if the price warrants it I will
I'm not there now to take photos for you- but I usually buy wine from the gift shops at the Poly and other resorts. I think the prices are pretty reasonable- most are between $10 and $20 a bottle. They always have the Once Upon a Vine wines available which are around $15 I believe.

I just got back from my stay here, and I loved it! We had to switch rooms the second day in order to get a patio room, my daredevil daughter was trying to scale the slats on the second floor....(this was an ultimate splurge with a theme park view so my husband also wanted a patio or balcony)

I think if I was to stay here again, I'd book a standard or a pool view to get something closer to the heart of the resort...it was a loooooooong walk to Tuvalu with Lapu Lapus in hand.

I also took the bus to HS once from GF (same as doing from any resort) then walked to Skyliner to get back to Riviera . I liked having the Skyliner because it feels like a ride without a wait time. You can do in reverse get to poly for your dinner.
Thank you!

Good evening guys, thanks for this amazing thread. This is going to seem like a crazy question but how deep is the sand on the poly beach. I’m quite seriously ill and now stuck in a power wheel chair, we will have my manual wheelchair too… is there any chance I will be able to be wheeled/dragged on to the beach to share the beach fireworks experience etc with my wife and kids? I want this trip to be as perfect as possible since my cancer and losing mobility my family have been through so much and deserve a happy memorable vacation. So hoping I can partake in most of these things… We will be coming for one whole month! Excited isn’t the word! staying 18 nights boardwalk and 12 nights at poly as DVC. First time at poly. Any tips to make the most of our stay would be welcome too. We have an accessible roll in room booked. Although 17 years of Disney world this is all going to be very new and challenging, but fun I’m sure!

Good evening guys, thanks for this amazing thread. This is going to seem like a crazy question but how deep is the sand on the poly beach. I’m quite seriously ill and now stuck in a power wheel chair, we will have my manual wheelchair too… is there any chance I will be able to be wheeled/dragged on to the beach to share the beach fireworks experience etc with my wife and kids? I want this trip to be as perfect as possible since my cancer and losing mobility my family have been through so much and deserve a happy memorable vacation. So hoping I can partake in most of these things… We will be coming for one whole month! Excited isn’t the word! staying 18 nights boardwalk and 12 nights at poly as DVC. First time at poly. Any tips to make the most of our stay would be welcome too. We have an accessible roll in room booked. Although 17 years of Disney world this is all going to be very new and challenging, but fun I’m sure!
From what I remember and this was about 4 years ago the sand was pretty deep. There is concrete right before the sand starts that you could use to watch. Click on the picture and it will not be so blurry

Attachments

• 81F49562-FF4E-405E-A079-A7A1E42EF7E9.jpeg
    81F49562-FF4E-405E-A079-A7A1E42EF7E9.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Hi Razster,

If I remember from a few years ago, Disney now has made cutouts on the concrete curbs along many of the beach areas to make access better. There are also several rental companies servicing WDW that rent something called a "beach wheelchair". It has oversized tires to make it much easier to move on the sand. There are several companies that will deliver/pickup from WDW locations such as Cloudofgoods (no affiliation)

And WDW has some excellent links with more info on things such as reduced wait time options; if you google "WDW Guests with Disabilities" there's a whole page of info and links.

I'd also strongly encourage you to write to them at disability.services@disneyparks.com to explain your situation and see what other supports would be available to provide you and your family with a memorable vacation. I'm sure there will be much they can do to assist.

Sending you our very best wishes!!
p.s. sorry, it doesn't seem to let me post direct web links here (probably my lack of technical skills . . .)

The Poly beach sand is very fine/soft - no personal experience but I wouldn't attempt it with a mobility device. But as others have mentioned the concrete path between the pool and beach provides ample space to 'park' and watch the fireworks while being proximate to family in the sand. I've highlighted roughly the best viewing below - too far left and you lose the castle view behind an island, too far right and you get behind a bungalow. I often see many ECVs and similar devices parked around the right "jut out" (that white thing is the firepit). The path itself varies a bit in width but those spots where it curves out a bit would also be good to park and not overly block the path.

This overall area is rather popular for fireworks, so I'd strive for an early arrival if you can - like at least 30 minutes before the show, more like 45 if you can. Since you're going for limited real estate the earlier the better IMO in case you need to move around/adjust for the best view.

Don't forget the Electrical Water Pageant too as this area is also generally the best for viewing from Poly (and also why arriving early is needed). EWP time changes at times during the year so always check the app, but it's currently at 8:30pm at Poly.

Hope that helps, and enjoy your Poly stay!

1651668758174.png

My husband thinks I’ve lost it but even though we just had our first trip to Disney last month, I want to go back next April! Anyone know when April packages will open up? Would love to stay at Poly again but the construction gives me pause—we stayed in Aotearoa last month and it sounds like construction will be right next to it? Do you think walkway to Grand Floridian will be closed once it starts? Thanks!!

My husband thinks I’ve lost it but even though we just had our first trip to Disney last month, I want to go back next April! Anyone know when April packages will open up? Would love to stay at Poly again but the construction gives me pause—we stayed in Aotearoa last month and it sounds like construction will be right next to it? Do you think walkway to Grand Floridian will be closed once it starts? Thanks!!
Sorry I always book my room and tickets separately( l like the 5 day cancel window) so I can't answer that.

Now for the path my guess it will be closed. It was closed even during the refurb last year many times. Dd and I use that path every trip and we had several post covid closures. We were disappointed the times it was closed.

So when it is closed going from Poly to Gf take the mono for one stop away access. For GF to Poly the boat is faster, it runs from GF to poly then to MK in a loop.

PS no you didn't lose it, welcome to the club :rotfl:

Packages historically get released June-ish, sometimes June/sometimes July. Although this year's packages dropped in March 2021.

I'd love to go back next year, but we blew 3 years of vacation budget on that week. (it was worth every penny)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter