• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's ART OF ANIMATION RESORT Information & Questions

We are taking my 21 year old daughter and I just switched to a suite at AoA because I need the 2 bathrooms. She takes forever to get ready in the morning. We were booked at Gran Destino and the bathroom setup there was not going to work for us, so I started looking for 2 bathroom options. I have had a rough year -- my dad died in Nov. and I had major emergency surgery on Jan 1 -- so we decided to splurge. We haven't told my daughter yet and I'm thinking it will be a surprise. Unless she looks at MDE and finds it. She was in the college program last year when it shut down, so she does know how to use the app.

Your family has had a rough year. You definitely deserve to splurge! I hope your daughter doesn't go snooping and ruin the surprise. My DD was DCP Fall 2020. :(

The 2 bathrooms is one of the main reasons we get a suite. There have been 2 trips where we only had 3 "kids" staying with us (all teens/tweens at the time) and we could have stayed in a standard room at Deluxe resort for about the same amount of money (there are usually one or two options that are cheaper than a suite) but we'd really struggle with one bathroom for the 5 of us. Even with 2 bathrooms there were times that someone was impatiently waiting to use one. We have no problem getting a room that sleeps all of us and only has one bathroom if it's just a one or two night stay, but or a week-long stay...2 bathrooms in required. And the nice thing about the suites is that the main bathroom is split so someone can be taking a shower while someone else is using the sink area. For us, that meant 3 people could be doing "bathroom stuff" at the same time in the morning.

Hi everyone, we are going to have an extra day at the resort without park tickets on our arrival day (arriving late morning). I know we'll be excited to check out the resort and swim, etc., but in your opinion is there enough to do to keep a family busy a whole day? We'll be there in the summer and I'm thinking mid-day at the pool will be super hot and we are pretty sunburn-prone so I'm wondering if there is much to do indoors during the hottest part of the day? Even once our room is ready, we aren't nappers or ones to watch movies in the hotel room. I think we'll likely shop in the gift shop and eat at Landscape of Flavors? I'd rather not go to Disney Springs or anything if we don't have to. Is there still an animation lesson near the lobby? Anything else to do? The arcade is still closed, correct?
IMO unless you want to spend a lottttttt of time swimming, you can not come close to filling a day at the resort

Is this for the month of May?
No-it was last week when we were over there.

The Pool Hours and Mickey Tie Dye times should be the same-I will try to get over there today and see if the Movie schedule has changed.

She was in the college program last year when it shut down, so she does know how to use the app.
Just curious if your daughter has heard anything about when the CP may return.

It is definitely not the same without the fun and energy the CP brings and we have talked to several Cast Members who miss the extra help from the CPers.

And the new Flamingo Crossings housing is amazing.

Hopefully the CP and ICP will be back sooner rather than later!

To us,that is when WDW will FEEL like WDW again!

IMO unless you want to spend a lottttttt of time swimming, you can not come close to filling a day at the resort
If this is your first visit at AoA , the pool and interior lobby and different areas of resort to explore. Then a walk across Generation Gap Bridge to explore POP Century including the lobby displays of unique items from 50s 60 and 70s . Then jump on the SkyLiner to see the view It is fun to see everything with birds eye view. Consider getting off at Epcot to take a boat to the Boardwalk or continue on SkyLiner to eventually depart at the new Riviera Resort to explore . Some of the resorts offer scavenger hunt from lobby castmember. The Riviera had one to explore all the artwork throughout the resort and it is okay to go to the rooftop but feels weird walking through the restaurant ... Each resort has fun music to reflect theming also. Adds to fun of exploring!
Hopefully your room will be ready at a convenient time. It is a good idea to take it easy on arrival day but hard to resist temptation.
Be sure to ask if they are still replaying Happily Ever After Fireworks on Disney Channel Tv in the evening. I think it was Channnel 74 but not certain.
What are your plans for first themepark day? MK?
Have fun!

We are taking my 21 year old daughter and I just switched to a suite at AoA because I need the 2 bathrooms. She takes forever to get ready in the morning. We were booked at Gran Destino and the bathroom setup there was not going to work for us, so I started looking for 2 bathroom options. I have had a rough year -- my dad died in Nov. and I had major emergency surgery on Jan 1 -- so we decided to splurge. We haven't told my daughter yet and I'm thinking it will be a surprise. Unless she looks at MDE and finds it. She was in the college program last year when it shut down, so she does know how to use the app.

Single mom with 2 college age dd's and IMHO the AOA suites are a great value- maybe the best on property! My dd was also in the college program when it shut down in March - considers it the best 39 days of her life so far!

I get some privacy with the "master" and each of my dd's has their own sleeping space. Two bathrooms are ideal as is the larger fridge and microwave. They are late risers so its nice to be able to get ready myself and take my laptop, grab a coffee and a muffin and sit outside to catch up on work before we head out.

Pre covid the food court was great, xx fingers it comes back to what it was with lots of different choices in addition to the typical burgers and chicken.

You can't beat the skyliner access to two parks just steps away at a value price and we have always been happy with the bus service.

Just curious if your daughter has heard anything about when the CP may return.

It is definitely not the same without the fun and energy the CP brings and we have talked to several Cast Members who miss the extra help from the CPers.

And the new Flamingo Crossings housing is amazing.

Hopefully the CP and ICP will be back sooner rather than later!

To us,that is when WDW will FEEL like WDW again!

I'm not the PP you quoted, but my DD was DCP Fall 2020. She hasn't heard anything official from DCP about reinstating the program. She even attended a virtual information session a few weeks ago through her college and they still said they didn't know when the program would be reinstated. Disney did vaguely announce a few weeks ago that they hoped to bring DCP back by the end of this year. The DCP online communities that I'm a part of all seem to think that means they may open applications at the end of 2021/beginning of 2022 with the first session being Summer 2022. But that's all speculation based on the "we're hoping to bring the DCP back by the end of the year" comment.

Last edited:
I'm not the PP you quoted, but my DD was DCP Fall 2020. She hasn't heard anything official from DCP about reinstating the program. She even attended at virtual information session a few weeks ago through her college and they still said they didn't know when the program would be reinstated. Disney did vaguely announce a few weeks ago that they hoped to bring DCP back by the end of this year. The DCP online communities that I'm a part of all seem to think that means they may open applications at the end of 2021/beginning of 2022 with the first session being Summer 2022. But that's all speculation based on the "we're hoping to bring the DCP back by the end of the year" comment.

I'm sure it's a tough decision because they need more cast members at Disney. However, people live together in close quarters in the program (like dorms), and so the virus would quickly spread in that environment without vaccination. The last thing they need are all the cast members getting sick. That wouldn't look good on Disney at their health & safety protocols during the pandemic. Of course, they could open up the program and require vaccination like many colleges are, but, in Florida, they are trying to ban companies from being able to do that. So, I think that leaves Disney in a tough position where they can't have the CP even though they desperately need it to have enough cast members!

I'm sure it's a tough decision because they need more cast members at Disney. However, people live together in close quarters in the program (like dorms), and so the virus would quickly spread in that environment without vaccination. The last thing they need are all the cast members getting sick. That wouldn't look good on Disney at their health & safety protocols during the pandemic. Of course, they could open up the program and require vaccination like many colleges are, but, in Florida, they are trying to ban companies from being able to do that. So, I think that leaves Disney in a tough position where they can't have the CP even though they desperately need it to have enough cast members!

I’m in a DCP parent group and the mood there was that it was a long way off because Disney had to recall all laid off Full and Part time cast members before they could hire anyone else. But just in the last week Disney has started posting job openings for Part time quick service, merch, custodial and lifeguards. Those are traditionally DCP roles, so it looks like they’ve called everyone back (or offered a transfer if someone was in another role) and still have openings. So it may come back sooner rather than later. My daughter is vaccinated and ready to go, but may move down in the fall anyway because all her friends are already in Orlando. Either way, we’re going in June to AoA. We were supposed to go visit her for spring break in March 2020 and this is our 4th rescheduled trip.

My daughter was having serious doubts about doing the program after the pandemic set in simply because of the housing. She was accepted before Covid became widespread and was really looking forward to doing the program. But by May she was considering withdrawing from the program simply because she wasn't comfortable with the living conditions during a pandemic. Thankfully(?) Disney took the decision out of her hands.

My gut feeling is that the DCP will be back by next summer. Once they have all the remaining furloughed/laid off CMs back (which will probably happen very quickly once they have the shows and parades open again), they should pretty much be finished with the recalls/rehires. I would imagine they'll reinstate a lot of the entertainment venues/attractions some time in the next 6 months. With various reports and pictures showing up in the last few weeks, it sure looks like they're gearing up to start fireworks in the next few months (maybe weeks). I think next summer (2022) will be a very busy one for DW as international travelers will probably be back by then as well domestic travelers who aren't comfortable traveling yet this summer, and throw in the ongoing 50th anniversary celebration to boot...it will be crazy. They'll need all the help they can get. JMO.

I’m in a DCP parent group and the mood there was that it was a long way off because Disney had to recall all laid off Full and Part time cast members before they could hire anyone else. But just in the last week Disney has started posting job openings for Part time quick service, merch, custodial and lifeguards. Those are traditionally DCP roles, so it looks like they’ve called everyone back (or offered a transfer if someone was in another role) and still have openings. So it may come back sooner rather than later. My daughter is vaccinated and ready to go, but may move down in the fall anyway because all her friends are already in Orlando. Either way, we’re going in June to AoA. We were supposed to go visit her for spring break in March 2020 and this is our 4th rescheduled trip.
That really looks to be the case-we are seeing the red "Earning My Ears" ribbons EVERYWHERE down here as CMs are being called back and trained in new Roles.

And several CMs have told us they NEED the CP help NOW as they are having to work double-shifts,etc. to cover everything.

I am thinking there will be some sort of firm plan announced by the end of Summer.

If I was eligible,I would sign up just to live in that awesome new housing!lol :)

That really looks to be the case-we are seeing the red "Earning My Ears" ribbons EVERYWHERE down here as CMs are being called back and trained in new Roles.

And several CMs have told us they NEED the CP help NOW as they are having to work double-shifts,etc. to cover everything.

I am thinking there will be some sort of firm plan announced by the end of Summer.

If I was eligible,I would sign up just to live in that awesome new housing!lol :)

Disney just announced today that they are once again taking applications from those DCP participants whose program was ended early or was cancelled. They will be starting the program again in June!!!! I guess I was off by a year!

Disney just announced today that they are once again taking applications from those DCP participants whose program was ended early or was cancelled. They will be starting the program again in June!!!! I guess I was off by a year!
Wow!

This came out of NO WHERE!

I guess the CMs who have been telling us they need the DCP back NOW weren't kidding!

I don't think anyone saw this coming-all the CMs we have been talking to were speculating "late 2021" or "early 2022".

This can only be described as a HUGE,HUGE development!

Makes me wonder what else Disney is going to spring on everyone without any "signs" it is coming!

Maybe POR and All-Star Sports and All-Star Music reopening sooner than expected,maybe Charatcter Meets returning soon,maybe Fantasmic! returning soon,etc.

Who knows!

Wow!

This came out of NO WHERE!

I guess the CMs who have been telling us they need the DCP back NOW weren't kidding!

I don't think anyone saw this coming-all the CMs we have been talking to were speculating "late 2021" or "early 2022".

This can only be described as a HUGE,HUGE development!

Makes me wonder what else Disney is going to spring on everyone without any "signs" it is coming!

Maybe POR and All-Star Sports and All-Star Music reopening sooner than expected,maybe Charatcter Meets returning soon,maybe Fantasmic! returning soon,etc.

Who knows!

I heard some rumblings yesterday but thought they were just rumors where someone had put 2 + 2 together and got 5. I really *never* expected this announcement today. I thought, at best, the rumors would end up being that they would start the application process again at the end of summer with start dates in January. And it looks like these kids aren't really having to go through an interview process (all the recruiters are apparently still furloughed), it's basically an online form where they indicate the dates they're interested in starting/ending. Disney is looking for a 5 month commitment, though.

If this is your first visit at AoA , the pool and interior lobby and different areas of resort to explore. Then a walk across Generation Gap Bridge to explore POP Century including the lobby displays of unique items from 50s 60 and 70s . Then jump on the SkyLiner to see the view It is fun to see everything with birds eye view. Consider getting off at Epcot to take a boat to the Boardwalk or continue on SkyLiner to eventually depart at the new Riviera Resort to explore . Some of the resorts offer scavenger hunt from lobby castmember. The Riviera had one to explore all the artwork throughout the resort and it is okay to go to the rooftop but feels weird walking through the restaurant ... Each resort has fun music to reflect theming also. Adds to fun of exploring!
Hopefully your room will be ready at a convenient time. It is a good idea to take it easy on arrival day but hard to resist temptation.
Be sure to ask if they are still replaying Happily Ever After Fireworks on Disney Channel Tv in the evening. I think it was Channnel 74 but not certain.
What are your plans for first themepark day? MK?
Have fun!
So like I said, you can’t come close to filling the day at AoA lol

I don't think it was totally out of the blue. I did the program in 97 and advanced internship 2000. A month ago Disney College program reps started interacting in the alumni groups and scheduled a virtual bingo night for last Tuesday. At that point it seemed like everyone in recruiting was back. They were excited and ready to get back to work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter