Disney's FORT WILDERNESS CABINS & CAMPGROUNDS Information & Questions

Hey Heather! Long time no "see"! I've been MIA from the boards for a while now but was happy to see you handling this thread. You've done an excellent job with it!

My family is going to WDW from 5/29-6/5. Yes, I'm crazy for going during Memorial Day week. But we went during Easter week this past year and actually thought it was very doable with a good plan. Anyway, for this trip, the deluxes are out of my budget even with the spring discount. I have booked several different values and moderates but none have sat right with me so I keep changing. Shocker, right? As of now, we are booked in a cabin @ Ft Wilderness. This will be our 1st time staying there. I am excited about the space and newly rehabbed cabins. My only concern is transportation We most likely will not rent a golf cart. We will drive ourselves to AK & DHS. For EPCOT, we will boat to CR & take the monorail. For MK, we'll do the boat.

But, I do have one concern: one day we have a 730 am ADR @ Chef Mickey's. My understanding is that the boat to CR starts running at 645 so that should be ok. However, I can't seem to find (or have overlooked) what time the internal buses start running. Will there be a bus come by the cabins early enough to get us to the Settlement Depot for 645am?

Many Thanks! And Happy New Year to all!!

Howdy!!:wave: So good to "see" you on the Boards. I'm not on near as much as I would like to be (notice the delay in responses) With all the kids activities and my new role at school, it can be a bit crazy!!

So excited for your choice in resorts!!! We LOVE Fort Wilderness. In fact we love it so much that we're in the process of trying to find a camper. Making the switch from cabin to camping.

You'll be fine without a cart...although...you know how I love them for convenience ;) Make sure you request a cabin that is close to a bus stop. When you get there, I would check on boat times and bus times and see how early they run. You could always drive your car to the CR. In fact, that might save you some headache and stress. And quite honestly, when we caught the bus to DTD and AK, it was no problem at all. I was actually surprised. I have a feeling that you will love the extra space in the cabin, and really enjoy the convenience of being able to have breakfast or lunch at the cabin especially if you're taking a day and hanging out at the Fort.

Oh...and no worries about the time you're going. You know that's when we use to go, and yes it's crowded...but it's fine. Since you're a planner, y'all will have a great time. And while it may be warm, at least it won't be hot like August ::yes::

Enjoy planning!! Can't wait to hear about it!! Keep us posted!!:flower:

So excited for our 3rd stay at the cabins in Feb. I love it there. We were at POFQ in September but it wasn't the same. I love everything about the cabins. My adult kids love having a golf cart to ride around in too.

Wish I could actually see first hand the inside of the new cabins. They look FABULOUS!! You'll have to post a few pictures for us :teeth: My kids love that golf cart, too....so much, that we had to buy one at home :laughing: Now we can carry it to the Fort!

I'd like to take my 4 year old on the wagon ride and do the campfire. I don't think he can stay awake until the 8:30 ride. Would it be possible to do the wagon ride for 6 pm and make it to the campfire for 7 pm?

The second part of the question if it's not enough time I may do the private carriage ride instead. Do I need advance reservations?

Thanks

The wagon ride last around 45 minutes, so you should have time to make it to the campfire. If you choose to do the other, advanced reservations are probably smart for the carriage ride. You can call 407-WDW-PLAY. Hope that helps. Happy Planning!

Anyone know the 2016 start time for the campfire for March? Tia

In the Fall and Winter, the campire sing-a-long usually starts at 7pm. During the Spring and Summer, it's usually at 8pm. On March 1st, the times should be posted.

We will be at arriving at the fort next Saturday for a week log cabin stay! Our fifth stay in total. We've spent 32 nights of our life at the fort--wish it could be more! The cabins are the cheapest multi-room accomadation on property. It always surprises me that they're not more popular. People will pay twice the amount for DVC rooms...crazy.

We will be at arriving at the fort next Saturday for a week log cabin stay! Our fifth stay in total. We've spent 32 nights of our life at the fort--wish it could be more! The cabins are the cheapest multi-room accomadation on property. It always surprises me that they're not more popular. People will pay twice the amount for DVC rooms...crazy.
Shhhhhhh
Let's just keep this out lil secret.
LOL

Hey, does anyone know if the wifi has been set up for the campsites yet ? I read on here somewhere that they were working on it.

Please help! We are planning a day at the Fort in August. The kids want to do everything. How do plan your day at the Fort?

Hey, does anyone know if the wifi has been set up for the campsites yet ? I read on here somewhere that they were working on it.

Someone posted on the camping forum under the January Live Trip Report that the antennas were going up around the sites and that they hoped to be up and running by January 31st. Everybody's fingers are crossed.

Please help! We are planning a day at the Fort in August. The kids want to do everything. How do plan your day at the Fort?

Hmm, that's a tough one. When we camp at Fort Wilderness we usually are there a minimum of 9-10 days. This allows for a down day on arrival and a few down days in between park runs for us to actually "vacation" and relax. So we spread our Fort activities out over those couple of days, repeating some things each day like the pool and people watching on the porch at Trails End.

In your case it sounds like you are not staying at the Fort, so visiting from another resort or offsite? There are a lot of things to do. There is horseback riding which is right behind the main bus stop at the front of the resort. Riders have to be 9 y/o and 48 inches tall to ride. The rides are guided tours, slow paced. To make advanced reservations, call 407-939-7529. Reservations can be made up to 30 days in advance. To make Same-Day reservations, call 407-824-2832. Ticket prices were $46 this last time that we rode in October. If your kids are too small, you can make your way to the marina side of the Fort near Pioneer Hall. Around the back is Tri Circle D Ranch. This is where Walt Disney World keeps its horses for the shows and parades. There is a petting farm here as well with smaller ponies that the younger kids can ride. It is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. for children at least 2 years old, weighing no more than 80 pounds and no taller than 48 inches. They must also be able to hold on by themselves. Cost is $8, cash only. You get to lead the pony around the petting area while your younger one gets to ride.

Archery is available as well, on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday I believe from 2pm until 4pm. It costs $40 per person, is about 90 minutes long teaching the use of the compound bow.

You can rent bikes at the Bike Barn for $9 an hour if you would like to ride around the Fort and go through the loops and tour the place. You can also rent canoes there as well and paddle short distances on the canals if they are in to that kind of thing.

At the Settlement / Marina area there is carriage rides and wagon rides available. Usually about 45 minutes in length. You can book in advance by calling 407-939-7529. They usually start the rides around 6pm but this past October we had arrived at Trail's End around 5pm to let the kids play at the playground and see the horses at the stables and the lady was already set up with the carriage. We asked her and she told us we could go ahead and ride now if we liked so we were able to ride a full hour early.

If you are into dinner shows, then Hoop Dee Doo is something you might enjoy, although be it expensive. It is the longest running stage show in America and has good crowd interaction with home cooking food served in buckets brought to your table. You are given plates, you just get to serve yourself the ribs, chicken, corn, potatoes, etc. Runs around $60 per person, kids are (3-9) are around $30, depending on the seating area you choose. Shows are nightly at 4, 6:15, and 8:30 and reservations are a must.

There is fishing, which you can rent poles at the Bike Barn and can fish the canals where there are some pretty nice bream and bass.

Numerous playgrounds are scattered throughout the resort as well as two pools, volleyball courts, basketball courts, etc.

Some others may have some more suggestions, this isn't everything.

I would get a list of the things offered and ask your kids what they would like to do and determine their abilities to do those things based on age restrictions. Then map it out. Do the horseback rides first if you are coming in by bus, then use the internal buses to get you to the other locations throughout the Fort. Here is a map of the Fort including the bus routes.

2007 Fort Wilderness Resort.jpg

I have a question about dockside fishing- what are the hours?
This is from the Dis:

Cane Pole Fishing
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside from 7:00am - 3:00pm

• Family plan for up to 6 guests: $13.32 per 30 minutes
  • Per person up to 30 minutes: $4.02
  • Pole, bait and dock time included
  • Last poles out at 2:30pm
Disney Ft. Wilderness Resort & Campground from 9:00am - 5:00pm

• All day casting rod: $9.52
  • 30 minute cane pole: $4.00
  • 30 minute casting pole: $5.50
  • All day cane pole: $8.86
  • Worms & Wigglers: $3.68
  • Night crawlers: $3.89
Call the Resort Recreation Reservation Center at (407) WDW-BASS (407-939-2277) for exact equipment rental times and additional information
See AllDisney News and Updates

Now, these times are when the rental locations are open. I have personally been on the canals at daylight with my own gear. I was told by a CM at the dock that there was no fishing allowed from the docks or from the beach at Fort Wilderness. The canals and the lake at the Meadows is fair game. I was not told by them any strict time restrictions.

P.S.
Hot dog weiners seem to be the best bait in my experience.

This is from the Dis:

Cane Pole Fishing
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside from 7:00am - 3:00pm

• Family plan for up to 6 guests: $13.32 per 30 minutes
  • Per person up to 30 minutes: $4.02
  • Pole, bait and dock time included
  • Last poles out at 2:30pm
Disney Ft. Wilderness Resort & Campground from 9:00am - 5:00pm

• All day casting rod: $9.52
  • 30 minute cane pole: $4.00
  • 30 minute casting pole: $5.50
  • All day cane pole: $8.86
  • Worms & Wigglers: $3.68
  • Night crawlers: $3.89
Call the Resort Recreation Reservation Center at (407) WDW-BASS (407-939-2277) for exact equipment rental times and additional information
See AllDisney News and Updates

Now, these times are when the rental locations are open. I have personally been on the canals at daylight with my own gear. I was told by a CM at the dock that there was no fishing allowed from the docks or from the beach at Fort Wilderness. The canals and the lake at the Meadows is fair game. I was not told by them any strict time restrictions.

P.S.
Hot dog weiners seem to be the best bait in my experience.

Awesome- thank you. So you are allowed to bring your own gear as well? Can you fish past 5:00 if you already have your gear?

Hmm, that's a tough one. When we camp at Fort Wilderness we usually are there a minimum of 9-10 days. This allows for a down day on arrival and a few down days in between park runs for us to actually "vacation" and relax. So we spread our Fort activities out over those couple of days, repeating some things each day like the pool and people watching on the porch at Trails End.

In your case it sounds like you are not staying at the Fort, so visiting from another resort or offsite? There are a lot of things to do. There is horseback riding which is right behind the main bus stop at the front of the resort. Riders have to be 9 y/o and 48 inches tall to ride. The rides are guided tours, slow paced. To make advanced reservations, call 407-939-7529. Reservations can be made up to 30 days in advance. To make Same-Day reservations, call 407-824-2832. Ticket prices were $46 this last time that we rode in October. If your kids are too small, you can make your way to the marina side of the Fort near Pioneer Hall. Around the back is Tri Circle D Ranch. This is where Walt Disney World keeps its horses for the shows and parades. There is a petting farm here as well with smaller ponies that the younger kids can ride. It is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. for children at least 2 years old, weighing no more than 80 pounds and no taller than 48 inches. They must also be able to hold on by themselves. Cost is $8, cash only. You get to lead the pony around the petting area while your younger one gets to ride.

Archery is available as well, on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday I believe from 2pm until 4pm. It costs $40 per person, is about 90 minutes long teaching the use of the compound bow.

You can rent bikes at the Bike Barn for $9 an hour if you would like to ride around the Fort and go through the loops and tour the place. You can also rent canoes there as well and paddle short distances on the canals if they are in to that kind of thing.

At the Settlement / Marina area there is carriage rides and wagon rides available. Usually about 45 minutes in length. You can book in advance by calling 407-939-7529. They usually start the rides around 6pm but this past October we had arrived at Trail's End around 5pm to let the kids play at the playground and see the horses at the stables and the lady was already set up with the carriage. We asked her and she told us we could go ahead and ride now if we liked so we were able to ride a full hour early.

If you are into dinner shows, then Hoop Dee Doo is something you might enjoy, although be it expensive. It is the longest running stage show in America and has good crowd interaction with home cooking food served in buckets brought to your table. You are given plates, you just get to serve yourself the ribs, chicken, corn, potatoes, etc. Runs around $60 per person, kids are (3-9) are around $30, depending on the seating area you choose. Shows are nightly at 4, 6:15, and 8:30 and reservations are a must.

There is fishing, which you can rent poles at the Bike Barn and can fish the canals where there are some pretty nice bream and bass.

Numerous playgrounds are scattered throughout the resort as well as two pools, volleyball courts, basketball courts, etc.

Some others may have some more suggestions, this isn't everything.

I would get a list of the things offered and ask your kids what they would like to do and determine their abilities to do those things based on age restrictions. Then map it out. Do the horseback rides first if you are coming in by bus, then use the internal buses to get you to the other locations throughout the Fort. Here is a map of the Fort including the bus routes.

View attachment 147296
Thank you very much. This will really help us plan.

We are staying in a cabin in June. We will be flying in and will be using magical express. Does Fort Wilderness work the same way with baggage being put into your room just like other resorts? Also, on the day we leave we are not flying out until 8pm, so most likely we will have to get on magical express around 5. Does Fort Wilderness have a place that can keep our baggage until it is time to leave? Or can you pay extra to have a later checkout time? is the a airport check-in area like the other resorts?

We are staying in a cabin in June. We will be flying in and will be using magical express. Does Fort Wilderness work the same way with baggage being put into your room just like other resorts? Also, on the day we leave we are not flying out until 8pm, so most likely we will have to get on magical express around 5. Does Fort Wilderness have a place that can keep our baggage until it is time to leave? Or can you pay extra to have a later checkout time? is the a airport check-in area like the other resorts?
Yes FW has all the same magical express services as the other resorts. They will deliver luggage to your cabin. They have bell services at the check in building where you can store luggage when you check out and they have the same resort airline check in.
Have a wonderful trip!

Yes FW has all the same magical express services as the other resorts. They will deliver luggage to your cabin. They have bell services at the check in building where you can store luggage when you check out and they have the same resort airline check in.
Have a wonderful trip!
Thanks! Also, does anyone know if you can pay for late check-out?

Thanks! Also, does anyone know if you can pay for late check-out?

The latest we've ever been able to check out is 12:15 and they didn't charge us. Of course it was a slow time at Disney. When we were at the YC last September, we asked for a late check-out, and they said no. I could be wrong, but if it's going to be later than noonish, I think they will charge you for another day. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The latest we've ever been able to check out is 12:15 and they didn't charge us. Of course it was a slow time at Disney. When we were at the YC last September, we asked for a late check-out, and they said no. I could be wrong, but if it's going to be later than noonish, I think they will charge you for another day. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I've heard the same thing. Later than noon usually = additional day charged. But hey, always hope for some dust right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter