Disney's Club Level (CL) Information & Questions

How does Disney prevent non club-level gas from hanging out in the club lounge and eating snacks? I know you have to scan a band to enter but is anyone watching that process because I'm sure one family scans in and then someone can just walk in behind?

The club levels are in secured floors/ buildings. I think it would be obvious if there were families hanging out & rushing to enter when someone else taps in. We were on the Tower Club level at the CR a few years ago. A couple & their teen daughters were on the elevator with me & got off in the floor at the same time I did. I walked down to my room on the right & they went down the hall to the left, not directly to the lounge. A few minutes later, I went to the lounge balcony to watch the fireworks. The family was out there as were several other people. They were standing very near me & a CM went up to them & quietly said they would have to leave as this area is reserved for tower club guests. I don't know if they were Atrium level guests who just decided to check out the other floor, or if they just decided to "sneak" up to CL or what. But clearly, the CMs were aware they did not belong there & discreetly handled it.

The club levels are in secured floors/ buildings. I think it would be obvious if there were families hanging out & rushing to enter when someone else taps in. We were on the Tower Club level at the CR a few years ago. A couple & their teen daughters were on the elevator with me & got off in the floor at the same time I did. I walked down to my room on the right & they went down the hall to the left, not directly to the lounge. A few minutes later, I went to the lounge balcony to watch the fireworks. The family was out there as were several other people. They were standing very near me & a CM went up to them & quietly said they would have to leave as this area is reserved for tower club guests. I don't know if they were Atrium level guests who just decided to check out the other floor, or if they just decided to "sneak" up to CL or what. But clearly, the CMs were aware they did not belong there & discreetly handled it.
I wonder how they knew they weren't CL guests. Magicbands? Or, did someone say something? They do have passive readers.

Which begs a question. My brother lives in Tampa. What if he and his wife came to spend the day with us? Could they come to the lounge with us and hang out for a while?

Mike

How does Disney prevent non club-level gas from hanging out in the club lounge and eating snacks? I know you have to scan a band to enter but is anyone watching that process because I'm sure one family scans in and then someone can just walk in behind?
That became such a problem at Grand Californian they now have a CM stationed by the door making everyone (even kids) show their room key or they are not allowed in. If WDW ends up with a big prob at any of their lounges they’ll have to go the same route with a CM with a MB scanner. It really takes away from the experience going through CM “security” every time you enter so I hope WDW doesn’t have to do this. WDW has some setups that prevent that type of cheating from getting out of hand imho: MB accessed buildings for CLs & MB accessed CL floors. Seems to do a good enough job for now.

I wonder how they knew they weren't CL guests. Magicbands? Or, did someone say something? They do have passive readers.

Which begs a question. My brother lives in Tampa. What if he and his wife came to spend the day with us? Could they come to the lounge with us and hang out for a while?

Mike

DH's niece and husband live in Tampa. Twice they have made the trip to WDW to see us for a day. Both times we asked at the CL desk if it would be ok for them to join us in the lounge. It was during the morning breakfast time. Each time the CMs not only said yes, but encouraged them to have something to eat and drink. We would have been fine if they said no and would have just met them in the lobby. So I think the immediate answer is no, they may not just join you, but they may be able to if the circumstance is right and you have cleared it with the CM at CL..

Last edited:

Mike

I think the CM’s working at club level are trained to recognize all the guests.... I don’t know about Disney’s CL but at Portofino Bay where my family visited last summe, the manager was always “looking” and holding a list of guests. When we checked in, the manager was not there. But on that evening, the manager was there greeting us by our last name although none of us formally introduced ourselves to him nor the staff. I think they just know who can stay and who cannot.

DH niece and husband live in Tampa. Twice they have made the trip to WDW to see us for a day. Both times we asked at the CL desk if it would be ok for them to join us in the lounge. It was during the morning breakfast time. Each time the CMs not only said yes, but encouraged them to have something to eat and drink. We would have been fine if they said no and would have just met them in the lobby. So I think the immediate answer is no, they may not just join you, but they may be able to if the circumstance is right and you have cleared it with the CM at CL..
Well, it can't hurt to ask. Nice to hear from someone's actual experiences.

Mike

I think the CM’s working at club level are trained to recognize all the guests.... I don’t know about Disney’s CL but at Portofino Bay where my family visited last summe, the manager was always “looking” and holding a list of guests. When we checked in, the manager was not there. But on that evening, the manager was there greeting us by our last name although none of us formally introduced ourselves to him nor the staff. I think they just know who can stay and who cannot.
When we stayed at Hard Rock CL last year we had to use our room key to get onto our floor and into the CL lounge. But, I didn't see anyone checking who was on the floor or in the CL lounge. Sometimes the lounge door was open and people were going in and out but nobody ever asked.

We're staying at Poly CL in Nov. CMs are probably trained to try to keep track and recognize CL guests but there are three floors of rooms at Poly so I don't think the CMs could remember them all by sight especially with check in/check out overlaps or the 1 & 2ish night CL stays. I'm pretty sure they're not going to know every guest by sight.

I kinda think that focusondisney experience was either passive MB scanning or someone said something to the CM. Although, I'm not sure how many guests there are on CR CL so maybe the CM could recognize they weren't CL guests in that case.

We know they passively scan MBs so I'd guess that's probably the easiest way for them to determine who is or isn't a CL guest.

Mike

When we stayed at Hard Rock CL last year we had to use our room key to get onto our floor and into the CL lounge. But, I didn't see anyone checking who was on the floor or in the CL lounge. Sometimes the lounge door was open and people were going in and out but nobody ever asked.

We're staying at Poly CL in Nov. CMs are probably trained to try to keep track and recognize CL guests but there are three floors of rooms at Poly so I don't think the CMs could remember them all by sight especially with check in/check out overlaps or the 1 & 2ish night CL stays. I'm pretty sure they're not going to know every guest by sight.

I kinda think that focusondisney experience was either passive MB scanning or someone said something to the CM. Although, I'm not sure how many guests there are on CR CL so maybe the CM could recognize they weren't CL guests in that case.

We know they passively scan MBs so I'd guess that's probably the easiest way for them to determine who is or isn't a CL guest.

Mike

Poly CL is in a separate building. You have to scan your band to get in. So anyone who doesn't belong would really have to sneak in behind someone else. And I think it would be really obvious that they were sneaking in. So hopefully a CM would notice or the other guest would say something. We stay CL every trip, usually at YC. But we have also done BWI, GF RPC & CR. We make 1 -3 trips per year. I can't remember noticing anyone else try to get to a floor they didn't seem to belong on. At YC, BC & GF RPC, you have to tap the elevator button to get to the CL floor. So I think it is a little hard to just sneak into the CL floor. If we get on an elevator with someone else, they usually push their floor & then we tap our floor. So it is obvious they are getting off sooner. And they would probably look out of place when they get off the elevator & don't know where they are going.

I know it has happened that people sneak in because I have read reports years ago. But I just don't think it is really common. And if they are monitoring our MBs to see if we belong, I have never seen evidence of that. We don't really "get to know" the CMs, even tho we go so often. And they never seem to know us, except to smile & say have a good day etc. I have never approached the CM desk & had them know who I was. So I'm not sure they are tracking my MB.

Poly CL is in a separate building. You have to scan your band to get in. So anyone who doesn't belong would really have to sneak in behind someone else. And I think it would be really obvious that they were sneaking in. So hopefully a CM would notice or the other guest would say something. We stay CL every trip, usually at YC. But we have also done BWI, GF RPC & CR. We make 1 -3 trips per year. I can't remember noticing anyone else try to get to a floor they didn't seem to belong on. At YC, BC & GF RPC, you have to tap the elevator button to get to the CL floor. So I think it is a little hard to just sneak into the CL floor. If we get on an elevator with someone else, they usually push their floor & then we tap our floor. So it is obvious they are getting off sooner. And they would probably look out of place when they get off the elevator & don't know where they are going.

I know it has happened that people sneak in because I have read reports years ago. But I just don't think it is really common. And if they are monitoring our MBs to see if we belong, I have never seen evidence of that. We don't really "get to know" the CMs, even tho we go so often. And they never seem to know us, except to smile & say have a good day etc. I have never approached the CM desk & had them know who I was. So I'm not sure they are tracking my MB.
I’m not sure they are tracking our MBs everywhere we go but they are definitely using the RFID tech to track our locations for rides.

We were on Aerosmith last December and as we went into one of the last spaces before the ride there were projections on the wall with the names and home towns of people in line. Including my daughter.

Our MBs pass through passive scanners on rides so we get our pictures automatically uploaded to Memory Maker account.

They are definitely passively reading our MBs in certain situations so it’s not out of the realm of possibility to think they could tell if non-CL guests enter a CL lounge. Are they doing that...I have no idea but it’s possible.

Mike

Last edited:

Your two posts kind of contradict each other. On the one hand you say that the CL's are secured floors or buildings and then you describe a situation where someone got off on the same floor as you at CR CL and wound up in the lounge. Did you have to tap your band at CR in the elevators? If not then you must have had to tap your bands at the lounge. Either way these people did exactly what you said couldn't be done without a CM knowing. That would be following someone else into the lounge or they followed you onto the CL floor. It took you a few minutes to get to the lounge and they were on the balcony already. If the CM's knew the CL guests they would have stopped them before they made it to the balcony. I don't see how this couldn't easily be replicated at other resorts. I am sure it is not done frequently but I am sure it is done. There is no way the CM's know every CL guest and someone getting on an elevator to the CL or lounge could have others behind them that they accidentally let in. It would be very easy to look like you know where your going.

We've stayed at BC and AKL CL. If you entered the elevator after someone who had tapped their MB for the CL, it would be easy for someone not staying CL to access the floor.

Your two posts kind of contradict each other. On the one hand you say that the CL's are secured floors or buildings and then you describe a situation where someone got off on the same floor as you at CR CL and wound up in the lounge. Did you have to tap your band at CR in the elevators? If not then you must have had to tap your bands at the lounge. Either way these people did exactly what you said couldn't be done without a CM knowing. That would be following someone else into the lounge or they followed you onto the CL floor. It took you a few minutes to get to the lounge and they were on the balcony already. If the CM's knew the CL guests they would have stopped them before they made it to the balcony. I don't see how this couldn't easily be replicated at other resorts. I am sure it is not done frequently but I am sure it is done. There is no way the CM's know every CL guest and someone getting on an elevator to the CL or lounge could have others behind them that they accidentally let in. It would be very easy to look like you know where your going.

I only stayed at CR resort that one time. As I remember, the elevator was crowded & I did have to tap my band. Other people were on he elevator already when I got on. I don't remember when this family got on, or if they were already on. The tower club is on the 14 th floor & by the time we got there, it was this family of 4 & me. They were chatting with each other as they got off & seemed to know where they were going. I did not think anything of it until I heard the CM ask them to leave. For all I know, they were just on the wrong floor. Heck, we had 2 CMs take us to the wrong floor as we were checking in there. So I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. The CMs were out on the balcony when I got there, so maybe they went back to the elevator, saw the lounge & wandered out there coz there was nobody to stop them? I don't know. My point was that is the only time I have personally experienced someone who doesn't belong there get into the lounge.

And I did say I have read other reports, so I know it is something that can happen. It just isn't something I have run into very often in 20 years of club level stays.

Also, I thought the poster was asking about Poly CL. That is a separate building. If I saw people hanging around the door, waiting for someone else to open it & then they came in after, I think that would be obvious. That would probably make me wonder if they really belonged there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter