Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone confirm if the torch lighting ceremony still takes place at 6pm Tuesday - Saturday, and if hula dance lessons still take place in the lobby Tuesday - Saturday at 3:45pm? I'm thinking that the regular hula lessons are discontinued, but I wasn't sure about the torch lighting ceremony. Thanks!
I can confirm PART of your question - The torch lighting ceremony is still at 6pm. We were chosen as the family of the day a couple weeks ago!

We’re like to go next August 30-September 5. There will be 7 of us: myself, husband, son, daughter-in-law, and 3 granddaughters (9, 7, 5). Has anybody been there then? I’m wondering about the crowds in the pools and whether we’ll be able to find tables to eat at or places to sit at the pools.

I can't comment as we've never been late August/early Sept, but wanted to say I hope you have a great trip. Hopefully others will be able to help with crowds, etc :flower3:

So we have our first stay at the Poly coming up next May. We rented DVC points, and the Poly has been my dream resort, so needless to say, we are excited!

The Poly is an amazing resort! Hope you have a great trip :goodvibes.

Can anyone confirm if the torch lighting ceremony still takes place at 6pm Tuesday - Saturday, and if hula dance lessons still take place in the lobby Tuesday - Saturday at 3:45pm? I'm thinking that the regular hula lessons are discontinued, but I wasn't sure about the torch lighting ceremony. Thanks!

At the following link you can find the October recreational calendar for each resort. According to the poly calendar hula lessons are on Wednesdays at 4pm.
http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2019/10/walt-disney-world-resort-recreation.html

Does anyone know for certain if the Poly rooms are being refurbed beginning in early 2020? 🤔

🌺
From the Annual Meeting they announced the following: The DVC side will be refreshed 2022
  • 2020 – Aulani (Refresh)
  • 2021 – Hilton Head (Full refurb)
  • 2021 – Grand Floridian (Refresh)
  • 2021 – Boulder Ridge (Full refurb)
  • 2022 – Polynesian (Refresh)
Obviously SSR would occur starting this year.

Last edited:
Does anyone know for certain if the Poly rooms are being refurbed beginning in early 2020? 🤔

🌺

Have to distinguish between the resort side and DVC side. The PP quoted info that refers to the DVC side.

Resort side rooms should be due for refurb sometime soon. Test rooms have been done and Disney is up to something. But exactly what/when is TBD.

Have to distinguish between the resort side and DVC side. The PP quoted info that refers to the DVC side.

Resort side rooms should be due for refurb sometime soon. Test rooms have been done and Disney is up to something. But exactly what/when is TBD.

Yes, they are certainly up to something....

I can tell you that we were there a few weeks ago, stayed on the 3rd floor of Rarotonga, and the 4 rooms next to ours were being actively refurbished while we were there. New carpet, sconces, and wall coverings in the halls. They were really careful about keeping the doors closed (which was pretty annoying when we were trying to nap after 6am EEMH and the doors were slamming over and over!) but our bellhop as we were leaving opened one real quick so we could peek for a second, and it looked really nice! Wood (or at least wood-looking) floors and updated everything.

I can tell you that we were there a few weeks ago, stayed on the 3rd floor of Rarotonga, and the 4 rooms next to ours were being actively refurbished while we were there. New carpet, sconces, and wall coverings in the halls. They were really careful about keeping the doors closed (which was pretty annoying when we were trying to nap after 6am EEMH and the doors were slamming over and over!) but our bellhop as we were leaving opened one real quick so we could peek for a second, and it looked really nice! Wood (or at least wood-looking) floors and updated everything.

This is great news, thanks for sharing! We were planning on requesting Rarotonga 3rd fl again for our May trip, and it sure sounds like they’ll be done with that building by then at least. I’m guessing it’s probably the same laminate style flooring as all the resorts are getting nowadays. I didn’t mind it at all at POFQ this summer.

Hmmm, is it unusual that all club level rooms are not available for the entire months of September and October 2020? There is plenty of availability for all other categories. I wonder if Hawaii building is getting a refurb.

Hmmm, is it unusual that all club level rooms are not available for the entire months of September and October 2020? There is plenty of availability for all other categories. I wonder if Hawaii building is getting a refurb.
Maybe during that time. There is availability in June.

Odd--in years past, the concierge n/k/a club level service was simply placed in another building. Of course, that was pre-DVC days so there may not be many options.

Polynesian‘s 50th anniversary – any idea if there will be a celebration/special events at the Poly for its 50th anniversary? Have there been special events on previous Poly anniversaries? If yes, I would love to hear about past anniversary celebrations. Thanks

Last edited:
When I was there in Hawaii recently, one of the CMs said they had been told that Hawaii would indeed be refurbed in 2020 but no mention of which months.
I didn't get a clear answer on what they do with CL guests, where they are placed.

When I was there in Hawaii recently, one of the CMs said they had been told that Hawaii would indeed be refurbed in 2020 but no mention of which months.
I didn't get a clear answer on what they do with CL guests, where they are placed.
IIRC last time they did this there was just no CL (except Tonga I presume) for the month or 2 they did the refurb. I remember because our first Poly CL stay was just before all of the huge renovations at the resort, and we loved it. Then we avoided it like the plague for a year, then dared to return and had a not so great GV CL room hat was renovated but facing the huge tarp that was around what would become the oasis pool - so I was following what was going on at the Poly. I could never say we had a bad stay at the Poly, but that was the stay that showed me that I do actually care more about room views than I had thought, and we now are much more likely to book lagoon/lake/ TPV/etc rooms wherever we stay. Although the standard (garden) view CL rooms at the Poly, GF, and CR are still pretty darned good. I think this is part of why I like the monorail resorts more than the Epcot ones, despite the great convenience of walking to 2 parks.

Polynesian‘s 50th anniversary – any idea if there will be a celebration/special events at the Poly for its 50th anniversary? Have there been special events on previous Poly anniversaries? If yes, I would love to hear about past anniversary celebrations. Thanks

Ohhhh....I never even thought of this! We are going in 2022-was supposed to be 2023 but my 50th is 10/6/21 and I only like going in the summer. The Poly will always be my favorite resort but I said I wanted to stay 2-3 nights bs half my trip there....unless in the next 3 years they make me a bigger pool! But I do need to stay there for my belated 50th to celebrate with them.

I think I stayed club level during a renovation and the room where the food was kept was just 2 rooms that connected. I did not get to enjoy the big space with the floor to ceiling windows. I do remember that we were able to do club level at this time as it was a bit cheaper. It's a bit out of my league now...

Ohhhh....I never even thought of this! We are going in 2022-was supposed to be 2023 but my 50th is 10/6/21 and I only like going in the summer. The Poly will always be my favorite resort but I said I wanted to stay 2-3 nights bs half my trip there....unless in the next 3 years they make me a bigger pool! But I do need to stay there for my belated 50th to celebrate with them.

That will be awesome to celebrate your 50th birthday during the Polynesian's 50th anniversary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter