Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

Polynesian Village to Grand Floridian Walkway Modifications Imminent as DVC Tower Construction Expands

When talking with the front desk, Cast Members told us that a new pathway is being constructed that will run along Floridian Way. This new walkway will ensure that guests can still walk to Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and beyond should they want to. Cast Members did not know when the new walkway would open, but we’d imagine it will be days, not weeks. The new walkway can be seen in the digital map screenshot below, running alongside Floridian Way (yellow).

Here’s a look at the area from onboard the monorail. The walkway will run on the other side of the far wall and go around the construction site.

We felt like we were walking right onto a construction site, but the walkway was still open for now.

The first-floor rooms of the Fiji and Aotearoa buildings will have terrible views for a while, and it’s likely that you’ll want to even avoid upper level floors as work picks up.

We didn’t walk the full path, but here’s a look at the approach to Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort as we turned around.

Hmm it's been a bajillion year since I was there maybe her name isn't Brenda, she was one of the lounge ladies.

Is Emjay(I think that's how she spelled her name) still there?
There is a Mejay concierge that sits on the 3rd floor and has been there since the bldg opened. She is still there. She used to partner with Dan and he is now at check in on the first floor. I talked to him last time I was there in August. He said health issues have required him to take a step back. Ms. Loretta who always welcomed us home in the lounge on the 4th floor was my favorite and retired during Covid. Fun fact about Mejay - her husband (Francisco) works for years at the Tambu Lounge at the Poly.

There is a Mejay concierge that sits on the 3rd floor and has been there since the bldg opened. She is still there. She used to partner with Dan and he is now at check in on the first floor. I talked to him last time I was there in August. He said health issues have required him to take a step back. Ms. Loretta who always welcomed us home in the lounge on the 4th floor was my favorite and retired during Covid. Fun fact about Mejay - her husband (Francisco) works for years at the Tambu Lounge at the Poly.
Mejay has been a wonderful RPC cast member for many years. She and Dan saved the day for us on more than one occasion. Vonnie and Janice were also very kind to us over the years. I came down with a nasty head cold during one stay. I was feeling awful and (this was before online everything) went to the concierge desk to cancel an ADR. Vonnie and Janice were on duty. They chatted and commiserated with me. I went up to the lounge to make some tea and a little something to take back to the room. I got back to find a clump of balloons and a get well message tied to the door handle. To this day, I don’t know how they managed it. I was only gone a short while. We miss the RPC, and these CMs in particular. The Lounge just won’t be the same without Loretta, either. I wonder, did Marie take retirement at the same time?

how does the pony ride happen? Im bringing my kiddos in December, 3- and 5- and they would LOVE this
The stables are located at the Settlement area, near the bus stop. The children must be under 80 pounds. A parent leads the pony while the child rides. The stable is a fun place to visit with lots of horses and displays to look at. :)

I would take the monorail to MK and then the boat to Fort Wilderness from the Grand Floridian. It will be a very short walk through the Settlement area to get to the stables. Walk toward the bus stop and you'll see the stables from there. You will pass a wonderful playground for children. You may want to plan your trip so that the children have time to play at the playground because once they see it, they will want to play there first. :)

The stables are located at the Settlement area, near the bus stop. The children must be under 80 pounds. A parent leads the pony while the child rides. The stable is a fun place to visit with lots of horses and displays to look at. :)

I would take the monorail to MK and then the boat to Fort Wilderness from the Grand Floridian. It will be a very short walk through the Settlement area to get to the stables. Walk toward the bus stop and you'll see the stables from there. You will pass a wonderful playground for children. You may want to plan your trip so that the children have time to play at the playground because once they see it, they will want to play there first. :)
thank you! Thisis a great idea!!!WE have a few dinner date nights and their aunt wants to take them o do something fun while my husband and I have a moment without the kids.... but now I want to join them and blow off my husband hahaha

THANK YOU! I was kinda close

Yes Mejay was and probably still is fabulous

I miss all of the GF CM's
Mejay has been a wonderful RPC cast member for many years. She and Dan saved the day for us on more than one occasion. Vonnie and Janice were also very kind to us over the years. I came down with a nasty head cold during one stay. I was feeling awful and (this was before online everything) went to the concierge desk to cancel an ADR. Vonnie and Janice were on duty. They chatted and commiserated with me. I went up to the lounge to make some tea and a little something to take back to the room. I got back to find a clump of balloons and a get well message tied to the door handle. To this day, I don’t know how they managed it. I was only gone a short while. We miss the RPC, and these CMs in particular. The Lounge just won’t be the same without Loretta, either. I wonder, did Marie take retirement at the same time?
How sweet of them.

Grand Floridian Construction Update - September 2022

Roofing is complete on about half of the building, including the section closest to Big Pine Key. However it is still surrounded by scaffolding as work continues on the exterior.

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

The center part of Boca Chica is completely surrounded by scaffolding.

Significant work is under way on Boca Chica's northernmost stairwell. This is the part of the building furthest from Big Pine Key, but the sounds of construction tools are prone to carry across the pool courtyard.

Restaurant Narcoossee (below) is also closed and surrounded by walls, however there were no signs of active work on that facility. It seems unlikely that Narcoossee will reopen before Boca Chica returns to service.

Boca Chica's exterior is also covered by scaffolding along the shores of the Seven Seas Lagoon, while sections where the roof is being replaced are evident,

Crews have been working on the Boca Chicabuilding since June when Big Pine Key reopened. No word on exactly how long it will take to complete. However it is expected that the other three buildings--Conch Key, Sugarloaf and Sago Cay--will also be renovated, along with extensive work on the main building and lobby.

Dumb question for the pros... I have seen a few posts around saying Gaspy's is back to being open 24/7. I see they show "Late Night Dining" in the app from 11pm-12am... but no hours 12am-6am. Is this a case where the app is wrong? Or are the reports wrong?

TY!

Dumb question for the pros... I have seen a few posts around saying Gaspy's is back to being open 24/7. I see they show "Late Night Dining" in the app from 11pm-12am... but no hours 12am-6am. Is this a case where the app is wrong? Or are the reports wrong?

TY!
My DD works at GF RPC. Her boyfriend works at Gaspy's. They're telling me that Gaspy's closes at midnight.

Thanks for this. Disney’s website/app “usually” isn’t wrong on hours so have been surprised to see the 24/7 comment posted several times. Appreciate the info.
Me too. I'll let you know if I hear anything else. So far my CM's haven't heard any rumors of any change to current hours.

Snagged a resort studio lagoon view 11/16-18! Can’t wait to see the room. We stayed in BPK just prior to closing and I love the view of poly and lagoon!

We are moving to BC 11/18-20 after. Our last there was 2/19.

Of course AP rates change it all lol! So far none our dates.
Do the resort studios have cash reservations? I've never seen any availability for those.

Snagged a resort studio lagoon view 11/16-18! Can’t wait to see the room. We stayed in BPK just prior to closing and I love the view of poly and lagoon!

We are moving to BC 11/18-20 after. Our last there was 2/19.

Of course AP rates change it all lol! So far none our dates.
I overlap you (Poly CL 11/-17-19). I was eyeing those studios but have a hard time walking away from CL, even on my own. Still v tempted to switch to RPC, I keep booking and cancelling, but the rack rates for rooms that really need refurbishment get my goat. Looking forward to your impression of the new rooms.

Do the resort studios have cash reservations? I've never seen any availability for those.
Yes you can but you have to be crazy like me and check often AND catch a cancel.
I overlap you (Poly CL 11/-17-19). I was eyeing those studios but have a hard time walking away from CL, even on my own. Still v tempted to switch to RPC, I keep booking and cancelling, but the rack rates for rooms that really need refurbishment get my goat. Looking forward to your impression of the new rooms.
I was at poly cl originally. We were disappointed in the offerings compared to past experiences and current posts. It seems like in Aug disney did some cutbacks. However GF has been pretty good. I have a few friends that go as often as I do and we compare notes and pix. :)

I do love Poly as a resort but feel like I can do better without cl there. Many options for us at the other bars etc.

Yes you can but you have to be crazy like me and check often AND catch a cancel.

I was at poly cl originally. We were disappointed in the offerings compared to past experiences and current posts. It seems like in Aug disney did some cutbacks. However GF has been pretty good. I have a few friends that go as often as I do and we compare notes and pix. :)

I do love Poly as a resort but feel like I can do better without cl there. Many options for us at the other bars etc.
That’s good to know. I have been back and forth since I (1) have to attend telecons on the 18th and (2) am there to attend a party, so walking distance is a draw. GF club offerings and club in general are just really nice. Also am coming from a work trip and headed home to visit family for the holiday week and will have a massive bag, so I was dreading having to get said bag out to Hawaii. I think I’ll switch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter