Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

So for those who have stayed at both Grand Floridian and Yacht Club what did you like better (or dislike) about Grand Floridian compared to Yacht Club? We are staying Grand Floridian first time in September having stayed Yacht Club our last 4-5 trips.

For me it’s more about the trip plan/length more than anything. At heart I’m a MK resort / monorail resort person. That’s where I feel I’m really at WDW, get the most value for the money, have the best views, more things to do/watch, etc. I’m a sucker for the whole “vacation kingdom of the world” era WDW vibe, and I get that at a monorail resort like GF.

We frequent YC as well, but that’s a different type of trip for us. More Epcot time, more time spent away from the resort. Epcot provides more of the amenities we use vs the resort itself. I really sort of despise the lobby at YC (and BC), but I tolerate it because of the locational advantages and SAB, if I’m being honest.

The MK walkway has absolutely upped my opinion of GF lately.

For me it’s more about the trip plan/length more than anything. At heart I’m a MK resort / monorail resort person. That’s where I feel I’m really at WDW, get the most value for the money, have the best views, more things to do/watch, etc. I’m a sucker for the whole “vacation kingdom of the world” era WDW vibe, and I get that at a monorail resort like GF.

We frequent YC as well, but that’s a different type of trip for us. More Epcot time, more time spent away from the resort. Epcot provides more of the amenities we use vs the resort itself. I really sort of despise the lobby at YC (and BC), but I tolerate it because of the locational advantages and SAB, if I’m being honest.

The MK walkway has absolutely upped my opinion of GF lately.

I agree with this too, especially the “tolerate” part. YC is a nice resort and very practical choice with a lot going for it, but I found my heart just wasn’t in it—I don’t really go to Disney for “nice and practical”, I guess! Like I didn’t feel like hanging out there at all...my resort day there ended up being a morning at HS and then a spa day at the Dolphin. SAB was full of people and I just felt overwhelmed and never attempted it. Meanwhile I canceled dinner at Chef Mickey’s just to spend more time at GF. In particular I found that I really missed having grounds to walk around at YC, whereas at GF I enjoyed just walking around at night taking pictures and wandering around. (Something I also really love about the Poly). At YC it feels like the only “grounds” are the pool.

Having stayed at both BC & YC at this point, I think for me they’re ideal for an Epcot festival-centric weekend sort of trip like I took a couple of years ago, where I’m not spending much time at the resort except to nap. But for a standard 8-10 day trip, I would much prefer a monorail resort and I honestly regret doing a split stay as convenient as it was. As much as I loved walking to HS all the time, the vibe is totally different and I missed the special kind of magic at the MK resorts. I think the next stay I do at Crescent Lake might just be BWI, to see if I like it better.

SAB was full of people and I just felt overwhelmed and never attempted it.

This is one of the big reasons I'm looking for something other than YC/BC. This adults-only trip we plan on spending a good bit of time relaxing at the pool and SAB just gets way too busy and crowded with kids. Hoping the courtyard pool will be pretty laid back.

Thanks for all the responses to my question about the comparison with YC/BC. This makes me feel better. Having never stayed at Grand Floridian I wasn't sure what to expect, but I don't plan on spending much time this trip at Epcot and we can just grab an Uber over to Hollywood Studios. Being able to walk to MK is going to be a huge plus I think--we really like that park at night.

This is one of the big reasons I'm looking for something other than YC/BC. This adults-only trip we plan on spending a good bit of time relaxing at the pool and SAB just gets way too busy and crowded with kids. Hoping the courtyard pool will be pretty laid back.

I think you'll like the vibe at the Courtyard Pool. The Beaches Pool, to me, does get quite crowded/cramped and doesn't feel all that relaxing (it's such a relatively small footprint), but the Courtyard Pool is big, spread out - and with its own bar, there's almost no downside.

Back in 2018 I got a amazing quality prince costume from the gift shop at the Grand Floridian. Anyone who has been lately, does the gift shop still have these costumes? I have not seen them anywhere else on Disney property, online, or anywhere else. The tag said Disney but like I said this is the only place I've ever seen it. If anyone knows of any other way to get one please let me know. I want to stop by in August 2021 trip but don't want to make the effort if they don't have them anymore.

I think you'll like the vibe at the Courtyard Pool. The Beaches Pool, to me, does get quite crowded/cramped and doesn't feel all that relaxing (it's such a relatively small footprint), but the Courtyard Pool is big, spread out - and with its own bar, there's almost no downside.

I liked the Beaches pool a lot (the slide was fun!) but it did get a bit crowded at the peak of the day and I was glad I had the cabana to retreat to. I preferred the Courtyard pool on the other days I was there, taking breaks from the parks. Next time I might consider a patio there.

Thanks for all the responses to my question about the comparison with YC/BC. This makes me feel better. Having never stayed at Grand Floridian I wasn't sure what to expect, but I don't plan on spending much time this trip at Epcot and we can just grab an Uber over to Hollywood Studios. Being able to walk to MK is going to be a huge plus I think--we really like that park at night.
We are in the middle of a split stay between GF and YC. Everything has it's highs and lows. While I do like a more contemporary look at home, I like the themed hotels at DW. We arrived at GF around 10 am (9 am CDT - my home time zone). Our room was just a regular 2Q. I booked a lagoon view and was disappointed in the view, but didn't ask for a change due to the fact that our room was ready and we had been traveling and had gotten up super early. Our room was at the end of Big Pine and our view was mostly of a tree. We could see the water fall at the Beach Pool and a peak at the Poly. At CR and YC, our water views were expansive views of Bay Lake and Crescent Lake. Just mentioning my experience in case you enjoy a water view you may be better off with a Theme Park view.

GF
Pros: A bit more of an upscale "feeling" (example: generally towels and so forth are only replaced every other day lately - at GF it was every day); being in the middle of the MK magic; the beautiful grounds; the walkway to MK; the smaller boats vs. the large Friendship boats; the lovely fragrance is everywhere; The Enchanted Rose; and of course the monorail.
Cons: Having to go outside in the rain to reach the lobby/counter service and such; lack of storage for an over packer like myself!!! (no shelving in the sink area, tiny drawers); lack of space to store luggage; no coffee area (the Keurig is on the desk); and for this trip - no Epcot monorail.

YC-plenty more of pros/cons - but you are familiar with YC
Pros: Beautiful lake view; storage drawers, cubbies, wardrobe racks, and a place for empty luggage under the bed; and a larger safe for larger laptops.
Cons: the grounds are public (lots of people passing through); creepy halls (please change the lighting to something a bit brighter); and Mousekeeping carts everywhere - I love the wicker like baskets at GF.

We really enjoyed GF as first timers and I hope you enjoy your stay.

Can anyone tell me the latest on Magic Kingdom rope drop from GF? What time have they been opening the walkway? What time should we head out to walk over (is walking still the best method?) And anyone know which rides have been opening first?

Can anyone tell me the latest on Magic Kingdom rope drop from GF? What time have they been opening the walkway? What time should we head out to walk over (is walking still the best method?) And anyone know which rides have been opening first?

When I was just there a couple of weeks ago, for rope drop I walked over at 6:45 and got to security just before 7. TBH you really don’t need to start walking any earlier than that. 7 was when they allowed us through security and there were only a tiny handful of people waiting, less than 10. I think walking is definitely the best way to rope drop. Walkers are the first ones at the tapstiles, everyone pouring off buses will end up behind you.

Mine Train obviously was open but I never do that at rope drop. I hit the left side of the park first and only Big Thunder was open that early, and only then after a few minutes. Pirates was online when I got off it. Splash was not open but people had already begun to queue outside the actual queue so it was still worth getting there beforehand, cause I walked right on when it opened.

I liked the Beaches pool a lot (the slide was fun!) but it did get a bit crowded at the peak of the day and I was glad I had the cabana to retreat to. I preferred the Courtyard pool on the other days I was there, taking breaks from the parks. Next time I might consider a patio there.
I totally agree with this! With a cabana, the Beach pool is nice, but otherwise, I prefer the Courtyard pool. I wish the Courtyard pool had a real cabana option or at least the covered patio areas like Poly Oasis pool has! Of course, if you have young children, the Beach pool is probably necessary because of the games and the slide lol, but my kids are basically grown! My DD17 only went down the slide once...but that was partially due to the long line to slide.

We leave in the morning - can't wait for our first stay at GF! Things have been a little hectic this week so I've been following along but not able to post much...there will be many pictures, however! Cabanas, balcony views, lobbies, adult beverages, grounds, pools, etc...

Thank you for all of the information - much appreciated! pooh:

We leave in the morning - can't wait for our first stay at GF! Things have been a little hectic this week so I've been following along but not able to post much...there will be many pictures, however! Cabanas, balcony views, lobbies, adult beverages, grounds, pools, etc...

Thank you for all of the information - much appreciated! pooh:
Enjoy your time at the GF! It will always be magical to me.

Send us reports when you can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter