• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's ALL-STAR SPORTS RESORT Information & Questions

We stayed this week. We stayed 2 days at Animal kingdom Lodge on DVC points and 3 night at All star sports in Center Court building. The rooms were the old rooms, but the bed was more comfortable than Animal Kingdom Lodge’s bed. I had them deliver me a box fan because I sleep hot and like a fan blowing on me. I had to sit it on the ironing board to find a plug to use. I never heard any construction noise, but had to drive past it to get to the back of the resort in my car. I didn’t notice any work being done to the lobby, just surfs up buildings. All the trucks and shipping containers were parked between buildings 8 and 5.
Are you saying there are no fans in the rooms?

I've been reading that some resorts have massage chairs in the arcade room. Does all the all star sports have one? If so how much?

I think this is correct, but just making sure - if I book a Preferred Room at Sports for a trip in a few weeks, it's sure to be a refurbished room? Touchdown is complete and Surf's Up is entirely closed for refurb right now?

I think this is correct, but just making sure - if I book a Preferred Room at Sports for a trip in a few weeks, it's sure to be a refurbished room? Touchdown is complete and Surf's Up is entirely closed for refurb right now?
When we were at Sports 3 weeks ago,this was the Refurb status:

Touchdown!/Building 1O Refurbed and Open to Guests

Touchdown!/Building 7 Closed for Refurb

All of Home Run Hotel Closed for Refurb

All of Surf's Up!,Center Court and Hoops Hotel open and not refurbished

Touchdown!/Building 7 looked really close to completion so it could be open by now.

Looking for some advice... We normally stay at POP, and are planning an All Star trip for December. Which all star resort would you recommend for someone with a scooter, that would be using the Disney busses? TIA!

When we were at Sports 3 weeks ago,this was the Refurb status:

Touchdown!/Building 1O Refurbed and Open to Guests

Touchdown!/Building 7 Closed for Refurb

All of Home Run Hotel Closed for Refurb

All of Surf's Up!,Center Court and Hoops Hotel open and not refurbished

Touchdown!/Building 7 looked really close to completion so it could be open by now.
We just got back yesterday and I think no update from this. One cm who seemed to know, said surfs up (preferred) hasn’t been started yet. We stayed at Center Court 5, un-refurbished. Many cms seemed confused as to which buildings were finished other than 10 and what was being worked on.

First cm at check in slipped and said there were surfs up rooms available then, when we requested a closer to food court standard, he went back into the employees only room to be coached as to what to say. He came back and said there’s only one room left in the entire complex and it’s this one on top floor Center Court. Wasn’t pleased with that.

Anyone know what the current designs are on the refillable mugs?
I didn't take a photo but this time there are only 2 options a blue 50th anniversary and turquoise 50th, thin blue lids, Mickey shaped flap. I like the turquoise one better... it has a collage of the properties with M&M on it. We bought the blue one... a less busy collage, but I can't even think of what's on there. If I remember I can take a photo at home.

They changed the end dates. Ours is good through early Oct., maybe they got tired of extending mugs for guests such as the UK folks who stay a few weeks.

I didn't take a photo but this time there are only 2 options a blue 50th anniversary and turquoise 50th, thin blue lids, Mickey shaped flap. I like the turquoise one better... it has a collage of the properties with M&M on it. We bought the blue one... a less busy collage, but I can't even think of what's on there. If I remember I can take a photo at home.

They changed the end dates. Ours is good through early Oct., maybe they got tired of extending mugs for guests such as the UK folks who stay a few weeks.
Thank you😁

I'm 6'1''+ and managed the double beds in the un-refurbished rooms ok. You have to remember to ask for new sheets. They originally told us that it would be day 5, but no one did through day 7. They only take out trash and restock towels about every other day. Few times it was 2 days in a row, once, it went 3 days without towels, and we had to ask on a few occasions for wash cloths.

It could be helpful to glance at a resort map and calculate the most direct path to buses/food court. From Center Court, we cut through the side of building 6 and probably had as short of a walk as many of the non pool view preferred.

The lobby refurb is a non issue. The check in area is walled off, not an eye sore, and the concierge half, to the left when viewing the desk, is open and serves both functions.

I wondered if QS order outside of Mobile Order was going to be more available and it was, not just at Sports, but every QS location in the parks. And unlike our May stay, several lanes were open. Columbia Harbour was the only one with 1 long line for in person ordering, and we mobile ordered while there. We initially mobile ordered 1st night at Pinnochio's, while on ISWA, and waited 40 min after saying we're here, and missed Enchantment (late dinner time too). We checked with staff a few times and they just said they were too busy to fill orders timely. After that incident, we only did the in person orders. There are 2 microwaves and 2 toasters. At lunch time the microwaves can be a challenge at times with people heating various 5 min. ramens and mac and cheese type stuff from home. They have PB, jams, honey, tea bags, hot choc packets, croutons, parm. cheese, hot sauce. Can definitely bring bagels, muffins, or cup soups/microwaveable foods if you wanted to.

Buses were good overall. Disney+ day, our bus to EP showed up about 30 min later than expected, but we barely got there before they let us in at about 7:15 for an 8am open (held until 7:30). For the most part the 1st AK buses have been showing up around 6:20-6:35. Most days we got out there at either 6:30ish or 7ish for 1st bus for RD. We didn't have to share buses with Music and Movies in the am at all, despite several early buses being barely occupied. Only a couple of shared buses for return trip, but Sports is first to drop off. We went on a Movies bus once after waiting a while, but the driver saw that we jumped from the Sports line, and dropped us at Sports 1st. Taking buses to and from TL is tedious, since they made the switch to have you get off and transfer at DS both ways (unless you go to TL before 10am). We clocked the trip from TL to Contemporary, walk to MK at 55 min., despite quick buses at both TL and DS. We ubered both times from AK to TL. Took skyliner between HS and EP. Monorail between EP and MK was down one day and we had to take the bus.

1st Mears Connect experience was mixed. We arrived like 4am at MCO, and instead of a short wait for a comfy napping bus, the retired ones from ME... they had mears cars and vans. Could be because it was an early pickup with less guests. We waited a very long time for a van, and had to load our bags ourselves into the back of a tall van. Several cars had come and took guests arriving later since they could fit. Our driver simply opened the door and left to go talk to other drivers for 10 min. I was expecting to have to call for a bus on return trip, but we did get the email time, texted gps when in route, and we got the bus we originally expected. It was a little late and we made stops at Music and Movies, but got to MCO with enough time (filght delayed).

Partly being early Sept., the heavy rain most days, we only bought G+ 2x for 8 days. I planned 5 days. Party days at MK were great for 1st park with very low waits.

Looking for some advice... We normally stay at POP, and are planning an All Star trip for December. Which all star resort would you recommend for someone with a scooter, that would be using the Disney busses? TIA!
Unless you're planning on going to Disney Springs a lot, all of them should be equally easy of access. The All-Stars get a rep of sharing buses a lot, but in reality they only share consistently for DS, or sometimes for AK, Epcot or DHS in the middle of the day when there's hardly anyone on the buses anyway. They never share for MK (even midday) in our experience. Peak times they will each get their own bus to each of the parks. Honestly, we had more bus sharing at Deluxes.

That being said, the Sports is the first to load and first to unload when they do share.

The other mug was turquoise, and was more appealing to me, but looked nearly identical to the May turquoise 50th mug with skyliner, some resorts w/ yellow lid instead of blue. I think that's why we got this blue one. Lately, we just split a mug since we're only at the resort late at night or if rain becomes torrential for a long period. We brought a ton of Gatorade in a "foods" suitcase that we didn't finish.

Do they know when the renovations should be done here?
No one has a good idea other than project mgr's, general contractor, and disney managers with whom we don't have access to. I asked 4 CMs. 2 of them knew that building 10 Touchdown was finished, 1 I had to remind her, the other had to ask another CM. Only 1 knew for sure that Surfs Up hadn't been started yet. These CM's aren't anxious to be updated on the project status. The one who seemed to be most apprised knew that I planned on coming back around April/May... she said "hopefully the refurb is done by then."

It's been several months since Disney announced reopening of Sports after the shutdown, and start of refurb, and we're what? Done with buildings 10 and 7? 1 section of 4. We can probably scroll back at the timing in this thread and multiply by 3 remaining sections, and that gives you a rough idea of how much longer until it's completely done.

If we had a later than 5 am check in, maybe one of the refurbished rooms would have been available. But we were just glad for the early check in and 1 hr. nap before heading out for the AK bus (yes, we're crazy). We're considering possibly not renewing our APs that expire early Nov., and maybe coming for a wknd trip in Oct/Nov. Maybe another section is done this Fall and we have a decent shot at a refurb. room. I guess not if they tell me there's only 1 room available again - because we want you located at this room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter