Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

I don’t get why people are unplugging them when there’s a mute button on the device itself. How is it any different than your phone that has a mic and camera facing you the entire time you’re using it?
I’m going to guess this is mostly an age demographic thing, but whatever, let them unplug if it gives them peace.

The end of Dec and beginning of Jan is holiday season. I did see more availability 1/4 and forwards.

People will change their trips once a sale starts. Also watch just before the 30 day mark prior. People with packages will cancel.

Good luck!
Thanks, and good point about the sale! Last year we did book the Poly for that same week when a discount came out. Will keep checking!

Passive listening to your conversations is different than allowing Disney to track your usage via magic band.

Alexa/Amazon is much more predatory on data acquisition than Disney and I don’t mind using my magic band knowing it’s being used for data because I CHOSE to allow it and Disney isn’t using MDE or my MB to listen to me as far as we know.

I don’t choose Alexa to listen to me in a conversation in a private hotel room and take that info for Amazon or Disney’s purposes. I unplug it because I think it’s a crap gimmick that just gives Amazon data and has no benefit to me. AI is hot right now too and it wouldn’t surprise me if the data from them is being using to teach AI.

I don’t mind using my magic band knowing it’s being used for data because I CHOSE to allow it and Disney isn’t using MDE or my MB to listen to me as far as we know.
The Disney MDE App does not use your iPhone or Android app to listen to you and your iPhone will tattle if your app is using any Apple services: location, Camera, Microphone, etc...

I don’t choose Alexa to listen to me in a conversation in a private hotel room and take that info for Amazon or Disney’s purposes.
You have the option to Unplug or Mute the device by pressing the mic button on the top to toggle the Mic and Audio off / on. We always disconnect the in-room phone as we have had a couple of times when the phone rang in the middle of the night.

Dave

It is crazy. 99.9% of the people at WDW have given MDE permission to collect information (look at the App Store to see the trove of info you gave permission to access) but they are concerned that Alexa might be listening?
I don’t get why people are unplugging them when there’s a mute button on the device itself. How is it any different than your phone that has a mic and camera facing you the entire time you’re using it?

Not "might be", they are. The FTC literally sued Amazon over this. Y'all must have missed this.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/01/1179381126/amazon-alexa-ring-settlement

If y'all don't see the difference between MDE's app permissions and what Amazon was doing with Alexa and Ring until the government had to intervene, I don't know what to say. And if these shady undisclosed practices don't bother you then that's fine but don't act like people who have concerns are just ignorant luddites. There are very valid reasons that even many people who work in IT, myself included, keep their homes as "dumb" as possible.

Not "might be", they are. The FTC literally sued Amazon over this. Y'all must have missed this.

If y'all don't see the difference between MDE's app permissions and what Amazon was doing with Alexa and Ring until the government had to intervene, I don't know what to say. And if these shady undisclosed practices don't bother you then that's fine but don't act like people who have concerns are just ignorant luddites. There are very valid reasons that even many people who work in IT, myself included, keep their homes as "dumb" as possible.
I’m in IT as well, and love having mostly everything automated. I’m not sure if you missed the point of the lawsuit, but the lawsuit involves Amazon keeping the recordings of kids interacting with their Alexa devices in order to improve their algorithm.

They are not being sued for listening to conversations between people in their homes or hotel rooms. Many people think Alexa listens to every conversation and sends it to Amazon when that is simply not the case.

I also happen to be in IT. Amazon, as @austinalexander pointed out, was in trouble for violation the privacy rights for children under 13 by not deleting recordings in a timely manner. Now, the Ring issue is an entirely different matter. They allowed people to access private videos. The Disney Alexa, as far as I know, does not involve video recordings, so maybe I am the Luddite because I don’t see the connection between the two.
In any case, the point I was making is that some permissions are allowed freely

That was definitely the better view of the two times we stayed there. The first time was a second floor room I don’t remember the room number. Looks like it wasn’t far from the one you mentioned 😂.

View attachment 776661
I see your DVC at VGF....Are you able to get rooms at 7 months at poly or were they booked some other way?

I see your DVC at VGF....Are you able to get rooms at 7 months at poly or were they booked some other way?
I have rarely booked at 7 months because I know in advance when I will be going. However, I have seen availability at 7 months very often.

What buildings are water view? Or which side or floors are water view of mixed buildings? Also is it worth it over resort view? I have read some differing post on what is water view, and lagoon view as some say it’s same others it’s not, so wanted to just ask.

Does anyone know if Moana mercantile sells cases of water? Thank you :)

I think only 6 packs of water.

They also sell gallon jugs of spring water. You have to ask at the counter. Most times they are in cabinets behind the counter, but sometimes you have to wait about 5 minutes while they have someone bring them up.

These are priced really well and we have done this at several resorts.

We use these to fill up our own water bottles.

What buildings are water view? Or which side or floors are water view of mixed buildings? Also is it worth it over resort view? I have read some differing post on what is water view, and lagoon view as some say it’s same others it’s not, so wanted to just ask.
We are not 100 % sure because Disney doesn’t post what it is. However I use touring plans which is somewhat accurate, I have a water view for Nov. I am guessing it could be either side of Somoa or the marina side of Fiji.

I am not sure if any of the pool facing in Rarotonga is water?

As long as I’m not facing the construction I’ll be happy. It was only $15 price difference for my dates with AP discount so I felt worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter