disneyland to Universal studios

"Best" is subjective

Best combination of flexibility and price with no car?...UberX
There are bus tours but your hours are very limited and restrictive
Rental car even for a day from local branch may be worth it as UberX is about $100 each way
There are cheaper public transportation options but it is convoluted and time consuming.
You can also to a door to door SuperShuttle. Pricing is available on their website (but I despise them)

Me? I would first look at rental car (even from SNA...only a $20 uber ride there) or Uber if rental was gonna be too much.

We just used Lyft from the GCH to USH last month for the first time. We went on a Saturday, left about 8am and returned about 4pm. Cost was around $60-65 each way including tip. I didn’t want to try to drive in LA traffic even though I drive in Dallas traffic all the time at home. No issues whatsoever. Do ask them to drop you off and pick you up at the circle drive of Universal, which is right by the entrance gates. Our driver who took us there didn’t know where it was (and we didn’t either) so she dropped us off at the end of City Walk, which was about a 7 minute walk to the gates, so not bad, but pick up was awesome right at the exit gates.

How many people are gong?

If you're ok with public transportation, You can take the Metrolink train from the Anaheim Station to Union Station, and then the metro red line (LA's subway system) and get off at the Universal City/Studio City exit. It's about a 1/2 mile walk to USH. There's probably a bus from there too.

At least, going there. Metrolink trains don't run late at night.

If you're ok with public transportation, You can take the Metrolink train from the Anaheim Station to Union Station, and then the metro red line (LA's subway system) and get off at the Universal City/Studio City exit. It's about a 1/2 mile walk to USH. There's probably a bus from there too.

my wife and 2 sons

I agree with renting a car. It's not a short trip, public transportation can be cumbersome, and Uber would be expensive.

I personally just don’t like traveling that far in an Uber. If I had to choose between public transportation or Uber, I would pick the Uber.

Not to mention that Uber will likely cost you about ten times as much as a rental. Agencies out here tend to be pretty competitive. I often paid less than $20 a day for a nice car.

We have rented a car but for a summer day trip we had to rent it the day before and return it the day after to be able to get a full day at the parks. In September we used Uber or Lyft (or a combination I honestly cannot remember) from near Disneyland to the Griffith Observatory, from Griffith to USH around noon and then from USH to the Disneyland area towards the end of HHN. All told for all 3 rides I think we paid about $100. (For some reason our trip "home" was quoted super super cheap and we snapped up that rate)

I recently priced a non-airport rental (Hertz, AAA rate) at $100.00 for 48 hours (pickup Tue PM, return Thu AM) for a potential one day trip to DL, but YMMV. UberX just quoted me $54-73 each way (Grand to USH), but remember that depending on the day of the week and time of the day, surge pricing for Uber is not unusual in that area.

I love Uber, but for a day at a theme park I'd rent a car. UNLESS, pick up/drop off of the car meant I had to cut into my DL days!

Do your sons need car seats? Uber doesn't provide those, a rental company will.

When weighing pros and cons of cost & convenience between Uber or a rental car don’t forget to add in parking fees for the rental. Parking at universal last I checked was $25 for regular, $35 for preferred & $50 for super duper preferred. Also don’t bother with preferred, it’s still rather far & you still have to walk through their Downtown Disney equivalent/City Walk. I would do whichever was cheaper overall during your trip, sometimes you can get a good deal on a rental and sometimes not.

amtrak, last train is at 10 usually. Takes u to Fullerton. Uber/Lyft down from Fullerton.
theres a shuttle from the bottom of the hill to front gate too.

We used Lyft in June, it was $57 plus tip one way, and $51 plus tip on the way home. for us using lyft means not having to worry about parking, or driving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter