Disney's FORT WILDERNESS CABINS & CAMPGROUNDS Information & Questions

Those photos are super helpful. Thanks so much!! Are there any significant child-proofing issues that you have noticed in the refurbed cabins? The two televisions are attached to the walls, correct? I'm just trying to think about what I may need to bring to child-proof the cabin for my two-year old. She, of course, likes to get in to cabinets and drawers, climb on things, open doors, etc.
So glad they helped! The TVs are fixed, but otherwise there's no childproofing--not to the outlets, or the cabinets, or anything else. The cabinet to the right of the living room TV has all the control cables--not, I think, dangerous, but a mess if busy young hands unplugged them...

Yes the fort is very relaxing. Your cabin is a wonderful retreat from the parks. Love that the cabins have a nice porch to sit out on.
The only concern I would have with the make up of your group is the sleeping arrangements. You will have a queen bed, a bunk bed, a couch that folds out to a queen, and a pack n play. Will that work with the 3 grown children? I did sleep on the bottom bunk one night and was fine but I'm only 5'1".

Are the bunk beds regular twin beds or even smaller?

I measured the bunks as 33" wide by 66 inches long--much shorter than a twin. Because they are surrounded with wood rails, they sleep even shorter than the 66" implies.

I measured the bunks as 33" wide by 66 inches long--much shorter than a twin. Because they are surrounded with wood rails, they sleep even shorter than the 66" implies.

Thanks Dave. Would also like to thank you for all the info on your website. Now I'm just disappointed that it looks like the cabins will not work for us. Ugh, I was so looking forward to then but my plan was to have the 22 and 20 DDs to use them but they are both taller than me and I'm 5'6.

So I did notice that there are a few businesses that rent trailers and place them on the site you rent. Anyone have any experience doing this? Is there another board that this might be a topic?

Thanks Dave. Would also like to thank you for all the info on your website. Now I'm just disappointed that it looks like the cabins will not work for us. Ugh, I was so looking forward to then but my plan was to have the 22 and 20 DDs to use them but they are both taller than me and I'm 5'6.

So I did notice that there are a few businesses that rent trailers and place them on the site you rent. Anyone have any experience doing this? Is there another board that this might be a topic?
Ask over on the camping board. Or poke around there. You may find what you need to know.

http://www.disboards.com/forums/camping-at-disney-world.24/

So glad they helped! The TVs are fixed, but otherwise there's no childproofing--not to the outlets, or the cabinets, or anything else. The cabinet to the right of the living room TV has all the control cables--not, I think, dangerous, but a mess if busy young hands unplugged them...
Thanks, Dave. I'm relieved that the TV's are attached. I should be able to move most things out of low cabinets and drawers to keep my daughter (and the items) safe, and it looks like I can use some pipe cleaners to close up the cabinet with the TV cables in it. Are all of the doorknobs just regular doorknobs, or are some of them handles? I want to make sure she can't escape the cabin or get in to the bathroom.

How often do campsites open up and when should I most be looking for them? We have moved our stay up by about a week and I was only able to get a full hookup campsite when in reality we only need a tent site.

How often do campsites open up and when should I most be looking for them? We have moved our stay up by about a week and I was only able to get a full hookup campsite when in reality we only need a tent site.

All you can do is keep checking every day a few times a day. Chances are a tent site will not open up since people have started making reservations that they never actually use just to get magic bands and fast passes at 60 days.

how long of a walk is it from the 2400 loop area to the boat dock? We're looking forward to a different WDW experience this time!

Last edited:
Good Morning! It has been quite a few years since I have posted on the Dis boards but, here I am with a couple of questions :) I have a cabin booked for the first week of August & this will be my first trip back to Disney since 2009! We will be driving & want to make a grocery stop before we check in, anyone happen to have the address of the closet Walmart to FW? Also we will probably make use of the charcoal grill a couple of times, do we need to bring a metal spatula & tongs? From the pictures it looks like they only provide plastic. I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on. Thank you in advance for any help!

Seriously considering the cabin for our September trip, but I have one concern. My son has spina bifida and needs a wheelchair when in Disney, as he can only go about 200 feet before he needs to sit. He's able to climb stairs with assistance from my husband, so I'm not worried about requesting an accessible cabin. The transportation is my concern. We always rent a car and drive to the parks (the dirty looks from people when my son, the wheelchair, and the rest of our family of 4 boards the bus first makes our trip less than magical so we avoid the bus) except for the Magic Kingdom, because I hate dealing with the TTC. I thought Ft. Wilderness was the perfect option because we could boat to the MK and eliminate the bus. As I'm doing my research, because we've only been to the Ft. once before in 2010 for HDDR, I read that you can't drive your car to park at the Marina and the walk from the cabins to the Marina is about a mile, so now we're stuck taking a bus within the Ft. to get to the boat to go to the MK.

Would it be better/faster/easier for us to drive to the TTC and then go to the MK or just deal with the internal bus? We have a 8:05 BOG breakfast reservation and I'm reading that the internal buses don't start running until 7. Would that give us enough time to bus to the marina and then take the boat?

Any other tips for a Disney veteran who is a newbie to Ft. Wilderness?

We have an 8:00 ADR in MK. Is there a way to get to MK by boat that early?

Green Flag boats to MK start running 30 minutes before MK opens.

Blue Flag boats serving Ft. Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge and Contemporary start running at 6:45AM. Then you can walk over to MK from the Contemporary.

So depending on what time MK opens one of these will get you there.

Just got back from a stay at the cabins. A few things.

Trail's end chicken meal takeout is the best value on the property. You can get 10 pieces of white meat chicken with two sides and five large pieces of cornbread for $30. It's enough for two meals (especially if they put in 10 chicken breasts) for four people. I don't think the local fried chicken places where I live offer that kind of deal.

This is a great deal. We had this several times during our stay. It's the same fried chicken, corn bread and mashed potatoes as HDDR ... yum!

Great info - thanks! We have a 7:00 ADR at Chef Mickey at the Contemporary. Think we could get there in time on the boat? I could either delay the ADR to 7:15 or use a different mode of transporation.

You will likely make it for 7 but might want to push it to 7:15 to not feel rushed. The launch from FW starts running at 6:45 and goes to the Contemporary first, but you still have to dock and walk to the restaurant.

Where do you pick up your resort mugs when you are on the dining plan?

You can get them at one of the Settlement Trading Post or The Meadows.

how long of a walk is it from the 2400 loop area to the boat dock? We're looking forward to a different WDW experience this time!

The Fort is fairly large...as crow flies, from end to end is about a mile. The walk from 2400 to the dock isn't short, but definitely can be done. I would give myself around 15 minutes...depending on how fast you walk. You'll totally enjoy the Fort. Definitely a different experience from staying in one of the other resorts.

Good Morning! It has been quite a few years since I have posted on the Dis boards but, here I am with a couple of questions :) I have a cabin booked for the first week of August & this will be my first trip back to Disney since 2009! We will be driving & want to make a grocery stop before we check in, anyone happen to have the address of the closet Walmart to FW? Also we will probably make use of the charcoal grill a couple of times, do we need to bring a metal spatula & tongs? From the pictures it looks like they only provide plastic. I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on. Thank you in advance for any help!

Welcome back! There are several Wal-Marts in the area; one on Vineland road and one on Turkey Lake road...about a 15-20 minute drive. Not sure of the exact address off the top of my head. If you have a GPS, all of the surrounding stores should pop up if you plug "Wal-Mart" in. As far as the tongs go, I can't remember if there are grilling utensils in the cabins or not. Since you are driving and have plenty of room in the car, I would probably bring my own.

Seriously considering the cabin for our September trip, but I have one concern. My son has spina bifida and needs a wheelchair when in Disney, as he can only go about 200 feet before he needs to sit. He's able to climb stairs with assistance from my husband, so I'm not worried about requesting an accessible cabin. The transportation is my concern. We always rent a car and drive to the parks (the dirty looks from people when my son, the wheelchair, and the rest of our family of 4 boards the bus first makes our trip less than magical so we avoid the bus) except for the Magic Kingdom, because I hate dealing with the TTC. I thought Ft. Wilderness was the perfect option because we could boat to the MK and eliminate the bus. As I'm doing my research, because we've only been to the Ft. once before in 2010 for HDDR, I read that you can't drive your car to park at the Marina and the walk from the cabins to the Marina is about a mile, so now we're stuck taking a bus within the Ft. to get to the boat to go to the MK.

Would it be better/faster/easier for us to drive to the TTC and then go to the MK or just deal with the internal bus? We have a 8:05 BOG breakfast reservation and I'm reading that the internal buses don't start running until 7. Would that give us enough time to bus to the marina and then take the boat?

Any other tips for a Disney veteran who is a newbie to Ft. Wilderness?

You are correct...no parking at the marina. You should have plenty of time to make it to BOG. If you are out at the bus stop at 7, there shouldn't be a problem and it shouldn't be crowded. I understand not wanting to go to the TTC...it's never a Magical experience for us either...lol! When you get to the Fort, check the times for boats. You could always take the internal bus to the marina, then take the big boat straight over to the MK.

For those that have been to the refurbed cabins what furniture is now on the deck? I saw a partial picture that looks like 2 rocking chairs but is there anything else? Is the picnic table gone? I really love the rocking chairs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter