Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

Another thought on how this
The list includes closing family entertainment centers, zoos and museums. All of those would appear to be similar (in some part or another) to parts of Disneyland. If they can't open, then I would imagine Disneyland can't open either.

Exactly this. Also, how would the Governor justify closing small businesses like hair and nail salons but then say Disneyland is ok to open. Think of the optics of that.

I have so many Disney memories missing a year or two is really not something that will bother me. California is closing not opening up and when it does reopen it will be slow and methodical.

Our September trip is canceled :sad: The rest of our payment for our DVC rental is due July 25. I'm sitting here debating if we should cancel now and be out the initial payment but not lose the rest, or go ahead and pay it and hope that they're still closed come September so that we can reschedule for free. If we gamble and they're open we lose the whole rental amount 😭 . Anyone want to speculate on when they'll be opening to help me decide?
I have almost the identical situation except that if it is open in Sept (13-17) we will go. Final payment due July 30. Did you rent through "DVC Rental Store"? Did they tell you they will refund/reschedule you if things are still closed then? They have only told me that "if the resort is open for your travel dates, then the rental agreement is intact". Which means no refund if I cancel. But they did not say anything about a refund if the resort is not open.
In my case, if such a refund is possible in case of closure, then I will definitely make the final payment. That way we either go in September, or have a rescheduled trip later. Please confirm if that is what you have been told by the DVC Rental Store.
Then again, I don't have tickets yet, so that's another question mark.

I have almost the identical situation except that if it is open in Sept (13-17) we will go. Final payment due July 30. Did you rent through "DVC Rental Store"? Did they tell you they will refund/reschedule you if things are still closed then? They have only told me that "if the resort is open for your travel dates, then the rental agreement is intact". Which means no refund if I cancel. But they did not say anything about a refund if the resort is not open.
In my case, if such a refund is possible in case of closure, then I will definitely make the final payment. That way we either go in September, or have a rescheduled trip later. Please confirm if that is what you have been told by the DVC Rental Store.
Then again, I don't have tickets yet, so that's another question mark.

Yes, we rented from DVC Rental Store.

In an email on June 1, they said "In the event that Disney announces closures that impact your specific dates of travel, we will contact you with possible options, but at this time I am not able to speculate on what those might be."

However, their website says "For those Guests who haven’t been made aware already we have created a DVC Rental Store Credit Solution. Any Guest with a qualifying reservation who has not received a full refund, or has not rescheduled their reservation and has been affected by a DVC RESORT closure, up to a Check in Date of June 21st, will be issued a credit based on the amount of payment received, less any refunds already given. The amount, life, and how these credits can be used will be shared with each Guest in the coming days."

I have an email in asking the specific question about what happens if we pay it off and then the resort is closed, but haven't heard back yet. I'll let you know when I do.

Whatever man. Just, whatever. That’s how I feel right now. Just venting here a bit. Hope you’ll allow me to do so. So over all this.
Right there with you too. Bars, indoor dining - I get it. Opening gyms seemed risky. My office "open concept" and I was not cpmfortable going back there. Spread in those instances is well documented and you are not wearing masks when you are eating and drinking or working out (and I am certainly not OK wearing a mask all day sitting at a desk when I don't have to). It's the barbers and hair salons I don't get. It seems punitive.

I've said this both here and on the cruise line boards.

I can't believe that places like Disney are open when schools aren't.

In terms of prioritization, schools HAVE to be higher than almost everything!

I'm a teacher and I have to disagree a little bit here. In schools, kids are packed to the gills inside classrooms. There is absolutely no way to social distance. Another big concern is the recommendation from the California Department of Public Health in regards to schools that "“Students should be encouraged to use cloth face coverings." Encouraged, not required.

They do this because they do not want to discipline students for not wearing them. What do they do if a student doesn't wear a mask? Or takes the mask on and off throughout the class period?" This is a huge debate right now between my district and the union. The district wants us to just ask they put them back on and then maybe call home. That's it, even though their refusal to wear a mask presents an immediate threat to me and the other students.

Disney on the other hand can remove patrons who do not follow the rules. I have no such ability in my classroom.

So there is a big difference in the control of the space between the two with Disney winning that one easily hands down.

I am on the fence about these closures. I am an economists daughter, and my heart bleeds for people out of work, loosing their jobs, their businesses and their livelihoods. But I also recognize that hospitals may become overwhelmed. No easy answer.

Last edited:
Whatever man. Just, whatever. That’s how I feel right now. Just venting here a bit. Hope you’ll allow me to do so. So over all this.

It sounds counterintuitive, but something that helps me is to try to put all of this in perspective by embracing it as an opportunity to fully live the human experience. Up until 100 years ago or so the reality of deadly disease was a constant element of daily life for all humans. Nobody expected all of their children to live to adulthood. Disease killed more soldiers than combat. Fear and suffering were ordinary, not special. We have lost touch with all of that. Now maybe this will help us remember.

I think it will be very interesting to return to DL with a deeper understanding of what life was truly like for the people who lived in the history that the parks idealize. All of them fought lifelong battles against invisible enemies. We can keep fighting for another year or two if that's what it takes!

Seeing more negative reports of mask enforcement at WDW. Not making me feel too good about visiting when things reopen. I wonder how much the enforcement will vary between parks? Or even guest behavior based of Florida vs. California locals?

I just hope folks that love Disney would have the good sense to realize they’re risking its ability to stay open by not listening? Maybe when DL opens we’ll be so grateful people will respect it? Or not... haha.

Thinking of pushing my Sept trip to Nov. I keep wondering (hoping?) that once summer ends and routine is back on (in whatever form they will be for kids) that all these ‘ce la vie summer!’ carelessness will subside a little and we may see some improvement.

Seeing more negative reports of mask enforcement at WDW. Not making me feel too good about visiting when things reopen. I wonder how much the enforcement will vary between parks? Or even guest behavior based of Florida vs. California locals?

I just hope folks that love Disney would have the good sense to realize they’re risking its ability to stay open by not listening? Maybe when DL opens we’ll be so grateful people will respect it? Or not... haha.

Thinking of pushing my Sept trip to Nov. I keep wondering (hoping?) that once summer ends and routine is back on (in whatever form they will be for kids) that all these ‘ce la vie summer!’ carelessness will subside a little and we may see some improvement.
Same. Isn’t Epcot open today? Maybe it’s the eating and drinking situation where people aren’t wearing it while holding food

Same. Isn’t Epcot open today? Maybe it’s the eating and drinking situation where people aren’t wearing it while holding food

Yes, that’s probably part of it. But I’ve seen more than one person post on DIS and Instagram that people are seeing guests take off their masks on rides. They quickly put them back on when the ride stops but this is is hugely concerning based on what we know about droplets lingering in the air which may also expose any riders behind said ride vehicle if that person has covid. Especially if they’re screaming/singing/etc. I sing to myself on rides, I’m sure I’m not the only one. 😎

But they’ve got to nip that in the bud quick that’s a huge risk.

Yes, that’s probably part of it. But I’ve seen more than one person post on DIS and Instagram that people are seeing guests take off their masks on rides. They quickly put them back on when the ride stops but this is is hugely concerning based on what we know about droplets lingering in the air which may also expose any riders behind said ride vehicle if that person has covid. Especially if they’re screaming/singing/etc. I sing to myself on rides, I’m sure I’m not the only one. 😎

But they’ve got to nip that in the bud quick that’s a huge risk.
Uh oh! Not good! I wonder how they will address that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter