Disney's ART OF ANIMATION RESORT Information & Questions

It really depends on the location of the room within the section/building. For example, the Lion King suites are between approximately 85 and 215 yards from the door of the food court. The Nemo suites are between 50 and 265 yards. The closest room to the food court in Nemo building 4 is about 135 yards from the food court. So...you could get a room in Nemo building 5 that is as close to the food court as you can possibly get. Or you could get a room in Building 4 that's further away than *every* Lion King suite. If you're not concerned about super quick access to a pool, I'd probably go with a LK suite and request "close to transportation" and save the $15-20 a night over the Nemo suite. If you get a LK room that's close to transportation/food court, you'll still only be about a minute away from the pool.
Thank you so very much!

So from what I gather--being in the cars suites--there's isn't really a bad location to stay? What the heck do I do for room requests? I have small kids so maybe upper floor for the noise factor?

We've never stayed there so I guess I don't even know if there's corner rooms or better views

So from what I gather--being in the cars suites--there's isn't really a bad location to stay? What the heck do I do for room requests? I have small kids so maybe upper floor for the noise factor?

We've never stayed there so I guess I don't even know if there's corner rooms or better views
Maybe it would matter to them (as it does to DD, who one time was relieved to be in the Ursula bldg rather than, say, Triton or LM herself) which icon is in front of your building? Cars section has the Wheel Well Motel (building 2, fingers crossed for August, DD!), Tow Mater Towing and Salvage building 1, and Luigi's Casa Della Tires building 3.

It depends on what you/your family defines as "bad location". For our family, the Cars section is the last one we'd choose. Being in building 2 -- depending on the room location -- could be a quarter mile walk one way to the food court and bus stops. For a family (like us) who uses the refillable mugs frequently and makes at least 2 trips to the parks each day using Disney transportation, that would be a BAD location. However, for a family who doesn't use the mugs (or is happy to only fill them once a day) and is planning to use their car to drive to the parks each day, building 2 would be a GREAT location. Personally, if I was staying in the Cars section, I'd definitely request "close to transportation" in hopes of getting a room closer to Animation Hall. All of the rooms are exactly the same so there's no size difference. As far as what floor to request, we've been on the 4th floor of each of the LK buildings and the 1st floor of Nemo building 5 and we didn't really have a problem with noise in any of those locations. When we were on the 1st floor, I was concerned about noise from above us, but I never heard anything. Keep in mind that the elevators are located in the center of each building. That's important if you're on the upper floors and need to use the elevator due to physical limitations or because you have a stroller or ECV. If your room is located at the end of the building closest to Animation Hall (in any section), you will have to walk past your room location on the ground floor, use the elevator, and then walk *back* to your actual room on the appropriate floor. It can feel like a lot of extra walking after a long day in the parks. As for views, I'd probably request a courtyard/pool view. Your other options are parking lot view or a view of the lake where there will be a lot of construction going on as they start work on the gondola station. Though if your kids like construction, that view might be awesome for them.

I will say that Cars is my favorite themed area of the resort. Especially at night. That's the main reason I'd request a courtyard/pool view -- so I could look out of my window every night and just soak it in. Good luck with your decision!

It depends on what you/your family defines as "bad location". For our family, the Cars section is the last one we'd choose. Being in building 2 -- depending on the room location -- could be a quarter mile walk one way to the food court and bus stops. For a family (like us) who uses the refillable mugs frequently and makes at least 2 trips to the parks each day using Disney transportation, that would be a BAD location. However, for a family who doesn't use the mugs (or is happy to only fill them once a day) and is planning to use their car to drive to the parks each day, building 2 would be a GREAT location. Personally, if I was staying in the Cars section, I'd definitely request "close to transportation" in hopes of getting a room closer to Animation Hall. All of the rooms are exactly the same so there's no size difference. As far as what floor to request, we've been on the 4th floor of each of the LK buildings and the 1st floor of Nemo building 5 and we didn't really have a problem with noise in any of those locations. When we were on the 1st floor, I was concerned about noise from above us, but I never heard anything. Keep in mind that the elevators are located in the center of each building. That's important if you're on the upper floors and need to use the elevator due to physical limitations or because you have a stroller or ECV. If your room is located at the end of the building closest to Animation Hall (in any section), you will have to walk past your room location on the ground floor, use the elevator, and then walk *back* to your actual room on the appropriate floor. It can feel like a lot of extra walking after a long day in the parks. As for views, I'd probably request a courtyard/pool view. Your other options are parking lot view or a view of the lake where there will be a lot of construction going on as they start work on the gondola station. Though if your kids like construction, that view might be awesome for them.

I will say that Cars is my favorite themed area of the resort. Especially at night. That's the main reason I'd request a courtyard/pool view -- so I could look out of my window every night and just soak it in. Good luck with your decision!
Thanks that helps! We don't mind walking as we usually stay at Carribean Beach or POR where there seems to be a decent amount of walking, and have little boys who are Cars fanatics..so distance doesn't bother me. That answered it for me though, I'll request for the courtyard/pool view and see what kind of luck we have :)

Can someone compare AoA to a chain hotel? Is AoA comparable to say, a Best Western? Or Motel 8?

I am trying to plan our stay and I am just drawn to the theming and character rooms here! My daughter would love the Little Mermaid rooms! I have heard that the beds are uncomfortable. I don't want to be disappointed in our trip. We would split our stay with the Poly likely. Thoughts?
We stayed in LM our last 2 trips. The rooms are very small but nicely decorated. The LM rooms are quite a hike from the main building/bus stops. Either we were exhausted or the beds were comfortable because he had no complaints.

We've stayed in both Lion King and Nemo suites and I like them both. The Lion King area tends to be quiet because there is no pool there -- but it's a quick walk to the Nemo pool or the Little Mermaid pool. Both of our stays in the LK suites were at the end of the building closest to Animation Hall so it was a very convenient location -- quick walk to Landscape of Flavors as well as the bus stops. We also enjoyed our stay in the Nemo suite. We were in building 5 in the "wing" that juts out towards the LK area. We were on the first floor so it was a great location -- very close to the pool (yet not facing it so we didn't have to worry about any noise), Landscape of Flavors, and the bus stops. It was also a convenient location for walking over to Pop Century or taking a bus back to Pop Century and walking back to AoA. My only complaint about the Nemo building (other than it was desperately in need of new carpeting and "sprucing up" in the hallways -- the room was fine) was that it was a loooong walk to our car in the parking lot (we were spoiled by our previous stays in LK where we parked a few spots away from the door of our building). Fortunately, we don't really use our car while we're there, but I did have to walk out to the car for something twice during the week and it was a hike. So...my advice would be that if you plan to drive to the parks, get a suite in Lion King building 10. If you're using Disney transportation, Nemo or Lion King will be great -- go with the one that fits your budget or the theme you like better.

Thanks for the reply. We are between LK and Nemo. Preferred the short walk and quiet. Not sure about flying or driving yet either. I also have read in some places that Cell coverage is poor to non existent here. We have AT&T. How was cell coverage during your visit?

Thanks for the reply. We are between LK and Nemo. Preferred the short walk and quiet. Not sure about flying or driving yet either. I also have read in some places that Cell coverage is poor to non existent here. We have AT&T. How was cell coverage during your visit?

My husband and one (adult) son have AT&T and they had no problem with coverage during any of our stays at AoA. Two of the kids and I have T-Mobile. I don't remember having any issues either. I will mention that during earlier stays at Pop Century (2009-11) my husband and I both had AT&T but we had different phones. He had no problem with coverage but I had to be standing right at the window in our rooms (at different locations in the resort each trip) to get even 2 bars. He could be in the bathroom and have full bars. So I think the phone also contributes to the coverage/availability.

Some people ask for upgrades but they usually charge you for them. And rarely is it discounted. Sometimes they will move Little Mermaid people into suites but it's more rare as the resort itself is often booked up.
This didn't even occur to me but it seems like it could be cheaper to do this than book the suite in the first place? I know it is subject to availability but if you're content with a Mermaid room but are willing to pay $75 per night extra (I read this figure somewhere in this thread if accurate) to upgrade, it's a thought. Has anyone done this recently?

This didn't even occur to me but it seems like it could be cheaper to do this than book the suite in the first place? I know it is subject to availability but if you're content with a Mermaid room but are willing to pay $75 per night extra (I read this figure somewhere in this thread if accurate) to upgrade, it's a thought. Has anyone done this recently?

I don't think many people get upgrades at AoA. There's a huge price difference ($200-250/night) between a LM room and a suite. I've heard of a few (rare) people getting a free upgrade (most likely due to LM rooms being overbooked) but they didn't ask for it -- Disney offered it. And I've heard of people asking to upgrade to a suite but paying the difference in price. I've only seen that one post where someone was able to upgrade for $75 and it wasn't something they asked for....Disney offered it at check-in. I'm guessing the resort was close to being overbooked at LM at that time and rather than get to the point where they *had* to give free upgrades, they were offering a discounted upgrade to see if they could clear out enough rooms in LM to fulfill bookings. The person who reported it was also only staying one night, so that may have contributed to the offer as well. If they offered this on a regular basis, everyone would be trying to do it. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask about a $75 upgrade at check-in, but I think the chances of it happening are slim to none.

Do any Disney pros have some best guesses of how the gondola construction will affect this resort? I'm not sure of the placement of the gondola station at AoA. Once they start building it, will it affect anything? Will the construction be very visible?

Do any Disney pros have some best guesses of how the gondola construction will affect this resort? I'm not sure of the placement of the gondola station at AoA. Once they start building it, will it affect anything? Will the construction be very visible?
The station is going to be at the generation gap bridge between pop and AOA. Not sure how much that will effect the use of the bridge yet.

The station is going to be at the generation gap bridge between pop and AOA. Not sure how much that will effect the use of the bridge yet.

I've never been to AoA or Pop. The bridge isn't the only path between the two resorts is it?

I don't think many people get upgrades at AoA. There's a huge price difference ($200-250/night) between a LM room and a suite. I've heard of a few (rare) people getting a free upgrade (most likely due to LM rooms being overbooked) but they didn't ask for it -- Disney offered it. And I've heard of people asking to upgrade to a suite but paying the difference in price. I've only seen that one post where someone was able to upgrade for $75 and it wasn't something they asked for....Disney offered it at check-in. I'm guessing the resort was close to being overbooked at LM at that time and rather than get to the point where they *had* to give free upgrades, they were offering a discounted upgrade to see if they could clear out enough rooms in LM to fulfill bookings. The person who reported it was also only staying one night, so that may have contributed to the offer as well. If they offered this on a regular basis, everyone would be trying to do it. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask about a $75 upgrade at check-in, but I think the chances of it happening are slim to none.

This makes so much sense, thank you. It seemed much too good to be true to think you could possibly upgrade at check-in for a very low per night price. Since we're going President's week and for 6 nights, I am definitely not expecting this.

The Gondola Station will be "halfway" down Generation Gap Bridge on the "Little Mermaid/1950s side" of the bridge.

The Station will be built out in the water and "attached" to the bridge.

I would think that at some point the bridge will have to be closed for a substantial amount of time.

Construction will be very visible as it will be RIGHT there in the Lake and in a portion of the 1950s/Little Mermaid parking lot.:)

They have already closed part of the 1950s parking lot and also have "marked off" where the Gondola system will enter Hourglass Lake.
35950584666_c414ab53ee_z.jpg

35821413942_37d8bb2454_z.jpg

Last edited:
*peeks in this very long thread*

So, my husband and I booked an adults only trip for this fall. After showing him the standard rooms at Pop, the All Stars, and AoA, he chose the Little Mermaid rooms, hands down. We both agreed that the suites were awesome, but didn't book those because it seemed like too much room for just two people (but if we more people staying with us, we would have booked a suite in a heartbeat). I'm looking so forward to staying here!

The Gondola Station will be "halfway" down Generation Gap Bridge on the "Little Mermaid/1950s side" of the bridge.

The Station will be built out in the water and "attached" to the bridge.

I would think that at some point the bridge will have to be closed for a substantial amount of time.

Construction will be very visible as it will be RIGHT there in the Lake and in a portion of the 1950s/Little Mermaid parking lot.:)

They have already closed part of the 1950s parking lot and also have "marked off" where the Gondola system will enter Hourglass Lake.
wow! Any idea when they are supposed to be completed?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter