• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's All-Star Music Resort Review

Alex Coleman

Mouseketeer

This is a comprehensive review of Disney’s All-Star Music Resort. I will give my thoughts about the resort itself and I will review the room. I will also give some recommendations for those who may want to stay at the resort and some suggestions to make your stay better.

Sarah and I stayed here during Sarah’s Birthday trip. This is the first time that we had ever stayed at one of the Disney’s All-Star resorts, so I was curious. Sarah was more worried about having the best birthday weekend ever. Marriage, am I right :)?

Resort
First, some overall thoughts about the resort. As I have stated before, I think that all WDW experiences have to be taken with a grain of salt. The expectations of this resort need to be exactly what their name designates: value. These are not the Ritz Carlton. You will be sorely disappointed if those are your expectations.

But let’s get into the positives. First, the price. Guests who choose this resort are looking at hotels in the category because they are more affordable. I have stayed at resorts across the country and few resorts are this well priced. These resorts aren’t even attached to one of the largest and most popular theme parks in the world!

Next, while we were staying at the resort, each All-Star Resort had their own buses. My understanding is that is not normally the case. Just a wild guess, I would imagine they share during lighter crowd times, and have their own while the resorts are expected to be busier. This shared bus issue can make a world of difference. It can be the difference between a 20-30-minute bus journey, or an hour. If all three resorts are sharing buses, I would move transportation into the negative column.

The next positive is the facade and lobby theming. I know that theming can be highly subjective, but I think there are fun details. The facade looks great at night and the larger than life pictures on the walls of the lobby gives you the feeling of rock history (even if Taylor Swift is one of the pictures :)). I also think this theming extends well to the pool areas. The Calypso Pool area is really fun and I like the Three Caballeros statues in the center. The Piano Pool is also great. It is quieter and actually shaped like a piano! Sarah also wanted to make sure I mentioned that Ariel has a statue at the Piano Pool. A cannot miss for us (her). I also like the icons that are spread throughout the resort. We took a lot of pictures of them!

I also think that the Intermissions Food Court is a positive here. It is an above-average food court with some really good options. There was a full ice cream and smoothie bar, convenience-style grocery area, grill, pizza area, and outside bar. Sarah and I both enjoyed the s’more tart that we tried!

Now time to talk about some negatives of the resort. First, I don’t quite understand what the designers were planning with the sidewalks of the resort. We were staying in the Broadway section and it felt like we had to go awfully far out of the way to get to our room. Sarah and I were in commando mode, so this extra walking was unwelcome. We found ourselves walking down one sidewalk when it would inexplicably would end. We tried to walk to the Broadway section without walking through the center of the resort and we ended up bushwhacking through thick grass because we could not find a sidewalk.

I also recognize here that the theming can be kitschy to those not looking for 30-foot cowboy boots outside of their room. As it is with everything in life, it is a matter of preference. I don’t mind them because I think they are interesting, my parents would likely not.

Rooms
It is important to start this section of the review off by stating that these rooms, once again, are value. They are Motel 6ish because they cost what most Motel 6’s would cost. These resorts are for people who want to get the most “bang for their buck” or people who will be spending almost all their times in the parks (Sarah and I).

I thought the rooms had some positives. They were well-lit and I also had no problem with the furniture. The bed frame, entertainment center, and table were nice and even had a little not-so-hidden-Mickey in them. There was also an unexpected and unique little wall fixture where we could hang our sopping wet clothes. Details matter!

Now come the negatives. I know what you are going to say. This is a long list. But, remember, expectations! These aren’t bad resorts, they are just inexpensive. First, these rooms are small and lightly themed. If you are looking for amazing, over-the-top Disney theming, splurge a bit and go to Disney’s Art of Animation.

There were also a couple of room construction elements that seemed odd or not up to Disney standards. First, all the electrical outlets in the room were upside down. That isn’t a big deal, but it was odd to me. I also noticed the carpets were ripped. This seems like an occupational hazard for a kid-friendly resort, but it was strange to see. There were a few details missing from our room. We were trying to take a nap, but the Do Not Disturb sign was not present and there was no pamphlet explaining the hours of the food court or pools. I do not remember whether this was in our other Disney resort rooms, but I feel like it should be.

The beds were another point of contention for us. I did not expect a TempurPedic bed, but the issue was far beyond the comfort level of the bed. This sounds strange, but the beds were both different firmness levels. I had to have Sarah try them out several times to make sure I wasn’t crazy. I wasn’t. They were different! Their pillows were also not very high quality. Hot tip: if you like to use a lot of pillows (like me) request more. They were incredibly weak.

The bathroom is another area where you can thank good expectations for your happiness level. It is a perfectly functioning bathroom space. All the essentials are there: sink and vanity, toilet, and shower. But nothing in the bathroom will blow you away. The vanity is small. The light made a really loud noise when I turned it on. The tile looked like it could have used a cleaning. The water pressure in the shower was below-average. Overall, the room is small and basic. You can definitely enjoy staying here. But, you will not be knocked off your feet by the opulence of the room.

Should I Stay Here?
As I stated before, if you are looking to save money on your room or not see it very often, this resort can meet your needs. As with all the Value resorts, ASM has kitschy theming. Some love it, some hate it, but most are so focused on the parks that they ignore it completely. To each their own! The transportation can make ASM a win or lose; if it is operating on the same bus trip as the other All-Star Resorts, it makes it a difficult resort to justify for hardcore park tourists. The rooms are also very basic, if you are looking to spend a great deal of time in the room, I would avoid this resort.

As a result of this, I would recommend ASM for the following people:

• People whose budget is their chief concern.
  • Families who would appreciate the music, theming, or plan to spend time at a pretty good pool.
  • Park tourists coming at a busier time.
Another wrench in this resort’s works are the Pop Century and Art of Animation resorts. PC is undergoing a room refurbishment that looks incredible. AoA is the newest resort on property and has much more appeal to hardcore Disney animation fans. Hardcore fans like Sarah! Both of these resorts have dedicated bus service year-round and slightly more developed food options. If you are able, I would recommend upgrading to AoA or PC.

Tips
First, I would recommend splurging on a preferred room. This can be about $30 extra?? per night. If you able, that will get you much closer to the main building. If you cannot splurge, you can always ask for the Jazz Inn area when you complete your check-in. This is not something you can ask for in online check-in, so you will have to call. It didn’t work for us, but maybe it will for you! Lastly, take a walk while the resort is quiet. I walked around in the early morning as the sun was rising and it was really peaceful. I also got some great shots of the icons.

Have you stayed at Disney’s All-Star Music Resort? Share your experience! We would love to hear from you! Just add to the Comments section below.

It was really weird that it was served on that plate. At first, I didn't notice it. But it threw me off when I noticed it!

Regardless of the plate, it was delicious!

My wife and I have stayed here every year, twice in '13, since 2009. We love this place, mostly for the staff. They have always gone the extra mile to make us feel at home. Check out the photo attached. That is me with the girls from the gift shop. We email eachother and we have celebrated birthdays and wedding anniversaries. As a matter of fact, I will be back in exactly 5 days. You were so right. THis is not the Ritz and if you EXPECT certain things you will be sorely dissapointed. I go the WDW for the parks and the hotel room is where I go to sleep. All I ask is for a comfortable bed and a clean room and I have always found that at Music.

It was really weird that it was served on that plate. At first, I didn't notice it. But it threw me off when I noticed it!

Regardless of the plate, it was delicious!
I want one for breakfast. Right now. :) I hope they really do have them in Disneyland since I'll be there in 3 weeks!

My wife and I have stayed here every year, twice in '13, since 2009. We love this place, mostly for the staff. They have always gone the extra mile to make us feel at home. Check out the photo attached. That is me with the girls from the gift shop. We email eachother and we have celebrated birthdays and wedding anniversaries. As a matter of fact, I will be back in exactly 5 days. You were so right. THis is not the Ritz and if you EXPECT certain things you will be sorely dissapointed. I go the WDW for the parks and the hotel room is where I go to sleep. All I ask is for a comfortable bed and a clean room and I have always found that at Music.

That is really awesome! I am always impressed by the level of customer service at any WDW property.

So fun to have such a close connection with one resort! We like the resort because it is a good place to lay our heads. If we went in wanting to be draped in luxury, we would be sorely disappointed. We always talk about expectations and this resort is the best model of expectations changing an experience.

I've been to WDW many times, but All Star Music in a couple weeks will be the first time we've stayed on property. In the past we've stayed in a friend's guest room or the cheapest hotels outside the gate and have always been satisfied, but every vacation since our honeymoon cruise ten years ago has been camping so my expectations are low. I expect the rooms to be similar to the $69 one I booked in route. We'll be driving so bringing the folding cot that fits between two beds to form rails for our daughter, a memory foam topper for the most comfortable double bed for us, hanging shelves to convert closet space to more drawers, a pinless bungee clothesline to stretch over the tub for drying clothes, a low-watt hot plate to replace the coffee maker, and a folding wagon to pull a sleeping child from the parking lot (we requested a lot-facing room). I chose this hotel because it was the cheapest way to get both free dining (upgraded for what I would have paid for Cinderella's Royal Table which is now included) and earlier reservation windows than off-site guests which made it easy to get every single Fastpass+ and dining reservation including Akershus, BOG twice, and date night at 'Ohana while daughter is at Lilo's Playhouse. I don't believe I could have coordinated Princess Day with my daughter's makeover at Bippity Boppity Boutique, lunch at BOG, and dinner at CRT with Fastpasses for Princess meets in between had we stayed off site which was the alternative given our $3,000 budget for the week.

I've been to WDW many times, but All Star Music in a couple weeks will be the first time we've stayed on property. In the past we've stayed in a friend's guest room or the cheapest hotels outside the gate and have always been satisfied, but every vacation since our honeymoon cruise ten years ago has been camping so my expectations are low. I expect the rooms to be similar to the $69 one I booked in route. We'll be driving so bringing the folding cot that fits between two beds to form rails for our daughter, a memory foam topper for the most comfortable double bed for us, hanging shelves to convert closet space to more drawers, a pinless bungee clothesline to stretch over the tub for drying clothes, a low-watt hot plate to replace the coffee maker, and a folding wagon to pull a sleeping child from the parking lot (we requested a lot-facing room). I chose this hotel because it was the cheapest way to get both free dining (upgraded for what I would have paid for Cinderella's Royal Table which is now included) and earlier reservation windows than off-site guests which made it easy to get every single Fastpass+ and dining reservation including Akershus, BOG twice, and date night at 'Ohana while daughter is at Lilo's Playhouse. I don't believe I could have coordinated Princess Day with my daughter's makeover at Bippity Boppity Boutique, lunch at BOG, and dinner at CRT with Fastpasses for Princess meets in between had we stayed off site which was the alternative given our $3,000 budget for the week.

I think your expectations will lead to you being very happy with the property. I think you will love being connected to the Disney Transportation System and the hotel room should fit your needs very nicely.

You also sound like you are so prepared! That is a great collection of things to bring!

So I've stayed at every value but ASMU.
I will be staying there mid February for the first time.
I've read through your review and it would seem that its not much different from the other All Star resorts so I appreciate knowing that.
Once thing I'm curious about though is the crowd/noise at this resort.
Would you consider it to be less crowded and quieter than other values?

Thanks for the tip - I will not try off roading (sidewalking?) since that does sound impossible with a stroller.

Pop's refurb really does look amazing but I just remind myself that at this point if I went to Pop I wouldn't be guaranteed a new room anyway. And this trip is all about firsts we are looking forward to our first time at AsMu.

Thanks for the review!!

So I've stayed at every value but ASMU.
I will be staying there mid February for the first time.
I've read through your review and it would seem that its not much different from the other All Star resorts so I appreciate knowing that.
Once thing I'm curious about though is the crowd/noise at this resort.
Would you consider it to be less crowded and quieter than other values?

When we visited, we stayed in the Broadway section and it was like a ghost town. In Calypso and Jazz Inn there can be some noise because it is so close to the main pool.

Thanks for the tip - I will not try off roading (sidewalking?) since that does sound impossible with a stroller.

Pop's refurb really does look amazing but I just remind myself that at this point if I went to Pop I wouldn't be guaranteed a new room anyway. And this trip is all about firsts we are looking forward to our first time at AsMu.

Thanks for the review!!

That would be very wise, though some of those strollers out there are built like tanks!! ;)

Pop is a gamble now, but will be awesome in the coming years. I actually completed a review of Pop that I will be posting later today. I asked for, but did not receive, a refurbished room.

We stayed at Music once a few years ago when Pop wasn't available. The only way I would ever stay there again would be in a preferred room. We were back there by the boots. The farthest room in the farthest building facing some scrawny woods. Far far away from parking and main building.

That being said, our room was just fine, no problems at all with noise either. And I really like the big boots, lol.

We stayed at Music once a few years ago when Pop wasn't available. The only way I would ever stay there again would be in a preferred room. We were back there by the boots. The farthest room in the farthest building facing some scrawny woods. Far far away from parking and main building.

That being said, our room was just fine, no problems at all with noise either. And I really like the big boots, lol.

I loved photographing the boots, but I would never want to stay there! :) It is SO far. I think that resort, even though it is relatively small, is hard to walk.

We have been WDW vets since 2005 when our son was 4 years old. We have been to POP and the Moderates since 2005. This past June 2017 we planned a last minute trip with a discount code. We were happy to reserve Music resort for a great price. Plus our son was 16 at the time of trip. We were pleasantly surprise with the resort. Another great benefit for this trip was with the opening of Pandora at AK, the value resorts are the closest to AK. We are easy going park visitors and spend most of the time at all the parks any ways. The Music Resort was AWESOME. All the cast members extremely friendly, room clean, quiet(Backside of Broadway bldg), transportation the best on this trip. Food Court renovated and clean. We would recommend any guests visiting the WDW parks on a budget to stay at Music.

We have been WDW vets since 2005 when our son was 4 years old. We have been to POP and the Moderates since 2005. This past June 2017 we planned a last minute trip with a discount code. We were happy to reserve Music resort for a great price. Plus our son was 16 at the time of trip. We were pleasantly surprise with the resort. Another great benefit for this trip was with the opening of Pandora at AK, the value resorts are the closest to AK. We are easy going park visitors and spend most of the time at all the parks any ways. The Music Resort was AWESOME. All the cast members extremely friendly, room clean, quiet(Backside of Broadway bldg), transportation the best on this trip. Food Court renovated and clean. We would recommend any guests visiting the WDW parks on a budget to stay at Music.

Completely agree! The proximity to AK is a huge plus for my wife and I. We have found ourselves spending more and more time there (especially given the current state of affairs in HS). We were satisfied with the resort! If you go in expecting a place to lay your head with friendly staff and some Disney magic, you will be very happy!

When we visited, we stayed in the Broadway section and it was like a ghost town. In Calypso and Jazz Inn there can be some noise because it is so close to the main pool.

It would appear Calypso and Jazz Inn are family suites and preferred rooms right?
Its just 2 adults with standard room so I'm guessing we would not even be put into one of them right?
Not that I want to have to walk super far but I'd rather be in a quieter area so not staying in one of those would be better overall.
Unfortunately it seems like they've taken the room request option off online check in so unless I want to call or fax something in I am crossing my fingers for Broadway.
I really don't like how this resort is set up so "front to back".
At AS Sports I had a standard room and requested touchdown and got right at the end where all we had to do was walk down the stairs and a quick walk to the buses.

It would appear Calypso and Jazz Inn are family suites and preferred rooms right?
Its just 2 adults with standard room so I'm guessing we would not even be put into one of them right?
Not that I want to have to walk super far but I'd rather be in a quieter area so not staying in one of those would be better overall.
Unfortunately it seems like they've taken the room request option off online check in so unless I want to call or fax something in I am crossing my fingers for Broadway.
I really don't like how this resort is set up so "front to back".
At AS Sports I had a standard room and requested touchdown and got right at the end where all we had to do was walk down the stairs and a quick walk to the buses.

That is mainly the problem with the resort is the layout is hard to deal with. The sidewalks make no sense and everything is very linear. Some of the resorts (like Pop) are spread out, but there isn't a long walk on the property. I would recommend looking at the Broadway section. It was quiet for us and the walk was not horrible.

Your thinking about preferred/ family suites is correct. They are all in Calypso and Jazz Inn.

If you go during a time when it is warm enough, the Piano Pool is a quiet and secluded pool that we valued spending time at.

For what it is worth the Swan, definitely not a Disney value resort, also has upside down electrical outlets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter