Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

Apologies if already asked and answered. DW and I will be at GF (DVC building) in June to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and my 65th bday. Very first time staying. VERY excited.
BUT we just learning the lobby is scheduled for a refurbishment soon.
Anyone know when it will start? Yes, selfishly hoping AFTER our stay bit with July 1 being I think the GF’s 35th anniversary we’re thinking very soon.
Many thanks!

Will the friendship boats be running from GF to MK in August? I saw something about the dock being refurbished. This is one of the best things about the grand. Just want to make sure it will be running!

Best of both worlds! Splitting the Epcot resort area (specifically BC/YC) with MK resort area (GF) is my absolute favorite way to visit WDW. I am sure your boys will have a magical time! :cloud9:
We used to do this all the time! We used to go yearly and always did a split stay and stayed for 8-10 nights total (this is when WDW was half the price). We are going back in August and staying at the GF only and 1 night at POR. The prices have gone up so much, so we had to shorten the vacation. Enjoy!

have a trip arriving VGF 12/10/2023 and just received the standard "there will be construction" warning email. Nothing specific referenced.

have a trip arriving VGF 12/10/2023 and just received the standard "there will be construction" warning email. Nothing specific referenced.
I hope they’re just being extra cautious and that it’ll be done by then! We’ll be there right before you!

You will not be directly impacted. The only way you will notice any construction is if you are walking in that area… for example you’d have to pass those buildings under construction either to go to Gasparilla’s (quick service) or on the way to the boat. I provided a map below. The building circled in red is the DVC building and the building in yellow is the Sugarloaf building. Conch is directly next to Sugarloaf, and is also under construction, as well as Narcoos see’s restaurant that is across from Conch. Have fun!

View attachment 739949
But the boats are still operating with SugarLoaf, Conch Key and Narcoosee's under construction? The walk way is closed but is it not near the boats?

Hi all! Stayed at this fabulous resort in a resort studio in December. Loved it so much we bought a DVC contract there and have booked a stay in a deluxe studio in January! Can’t wait to join in on this page!
Congrats! That’s so exciting!

But the boats are still operating with SugarLoaf, Conch Key and Narcoosee's under construction? The walk way is closed but is it not near the boats?
To my knowledge, the path to the boat is still open and boats are still running as scheduled. If you go back a couple of pages, you’ll see some recent pictures showing the construction and how it’s affecting the current pathways. The walkway that is currently closed is the one to MK.

Apologies if already asked and answered. DW and I will be at GF (DVC building) in June to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and my 65th bday. Very first time staying. VERY excited.
Anyone know when it will start? Yes, selfishly hoping AFTER our stay bit with July 1 being I think the GF’s 35th anniversary we’re thinking very soon.
Many thanks!
...first of all, congrats on the anniversary AND the 35th anniversary of your 30th birthday! [ :rotfl: :lmao: ] I was curious about this also, especially since we will be arriving in just under 2 weeks...:rolleyes:

Many thanks!
Congratulations! I would love to know the same thing. DH and I go every year for our anniversary in early June for our anniversary (32 years this June)

We used to do this all the time! We used to go yearly and always did a split stay and stayed for 8-10 nights total (this is when WDW was half the price). We are going back in August and staying at the GF only and 1 night at POR. The prices have gone up so much, so we had to shorten the vacation. Enjoy!
I always end my splits with MK/GF since it's the best! I am sure a GF only trip will still be amazing! :cloud9:

We are not staying at GF until August and have an outer bldg, Garden view reserved. What possible building would we be staying in? How could I request an updated room?

We are not staying at GF until August and have an outer bldg, Garden view reserved. What possible building would we be staying in? How could I request an updated room?
At the current rate, I think the only outer building that hasn't been updated (Sago Cay) will be closed for refurbishment OR completed by August. That leaves Boca Chica, Conch Key, and Sugarloaf. While Big Pine Key has the same exact room design, it is now DVC and a completely separate booking category (resort studio).

To make a request you can call the reservation line OR chat with Disney through MDE. You won't find renovated room in the MDE check-in drop-down so best to leave that blank since it will contradict whatever the CM notes in your reservation.

Last edited:
At the current rate, I think the only outer building that hasn't been converted (Sago Cay) will be closed for conversion OR completed by August. That leaves Boca Chica, Conch Key, and Sugarloaf. While Big Pine Key has the same exact room design, it is now DVC and a completely separate booking category (resort studio).

To make a request you can call the reservation line OR chat with Disney through MDE. You won't find renovated room in the MDE check-in drop-down so best to leave that blank since it will contradict whatever the CM notes in your reservation.
When you say "converted", do you mean updated? We are not staying DVC, just regular room with the dining promo gift card. If all the outer building rooms have been updated, I won't call to request. I just wasn't sure how many of the buildings have been updated yet and wanted to know our chances of getting an updated room. Thank you for your help!

You should not need to request an updated outer building room for August. Boca Chica and Conch Key are completed already and Sugar Loaf and Sago Cay are both closed down, being worked on currently. They should be done by "late spring" (as this is when Disney is saying the walking path would reopen).

Big Pine Key used to be in the GF hotel booking category. It was updated/renovated and then converted/changed from GF hotel room category to DVC (resort studio I believe).

Correct. Resort Studios are housed in Big Pine Key.

To my knowledge, the path to the boat is still open and boats are still running as scheduled. If you go back a couple of pages, you’ll see some recent pictures showing the construction and how it’s affecting the current pathways. The walkway that is currently closed is the one to MK.

Boats were running this Saturday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter