Disneymoon of our dreams!

DreamingDisneyDays

Earning My Ears
Hello! My name is Ashley, and this is my very first trip report (so be nice please!). This trip was our Disneymoon (plus a little Universal thrown in!) from 9/15-9/27. We stayed onsite at Caribbean Beach from 9/15-9/20 (deluxe dining!), then we moved to Hilton Grand Vacations at SeaWorld (9/20-9/25), and finally ended at Universal's Cabana Bay Beach (9/25-9/27)...whew! The trip was our first without our families; we loved the flexibility of that! It's an entirely different kind of trip than one with family, especially if there are children involved. We did F&W, MNSSHP, Epcot Seas Aqua Tour, and a whole lot more!

moded1_zps9cdbc9b2.png
[/URL][/IMG]

First, some background info...I have lurked on the boards for a long time, mostly reading other trip reports... it helps pass the time away from WDW! I have gone to Disney several times with family, but this trip truly sparked my love of it. It was the first time I got to plan everything, and I LOVE planning! We already have another trip planned, and I can totally seeing this becoming a yearly thing.

My husband, Matt, is not as much of a Disney lover, but he likes it and I'm working on making him as crazy about it as I am... He is a very laid back, goofy kind of guy, and fits in PERFECTLY at WDW because he's just one giant kid! He is pretty much willing to go with whatever I plan as long as he gets lots of tasty food (a requirement for me too!).

Links:
Travel Day- Driving
Travel Day- Hotel and Shutters

Day 1- Our First Park of the Trip
Day 1- Park and Parade

Last edited:
I cant wait to read about your trip! My fiancé and I are taking our Disneymoon in January!
Yay my first ever comment! Thanks for reading. I'm sure your Disneymoon will turn out amazingly, congrats!
Joining! You had be at "i love planning" ;)

Congratulations! Sounds like a fun trip!
Haha so I'm not the only one! My planning drives my husband nuts but it's just my thing. Thanks for reading!

Travel Day- Driving

Both my husband and I hate planes, so we decided to drive down to Orlando. The day after our wedding. Without stopping. From Baltimore, MD. Piece of cake, right? :rolleyes: We figured we would start driving late Sunday night, around 11PM, to hopefully get to Orlando by 3PM. I even left extra time in there; google maps said it would only be 14 hours. We managed to get out of my moms house at about 11:30PM after saying goodbye to our canine son, Kirby. Not too far behind schedule!

We made it past the inevitable roadwork around DC, I don't know why they have to ALWAYS be working in that area! It was pretty smooth sailing and before we knew it the sun was shining!

At this point we were starting to feel a bit tired... what is it about driving that is so exhausting?? So we were completely giddy when we stopped at a rest stop and found this baby...

A Caribou Coffee!!! :lovestruc (Sorry about the cruddy pictures, I promise they get better when I use my real camera!) Caribou is by far the best coffee place, and ours was closed not long ago so we were so happy. Refreshed and re-energized we hit the road again and cruised along until Georgia where we hit a wall. It was like we crossed the state line and every ounce of energy poured out of us. We stopped at a Denny's that took FOREVER. We just got coffee and two breakfast sandwiches and it took well over an hour! The bright side is that the mixture of annoyance at that and the coffee from there pushed us through (an hour behind schedule now thanks to molasses slow service).:headache:

Yay! We're here! Well, almost anyway. There's something about that sign that's just so exciting... until you realize how much farther into Florida you really have to go. We hit the usual traffic and could barely keep our eyes open, but we made it to our home for the next five days!

Officially done with the boring stuff, next post starts DISNEY TIME!

Next: Travel Day- Hotel and Shutters

Last edited:
Hey Ashley! Can't wait to read more about your trip. We were also at WDW in September. Hope you had a fabulous Disneymoon!!

I'm in! Love reading other couple's reports!

We'll be there in September with (hopefully) free dining and staying at Caribbean Beach so lots of similarities between our trips! Looking forward to more :)

Not sure how your wedding was but I know for ours we did so much of the planning that we were pretty mentally exhausted after it so I can't imagine driving that much - so good for you for making it!

There's something about that sign that's just so exciting... until you realize how much farther into Florida you really have to go.

It's amazing how long Florida is and how long it takes to get to WDW once you enter the state .... I can't imagine how long it would feel to drive all the way to the Keys!

Hey Ashley! Can't wait to read more about your trip. We were also at WDW in September. Hope you had a fabulous Disneymoon!!

Thanks! We definitely did!

So exciting! Congratulations! I can't wait to read more.

Thank you!

I'm in! Love reading other couple's reports!

We'll be there in September with (hopefully) free dining and staying at Caribbean Beach so lots of similarities between our trips! Looking forward to more :)

We loved free dining. It made the deluxe plan possible for us, which was great for the honeymoon. And Caribbean Beach was great!
Not sure how your wedding was but I know for ours we did so much of the planning that we were pretty mentally exhausted after it so I can't imagine driving that much - so good for you for making it!

It's amazing how long Florida is and how long it takes to get to WDW once you enter the state .... I can't imagine how long it would feel to drive all the way to the Keys!

Yep, I did basically all the planning (booking vendors, making the invitations/guest list/table setting/centerpieces, etc.), which is why he drove most of the way :teeth:. I actually have been down to Key Largo, and it's a miserable drive. Not only is it hours longer but you also have to pass Disney without stopping :scared:

**Side note before the update- We are moving on Friday, and cutting off our internet tomorrow, so unless I can make it to somewhere else with internet the next update may take a little longer to happen!**

Travel Day- Hotel and Shutters

So we arrived at Caribbean Beach and went to check in. The woman was very nice, but she was on the phone trying to find out if our room was ready for AT LEAST 20 minutes. That wouldn't be that long if we hadn't just spent hours in the car, but we were exhausted and just wanted a bed. To kill time I took some photos of the lobby... but honestly it just wasn't that interesting to photograph. It was nice but nothing really special.

Finally after what felt like forever, she found out that it was ready, thank goodness! We were in Barbados, which turned out to be really nice. It wasn't a very far walk to anything, which was something I had worried about after reading reviews of this hotel.

Our building... I just love the colors!

Our room was nice. The king bed was large and comfortable. I really liked some of the little details, like the Nemo pattern on the bed and the pineapple on the mirror. It was a lot more spacious than the AoA room I stayed at with my mother and sister, though that may also be partially due to the fact that we had two beds then, and now there was only one. After I took my pictures we collapsed on the bed and passed out cold. We couldn't stay that way though, because I had made our first ADR for 9:00PM at Shutters. I hadn't heard great things about the place, but it was at our resort, so I figured we could give it a shot. I didn't want us to sleep straight through from 4PM and wake up at like midnight, so I figured food would encourage us to just nap, which it did, though neither of us were completely awake. On the way to Shutters... more pictures!

At this point I didn't think I was going to do a trip report, so I didn't take any pictures of the food here (sorry!), but it was by far the sleeper hit of the trip. For our appetizers we had our favorite and least favorite things in the meal. Mine (our least favorite) was some kind of breaded mixed seafood on a stick (I didn't write it down and it's not showing up online anymore). It wasn't very good. But that was completely overshadowed by Matt's appetizer, the chicken wings that were in a sweet and spicy sauce. They were amazing, even though I don't like spicy things. We both still crave them to this day, and he is trying to convince me to go back just for them on our next trip! For our entrees he had the pork brisket (he said it was pretty good), and I had the New York strip (awesome!). For dessert we had the tres leche and the vanilla cheesecake, both of which were really good.

I didn't have high hopes for Shutters because no one seemed to really love it, but it was the perfect thing for us. Out of all the restaurants we went to, Matt says it was his favorite. I didn't like it as much as him but it was by far better than I expected. If you are staying at CB, go to Shutters and GET THOSE WINGS.

We left and went out into the food court area to check things out and get our refillable mugs. One thing I did love about this resort was all the color. It's beautiful and so different from ordinary hotels.

We went back to the room again and I snapped a picture of our room number before passing out again. We had an early morning to prepare for!

Up Next: Day 1- Our First Park of the Trip

Last edited:
I love the pictures from the food court! I didn't get any when I was there in January.

Congrats on the marriage. Thanks for the pictures of the food court, CB was the first resort we stayed in back in 1992. Brought back good memories.

I love the pictures from the food court! I didn't get any when I was there in January.

Thanks! I loved the theme in there, the ceiling was awesome.

Congrats on the marriage. Thanks for the pictures of the food court, CB was the first resort we stayed in back in 1992. Brought back good memories.

Thank you! As the first resort we've stayed at without family I'm sure it will be the same for us.

Day 1- Our First Park

We got up at about 8AM. We wanted to get there close to opening, but aren't the types to rush to rope drop. The bus stop was a short walk from our room and it took about ten minutes to show up, not too bad! We were so excited, we couldn't help but take a few pictures.

Our Rings!

I love these buttons...

And I love the tails on the back of his hat even more! :lovestruc

So what bus were we on? Well, it just wouldn't be right to start a WDW trip without first going to...

Magic Kingdom, of course!

We caught a glimpse of the train coming through as we were walking up to the entrance. It took no time at all until we were walking through these...

And seeing this...

And finally THIS! (Ignore the ugly crane)

There really is no feeling like seeing that castle for the first time in a trip... it's like coming home. We stopped to take a photopass picture before heading to the rides! We were going to be back at Magic a few more times, so this day we were going to do bits and pieces of each land, and see the Festival of Fantasy parade. It would probably have been easier to do one or two lands fully, but I just wanted to see it all again on that first day.

First up was Jungle Cruise. DH and I both appreciate the corny humor... but it totally depends on the skipper for this ride as to whether it works or not. We rode twice in this trip. The first was very good, and everybody was laughing. The second time was almost painfully bad... no one laughed and it was super awkward :sad2:.

Naturally, after Jungle Cruise we hit one of my favorite rides...

Unfortunately my camera would not work in there. Just TOO dark I guess. But it was fun as always, until we hit a boat traffic jam! I don't know what happened but we sat at the end in front on Jack Sparrow for at least ten minutes. We didn't mind so much though; it was dark, air conditioned, and we were sitting down! Once we got out of there we decided to go over to Tom Sawyer Island. We had never been there, and probably won't go again. I felt like there wasn't anything over there. Sure, it's a break from the crowds but frankly, it bored us. It was finally time for our first fp+ at this point, which was another of my favorites, Splash Mountain! Again, I don't have any pics (which will be corrected this trip), but it was reliably fun and we only got a little wet. Our last ride of this update was our second fp+

Man, that ride is BUMPY. I forget every time and end up with a backache the next day :sad1:

Up Next: Day 1- Park and Parade

Last edited:
Jungle Cruise is one of my all time favorites - in addition to the quality of the skipper the level the crowd is into the puns helps a lot ... always a bit awkward when I am all into it and laughing and saying the puns along with the skipper and everyone else on the boat is in total silence and/or staring at me

I think Tom Sawyer Island is largely for the break and to just let you explore things and for kids to have a chance to run around a bit

If you think BTMR is bumpy I hope you don't ride Goofy's Barnstormer :rotfl2:

Just found your report and have enjoyed it so far. Great start at the Magic Kingdom!

I LOVE those happily ever after buttons!

You are so right about seeing the castle for the first time on a trip - NOTHING compares to it!

Jungle Cruise can be so hit or miss. Glad you at least got one good skipper!

Jungle Cruise is one of my all time favorites - in addition to the quality of the skipper the level the crowd is into the puns helps a lot ... always a bit awkward when I am all into it and laughing and saying the puns along with the skipper and everyone else on the boat is in total silence and/or staring at me

I think Tom Sawyer Island is largely for the break and to just let you explore things and for kids to have a chance to run around a bit

If you think BTMR is bumpy I hope you don't ride Goofy's Barnstormer :rotfl2:

I completely agree about jungle cruise... I haven't been enough to be able to say all the puns though, I think I'll make that a goal :teeth:. No Barnstormer here; I had heard that the seats are tight and DH is 6'2" and does NOT like being squished (or riding short rides).

Just found your report and have enjoyed it so far. Great start at the Magic Kingdom!
Following along! Excited to read about your Disneymoon!

Welcome! Working on an update now!

I LOVE those happily ever after buttons!

You are so right about seeing the castle for the first time on a trip - NOTHING compares to it!

Jungle Cruise can be so hit or miss. Glad you at least got one good skipper!

The buttons are displayed in our house now, and I am totally ready to see the castle again in 5 days :lovestruc!! Totally true about jungle cruise, one good skipper is better than none!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter