Disney's ALL-STAR SPORTS RESORT Information & Questions

Thanks! we have gotten used to sitting by the pool(not outside the food court) at a table with our newspaper, crosswords, etc. we like to lie in the loungers for a bit in the sun, then get some shade at the table. (that's also our biggest complaint about the french quarter pool. lack of tables.)
if you choose a lounger under an umbrella you never get any sun. we also like to sit at a pool table in the early evening with a cocktail and a game of yahtzee. (we folks in our 60's sure know how to rock an evening! lol)
We pack Scrabble. And we are in our 50's

We just aren't commando type people anymore.

Edit to correct a typo. :-)

Last edited:
Thanks! we have gotten used to sitting by the pool(not outside the food court) at a table with our newspaper, crosswords, etc. we like to lie in the loungers for a bit in the sun, then get some shade at the table. (that's also our biggest complaint about the french quarter pool. lack of tables.)
if you choose a lounger under an umbrella you never get any sun. we also like to sit at a pool table in the early evening with a cocktail and a game of yahtzee. (we folks in our 60's sure know how to rick an evening! lol)
Hey Yahtzee can be vicious, give yourselves more credit.

Kate

We pack Scrabble. And we are in our 50's

We just aren't commando type people anymore.

Hey Yahtzee can be vicious, give yourselves more credit.

Kate

oh no! you guys quoted my typo! lol "rocks" not "ricks" tee hee hubby and I are very competitive when it comes to both Yahtzee and scrabble! we have NO mercy on each other!

(as a matter of fact I was just playing parcheesi with the grandkids today and knocking them off like crazy! they know grandma never lets them win lol although I do advise them on their turns)

if you choose a lounger under an umbrella you never get any sun. we also like to sit at a pool table in the early evening with a cocktail and a game of yahtzee. (we folks in our 60's sure know how to rock an evening! lol)

One reason I don't like the POFQ pool is the expanse of concrete and no shade. I HAVE to have shade!

Can someone check me on this? We're staying on the free dining promotion, and ended up with All star sports preferred. I'm doing the online check-in / request portion, and it has the option of Touchdown for a room preference. I thought Surf's Up was the only preferred building?

Can someone check me on this? We're staying on the free dining promotion, and ended up with All star sports preferred. I'm doing the online check-in / request portion, and it has the option of Touchdown for a room preference. I thought Surf's Up was the only preferred building?
unfortunately, that is correct. I think it's just from the middle of touchdown toward the food court (that from the middle back towards the homerun pool is still standard) someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
disney keeps making more and more value rooms preferred. example: at Movies I believe the onlystandard rooms are in love bug or the hockey section with the quiet pool (danged if I can remember the name offhand)
I dislike the touchdown area because it is so loud. the rubbery field area between the 2 bldgs just begs for people to play ball in it.. which they have a right to and they really have a lot of fun.. but it's so noisy if you have a room facing it.

unfortunately, that is correct. I think it's just from the middle of touchdown toward the food court (that from the middle back towards the homerun pool is still standard) someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
disney keeps making more and more value rooms preferred. example: at Movies I believe the onlystandard rooms are in love bug or the hockey section with the quiet pool (danged if I can remember the name offhand)
I dislike the touchdown area because it is so loud. the rubbery field area between the 2 bldgs just begs for people to play ball in it.. which they have a right to and they really have a lot of fun.. but it's so noisy if you have a room facing it.
Thanks for the reply. Is there a reason you'd prefer Surf's Up as a building preference (other than the cons of Touchdown)? I assumed that since the pool near Surf's Up is so large, that would be the loud area.

I just think surf's up is prettier. and the pool area is not as loud as the "athletic "field" in the middle of the 2 touchdown bldgs. (now had we stayrd at SPORTS when mygrown sons were boys, I would have opted for the touchdown area. they would ahve loved it)

Thanks for the reply. Is there a reason you'd prefer Surf's Up as a building preference (other than the cons of Touchdown)? I assumed that since the pool near Surf's Up is so large, that would be the loud area.
We stayed preferred last month in Surfs Up and faced the pool. It was LOUD, very loud every night until 11 pm. I liked the building, but I wished we had been on one of the sides away from the pool.

ALL of Touchdown! is now Preferred.
M
ugh!! I was afraid of that hubby will be in a wheel chair in the parks. but can walk if it's not too far at the resorts. would like some independance. Iand I can't picture trying to push a wheel chair on that foamy rubbery surface (so long way around)... here's really praying for ground floor, surfs up..
as I said earlier, disney is making more and more rooms "preferred" at the value resorts.
thanks so much for letting us know!

We stayed preferred last month in Surfs Up and faced the pool. It was LOUD, very loud every night until 11 pm. I liked the building, but I wished we had been on one of the sides away from the pool.

that would be July? I'm guessing there were tour groups, since it was july. that is th esouth american tour group month.. all bets are off in july. curious.. how was the food court? (we wnet onlyonce in july, cause the restaurnat where I worked closed for the entire month,, stayed 2 nights at sports 5 nights renting dvc oints at beach club.. sports was awful that weekend

that would be July? I'm guessing there were tour groups, since it was july. that is th esouth american tour group month.. all bets are off in july. curious.. how was the food court? (we wnet onlyonce in july, cause the restaurnat where I worked closed for the entire month,, stayed 2 nights at sports 5 nights renting dvc oints at beach club.. sports was awful that weekend
Yes it was middle of July and there were a lot of tour groups so maybe it's not as noisy at other times of the year. The food court wasn't too crowded early in the morning, but late at night it was super busy.

Yes it was middle of July and there were a lot of tour groups so maybe it's not as noisy at other times of the year. The food court wasn't too crowded early in the morning, but late at night it was super busy.

july and january are south american tour group months. but anytime of year all star sports hosts many teens and tour groups competing at wide world of sports. so I guess we take our chances. hope you had fun anyway!

Last edited:
july and january are south american tour group months. but anytime of year all star sports hosts many teens and tour groups competitng at wid world of aports. so I guess we take our chances. hope you had fun anyway!
We always have fun, I don't think any amount of loud tour groups could ruin Disney for me!! :D

M
ugh!! I was afraid of that hubby will be in a wheel chair in the parks. but can walk if it's not too far at the resorts. would like some independance. Iand I can't picture trying to push a wheel chair on that foamy rubbery surface (so long way around)... here's really praying for ground floor, surfs up..
as I said earlier, disney is making more and more rooms "preferred" at the value resorts.

you can use the sidewalk and not walk on the football field.

i like the touchdown sections.
the building on the right side of the football field, request the backside.
all lush greenery and very quiet.
I usually request that section first floor and have never had a noise issue.

you can use the sidewalk and not walk on the football field.

i like the touchdown sections.
the building on the right side of the football field, request the backside.
all lush greenery and very quiet.
I usually request that section first floor and have never had a noise issue.

yeah, i know. you just can't cut across "as the crow flies" my husband likes to be independant at the resort (not relying on me and the "chair") and between his vision and balance issues. we'd be better off in surfs up. man I hate that we sound so "needy" lol

but actually, we have thought that the back side of touchdown wouldn't be bad.. funny how your needs change. sometimes we have gotten rooms we thought wouldn't be god and turned out great. other times...we got jsut what we asked for and wished we hadn't! lol
I honestly can't believe how lucky we have gotten with room requests, both through disney and renting DVC through our friends. (uh oh.. I guess we are due for a "bad room".)
my advice to anyone? when they say you are in room "so and so" just.. VERY NICELY ask.. "well, what else ya got?" doesn
t hurt to ask nicely.. and be willing to wait for the room. they want to fill the rooms that are ready first. I am always willing to hang by the pool for a few hours to wait for a better room for a week or more.

Last edited:
M

We came to the same conclusion. It's my first year renting an ECV for my back that doesn't like to walk. Our room request is for ground floor surfs up. Really hoping we get it.

Kate

The "back side" of Touchdown!/Building 10 provides a very quick direct route to the Bus Stops without going through Stadium Hall.

A few of these rooms are literally under one minute from the Bus Stops.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter