Disneyland Vets and Vacationers, Talk the talk! I'm ready to listen!

Jimmy Mouse

My other car is the Monorail
So, after a lifetime of going to Walt Disney World, We decided to take a trip to Disneyland. Hopefully we make it lol. It all started when I got back from Detroit last week where I had to go for business. My girls (11 and 8) had a lot of questions about flying as they have never been on a plane. Also my wife has never flown but stated she would only fly if it were First Class so before she could change her mind, I booked us a trip June 2023 to Washington DC for 2 days (we were going to drive next summer) then we fly to Disneyland for 4 days. The look on her face when I told her it was all booked was priceless lol. And of course it's all First Class so she has no excuse at this point. Anyway, none of us have ever been to Disneyland so I would like to here from my fellow Dissers the good, bad and what to expect. And go!

Disneyland is far more compact, but there is still plenty to ride, fun places to shop, and great places to eat. It's incredibly easy to go from park to park or park to Downtown Disney. Downtown Disney is the shopping/entertainment district.

CarsLand is an absolute must visit. The theming is spectacular. It is a retro neon paradise at night, but it looks equally amazing during the daytime. If you can, try to ride Raidator Springs Racers in the daytime and at nighttime. It's a different experience, but both are wonderful.

Pirates is worth riding because it is not a carbon copy clone of WDW.

Galaxy's Edge is a carbon copy of WDW so unless you haven't been to the WDW version, I don't think there's anything new to see at the Disneyland version.

There are more quick service places than table service places, but many of the quick service places are great.

Genie+ includes PhotoPass, which makes it totally worth it if you can afford it. I don't photograph well and the PhotoPass photographers have consistently taken fantastic photos of me.

Depending on what your budget is/how you want to spend your money, in California Adventure there are two stores that will do custom Disney art (Off the Page and Nick's Knacks). There is a giant book of character sketches and you get to pick which character/character design you want and the artist will customize the colors if you want. It is expensive, but it is also a unique one of a kind souvenir. Whether or not you do it totally depends on your budget and how you want to spend it.

Nerdy Things:
Animation Academy in California Adventure has a room full of of Zoetropes and early animation devices.

In Disneyland, stand near the partners statues and see the paths to the different lands eminating from the central hub. Take a minute to realize this is what Walt Disney imagined and where he stood and that it still exists today.

I think it's called the Disney Gallery (it's on Main Street in Disneyland). They have a map/model of Disneyland on opening day and it's amazing to see how much remains and how close parts of it have stayed to Walt's vision.

Any ride sensitivities, like fear of drops, dislike of getting wet, motion sickness issues (especially those brought on by simulators) we should know about? I'm not trying to pry, just getting information that may help with ride recommendations or rides to avoid.

Last edited:
Smaller overall land area, much higher density of magic. Some even think it's more "magical" overall because of the charm and character of the park. Every square inch of the parks is well cared for and magical. (Except the Hollywood Backlot, but we don't talk about Bruno...)

There are way, way more local guests at Disneyland than at WDW, which gives the "culture" of the parks a different feel. It's hard to explain beyond that - you have to interact with the guests and see how the park handles to understand what I mean.

It's less of a "Resort" than WDW - Downtown Disney and the hotels are fine, but it's not a week-long destination in my opinion, and this coming from somebody that's spent 50+ days in the parks. But the quality of each item is awesome. And the fact that it's all right next to each other makes the entire time there just a joy - you're always riding, seeing, sensing, and doing. There isn't as much "dead time" between rides, parks, meals, etc. as WDW.

There is actually amazing quick-service food here. I never feel the need to get dining reservations at DL - the quick-service food is great!

Hopping is a much bigger deal here. Often I'm in Disneyland, then hop over to DCA to do like 2 rides, then hop back and see a parade, then hop again for a ride and a meal, then hop back, etc... park hopping is a 5-minute time investment, not a 45-60 minute one, so it feels more like one giant park than 2 distinct ones, at least to me.

That's a lot of the main things - enjoy Walt's park!

So much more compact.
Good neighbor hotels are often times better
Renting a car is a must
Fly into Santa Ana/John Wayne airport
You don’t think you’ll need more than 3 day park hoppers I’d do 4 day.
Quick service is so much better.
Don’t be afraid if you don’t get a reservation because walk ups work better. Also there are better restaurants with the same food in DTD (Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen if you can’t get Blue Bayou).
Characters roam almost free and it’s so cool.
Genie plus is a little different out there and I’m not just talking about no magic bands.

First off, welcome to the other side!! I'm also a WDW vet who has spent the last 6 years traveling to the West Coast.

1) A car is NOT necessary, unless you wish to go run an errand, or if you're worried about time back to the airport; or if your hotel is way off site. It's also nice if you need to go make a Target run; eat somewhere away from Disney, etc. But again, a car really isn't necessary. If you get a hotel on property, or if you get one on Harbor, you'll be fine.

2) The park entrances literally face each other, with about 500 feet between them. Easy peasy. DTD is also right outside the park entrances.

3) Pirates at DL is quite different than the WDW version. We MUCH prefer the DL version.

4) Avengers Campus at Calif Adventure is nice, but not alot to do there. There are 2 rides currently (since they include what used to be the HTH, now rethemed for Guardians). Webslingers is pretty much a Marvel Toy Story Midway Mania.

5) If you can swing it, Carthay Circle restaurant is a VERY nice restaurant.

6) Def get at least one (1) Genie+ for your party, so that you can have access to the Photopass pics.

7) Don't rush. There's ALOT of history at DL. Take the time to soak it up.

8) The crowds are definitely different (locals FAR outnumber visitors). They are very friendly (with the occasional exception...LOL)

9) DTD is MUCH MUCH smaller than Disney Springs.

10) Because of the proximity of the parks to the ocean, sometimes it can get breezy in the evenings. If that's the case, a light windbreaker or sweatshirt will be more than sufficient. If you don't want to pack one, but end up needing one, I know that the shop in Frontier Land sells actual wind breakers. Since you're going in June, it may not be an issue at all. So take this info with a grain of salt.

11) Get a locker if you plan on doing any shopping. Much better than lugging things around all day.

12) LOTS of QS locations with decent food. Use Mobile Ordering. It comes in VERY handy.

13) If you rope drop, you will get alot done during the first 2 hours or so at the parks. The locals really start packing the place about 10-11am. After that, all bets are off.

14) You should see World of Color.

15) Our first trip to DL, we focused on what you can't find at WDW. So that meant:
- Indiana Jones
- Pirates (because it's different)
- Avengers Campus
- Incredicoaster/Pixar Pier (be advised that this is much more a "carnival" feeling area)
- Matterhorn (very jolty - watch your back)
- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
- Monster's Inc.
- Guardians Mission Breakout (HTH hotel)
- Radiator Springs Racers/CarsLand - Great theming (see it at night too)

16) If you're worried about all the sun, take a compact UV blocking Umbrella. Very handy.

17) Remember to breathe and have fun making family memories!!

Galaxy's Edge is a carbon copy of WDW so unless you haven't been to the WDW version, I don't think there's anything new to see at the Disneyland version.
We were at WDW the week it opened and have visited SW:GE many times.
ride sensitivities, like fear of drops, dislike of getting wet, motion sickness issues (especially those brought on by simulators) we should know about? I'm not trying to pry, just getting information that may help with ride recommendations or rides to avoid.
No ride issues at all. Thanks for all the information!

It's less of a "Resort" than WDW - Downtown Disney and the hotels are fine, but it's not a week-long destination in my opinion, and this coming from somebody that's spent 50+ days in the parks. But the quality of each item is awesome. And the fact that it's all right next to each other makes the entire time there just a joy - you're always riding, seeing, sensing, and doing. There isn't as much "dead time" between rides, parks, meals, etc. as WDW.
I booked 3 days with park hoppers. I figured that would be enough. Thanks for all the info!

Good neighbor hotels are often times better
We booked Paradise Pier ( I think that's what it's called) but going to try to use my DVC points in November when the 7 month window opens up for Grand Californian. If there is no availability it's no big deal since we have a reservation. I would just like to save my money lol.
Renting a car is a must
I already reserved a car to take us from the airport to the hotel. We don't plan on going anywhere besides the parks and DTD.
Fly into Santa Ana/John Wayne airport
I booked at LAX after trying all the others. I got a better deal and a better flight (Delta One) so the kids can lay the seat out into a bed if they want to take a nap.
Genie plus is a little different out there and I’m not just talking about no magic bands.
No Magic Bands? That's going to feel weird lol.

First off, welcome to the other side!! I'm also a WDW vet who has spent the last 6 years traveling to the West Coast.
Thank you!
6) Def get at least one (1) Genie+ for your party, so that you can have access to the Photopass pics.
We plan on getting G+ for all of us so we can wait less (Hopefully)
7) Don't rush. There's ALOT of history at DL. Take the time to soak it up.
One thing we always do is take our time and enjoy our time together.
15) Our first trip to DL, we focused on what you can't find at WDW. So that meant:
- Indiana Jones
- Pirates (because it's different)
- Avengers Campus
- Incredicoaster/Pixar Pier (be advised that this is much more a "carnival" feeling area)
- Matterhorn (very jolty - watch your back)
- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
- Monster's Inc.
- Guardians Mission Breakout (HTH hotel)
- Radiator Springs Racers/CarsLand - Great theming (see it at night too)
All my girls talk about is incredicoaster and matterhorn lol. They also are very interested in Mr Toad since I told them how it was my favorite as a kid at WDW. My 10yo is excited about Mission Breakout and both about Radiator Springs. Thanks for all the information!

Hopefully you’ll be able to get the GC villas, we just love those rooms & you really can’t beat the proximity to the parks (although the new PP entrance to DCA also helps if can’t get it).

We booked Paradise Pier ( I think that's what it's called) but going to try to use my DVC points in November when the 7 month window opens up for Grand Californian. If there is no availability it's no big deal since we have a reservation. I would just like to save my money lol.

I already reserved a car to take us from the airport to the hotel. We don't plan on going anywhere besides the parks and DTD.

I booked at LAX after trying all the others. I got a better deal and a better flight (Delta One) so the kids can lay the seat out into a bed if they want to take a nap.

No Magic Bands? That's going to feel weird lol.
No magic bands took a while to get used to lol

I to would’ve gone where the better deal was for flights. We were clearly spoiled with Santa Ana lol.

Jealous of Paradise Pier! We just couldn’t justify the price of any of the three and we were able to rack up Marriott points

1) A car is NOT necessary, unless you wish to go run an errand, or if you're worried about time back to the airport; or if your hotel is way off site. It's also nice if you need to go make a Target run; eat somewhere away from Disney, etc. But again, a car really isn't necessary. If you get a hotel on property, or if you get one on Harbor, you'll be fine.

I would like to reinforce that comment about the car. Post COVID, car rental is so expensive. What I did on my trip last week was to rent a car at LAX while visiting LA for 7 days (Universal, walk of fame, warner brothers, Santa Monica, etc) and then return it at the Alamo around the corner from Disneyland. There's ZERO need to have a car at Disneyland, in my opinion while you're there.

What I saved alone in parking at the hotel (or at the Disney park) for the 3 nights (not to mention the extra rental cost from those 3 nights, if I had kept the car) paid for the UBER XL (family of 5) to take us back to LAX and we still didn't have to worry about the stress of returning the car rental, getting a shuttle back to the airport, etc...

You have a lot of great advice here. As a person who does both costs, my biggest piece of advice is to just treat Disneyland as its own separate trip and experience and drop any WDW comparisons. I love Disneyland for Disneyland and I love WDW for WDW and I don't compare the two ever. I really feel they are apples to oranges.

You didn't mention where you plan to stay. Are you planning a Disney hotel or good neighbor? I don't mean to make assumptions, but based on your wife's comment about first class, I feel where you stay may be important to you and your family.

So back to my comment about treating it as separate from WDW- you have lots of time, so I would spend time reading threads here and checking out some Disneyland specific blogs such as Casey from Disneyland Daily. Try to immerse yourself in the "Disneyland way" of life.

We often time see folks come on these boards who are WDW regulars and they come and complain after a trip. I'm not negating their real experiences, but often when I read their experiences I feel they had a bad time because they were in a constant state of comparison. The opposite is true too. My first WDW trip I had to get out of my Disneyland mindset. I now really enjoy both coasts for what they each offer. I love that at Disneyland I can just walk everywhere. I love that at WDW I can get on the skyliner. I love that at Disneyland I can randomly run into a character walking through fantasy land. I love at WDW I know exactly where and when to find every character I want. I love at WDW that I'll book that lightning lane at 7am on my way to the parks and start planning my day and I love that at Disneyland I don't have to look at my phone until we are in the parks and I can wing it more.

I am a WDW vet who lives on the east coast. I’ve been there countless times. I’ve been to DL twice, most recently last month.

As others have mentioned, you will be amazed at how convenient everything is. No need to take a bus. Parks are literally right next to each other and both exit right into downtown Disney. This is SO convenient (especially since I had small kids and a stroller).

Food is better at WDW IMO. It wasn’t bad at DL, just not exceptional. I suggest eating your table service meals in downtown Disney since the menus are less limited. We ate at Ralph Brennan’s, Tortilla Jo’s, Naples, and the Splitsville Bowling alley was good too! No wait and the smaller bowling balls had Mickey on them :) I did miss the California Grill. If you like character dining, do Goofy’s Kitchen. This was fantastic and blew away any character buffet in WDW.

Nighttime entertainment is fantastic at DL. Do World of Color. There’s nothing like in WDW. We did the dessert party. The desserts were honestly not great at all but the experience was really wonderful.

Characters at DL are everywhere!!!! This was so great for my kids. They were very into characters this trip, especially my 7 year old who wanted to stop and meet everyone we saw. DL blows WDW away in the character department.

If you can afford it, I suggest staying on site. I know people say it’s not worth it in DL, but if you are used to staying onsite in WDW like we are, the resort is part of the experience. I like to be in the bubble and from what I gather, not all of Anaheim is a magical place to stay or pass through. If you stay on-site, you won’t be in any of that. I’ve stayed at both GCH and this recent time at the DLH. We enjoyed both but honestly I’m not sure if GCH is worth twice the price more. It is closer, yes, but not that much.

If you love the slow moving animatronic dark rides, DL has so many of these that WDW doesn’t have. Cars Land is amazing. Go at sunset when they turn on the neon lights and play the SH-boom song. DCA in general is a great park.

SNA is easier and closer than LAX.

Overall DL has so many of your favorite things at WDW plus all different unique things. They are both worth visiting in their own right as they both offer experiences and attractions the other does not.

I would like to clarify about the car: we loved renting a car and recognize that because we had an employee discount through a family members job, it was cheaper (and it was even cheaper because we flew into Santa Ana-we did a fun comparison to LAX and it was about $350 we saved flying into Santa Ana).

If you are at a good neighbor hotel, you’re not going to want to walk everywhere. Uber is insanely expensive out there as well, and in the end renting a car was more valuable both physically and financially.

I understand not everyone will see it that way. But it is something to consider.

I hope you get the Villas but they are very hard to book 7 months out - but I love staying there - so much so that we bought some 2nd hand points as that was the only way we could make reservations - we could never get anything we wanted with our other DVC points at 7 months out, even with waiting lists. I like Fantasmic! at WDW, but at DL it feels so much more special due to the setting - right there in the middle of everything! Blue Bayou - which is a really special place to eat for the atmosphere, at the beginning of PoC- has a Fantasmic! package with a nice (on the ground) seating area (you eat first then have tickets to enter their area later) as does River Belle Terrace (we were in theirs last time and were right in front nicely centered - our first Fantasmic! post-COVID so it was really exciting! We did have to get there about an hour + early to be in front, and I usually hate having to stake out a position but it was worth it - and when you are with the people you love the time passes quickly. I love Mr. Toad - as a teacher, I always read my 2nd Graders a picture book of The Wind in the Willows so at least they all know who Mr. Toad is lol - and I don't remember riding the one at WDW - but from what I've read about it it was way more amazing than DL's so don't expect too much. Look for the evil queen peeking out of the window over the Snow White ride. And I agree about seeing CarsLand light up at dusk at least 1 night - it's only a few minutes, but it's worth it if your kids like the first Cars movie. I also love watching the clock outside IASM on the quarter hour when the figures come out but it has never interested anyone else in my family. My 7 year old grandson's favorite ride in CA is Goofy's Flight School. It is a mad mouse and I don't think there is really anything comparable in WDW. He loves the big coasters but likes this better. And I would like to put in a plug for the sourdough bread at Boudin's, which many consider the original SF sourdough bread (mmm - clam chowder in a freshly baked bread bowl). I love both resorts but these are some of the things we have at DL that are you don't have at WDW (and Indy of course). Oh, and we really like the character breakfast at Plaza Inn. Hope it has gone back to usual - some serve yourself items and some they serve you items. Great character interactions and pre-COVID you could get a ressie before the park opened to people not staying on property and even get a ride or 2 in before our ressie came up. We always used to eat at Goofy's Kitchen (you can eat there early before the parks open, so you don't have to miss any park time), but switched after we found this right before the shutdown.

You didn't mention where you plan to stay. Are you planning a Disney hotel or good neighbor? I don't mean to make assumptions, but based on your wife's comment about first class, I feel where you stay may be important to you and your family.
I booked Paradise Pier but will change to Grand Californian in November (my 7 month window) if it's available. And her comment about First Class is because I flew First Class on a recent trip to Detroit last week and it will be her first time flying ever. She is going to be nervous and being more comfortable plus the free alcohol will help lol.

I booked Paradise Pier but will change to Grand Californian in November (my 7 month window) if it's available. And her comment about First Class is because I flew First Class on a recent trip to Detroit last week and it will be her first time flying ever. She is going to be nervous and being more comfortable plus the free alcohol will help lol.
Yes I would deff change to GCH or DLH. paradise pier is undergoing a remodel project to become pixar
Place hotel, but right now it's kinda a mess..

Yes I would deff change to GCH or DLH. paradise pier is undergoing a remodel project to become pixar
Place hotel, but right now it's kinda a mess..
if I can't get GCH maybe Pixar Pier will be done by June when we arrive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter