Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

new hope: 2021. Jan or Feb or March? or even later? Best case scenario Feb

This is the (optimistic) scenario I’m imagining.. cases start doing down with vaccine rollouts.. the ‘room’ feels more ready to talk reopening in February. Disneyland pushes for March or April for hopes of salvaging Spring Break season. Will they get anywhere with Newsom? We’ll have to see. But until cases drop and ICUs become less overwhelmed Disneyland won’t say a thing, they’re going to wait for us to get through this surge.

That’s my hope but man, I don’t know. I want to plan a trip for summer so bad but not sure I can take the waiting on eggshells again. That was rough!

This is the (optimistic) scenario I’m imagining.. cases start doing down with vaccine rollouts.. the ‘room’ feels more ready to talk reopening in February. Disneyland pushes for March or April for hopes of salvaging Spring Break season. Will they get anywhere with Newsom? We’ll have to see. But until cases drop and ICUs become less overwhelmed Disneyland won’t say a thing, they’re going to wait for us to get through this surge.

That’s my hope but man, I don’t know. I want to plan a trip for summer so bad but not sure I can take the waiting on eggshells again. That was rough!

I’m also planning a summer trip, but am having a hard time. I expect (overly optimistic?) most folks who want the vaccine will be able to get it by July/August. I am pretty confident DL will be open, but I don’t really want to wear a mask then (I’m assuming I’ll have had both shots and show antibodies). I may just need to postpone until 2022.

This is what I am hoping. I know Disney (all theme parks) are keeping a close eye on the numbers.

I’m also planning a summer trip, but am having a hard time. I expect (overly optimistic?) most folks who want the vaccine will be able to get it by July/August. I am pretty confident DL will be open, but I don’t really want to wear a mask then (I’m assuming I’ll have had both shots and show antibodies). I may just need to postpone until 2022.

Lots of the speculation over on the WDW board thinks the mask requirement at Disney will be around the longest as opposed to other businesses. Disney will want to play it safe for as long as possible and then I’m sure the unions will have input too. It’s so hard to predict!

That’s actually why I’m going back and forth on WDW in summer if Disneyland (sob) isn’t open.. if masks are required I’m not sure we could do it in that summer heat there. California weather would much be easier to manage.. They really didn’t bother me on the days it wasn’t super hot. But the one hot day we had... oof, that was tough.

I think that’s what’s so hard for those of us that love to plan.. you really can’t right now.

Lots of the speculation over on the WDW board thinks the mask requirement at Disney will be around the longest as opposed to other businesses. Disney will want to play it safe for as long as possible and then I’m sure the unions will have input too. It’s so hard to predict!

That’s actually why I’m going back and forth on WDW in summer if Disneyland (sob) isn’t open.. if masks are required I’m not sure we could do it in that summer heat there. California weather would much be easier to manage.. They really didn’t bother me on the days it wasn’t super hot. But the one hot day we had... oof, that was tough.

I think that’s what’s so hard for those of us that love to plan.. you really can’t right now.
I don't think anyone knows yet how that will go. A lot of it depends on the booking public once we hit critical mass with immunizations. If people hold off booking because of the mask requirement, then Disney will want to push to drop it.

If CMs get immunized in large numbers and feel protected, they might be more motivated to negotiate for dropping the mask requirement in their contract.

So OC is still going the wrong direction!!! Just checked the state site for weekly numbers and updates.

OC:
  • Positivity Rate = 10.6%
  • Cases per 100K = 30.3 (both regular and adjusted case rates
LA:
  • Positivity Rate = 8.7%
  • Cases per 100K = 41.8 (26.9 adjusted for tier assignment)
I can't believe 2 months ago we were looking towards orange and now it is worse than it has ever been. And how fast it is skyrocketing.

And still going the wrong way this week on the state site for the weekly metrics! Continuing to jump by a lot week over week.

OC:
    • Positivity Rate = 13.2% (Health Equity Quartile Rate = 18.8%)
    • Cases per 100K = 55.2 (42.7 adjusted for tier assignment)
  • LA:
    • Positivity Rate = 11.4% (Health Equity Quartile Rate = 17.0%)
    • Cases per 100K = 84.4 (42.2 adjusted for tier assignment)
The statewide cases per 100K is at 63.9 with an 11.3% positivity rate and ICU availability at 5.7%.

Stay safe my local Disneyland friends!

I keep up with this thread because my best friend lives out in Pasadena and I've been trying to plan a trip to see her when all of this is over with a trip to DLR of course. I'm just curious about how those of you living in California feel about [mod edit] the lock downs and not reopening safely like Orlando did? What is the general consensus out there? Do you think it's over the top or justified? Does it seem that most people are complying with ... stay at home orders? That's an awful lot of people to try and corral so I wondered if it was next to impossible to get people to comply or if people were genuinely fearful and staying home for this amount of time?
I'm very sad for the people that work in the parks and all of the businesses around there. I don't know how they are going to survive. It was bad enough on businesses here on the East coast being closed for a couple of months, but I can't even wrap my mind around half the year!

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep up with this thread because my best friend lives out in Pasadena and I've been trying to plan a trip to see her when all of this is over with a trip to DLR of course. I'm just curious about how those of you living in California feel about [mod edit] the lock downs and not reopening safely like Orlando did? What is the general consensus out there? Do you think it's over the top or justified? Does it seem that most people are complying with ... stay at home orders? That's an awful lot of people to try and corral so I wondered if it was next to impossible to get people to comply or if people were genuinely fearful and staying home for this amount of time?
I'm very sad for the people that work in the parks and all of the businesses around there. I don't know how they are going to survive. It was bad enough on businesses here on the East coast being closed for a couple of months, but I can't even wrap my mind around half the year!
Cruise through the last few pages of this superthread to get a feel for how people (from northern, central, and southern CA -- this is a huge state!) feel about what's going on. We try to stay away from politics in this thread, so it's best not to ask too specifically about that.

One of my best friends has a son in the hospital in OC as we speak. He's in critical condition with covid-19 and they're trying experimental protocols to save him. His daughter tested positive 2 days ago and is on a breathing machine (she's 17). His wife is ok and has no symptoms as of now but they aren't testing her since she would have to do the same things she's doing now anyway; they told her to assume she's positive. The pressure is intense. Can you imagine your whole family being dangerously ill? Here in CA, the numbers are very high and it's no longer something on the news for many of us, it's knowing people personally who have/had it. I live in Northern CA and have family who work at the hospital. The stories are scary, even in my small town. Our numbers jumped by 662 (new positives) last weekend and we're a small county with a population of 219,000. I personally don't think there's any such thing as opening up Disneyland safely at this point, in part because there are so many people who don't take the pandemic seriously but also because the numbers are too high to make it safe. I'm hopeful that vaccination will get us to a safer place and then we can consider reopening. I also don't trust the reporting from Florida that claim no adverse affects from reopening WDW because there is no way to know that without any form of contact tracing. Maybe it's safe, maybe not, but at any rate CA's park is much more compact, plus it's directly surrounded by the city of Anaheim so I'm not sure you can really put them in the same category as far as reopening safely.

I’m not in CA, but AZ so driving distance. I think In Sept/Oct, I was like cmon already! Now.... It feels like an unnecessary risk to take, as much as I’d love to go. We are having 5,000-7,000 new cases a day here. I teach First grade and am very grateful we have stayed in person, but also thankful for Winter Break to hunker down a bit. I do hope that when things are bette, theme parks move up the reopening list, rather than be at the bottom.

I live in OC. I still don't personally even know anyone who has had the virus. I am mostly staying home. Definitely not hanging out with others and "gathering." I believe this virus is a real threat and I behave accordingly, although I did go get my haircut Tuesday in violation of "the rules" because I wanted to support a small business and a person who I very deeply care about as a person and family provider. I don't think closing hair salons was necessary or fair.

I think the lockdown and stay at home orders are over the top. What CA has done has NOT worked, and I fully believe it is because the governor was TOO strict. It is a well known psychological phenomenon that being overly restrictive leads to rebellious behavior. Plus, when the person making the rules gets caught not following his own advice, all credibility goes out the window. The situation in CA and the rest of the country right now is, frankly, due to a simple lack of effective leadership, and that is all I will say about that.

I cannot believe Disneyland has been closed this long and I honestly believe if it were open, it would provide a safer place for people to go and spend time together than indoors in a house with no masks. Keeping it closed has been a big mistake.

I'm a CA native. I have worked on-and-off at Disneyland (and Knotts and Universal) since high school. I make my living in live entertainment. In addition I've been to WDW since the lockdown.
I'm just curious about how those of you living in California feel about [mod edit] the lock downs and not reopening safely like Orlando did? What is the general consensus out there? Do you think it's over the top or justified?
I don't feel comfortable expressing much of my opinion here. The mods are pretty strict about what words we can and cannot use so I'll just say; I think it's over-the-top that Disneyland isn't allowed to reopen. The World was safe - from transportation to hotels to lines to restaurants - all CM'a and 95% of the guests took saftey seriously. I know Disneyland could be the same.
Does it seem that most people are complying with his stay at home orders? That's an awful lot of people to try and corral so I wondered if it was next to impossible to get people to comply or if people were genuinely fearful and staying home for this amount of time?
The stay at home order doesn't seem to be working here in Los Angeles. People are out and about, but they are all being cautious - wearing masks and social distancing. Some restaurants have defied the order and are serving outdoors - several in Pasadena where your friend is - and they are packed with hours long waits to get in. However, there is genuine fear here. In the more rural parts of CA there aren't enough people around to really need to "stay and home".
We don't know how we're going to survive, either. We just reached nine months. Restaurants are shut down, then allowed to open, then shut down, then open for outdoor dining, then shut down. The employees of local theme parks are hurting. Not enough open jobs outside of their usual work. And it looks like we won't be open until April - and that's an optimistic hope.

Last edited:
I keep up with this thread because my best friend lives out in Pasadena and I've been trying to plan a trip to see her when all of this is over with a trip to DLR of course. I'm just curious about how those of you living in California feel about [mod edit] the lock downs and not reopening safely like Orlando did? What is the general consensus out there? Do you think it's over the top or justified? Does it seem that most people are complying with his stay at home orders? That's an awful lot of people to try and corral so I wondered if it was next to impossible to get people to comply or if people were genuinely fearful and staying home for this amount of time?
I'm in LA, which has basically been the "problem" area of California the entire time. Everyone seems to be following rules with masks and distancing, so I'm not sure there is more to be done...In regards to the shutdowns, I wish it were more targeted. For instance, if a certain business isn't following protocol, they should close, not an entire sector. I really wish the closures weren't so sweeping as it is forcing people indoors or to rebel. Even though it may look bad for places like theme parks to be open, at least if people go they are following strict rules.

I've known of 4 people (2 friends and 2 family members) who have had the virus. Thankfully they all had very mild cases and are totally fine. I work from home. But outside of that I only really go to the grocery store and my outdoor barre class. Many of my friends work in healthcare so they are being super careful and not hanging out as they have a high exposure risk.

I'm being cautious and following the rules. I wish more places were open to spread out people and that rulebreakers received consequences instead of the businesses who are doing their best to comply with ever changing guidelines.

That said, I know several people who have died from Covid. One of the kids I used to take care of (he's in his 20s now) was in critical care and intubated. His twin tested positive but did not get as sick as him. About 8 people in my office have had it, thankfully only one was seriously ill. Tests are scheduled regularly since positive cases for our entire department have been increasing by double digits everyday.

Vaccine related re: Disneyland’s reopening.

Colorado released their vaccine timeline today with the general public over the age of 18 not receiving their first vaccine dose until summer, spring for high risk folks, winter for health care workers/nursing homes.

I imagine that will be similar to most states based on the availability we’re projected to have. So if a big chunk of the population isn’t getting it until the earliest in spring and the latest summer (no mention yet for CO when kids get it- I imagine after adults? in fall?) then woof... if Newsom is holding the vaccine as the must have for things to reopen for Disneyland we might be looking at a long, long road. Unless he sticks to the tiers when we get past this surge (when... or if?) and doesn’t bring vaccines into it at all?

I’m going to shoot for Disneyland xmas 2021 and do the ole WDW route again in summer I guess. I keep going back and forth with the awesome off-site hotel deals being offered in Anaheim but it’s hard to decide where to put your money if you’re planning. 😞 Disneyland, I miss you so! This just really sucks.
Hey Tiki, I just poke my head in every now and then, but wanted to comment that there is no timeline for children because the vaccine hasn’t been tested on them. The best timeline for children to get the vaccine is another 1-2 years, because they are *just* starting to organize trials for them. However, the Pfizer vaccine is approved for 16+. I don’t know about Moderna. The hope is that enough adults get the vaccine to create at least a partial protective herd immunity for children, plus the adults can protect themselves FROM children and children as a group are less affected themselves.

But, I completely agree with your timeline. We have shelved Disneyland completely until 2022. It’s too big of a trip with too much stuff to plan for our family to try and do it spur-of-the-moment, and there’s no way to plan in advance. But, we are planning on gifting our son a trip to Universal for Grinchmas next Christmas, or, possibly, returning to Legoland which we can do with our eyes closed and requires zero planning. But I think California theme parks in summer 2021 is a very uncertain prospect.

Hey Tiki, I just poke my head in every now and then, but wanted to comment that there is no timeline for children because the vaccine hasn’t been tested on them. The best timeline for children to get the vaccine is another 1-2 years, because they are *just* starting to organize trials for them. However, the Pfizer vaccine is approved for 16+. I don’t know about Moderna. The hope is that enough adults get the vaccine to create at least a partial protective herd immunity for children, plus the adults can protect themselves FROM children and children as a group are less affected themselves.

But, I completely agree with your timeline. We have shelved Disneyland completely until 2022. It’s too big of a trip with too much stuff to plan for our family to try and do it spur-of-the-moment, and there’s no way to plan in advance. But, we are planning on gifting our son a trip to Universal for Grinchmas next Christmas, or, possibly, returning to Legoland which we can do with our eyes closed and requires zero planning. But I think California theme parks in summer 2021 is a very uncertain prospect.
Hey, @EmJ -- very good to see you posting here! Hope all is going well with you and your family. Pixie dust and fingers crossed that a DLR trip in 2022 comes to fruition and is as magical as it should be!

Reactions: EmJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter