• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's FORT WILDERNESS CABINS & CAMPGROUNDS Information & Questions

Thank you!!! So the pods fit into the 12 cup coffee pot? I'm the only one who drinks it so this will be plenty. Your response is helpful and much appreciated!
In hindsight "pods" was not the best word to use given the new world of single serving coffee makers. Think of a 4 inch disk of coffee in a filter packet. I found that using 4 (or 5) cups of water produced a drinkable product.

There is usually a regular sized coffee maker in the cabinets as well. I am not sure if they kept this with the update or not.

Thank you!!! So the pods fit into the 12 cup coffee pot? I'm the only one who drinks it so this will be plenty. Your response is helpful and much appreciated!

One other question. Where does one go to get a tonic (I'm from Boston!!!!) or coffee in a refillable mug? Fort Wilderness is new to us and we are very excited to stay there....we usually stay at the lodge and everything is right there so I'm just trying to get an idea of things. I also read there are no towels at the pool?

The Pods do not fit in the pot. The 12 cup coffee pots take basket style coffee filters and regular coffee.
I'm from Boston too, and I have consumed soda my whole life. I don't know anyone here that calls it tonic.

Last edited:
Looking to spend part of our resort day at the Fort. Thought we'd do a meal at trails end. Then explore a little. Have some questions and thought I'd go go straight to the experts :) Any insight much appreciated!

Our trip is end of October. Literally... checking out the 30th. Group is 4 adults, 3 kids (girls 5 & 8, boy is 4)
#1 - Would like to tour the cabins/campgrounds a bit to check out the Halloween decorations. Will have a car, should we drive over? Or can we walk through a bit to view? DH prefers to do Disney transport. We've never been to FW so I'm just not sure how big and how it's laid out.
#2 - when is the Halloween golf cart parade? Do they do more than 1, i would love love love to see but not sure of the schedule
#3 - what meal is best at trails end? Since it's part of our resort/pool day i would want to do either breakfast and stay a few hours or an early dinner and sight see afterwards.
#4 lastly, i think we'd enjoy the wagon or carriage ride...where do you go to sign up for that and you do it there, right...not in advance? What is the difference between the two. Price wise i think it would be comparable. Is the wagon ride more of an actual tour with guide telling history, etc? (That does appeal to me more).

Anything else to do while visiting? I saw the pony rides, but need to keep cost moderate. Any tips welcome. Thanks!

We returned from our first WDW trip about 2 weeks ago and we enjoyed our stay at Fort Wilderness. (Split stay between FW and AKL.) Heard some chatter from one of the boat drivers that Disney is planning to add some DVC Tee Pees on the beach area. Anyone else heard such things? A few tee pees hardly seems worth their time so if adding any DVC it must include more area and some sort of major pool area revamp.

We loved the cabins themselves, but the pool was a major disappointment. No towels, no shade, construction noise, and a lifeguard that yelled at various kids (and it wasn't even mine) constantly. Maybe I was just extra grumpy from the heat /no shade but it wasn't something I ever hoped to try again.

As a DVC member I was interested in the idea, but think it would be quite a project and could disrupt a lot of the charm of FW. Was the boat captain mistaken for WL?

We returned from our first WDW trip about 2 weeks ago and we enjoyed our stay at Fort Wilderness. (Split stay between FW and AKL.) Heard some chatter from one of the boat drivers that Disney is planning to add some DVC Tee Pees on the beach area. Anyone else heard such things? A few tee pees hardly seems worth their time so if adding any DVC it must include more area and some sort of major pool area revamp.

We loved the cabins themselves, but the pool was a major disappointment. No towels, no shade, construction noise, and a lifeguard that yelled at various kids (and it wasn't even mine) constantly. Maybe I was just extra grumpy from the heat /no shade but it wasn't something I ever hoped to try again.

As a DVC member I was interested in the idea, but think it would be quite a project and could disrupt a lot of the charm of FW. Was the boat captain mistaken for WL?

I have heard that rumor many times, but have never seen anything come of it. There is plenty of room around there to put a DVC area if they really want to. If they did I imagine another pool would be added. All of that is of course only speculation until the Mouse speaks.

We are DVC too and honestly, that would have to be some tee pee to get me to use my points. We are out of points, so instead we check into the cabins in 5 days, for our first stay at the Fort :) We spend a lot of time over at the campground on our trips anyway and love the area. Sorry you were disappointed with the pool. Being used the resorts, the no towels thing was weird for me when I read that here on the boards. Otherwise I think July is just HOT shade or not. Hope you enjoyed your trip over all. AKV is my home resort. I hope you enjoyed it!

I have heard that rumor many times, but have never seen anything come of it. There is plenty of room around there to put a DVC area if they really want to. If they did I imagine another pool would be added. All of that is of course only speculation until the Mouse speaks.

We are DVC too and honestly, that would have to be some tee pee to get me to use my points. We are out of points, so instead we check into the cabins in 5 days, for our first stay at the Fort :) We spend a lot of time over at the campground on our trips anyway and love the area. Sorry you were disappointed with the pool. Being used the resorts, the no towels thing was weird for me when I read that here on the boards. Otherwise I think July is just HOT shade or not. Hope you enjoyed your trip over all. AKV is my home resort. I hope you enjoyed it!

Oh yes we loved both Fort Wilderness and AKL. The cabins were heaven for a family reunion with lots cousins to have room to play without the constant shhhing and worrying about how much noise they were making. The kids loved exploring, building forts for the lizards, and the golf carts. AKL was amazing because it's beautiful and it never gets old to look at the animals. Our home resort is Aulani, so no pool is really going to compete but we could at least enjoy both Jambo and Kidani pools. FW pool was miserable, I guess the heat and noise combo got to me. The quiet pool was quieter, but no drink dispenser and still no shade, so it was just too much to deal with for us. So many other fun things at the fort though. Have an awesome trip!

We are at the Fort now, and am really impressed by the whole resort. The only thing is we've found Mousekeeping isn't too good. We've had thick dust on the sides since we've been here, and I don't think the floor has been cleaned at all. Bit of a shame. However, everything else here is wonderful, and we're really enjoying our first stay. I think we've even got the hang of the buses ;-)

The Pods do not fit in the pot. The 12 cup coffee pots take basket style coffee filters and regular coffee.
I'm from Boston too, and I have consumed soda my whole life. I don't know anyone here that calls it tonic.

I am probably much older than you are!!!! Growing up my entire family called it tonic and still do. But my kids, however, call it "soda." Thank you for the info....I appreciate it.

You might be a Bostonian if....

About our "cuisine:"

Soda is club soda. Pop is Dad. If it's fizzy and flavored, it's tonic.

When we mean tonic water, we say tonic water.

I am probably much older than you are!!!! Growing up my entire family called it tonic and still do. But my kids, however, call it "soda." Thank you for the info....I appreciate it.

You might be a Bostonian if....

About our "cuisine:"

Soda is club soda. Pop is Dad. If it's fizzy and flavored, it's tonic.

When we mean tonic water, we say tonic water.

I don't know how old you are, but I am in my mid 60's. Born & raised my entire life in the city of Boston. Only called it soda. If we want club soda we call it club soda. If I want a coke,Pepsi, Sprite etc., etc., we call it soda :-)

I need some info about campfires at the tent sites? If so can someone post a picture of the site please. WE are going down Dec 2017 and part of our group is looking to stay at FW because they love camping. Any info about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There are no campfire rings at the campsites. They do have a little grill.

From allears.net:
You can bring in your own contained campfire unit. Typically, stores call them fire pits or outdoor fireplaces. It's a solid metal bottom on short legs with metal mesh sides and a top. A mesh top is okay at all campsites EXCEPT any of those that are creekside. If you have a creekside spot, you must have a solid metal top for your fire pit. This is to better prevent embers from spreading to the greater amount trees and foliage (and wildlife) that are around the creeks. For example, the creek/dog walk along Loop 300 has a large wooded area with deer, eagles, armadillos and more making their home there. Click here for a list of acceptable campfire pits.

Question - don't know if I missed it, but are there ceiling fans in the cabins in any of the rooms? So used to sleeping with a ceiling fan on & I just made reservations for October.

We are not staying at the cabins, but are planning on going to the Chip 'n Dale sing along on our trip in October. I noticed that the Disney website doesn't show it available past August. Is that typical for it not to be updated? With all the cuts Disney has been making lately I'm afraid they'll take it away and replace it with something you have to pay for!

This may seem like a silly question, but if we have a four seater golf cart rented, what do we do with our double stroller? We will have 4 adults and 2 small kids that can ride on laps. Is there a place for strollers on these carts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter