Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

They do not start construction early in the morning - I'm guessing because they know waking up tired kids at 6:30 am will not end well lol. I think I saw 9am start time - perhaps someone can double check that.

I’m considering booking a garden view room outer building for a last minute trip in a couple weeks. Will I be guaranteed an updated room? I’m having a hard time figuring out what is update. I see building updates complete except the main building, but does that just mean exterior or rooms too? This will be a splurge and not willing to pay these prices for a super outdated room

I’m considering booking a garden view room outer building for a last minute trip in a couple weeks. Will I be guaranteed an updated room? I’m having a hard time figuring out what is update. I see building updates complete except the main building, but does that just mean exterior or rooms too? This will be a splurge and not willing to pay these prices for a super outdated room
The last 2 outer buildings to be refurbished are both closed and under construction at the moment so you will definitely receive an updated room. During the refurbishments, Disney is working on the inside and outside of the buildings simultaenously. The only way you wouldn't receive an updated room would be if you got upgraded to the main building (and in that case, maybe the club level access would be a decent trade off for being assigned a non-refurbished room?)

Try not to worry. I know it is hard, though. There is so much at GF to soak up and enjoy. The things you will see "in progress" will just give you something to dream about and anticipate for next year.
@WishesQueen
Quoting myself because for some reason I keep thinking about you - and I don't even know you at all. :rotfl2:Anyway, if I were in your shoes and GF was my anniversary happy place, I tend to think I would regret not fulfilling my tradition more than changing resorts/dates. But that is me - you do you. Trips are special and it's hard not to worry about them being as close to perfect as possible. The years seem to fly by. So, regardless of how 2023 turns out, 2024 will be here before you know it.

Full disclosure, I am in a different situation. My Disney buddy is my daughter. We are looking forward to another split stay with GF in the future. But this year, we decided to spend the whole week at YC to enjoy more time at Flower and Garden. We never seem to have enough time to sample everything we would like at the booths.

Our friends stayed at GF RPC and said that the construction noise and the barriers took away the enjoyment of the GF. The work on the roof while relaxing by the pools took your attention away. Plus the Poly construction did not help. Glad we saved the $$ for another time when the GF is back to normal and beutiful.

Absolutely. Very happy I moved it. But my god the stones Disney had to charge full price for that hotel with all the construction going on…

@WishesQueen
Quoting myself because for some reason I keep thinking about you - and I don't even know you at all. :rotfl2:Anyway, if I were in your shoes and GF was my anniversary happy place, I tend to think I would regret not fulfilling my tradition more than changing resorts/dates. But that is me - you do you. Trips are special and it's hard not to worry about them being as close to perfect as possible. The years seem to fly by. So, regardless of how 2023 turns out, 2024 will be here before you know it.

Full disclosure, I am in a different situation. My Disney buddy is my daughter. We are looking forward to another split stay with GF in the future. But this year, we decided to spend the whole week at YC to enjoy more time at Flower and Garden. We never seem to have enough time to sample everything we would like at the booths.
Aww thanks so much, your sweet.

Honestly I will NEVER cancel or reschedule. It really takes a lot to annoy me, we sat at the pool and watched them change the roof of Boca Chika everyday. It was actually very interesting, the drinks were still delicious and water was refreshing and we were happy.

We spend a lot time of at the hotel and will probably miss the walkway to MK the most, but we'll just walk two loops to the Poly...lol

Enjoy the YC, we love it there too. The boardwalk area and ease to get into EPCOT is awesome. I love going with the kids and they love joining us, but with work its a bit harder to schedule a trip. Hopefully I get to go back twice this year with the kids next time.

Thanks for the support and good thoughts!

The last 2 outer buildings to be refurbished are both closed and under construction at the moment so you will definitely receive an updated room. During the refurbishments, Disney is working on the inside and outside of the buildings simultaenously. The only way you wouldn't receive an updated room would be if you got upgraded to the main building (and in that case, maybe the club level access would be a decent trade off for being assigned a non-refurbished room?)
So are the room options Boca Chica or Conch Key? Any one of the two better than the other?

Thank you all! One last question (hopefully!). We would need a room with 2 queens and a daybed, but only have 3 people so I know it is possible they can give us something different. Looking at touring plans, most rooms say just 2 queens except the "deluxe" rooms say daybed, but I don't even see a deluxe option to book. Do most rooms have the 2 queens and daybed? Last year at Poly we ended up with a king and daybed, and they were unable to move us

Thank you all! One last question (hopefully!). We would need a room with 2 queens and a daybed, but only have 3 people so I know it is possible they can give us something different. Looking at touring plans, most rooms say just 2 queens except the "deluxe" rooms say daybed, but I don't even see a deluxe option to book. Do most rooms have the 2 queens and daybed? Last year at Poly we ended up with a king and daybed, and they were unable to move us
Most rooms are two Queen beds and all rooms have a couch....the couch is the day bed. Deluxe rooms used to be bookable but I believe now you can try to request them and if your lucky enough to get one the couch is in the rounded area of the room with two televisions...kind of a sitting room. Its really beautiful and we were lucky enough to get one a few times when they were bookable. But beware some deluxe rooms do not have a balcony, I believe its the top floor deluxe room.

I am sure someone with room definitive information will be around, I figured I would just add my experience.

Most rooms are two Queen beds and all rooms have a couch....the couch is the day bed. Deluxe rooms used to be bookable but I believe now you can try to request them and if your lucky enough to get one the couch is in the rounded area of the room with two televisions...kind of a sitting room. Its really beautiful and we were lucky enough to get one a few times when they were bookable. But beware some deluxe rooms do not have a balcony, I believe its the top floor deluxe room.

I am sure someone with room definitive information will be around, I figured I would just add my experience.
Yep you got it on the deluxe!

The deluxe are garden view so anyone checking in and want extra space you can request one. BC/Sago/Conch 5th floor no balcony. SL 4th floor no balcony. There is not a 1st floor deluxe room.

Marina at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa to Undergo Refurbishment Through April 28

Guests staying at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa in the coming weeks should keep in mind that the resort's marina structure and its surrounding concrete path will undergo refurbishment starting today (Monday, April 17, 2023) through April 28. The marina will remain open throughout the refurbishment for fireworks cruises only, with Cast Members operating from a mobile podium while this work is taking place.

Refurbishment work will occur weekdays from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Guests will be able to see and hear construction-related noise during that time.

This work will NOT include the boat launch area for transportation to Magic Kingdom Park, as the refurbishment will focus on the marina used for motorized boat rentals.

Horrors! I'm hearing that the Grand Floridian Cafe is getting a new menu and will be discontinuing the Lobster Thermidor Burger, the best burger in WDW in my opinion. What a bummer!
I hate when Disney dumbs down restaurant menus to remove whatever is most expensive (in terms of ingredients) or novel! Some of our former favorite restaurants have gone from "must-do" to "meh, why bother?" as a result.

We'd been looking forward to trying GF Cafe for the first time when we stay there in August, but I had my heart so set on that Lobster Thermidor burger that since it's gone, I've crossed GF Cafe off of our ADR list. With the exception of the banana curries, there's nothing left on that menu that I can't get at any number of local restaurants here at home.

Last edited:
posted this in the DVC group.but in here is more active

Quick bit of advice from you wonderful lot. I am rending DVC points from a very kind member on the boards. Our waitlist for GF has come I but I asked for a Studio and my partner has been looking at resort studio photos.

Is she going to be disappointed by the standard studios rather than the Resort one ?

Hi, can someone please tell me the differences between the newly renovated grand floridian studio villas in big pine key and the deluxe studio villas in the main dvc bldg? also, are the studios in the main dvc bldg also newly renovated? tia

Hi, can someone please tell me the differences between the newly renovated grand floridian studio villas in big pine key and the deluxe studio villas in the main dvc bldg? also, are the studios in the main dvc bldg also newly renovated? tia
The refurb in the main DVC building is done with the new murphy queen-size bed. They also have the pull-down bunk-size bed. These deluxe studios have both a shower-tub combo and a walk-in shower. The kitchenette has a sink.

The Big Pine Key "resort studios" have two dedicated queen beds and a pull-out sofa bed. These rooms have a "beverage cooler" rather than a mini-fridge, and there is no sink in the kitchenette. The bathroom vanity, on the other hand, has two sinks whereas the original deluxe studios only have one. There is no walk-in shower, only a shower-tub combo.

Getting ready for my 60 days next week and looking to book 2 days of cabanas. Does anyone know if they will apply the DVC discount if I call the WDW-PLAY line at 7 instead of waiting for DVC MS to open at 8? Last time we booked them, WDW-PLAY couldn't apply the discount and I ended up having to ask the cabana CM who applied the discount for us the day of.

The refurb in the main DVC building is done with the new murphy queen-size bed. They also have the pull-down bunk-size bed. These deluxe studios have both a shower-tub combo and a walk-in shower. The kitchenette has a sink.

The Big Pine Key "resort studios" have two dedicated queen beds and a pull-out sofa bed. These rooms have a "beverage cooler" rather than a mini-fridge, and there is no sink in the kitchenette. The bathroom vanity, on the other hand, has two sinks whereas the original deluxe studios only have one. There is no walk-in shower, only a shower-tub combo.
Just a minor detail to add: the "pull-out sofa bed" in the resort studios is a daybed, slightly narrower than twin size. Just in case anyone read "sofa" and pictured the double-sized folding sofas that are present in some of the older DVC studios on property...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter