Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

I am so excited to see how the lobby turns out. I absolutely love the colors of the new resort studios and the lobby in Big Pine Key. I think it would be beautiful if they followed that color scheme.
I really hope 1900 Park Fare returns similar to what it was. We have never been able to make it there and I would love to get a chance to try it before the kids get too big.

Seems like there is now news that the lobby refurb has been pushed to early 2024... according to WDWNT.

Another Update…

UPDATE: Construction at Disney’s Grand Floridian Reportedly for Guest Rooms Only, Lobby Remodel Delayed Until 2024

Reports now indicate that the walls and equipment are in place to begin the remodel of the guest rooms in that building. WDWNT’s sources also report that the lobby remodel is being delayed until 2024.

The concierge level rooms on floors 3, 4, & 5 will be remodeled to match the new look of the resort. See a full tour of a remodeled room here. The construction walls surround a staging area for equipment to be raised up to the different floors. A crane should be arriving soon. The crew has laid wood flooring over the existing floor to protect it from the crane.
They will also be working on the high pillars and dome ceiling. This is likely what is depicted on the blueprints spotted at the site.

Reportedly, the lobby remodel was scheduled to begin earlier this spring. They were unable to meet that schedule. Rather than start construction and interfere with the giant gingerbread house the resort builds annually, the remodel was delayed.

*The remodel of the rooms in building 5 is also delayed.

* I’m confused by this because I thought Sago was completed?!

**This report coincides with what @WishesQueen was told. I don’t know what is accurate anymore. I’ll keep reporting as I see new posts. So far, this is the only blog posting this. If anyone else who is there finds out anything additional, please let us know!

Last edited:
Wow, this is definitely confusing. The fact that they are saying Sago is also delayed makes me question the validity of the whole article though. I can't imagine that they really reopened Sago without finishing all of the rooms after all that time? What would have been the point? Also why not take care of the lobby while all of the equipment is already onsite? I definitely was hoping it was done in time for the holidays this year, but I also just want them to get it over with!

Wow, this is definitely confusing. The fact that they are saying Sago is also delayed makes me question the validity of the whole article though. I can't imagine that they really reopened Sago without finishing all of the rooms after all that time? What would have been the point? Also why not take care of the lobby while all of the equipment is already onsite? I definitely was hoping it was done in time for the holidays this year, but I also just want them to get it over with!
Agreed about the Sago part, but @WishesQueen was told the same about the lobby. I’ll just keep reporting what’s posted and maybe those who are there can find out additional details for us. Hopefully Disney makes a statement soon.

:badpc:

Another Update…

UPDATE: Construction at Disney’s Grand Floridian Reportedly for Guest Rooms Only, Lobby Remodel Delayed Until 2024

Reports now indicate that the walls and equipment are in place to begin the remodel of the guest rooms in that building. WDWNT’s sources also report that the lobby remodel is being delayed until 2024.

The concierge level rooms on floors 3, 4, & 5 will be remodeled to match the new look of the resort. See a full tour of a remodeled room here. The construction walls surround a staging area for equipment to be raised up to the different floors. A crane should be arriving soon. The crew has laid wood flooring over the existing floor to protect it from the crane.
They will also be working on the high pillars and dome ceiling. This is likely what is depicted on the blueprints spotted at the site.

Reportedly, the lobby remodel was scheduled to begin earlier this spring. They were unable to meet that schedule. Rather than start construction and interfere with the giant gingerbread house the resort builds annually, the remodel was delayed.

**This report coincides with what @WishesQueen was told. I don’t know what is accurate anymore. I’ll keep reporting as I see new posts. So far, this is the only blog posting this. If anyone else who is there finds out anything additional, please let us know!
This makes more sense. I could not figure out why they were covering what they were supposed to be remodeling 🤣 And this way the new floor doesn’t get damaged while remodeling the ceiling.

Nice to know the Holidays are still a go for 2023. It wasn’t even on my radar GF might not have had Xmas this year.

Last edited:

Another Update…

I'm 🤣:laughing: because they forgot that there are rooms on the 2nd floor right above Gaspy's....

Sago was open during our trip 5/26-29. However in the cl lounge they stated sago not fully opened and guests needed to be pushed elsewhere , even in rpc(closed 6/9 not 5/30 when cl rooms booking window ended)

Also we noticed rooms facing monorail were NOT finished. Beds not set up etc.That was 5/29.

So delays it is , just hope finished soon.👍😅😂

If it's true that the lobby refurb has been delayed (fantastic!) then that makes sense as to why they're protecting the carpet. It's encouraging because the holiday deadline is fast approaching if thats the aim. The quicker something is down for a refurbishment, the poorer the quality. Typically expect a dash of new paint, new carpet, and bung in some modern out of place chairs: then Disney goes "Done! See? Its reimagined!". No, I think most of us would want Disney to take their time and invest in this project and not get by on bare minimum effort and cost.

Sago was open during our trip 5/26-29. However in the cl lounge they stated sago not fully opened and guests needed to be pushed elsewhere , even in rpc(closed 6/9 not 5/30 when cl rooms booking window ended)

Also we noticed rooms facing monorail were NOT finished. Beds not set up etc.That was 5/29.

So delays it is , just hope finished soon.👍😅😂
Holding out on us, Trish?!?! 😂🤣

1686649426094.gif

Thanks for sharing! I was not aware of that additional information. I’ll adjust Page 1 accordingly.

Last edited:
Lots of people were staying in Sago around 6/8 but I can't say what the rooms looked like.

Cast members and myself were most confused about the wall being built in front of Gasperilla's, maybe thats for continuing work on Sago.

Would there be any information on what to expect in terms of construction for July? We have a planned trip for July 5th - 9th and wanted to know what were walking into.

Hey guys!! Someone just sent this to me. It’s a post they saw on a FB Group a couple of days ago. Not sure how accurate the info is, but it had a good overhead shot of the enclosed space in the lobby.

“Cast member we spoke to yesterday informed us that main lobby work begins Friday (although Park Fare has already been initiated). He said it is supposed to last about 3 months and a large portion will be the roof. He did state that they will be gutting the inside and will be pulling up and replacing the carpets, likely with something identical/similar to the turquoise with flowers in the other buildings and hallways. He was with Bell services and not construction crew so take with a grain of salt.”

View attachment 767128

Holding out on us, Trish?!?! 😂🤣

View attachment 767325

Thanks for sharing! I was not aware of that additional information. I’ll adjust Page 1 accordingly.
After 18 months of planning we arrive this Saturday staying in 2 bedroom villa for 7 days with 5 grandchildren. Thx for posting. We are checking in online and approaching the cafe from the outside. Hope this is the only surprise at the resort. Interesting aside from a general refurbishment notice no mention has been made of this.

I'm guessing those walls must be in preparation for the external construction - the painting and roof replacement. But how will they keep Gasparilla open during this?

This doesn’t make me feel great for my Sept/Oct trip. If they’re trying not to interfere with the holidays, I’m guessing the priority is to get the room renovations done by November, so they have time for Gingerbread House setup. So the walled off area will most likely be there through October.

Upper Floors of Disney’s Grand Floridian Main Building Closed for Refurbishment

While visiting Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort today to check in on the construction area we spotted in the lobby yesterday, we noticed that the upper floors are now behind construction “walls”. Crews were also testing the alarm system throughout the upper floors, lobby, shops, and more as part of the early work. Floors 3-5 are now closed, but the second floor will remain open at this time for monorail access and more. Here’s a look at the lobby building as of this afternoon!

1686684331757.png

1686684402692.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter