Disneyland was very busy last weekend 8/17-8/18

smack

Earning My Ears
Looks like the slow times at DL may be coming to an end. We noticed that it was quite crowded at DL on Saturday 8/17. We heard cast members commenting that it was they busiest the park had been for a while. But, although it was busy, it wasn't as bad as Thanksgiving week or Spring Break. Nonetheless, it was much more crowded that we had expected it to be.

We were there Saturday too and thought it was more crowded than it had been. But with MaxPass, we saw what we wanted to see.

Yeah, we did MaxPass as well and were still able to do a lot. It was an awesome trip. Wish I was still there, instead of back at work! haha

We were just there on 8/17 (Sat) as well as Thu (8/15). As expected, Thur wasn't as busy because it was a weekday. Though Sat was much more busy, it was still not as busy as I was expecting. Granted, last time I was there on a Saturday was in July 2017. I didn't experience, real crowds until we got to SWGE. So is SWGE creating more crowds for the whole park or taking crowds away from the rest of the park? Overall i find the busiest areas to be the corridor from Adventureland through to New Orleans Square.

It was the first time I can remember them having to close the parking structure since Pixar and pals opened. This was on Saturday. Got the tweet around 7pm. I got there right before they announced Mickey and friends and Pixar pals parking was full. Once I got in the parks FP’s were only available for buzz and iasw.

I think the crowds are from people using the flex passes. Before, weekends would be the best time to go with every pass but signature being blocked for a good portion of the year. It makes sense that flex pass holders would be snatching up all those Saturday and Sunday reservations. That’s when most people are able to go.

t makes sense that flex pass holders would be snatching up all those Saturday and Sunday reservations.
Forgot about this! A lot of people are aware Saturday’s can be great days to go with blockouts. So I’m sure those with the flex pass are taking advantage (don’t blame them), and going Saturday’s

We were also there Saturday. It was crazy compared to earlier in the week. But not spring break crazy. We mostly did shows and maxpass rides. There's no reason to wait 25 minutes for pirates when we had ridden it already ten times this week. It worked out.
People waiting for MSEP were a bit ruthless. We had several families attempt to stand ON our blanket for our family of six since the kids were playing and not sittingng yet. I actually had to scold a woman for pushing her toddler to stand IN FRONT of our seated family near the end of the parade and she had the nerve to tell at me to think of the children. Lol..ok. a lack of planning on her part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

... I actually had to scold a woman for pushing her toddler to stand IN FRONT of our seated family near the end of the parade and she had the nerve to tell at me to think of the children. Lol..ok. a lack of planning on her part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
You were thinking of the children -- Your own! Whose parade viewing you had planned and organized for! You weren't responsible for hers. She probably could have put the toddler on her hip and been fine.

Regarding rude people jockeying for parade viewing positions....we didn't get to experience this because we didn't catch any of the parades this time around, but for spots like "on" the curb of main street (not on the side walk, but literally sitting on the curb, feet on the street pavement), have you ever encounter anyone trying to get in front of you there? Because if they did, they'd basically be blocking the parade. I'd think that would be the safest place for preventing people from barging in.

Regarding rude people jockeying for parade viewing positions....we didn't get to experience this because we didn't catch any of the parades this time around, but for spots like "on" the curb of main street (not on the side walk, but literally sitting on the curb, feet on the street pavement), have you ever encounter anyone trying to get in front of you there? Because if they did, they'd basically be blocking the parade. I'd think that would be the safest place for preventing people from barging in.
Yes and that’s partially why I don’t do parades on the curb anymore. About 2 years ago during the Christmas parade my friends and I had spots on the curb that we waited in hour in. Right before the parade a lady runs over my hand with her stroller, then let’s her kids squeeze in between us. She then asked could we move back because her kid wanted to sit there. We were like “no, we’ve waited an hour and have never seen this parade”. She then proceeds to say we were selfish for ruining the parade magic for her kid 🙄 other instances people have sat on me. So I don’t do large crowd things like that anymore. I did the MSEP but I did the parade package.

People waiting for MSEP were a bit ruthless

We had similar experiences on our trip too last week. First time we watched it just standing in the back of people that had camped out for a spot and then a group of people literally just kept shoving themselves into any gap in the standing room to the point they were literally shoving us aside. It was nuts! My son and I split off from our group to try again on another night and we watched over by it’s a small world and it was much better. But we also experienced a lady with a toddler just throwing herself down in the two inch gap between my blanket and the lady next to us five minutes before show time. So annoying when people do that!

Scary stories!

On my visit last week I saw a bunch of folding chairs set up and roped off on the landscaped circle where the Walt and Mickey statue are. Now you can be sure no one is going to be squeezing in, near, or around that area and that (hopefully) there'll be staff managing that area.....but who, dare I ask, are the exclusive VIP's that get to sit in that area?

Scary stories!

On my visit last week I saw a bunch of folding chairs set up and roped off on the landscaped circle where the Walt and Mickey statue are. Now you can be sure no one is going to be squeezing in, near, or around that area and that (hopefully) there'll be staff managing that area.....but who, dare I ask, are the exclusive VIP's that get to sit in that area?
People with VIP tours.

When someone gets ruthless and aggressive about pushing themselves into your viewing space, call for the nearest CM right away. Tell the CM clearly and calmly that you have been waiting for over an hour (or however long) and that X person just came up now and shoved themselves into your space/person/ran over you/attacked you/etc. Let the CM call security if needed -- in other words, let this go up the chain of command. Usually the offending person will back off and run away, rather than face any kind of authority. If they actually want to battle it out, they can do so with the CMs and with security, not with you. Sometimes, CMs will try to find you a better place to sit to get you away from the obnoxious person. A friend was verbally attacked by a woman who came out of nowhere with her family. CMs came to help. My friend explained that she had been sitting quietly waiting for the parade when this stranger began attacking her for no reason. The attacker kept up the harangue and wouldn't stop. CMs had a discussion and moved my friend to the VIP section. End of story.

I do remember on a prior visit I had watched the MSEP from the railings/steps leading up to the Main St. train station platform. I didn't notice too many problems there, considering, the elevated nature of being on a step, since you're still above whoever stands in front of you, and if your along the railing, again no one can get in front since there's no "front of" since it's a drop off into the landscaping....granted....you're standing the whole time. Though the elevated nature of the viewing makes up for a little bit of being set further back from the action. I wonder if DL will eventually create some kind of reservation/designated area system all along Main St. for parade viewing.

That's a lot of VIP tour participants given the number of folding chairs I saw!
There are a lot of VIP tours some days. Someone mentioned the max number of tours they do in a day, and I want to say it was between 50-100? Maybe @Malcon10t knows. At up to 10 per group, that could indeed be a lot of VIP seating!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter