Disneyland Vets, I need WDW planning help! Don't know where to begin

Hi Mike! Wow, you're going to stay for quite a few days! I'm jealous! :rotfl: OMG, you got a free dining pin code for early summer? I don't have one. How did you get one? So if they moved DEP to WDW, what are they doing with Spectromagic? I really liked Spectro way more than DEP when we were there because I really like the music for the show much better. (I know I'm a DL traitor, but something about the DEP music grates on my nerves after the first 10 minutes!) :rotfl2: Don't shoot me! :duck: Are the fireworks going to be like the Halloween version of DL's fireworks or is it going to be like Magical? The Halloween version was unreal! I really wanted to go to DL to see that in October, but I'd need to get an AP and I wasn't really planning on renewing this year due to all the construction. However, if they have a Halloween version of the fireworks at WDW for Summer then maybe I won't need to go to DL in October! ;)

It will not be magical. It is called Music Magic and Mayhem similar to the Halloween fireworks I've heard. They have perimeter fireworks as well so that will be cool. I agree I like Spectromagic too but the first time we ever went to WDW our first nighttime parade was MEP so for the nostaglia it will be fun.

Yeah, we'd love to go to the waterparks. We didn't get to do that on our last trip! Bummer! We suck at planning things out too far in advance. My DH is very much a fly by the seat of your pants kind of guy and even if I plan things out, he will want to change things. Makes me crazy. Maybe an advantage to staying on site is the free transportation so that if he wants to do his own thing he could while DS and I could go to the parks, etc., w/out worrying about transportation. The problem is, we've never ever used WDW transportation, so I'm concerned about getting lost, missing the buses, etc. Is there a board where I can go to learn about what goes where and what times? Do they have transportation schedules printed out for dummies? :laughing:

The buses run about every fifteen minutes to each park. There is absolutely no way you can get lost. I will warn you though sometime in the morning and when a park closes the buses will get very crowded.

Oooh, parasailing and sea raycers sound fun! I like that hot air balloon idea too! That sounds way cool! How did you find out all this info about the extra things to do? How much does each thing cost per person? Are there any discounts available? You're getting your park tickets as part of your package, right? So you're going to take breaks every day and then go squeeze in some of these extra activities while on your break?

We always schedule days off into our trips. We like to do fun stuff thats not park related. The ballon thing is about $16 per adult and children are cheaper. The sea raycers already come with a discount and so many minutes when you book a package but not sure of the prices. I am still looking into the parasailing prices. I believe its around over $100 pp the last time I looked. I think you can do tandem as well. I really need to look into the prices.

Renting a lens for that price sounds like a great idea! I really want to buy that Tokina 11-16 2.8, but it is hard to justify since I already have the Sigma. I would definitely sell the Sigma, but they have since come out with an even newer version, so I'm not sure how much money I would make back. And unfortunately, because of the newer version lens, my lens obviously will be worth less and to top it off, the 3rd party lenses don't hold their value compared to the brand lenses. :crazy2: :headache: I still, for the life of me, haven't figured out how to fix the distortion problem on my UWA photos using Photoshop CS3. I have so many nice photos that look mediocre or weird because I can't fix the problem. I don't know the basics of using PSCS3, so that's my problem. When I find online instructions, they all assume that I already know how to create a duplicate layer or mask, etc. If you find any good, easy to follow info, I'd appreciate it if you let me know. :headache:

You know, we haven't really decided where to stay. I tried to talk my DH into DVC and he just can't see it. (He's not into Disney as much as I am.) He kieeps reminding me how Timeshares are one of the worst investments, especially one in which your ownership expires after a certain period of time. :rolleyes1
My Dh is one of those guys who likes things very cheap, as long as it's safe and clean. To him a hotel room is just a place to sleep. He's willing to pay more for clean and especially safety. For example at Disneyland he loves Hojos and Fairfield Inn, and would gladly pay more to stay at Hojos due to the convenience of plentiful, free parking, safe walking distance, and interior corridors. Seriously, we've paid $140+ tax nightly to stay at Hojos for the above criteria. That's how much he dislikes all the rest of the motels and parking situations on Harbor. Are there any WDW hotels that could come in less than that per night? I assume they are all safe, clean and have plentiful parking, right?
So for WDW, I was thinking about POR but not sure which side is better. Alternatively, I was also thinking of maybe just staying at POP or ASMo or ASMu since it's usually so much cheaper than the moderates. Of course these might already be sold out at the discounted rates. I really have no idea where any of these properties are located in relation to the parks. I used to have a map of the area, but lost it long ago. If we can get the discounted rates, I would probably look into the moderate or even Deluxe places and maybe do a split stay as well. We'd definitely like to go to US and IOA as well because DH and DS really enjoyed that the last time. As a family, our favorite park was Epcot. I looked into Boardwalk, but I didn't like the pool area. For the price they charge I would have expected more. I like the Yacht or Beach Club but when I last looked into it was pretty pricey. Not sure if I want to spend that much for a place to sleep.
Do you know who I call to find out if we have a Pin code? I really have no idea. I know last year we got some mailers w/ pin codes but we never used them. So far this year, nothing... :sad1:[/QUOTE

You can book a moderate room only deal and get Riverside for in the low $100's. Its a great resort and better in my opinion than any value resort including POP. The resort is beautiful and the grounds are lush. We are a family of five so we stay in the alligator bayou section and love it. We've stay on the Mansion side which is also nice but its farther away from the Riverside Mill and lobby. Riverside also has access to a boat ride to downtown disney and back. A big plus with us. Its a fun free ride. You can also rent surrey bikes, take a carriage ride around the resort in the night, and it has many "quiet pools" and the main area pool which also has a water slide and none of the values have that!

The Riverside Mill has great food and quite a section. There is also a restaurant on site which is good. We are splitting our stay and going to Poly at the end and this will be our first time on a monorail resort. Hotel hopping is also fun. Have you ever visited the Grand Floridian or Wilderness Lodge?

Other things out of the ordinary that I want to do as well:
The Electrical water pageant that runs in seven seas lagoon each night, checking out the nightlife on the Boardwalk, and trying restaurants we usually don't eat at (Le Cellier at Epcot).

We are big Epcot fans as well. If they had built Epcot at Disneyland then I would never go back to WDW. I really love Disneyland. Not sure how much if anything I answered but its fun to plan. Oh yeah you have to call 407 W Disney to see if you have any pin codes attached to your name.

Hi there DisneySuiteFreak! I certainly am familiar with the dilemma you are now facing! We are DL veterans but just took our first trip to WDW last December. I know SherryE has already put a plug in for me with a link to our trip report. However, you might actually check out the link to my Pre Trip Report as it might have more useful planning info.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2254103

Also, before I even started that I had another thread where I had asked some questions. Like you I preferred to start on the DL part of the board because it was familiar and I had heard I might be likely to run into some less than friendly folks on the WDW portion of the board. Some of that did turn out to be true but I did receive useful info from both sides. Here's a link to that thread.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2129940

Hydroguy has probably the very best WDW links here on the Dis. And I must add another recommendation for Tourguidemike.com. I spent A LOT of time reading there. It is a very well organized site with endless amounts of information.

We stayed offsite and loved it. As a matter of fact the house was one of the highlights of our trip. We had a 4 bedroom house with a private pool 10 minutes from the park at a fraction of what it would have cost for us to stay onsite for 2 weeks. We did not relish the idea of using Disney transportation so it worked out just fine for us to have to use a rental car to get around. There is a lot of planning involved at WDW but you can do it and have a great time. Can't wait to read a report when you get back. Be sure to let us know how you think the parks compare. For us WDW was okay but our hearts belong to DL! :lovestruc If you have any questions I might be able to answer feel free to ask or feel free to PM me.

Getting away from DL DSF?! I'll look forward to seeing your pictures! :thumbsup2

You've been getting lots of great tips so I'll just add a couple of things. POR is my favorite moderate resort and I have always preferred the Riverside part from way back when it was Dixie Landings. I've never stayed at one of the values but reviews consistently rate POP over the All Stars. If you wanted to look at one of the "moderate deluxes" which are Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness lodge you'll be getting better theming, more amenities and more dining options at the resort. We LOVE both of them. Oh - and usually bigger and better beds depending on the room type you book. Many of the deluxe hotels have movies on the beach every evening - or they also do it at Fort Wilderness Campground. They have a campfire, roast marshmallows and watch a movie.

Have you looked at Mousesavers.com? Lots of good tips for WDW and saving money there. On their first page they will list any specials or a link to specials and codes that are currently going on. Allears.net is another great website.

Over the years I've done on-site and off-site. Personally we've decided that since we're going there mostly because of WDW then we want to be right in the action and it's been - wow, I just realized it's been a decade since I've stayed off site! :eek:

Just a few other random things...It's an easy drive to Universal. The Sea Raycers are lots of fun! There are dinner shows like Hoop-de-doo at Fort Wilderness and the Luau at the Polynesian. There are some nice tours - like they offer at DL.

The Disneyworld website does give information on the recreation available at each resort: Recreation

We joined DVC a couple of years ago and now are at WDW (and DL) more than ever. DH, who never went to either prior to meeting me, now looks forward to it just as much as I do! Although he does much prefer WDW. I'm still working on that part! ;)

Hydroguy has probably the very best WDW links here on the Dis. And I must add another recommendation for Tourguidemike.com. I spent A LOT of time reading there. It is a very well organized site with endless amounts of information.
For anyone who reads my Intro to WDW you will see I talk a lot about TGM. I like TGM a lot. It is imperfect but I like the philosophy and the advice. FWIW, TGM philosophy and RideMax philosophy are very similar. RM is focused on rides, while TGM is focused on the overall experience. The UG is helpful but their philosophy is, well, more negative. Or maybe more business-like and just less fun. It is certainly different from TGM and RM. But UG has their TP website which does have useful info.

For me personally, on future trips I will subscribe to TGM ($20), RM ($20) and the TP website ($8, which is part of the UG), but I will not buy the UG anymore. I did the first trip and it helped, but now I do not need it anymore.

:)

I always find it sort of strange to hear how people like to stay outside of WDW resort. We did that the first two times we went and the prices were definitely cheaper but we enjoy the total immersion factor. I like the fact that I never have to step foot in a car or see the outside world for the length of my stay.

We also did Universal and SeaWorld one time but I continue to find my favorite of our WDW vacations are when we stay on property the whole time.

Thank you all so much for sharing your awesome info! I have to run but will post back with more questions. :goodvibes
I agree with you Mike about if they had built Epcot at DLR! :)

I just wanted to add that I have found great rates at several hotels due to the discount room only deals they have right now. My problem is airfare. For 3 of us, it's going to be over $3k just to get there since it's summertime travel. Add in food (if they don't have free dining) and car rental (because DH always has to have a car), and it's pretty daunting. :sad2: I'm beginning to wonder if I should just book off season. DS won't be able to go though due to school. :sad:

Mike when you say you book your stay to include off days to explore and do other recreational things, how many days do you book to go to the park? For instance with your upcoming trip which is 9 days IIRC, how many days did you get your tickets for? Did you get the park hopper option and water park option? What about the no expiration option?
I'm wondering if it's worth it to get like a 10 day ticket with no expiration and then use half of it and have 5 more days for a future trip? It's sooooo expensive to add that option now! Alternatively, it may be cheaper to to the Premium AP for both parks... Granted, only good for a year, but then I would be able to go to DL for a couple more trips before they expire. :teeth:

I just wanted to add that I have found great rates at several hotels due to the discount room only deals they have right now. My problem is airfare. For 3 of us, it's going to be over $3k just to get there since it's summertime travel. Add in food (if they don't have free dining) and car rental (because DH always has to have a car), and it's pretty daunting. :sad2: I'm beginning to wonder if I should just book off season. DS won't be able to go though due to school. :sad:

:scared1: Where are you flying from? And is this August? If it's a smaller airport is there another one nearby you could drive to that might have better fares?

My recommendation on airfare is always to wait if you can't find something you like. As long as your other items can be cancelled it won't hurt and I bet it'll improve.

If your DH really doesn't like exterior corridors, I would recommend staying at the Swan or Dolphin . I believe the mods and values all have exterior corridors.

We are big fans of the Swan, and love walking to Epcot!

I like allears.net (Deb's guide) and Laughing Place and I also use the Official WDW Birnbaum book and the official Unofficial Guide to WDW.

:scared1: Where are you flying from? And is this August? If it's a smaller airport is there another one nearby you could drive to that might have better fares?

My recommendation on airfare is always to wait if you can't find something you like. As long as your other items can be cancelled it won't hurt and I bet it'll improve.

Hi Kat,
We're flying in from Hawaii. I don't think the rates will drop much between now and when we're planning on going. :sad:
Do you know if the room only bookings have cancellation penalties? I'm thinking of booking rooms for now and waiting to see if things get better. I was shocked when I check Southwest and other smaller airlines for interstate travel in the 48 states that their rates were pretty high for my dates. I would be better off booking with the major airlines. OTOH, I'm thinking of postponing the trip until we can plan waaaaaayyyyyy in advance (this is rather last minute for a WDW trip considering the ADR situation of booking 180 days out). :scared1: I could buy some nice glass for what I'd spend on the airfare alone. :sad2:

If your DH really doesn't like exterior corridors, I would recommend staying at the Swan or Dolphin . I believe the mods and values all have exterior corridors.

We are big fans of the Swan, and love walking to Epcot!

Hi Judy,
Does the Swan or Dolphin have access to EMHs at the parks? I got a really good rate at WL and was seriously considering that, but with the airfare situation, I may be postponing our trip. As far as exterior corridors go, I don't think anywhere on site would be a problem whether they had exterior corridors or not. The resort seems pretty safe, right, not like the little motels on Harbor and surrounding areas?

Hi there DisneySuiteFreak! I certainly am familiar with the dilemma you are now facing! We are DL veterans but just took our first trip to WDW last December. I know SherryE has already put a plug in for me with a link to our trip report. However, you might actually check out the link to my Pre Trip Report as it might have more useful planning info.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2254103

Also, before I even started that I had another thread where I had asked some questions. Like you I preferred to start on the DL part of the board because it was familiar and I had heard I might be likely to run into some less than friendly folks on the WDW portion of the board. Some of that did turn out to be true but I did receive useful info from both sides. Here's a link to that thread.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2129940

We stayed offsite and loved it. As a matter of fact the house was one of the highlights of our trip. We had a 4 bedroom house with a private pool 10 minutes from the park at a fraction of what it would have cost for us to stay onsite for 2 weeks. We did not relish the idea of using Disney transportation so it worked out just fine for us to have to use a rental car to get around. There is a lot of planning involved at WDW but you can do it and have a great time. Can't wait to read a report when you get back. Be sure to let us know how you think the parks compare. For us WDW was okay but our hearts belong to DL! :lovestruc If you have any questions I might be able to answer feel free to ask or feel free to PM me.

Hi Mariezp,
Thanks for all the info you provided. I am reading your TRs now. I may have to postpone our trip as I don't want to drop over $3k on airfare alone. :sad: Did you miss not being able to take advantage of EMHs? That's my big dilemma, as we are used to staying offsite at DL and we did it once before at WDW years ago. I wasn't as into photography then as I am now. I think I will really regret not being able to stay late for EMH if I stay offsite. I'm not as worried about the early hours, I'm more interested in the evening hours. At DL, we usually close the park down. Thanks Marie!

I like allears.net (Deb's guide) and Laughing Place and I also use the Official WDW Birnbaum book and the official Unofficial Guide to WDW.

Aloha Tommy_B and welcome to the Dis! Thanks for the post. What airlines do you fly on to get to WDW the cheapest from Hawaii? :goodvibes This is kind of a last minute trip for us. Maybe if I had looked/booked earlier I could've gotten rates a lot cheaper than what I'm finding now.

Hi Judy,
Does the Swan or Dolphin have access to EMHs at the parks? I got a really good rate at WL and was seriously considering that, but with the airfare situation, I may be postponing our trip. As far as exterior corridors go, I don't think anywhere on site would be a problem whether they had exterior corridors or not. The resort seems pretty safe, right, not like the little motels on Harbor and surrounding areas?

Yes, everything would be perfectly safe. And they are well done properties.
The Swan and Dolphin qualify for every disney property "perk" except the "key to the kingdom" card, meaning you can't use your room key as a charge chard on Disney property.

Hi Kat,
We're flying in from Hawaii. I don't think the rates will drop much between now and when we're planning on going. :sad:
Do you know if the room only bookings have cancellation penalties? I'm thinking of booking rooms for now and waiting to see if things get better. I was shocked when I check Southwest and other smaller airlines for interstate travel in the 48 states that their rates were pretty high for my dates. I would be better off booking with the major airlines. OTOH, I'm thinking of postponing the trip until we can plan waaaaaayyyyyy in advance (this is rather last minute for a WDW trip considering the ADR situation of booking 180 days out). :scared1: I could buy some nice glass for what I'd spend on the airfare alone. :sad2:

Ahhh! I know our airfare to HI jumped so much after the loss of Aloha. And that was also our least expensive flight to LA/DL! :sad2: Still, I wouldn't count out it dropping. IMO the fuel scare of a couple years ago has increased the price of early bookings. And airlines are more willing to fill the planes and will drop prices to get people in the seats closer to travel dates whereas before they used to really zing you. At least this is what I see on the mainland. It may not apply to HI.

Room only reservations do not have any penalties and depending on how you book them (website or calling) you will have different cancellation dates. Still, I think it's 5 days prior to check in if you've booked over the web or 6 days if you've called. Packages change things but room only is very easy to work with and would give you time to see if airfare improves.

Regarding ADR's - it wasn't til I got on these boards that I even knew you HAD to book them at 180 days. :lmao: Up until then silly me would call at 2-3 months and book. Usually without much trouble. It will all depend on where you want to eat.

Delay and get a new lens?! That really might be best though. ::yes:: :rotfl2:

Yes, everything would be perfectly safe. And they are well done properties.
The Swan and Dolphin qualify for every disney property "perk" except the "key to the kingdom" card, meaning you can't use your room key as a charge chard on Disney property.

And you can't use ME.

Another vote here for POR. I've also stayed at POP and that's been fine, too. I do love the peace and quiet and lushness of POR. I feel that all the hotels would qualify as "safe" in terms of physical harm. I wasn't bothered by the room doors opening to the outside though it gave me pause at first, too. You should always be careful no matter what but there isn't a "bad" hotel in the "bad" part of Disney World.

I'm sorry that the WDW boards have a reputation of being insulting to "visitors" from other boards. I mainly frequent the WDW boards and I'm here because I'm planning a mini trip to DLR in two weeks. I feel bad about our reputation. Most of us aren't like that at all!

I hope that you get to go sooner rather than later. The price of airfare fluctuates all over the place, it's always hard to know when to jump! Good luck. You'll have to let us all know if you decide for sure on a date. We can definitely offer lots of help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter