• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland Shuttles

Larissa

Mouseketeer
Hi,
A friend and I will be going to Disneyland, CA, in February :cool1: and we're looking at how we're going to get from the airport to the hotel and back. Right now we're thinking of doing the Disneyland Resort Express, but I'm a little wary because I have seen some reviews online that aren't the greatest. It seems people are getting them confused with the Disneyland Express though - I am unsure.
Anyone have any recent experiences or recommendations?:hyper:

Thanks!

I've taken the DLE numerous times and never had an issue. I've found the most "annoying" part is the waiting but I've never had a problem with their service.

Just remember that it's a large tour type bus. When you're waiting often small shuttle vans will approach and ask if you want to ride with them, just politely say no (or ignore, your choice) and wait for the "tour bus" You can't really miss it.

All that said I prefer using a car service (DK Livery is my fav.)

The private van services, like Lansky, are always the best in terms of getting you to your destination quickly, since they do not pick up and drop off other passengers. They are not always the most cost-effective though, and you can expect to pay around 90 to 100$ one-way from LAX for a private, non-shared van service. But if you are looking for something to get you to your destination as fast as possible, these private vans are for the most part, on time, reliable, and have cordial drivers. Taxis are also an option similar to the private vans, costing around 90 bucks, depending on traffic. The disneyland resort express isn't the best option, since its schedule is kind of iffy (I have heard it fluctuating many times without notice) and they may make various stops before they reach your hotel. The DRE is 35$ round-trip for adults, 20 $ one-way, and free for children 11 years old and under. Also, many people have reported that the drivers are not friendly and complain about their jobs. I mean, I guess it is understandable, since the service is not owned by disney. :rotfl:

We used Lansky's last time from LAX. It was $95 to Anaheim and $85 for the return trip. I would use them again.

We looked at the DLE, but our flight times were too late arriving and early leaving.

My brother and SIL always take the DLE and never have had any issues and have taken it from both LAX and SNA. This will be out first trip without a car and we looked into the bus, however, found because there are 4 of us in our family and our kids are teens the cost was almost a wash for a van service that had more convenient pick up times for us.

If you want a private car without the private car price, call Lyft or Uber. They will come get you at the airport and take you wherever, like a cab or a private sedan. Its cheaper than both and there would be no waiting. You just download the app for either service and request a ride. The driver shows up and picks you up. I drive for both services in my hometown. You get picked up in a new, clean car. I just drove a ride last night that was about 40 miles, drove for about an hour and it cost my rider $48. I don't know what it would cost LAX to Anaheim, but it would definitely be cheaper than a cab or other private service.
(Lyft tends to be a little cheaper)

P.S. You can also call Lyft and Uber for hotel to park travel. It would cost you $4 or $5 to get to the maingate if you are near the park. Its a good option after your day at the park while your kids are dragging feet down Harbor during the 20 minute walk back to the hotel...definitely worth the $4.

I have used DLE, Lankskye and Karmel....The last time I used DLE we were at the first stop..it was over 100 that day..by the time we got to the last terminal at the airport the bus was full and the people there could not get on and had to wait more..Also DLE has fewer pick ups at good neighbor hotels...If you have 3 or more people I would use car service it is the best..but if price is the issue Karmel service is great they only may pick up a couple of more people..they pick you up right at your hotel..DLE if a good neighbor hotel have spots you have to walk to....

My brother and SIL always take the DLE and never have had any issues and have taken it from both LAX and SNA. This will be out first trip without a car and we looked into the bus, however, found because there are 4 of us in our family and our kids are teens the cost was almost a wash for a van service that had more convenient pick up times for us.

Is there a van service you recommend? We are visiting DLR for one night after our PC cruise. I'm trying to figure out the most cost effective transportation from DLR to SNA for four people, plus our luggage from a 16 night trip!

UGH! The computer ate my whole reply! Let's try this again!

DLRE (Disneyland Resort Express) is a greyhound-style tour bus. It is the cheapest way, generally, to get to and from the airport to your hotel. We've had some great ones (like Guido, "the Latino guy with parents who loved Italy!" he told us to explain his name), who acted as a tour guide on the way (showing us the place where both Lindsey Lohan and Paris Hilton lived [the jail], the ramp from "Speed," and the ravine used for the race in "Grease." While I can't verify any of the stories he told, he was a fun driver! I've also had one that talked on her cell the *whole* way from DLH to LAX. I've been dropped off in my hotel parking lot (Super 8 Katella), on the street 2 hotels down from mine (Park Vue), and dropped off at the corner 4 hotels from mine (Super 8 Katella). I've been picked up in front of Best Western Park Place Inn (when staying at Park Vue), in front of Tony Roma's (again, while staying at the Park Vue), and at the corner of Katella and Harbor (when staying at Super 8 Katella). I've been charged multiple different prices, including having to "prove" the correct price on my phone to get the correct price in person. I've been picked up in less than 30 minutes when the stars align. I've also waited *2* hours on that blasted little concrete island at LAX waiting for their bus, and when I called, she told me she didn't know when they would be there! We've had empty busses before, and nearly full busses. Since we fly SW, we're at gate 2, I think. Those at gate 6-7 risk having to wait for the next bus, depending on how full the bus is. I've had a time or two where they "lost" my suitcase under the bus. It's a pain in the butt to switch busses at DLH.

I have no experience with DLE (the 15-passenger vans or small busses), other than they fact that there is a lot of confusion because of their name.

If you are interested, there's a thread for other people heading to DLR in Feb, and it's a fairly active group!

We have used Prime Time Shuttle service. This will be our 3rd time. Fast, convienent, prompt, inexpensive (if you use $7 off coupon) on anaheim visitors bureau. Also DLE doesn't transport directly to MANY good neighbor hotels. join us on the Feb Thred. :dance3:

If you want a private car without the private car price, call Lyft or Uber. They will come get you at the airport and take you wherever, like a cab or a private sedan. Its cheaper than both and there would be no waiting. You just download the app for either service and request a ride. The driver shows up and picks you up. I drive for both services in my hometown. You get picked up in a new, clean car. I just drove a ride last night that was about 40 miles, drove for about an hour and it cost my rider $48. I don't know what it would cost LAX to Anaheim, but it would definitely be cheaper than a cab or other private service.
(Lyft tends to be a little cheaper)

Uber has a block on their app, you can't request an UberX from LAX. Every few weeks there's a story about Lyft drivers getting impounded. It's illegal and many won't risk it.

We used DLRE in the past from SNA to our hotel (Round Trip) and LOVED it.

It was a tour bus with the Cars Land theme on the outside.
Bus was on time.
We got the last bus of the night and were the *only* people on the bus.
Driver was WONDERFUL!!
Going back was just the same, just a few more people on the bus.

Loved it and would recommend it. In fact, we are using it again this Feb when we will be there. :)

For our up and coming trip in February we were going to fly LAX so I purchased DLRE tickets (2 adults, free child). Later, I changed our flights to a different airport (SNA). I called DLRE and was told I can use the LAX tickets at SNA, just not the other way around due to the cost difference.

I was told no reservations needed, just show up at the specified area at the airport terminal.

Return trip no reservations needed as they come every 2 hours (we are staying at the Tropicana, which does not have a drop off time, so we will be in front of the Best Western next door).

At the airport other drivers WILL try to tell you they are the DLRE but they are not, just shoo them away. It is the big bus with Disney icons on it.

Agree with pp about PrimeTime Shuttle. Have taken them several times from LAX and SNA and LGB. Have never had them troll around looking for more passengers in the shared vans. easy to reserve and pre pay with discount and then maybe a short wait and off you go....right to your hotel (sometimes they drop off others at their respective hotels, but usually not too many).
With flying into SNA....more than 2 people, a taxi is best. It is cost efficient and easy and direct.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter