Disneyland report - 7-25-21 + map offer (as per)

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Disclaimer: I'm very tired after more than twelve hours at the park and a total walk of eight miles. So please forgive typos and/or less-than-lucid passages.

We arrived at the security line near the DL Hotel quite early -- before 6:00, actually. I was the first in the park and rope drop had been moved to the hub (woo hoo!). Someone I spoke with told me that it was the same yesterday, so we logged yet another step in the trek towards the restoration of normality ;-). There were some runners at 8:00 but, fortunately, there was also a CM on the castle drawbridge who halted the stampede and explained that anyone who passed him would go to the end of the line. I like when they do that, although I’ve perhaps only seen it five times or so.

Overall, it was a fantastic day; one of the best I've had in more than a year. That was due, in part, to meeting up with friends I haven't seen since the park closed last March. I was first on PP and SW was closed until about 8:15. That was awesome because we were able to then ride Mr. Toad, Dumbo and Alice before a massive line formed at the recently-refurbed ride. We walked over to it after Dumbo and it had just opened, so our timing was nearly perfect.

A friend scored 2,070,000 on Buzz on his second ride of the morning. That’s hard to beat because I’d have to score above it but also not exceed 2,096,000 (A.K.A. the reset point, A.K.A. the point of no return, the point at which poorly-written code ruins all the fun), all while keeping track of my score mentally. Four times today I thought I got to about 2,080,000 only to discover at the photo kiosk that I either miscounted or the score didn’t tally correctly. My money is on the latter ;-).

Two celebrity sightings in the park today: Sarah Jeffery from the Disney movie "Descendants" and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. I merely saw him in passing across from Jungle Cruise and CMs blocked access much like they do when a parade passes. But I didn’t care. Not particularly a fan. A nice couple I met later told me that they'd also seen Christian Bale in the park today. I presume he was there to marvel at my Buzz scores on the monitors near the exit. Perhaps he'd heard about me/them... as so many have/do ;-). Perhaps he's prepping for his role as me in the upcoming Disney film "Buzz Skillz, Buzz Killz."

As always, I have park maps if anyone would like a set. Simply message me your mailing address (domestic addresses only, please).

Other sightings today:
1. I saw a guy get pulled out of line at Splash for swearing at some dude’s daughter (perhaps she was ten), apparently. It looked like the dad was getting ready to slam him. At first I thought it was two buddies roughhousing; just playing around. But I inferred pretty quickly from the dad's tone that it was a serious matter and I was on his side immediately. I believe that the CMs simply asked him to go to another part of the park to diffuse the sitch, since they hadn't heard the name-calling themselves.

2. On a lighter note, there was a proposal in front of the castle at around 5:30 :-).

Park pics!

51CDB2B7-3179-477B-8067-33E11F632ADE.jpeg1922F2EB-24AF-4DC1-80F0-257903E46313.jpeg91AD219A-27EB-4F8A-9E19-D4BB7AAF287F.jpeg7D34AE00-1A0B-483E-AD11-79218F9A663A.jpegB62FB25A-451B-44CC-9B00-7A5E6863A635.jpeg50C55073-8A43-4AEF-8D54-49D8036C1D9C.jpegDBA6DB98-600C-40DD-AAC8-AFA2D507AA9E.jpeg628346BD-D9CF-4CE2-B51C-01B435EB01BF.jpeg5B16E30D-F111-476D-BA94-260F3490F5A8.jpeg

Did you see the Rock walk back by Indy? I was there yesterday and saw that! There was this giant swarm of people all of a sudden and everyone started jumping up on planters to try to get pics! I saw him wave but man, they got him through that mass of people quickly.

Great pics! Were you standing on a bench or something to get those elevated ones?

You mentioned that you entered at the security line near the DLH, so you entered through DTD? What is the procedure these days if you're wanting to be one of the first in line at the turnstiles? It's been a couple years since we went, but I've always gotten there early enough to snag a front spot and would like to be sure I know what I'm doing next time. Used to be that DTD was open really early so getting there early enough would pretty much guarantee you a spot, but not sure if that's the case anymore.

Great pics! Were you standing on a bench or something to get those elevated ones?
I presume you mean the pics of the carousel, etc? Those were taken from Dumbo :-).

You mentioned that you entered at the security line near the DLH, so you entered through DTD? What is the procedure these days if you're wanting to be one of the first in line at the turnstiles? It's been a couple years since we went, but I've always gotten there early enough to snag a front spot and would like to be sure I know what I'm doing next time. ...
Every time I've been there -- even before the parks reopened and I was only visiting DTD -- they seemed to let the DTD/DL Hotel-side guests in first. That is, they let us in at least five mins before the folks on Harbor. I always presumed that was so the Harbor-side obsessives wouldn't have an advantage over hotel-side guests. I'm not sure that's a firm rule, though, so don't rely on it. But so far, so good for me. My friend arrived at the security line around 5:45 last Sunday. By 7:00 when they let us in, there were only perhaps 50 people behind us. It's a good ways to the park gates from there so you'll need to walk briskly, just in case some newb CM opens the Harbor-side floodgates too soon ;-). Also, be aware that guests who stay at the Grand seem to be allowed in before either the DTD or Harbor sides. On the map below, I've circled the approximate location at which the line forms (towards the lower left) in red. Note that guests move east of there (to the right) to get to the DL gates, which I've circled in blue.

DL DTD entrance.jpg
Good luck! I'm sure we'd all love to hear how your next visit goes. I plan to be at the park for at least the next two Sundays. I'll probably buy a second three-day pass before I even have a chance to miss it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter