DisneyLand & WDW rides: the same

Wow! Thanks for the info.
At WDW my top three rides are:
Haunted Mansion
Rock and Roll Roller Coaster
Pirates (which I consider one of the longer rides @ WDW)

Since the parks are smaller: 1 day for each park or can I combine both in 1?

Everyone has said pretty much what I would say on comparing the rides between WDW and DL. But you would definitely benefit from one day in each park rather than trying to squeeze them both into one day. Although the parks are smaller, they are jam packed with attractions, especially DL.

Hah, that's funny, not that its a highlight, but we thought the one at DHS was WAY better. Yes, I like hat they post the characters you draw, but inside the one at DCA, you get crappy little lap desks. At DHS you get a desk with a light fixture underneath, that really allows you to pencil sketch lightly and avoid messing up your sketches. Those desk make DHS a winner hands down

Really? I LOVE the lap desks! Well, let me clarify, I like being able to move around my drawing much more and the animators we had at DCA really emphasized the natural movement and moving your board around so you could get it just right. At DHS I felt really locked into having my paper on the table and had a harder time getting things symmetrical. But, I did like having a desk. I just wish there had been a differnt approach.

I also liked that I could pretty much just walk up before show time at DCA and not wait in that little pen which is part of the reason we went back so often at DCA and only did it once at DHS.

To each their own! I just love the experience, a free souvenier, and getting to sit down for a little while out of the sun :)

I would say go for at least two days just to make sure you don't force yourself into trying to get all the highlights in one day. You never know when a ride will go down or what will be calling your name at a particular time.

Since it takes about 2 minutes to get from one park to another you can hop very easily if you desire (much more worth it, IMO than WDW) and you can better hit all the highlights.

I suggest making sure you ride Radiator Springs Races in DCA at night... SO amazing! Actually, all of Cars Land is amazing at night with all that neon :)

I have been previously and done just one day, but I have to say, it is much better to go for two or three if you can swing it. Disneyland is especially wonderful for people watching and sitting back to enjoy the moment maybe with a phenominal corn dog from the corn dog wagon or a dole whip!

I agree that Space Mountain is way better in DL than WDW! The one at WDW hurts me it jerks you around so much! Indiana Jones is also one of the best rides for sure.

Honestly we have not even discussed downtown Disney or the resorts and restaurants 3-5 days is a nice trip especially if you want afternoon swim and rest breaks.

Screamin is a great coaster. F! is soooo much better at DL, really not to be missed. Also Buzz at DL is way more fun! A lot is comparable - DL has the slight edge on most rides I think.

There are also many things at DL not at WDW that you should check out - World of Color of course, a really beautiful show.

For the ride ride ride experience I prefer DL - so much easier to get around and lots of great rides. I like to go 3-4 days to relax the pace a bit. For the resort vacation experience of 7-10 days I way prefer WDW... nothing like a good long week hopping around the World. So many non-ride (and non-park) things to do there!

In DL keep in mind in the off seasons not all shows run.. and fireworks etc.... are often only on the weekends. Not like at WDW where everything runs all the time. So plan carefully.

I love both parks - after an initial shock the first time I went to DL and stayed offsite... but I have come to love DL since now I guess it is my home park. There are many things to appreciate about it. Don't compare but just enjoy DL for the experience that it is - which to me is quite a bit different than WDW.

Have fun! :)

Kim

I'm a DL regular and I have to say our standard recommended length of stay over on the DL board is 3-4 days. You definitely will need more than 1!!! You see even though we only have two parks compared to WDW's four, we have essentially the same number of rides/attractions as all four WDW parks combined.

Parks aren't smaller in stature, only in area. DL has 33 rides compared to MKs 23. DCA probably has about 20 or so, though some are pretty worthless without kids, there's probably 10-15 worth trying. (I find a good comparison to DCA is DHS, which has about 6 rides.)

We did three days and were mostly satisfied with what we got to see, though honestly would have preferred one more. (We also had a 9-year old.) I'd say if you don't have little kids with you, you can get through the highlights in 2 days, 1 for each park. (Could save versus the extra $$$ for "hopping".) One day for both parks would barely scrath the surface, even if you go 8 AM to midnight.

It also can depend on the time of year and day of the week you go. These parks get VERY crowded. More-so typically on weekends or during the summer, because they're are a lot more locals (over 1 million APs out there).

We went to DL for the first time this fall, and I was prepared to see it as a subpar version of its Florida counterpart. I was underwhelmed when we walked in and saw Sleeping Beauty's castle in all its glory. It was so small!

I have to agree though, some of DL's rides were much better than the WDW versions. Pirates was SO so much better. I thought IASW was as well. The characters mixed in were adorable! DL's Nemo attraction beats the pants off of Epcot's Nemo ride. It isn't even fair to compare them. Submarines vs clamshells isn't even a competition. Buzz Lightyear is slightly different. The targets have different shapes, and the gun is tethered rather than mounted to the car. Plus, the sheer amount of rides and attractions that are uniue to DL make it worth a visit.

I still prefer WDW over DL, but there's room for both in this family.

IME, both Pirates and the HM are far superior in DLR.

Pirates has a bunch more scenes that gradually ease you into the experience.

At the Mansion, you walk right in the front door. You also get to walk down the portrait corridor and the clock, and get really close. And there's something about the general show lighting that makes details more visible. (And they don't have that silly, mood-ruining interactive playground in the front yard.)

When are Jack and Sally available for autographs in DL? Just at the Halloween parties?

When Haunted Mansion has the Nightmare overlay, Jack and Sally (not always together) are available for autographs during the day. (I think I remember seeing them in November.)

The one thing I don't like at DL is Splash Mountain - you sit straddling a bench and are holding on to the sides. I need the solid thing in front of me to hang on to. {:--) (Its been a few years since our last DL trip, but DH said I'm remembering it correctly.)

I think what makes POTC better at DL is the contrast between floating through the Blue Bayou restaurant before the drops - makes it much more dramatic.

Add me to the list of those who love Indy at DL. I'll still ride Dinosaur at AK because I enjoy the "feel" of the ride, but the theming is WAY better in Indiana Jones.

We did one day at Disneyland this October after a cruise...hadnt been there since I was a teenager and since then have been to WDW numerous times. We loved the Haunted Mansion---it was all decorated for Halloween and was spectacular. Also loved the Matterhorn, Pirates and thought Space Mountain was great. We also loved the canoes that you paddle yourself around Tom Sawyers island---how igreat is that to have a group of people paddling their own canoe! This ride dates back almost to the opening of DL back in the 50's...was told that originally the "guides" were real Indians, then the Indians wanted too much $$ so they were replaced by CM's!

We visited on a Sunday and I have never seen such HUGE crowds like that-think they had alot of annual passholders there for the day! We did rope drop, rode like crazy then did more of the attractions that don't get the huge lines. Despite the crowds, we were so happy we went!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter