Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

I think there will be some sort of equitable treatment based on pass level by Disney, I can't imagine a $1000+ pass having the same level of service as a $700 pass.

The key for me is the # of consecutive days someone can book, as that will determine all manner of hotel stays and travel. I basically have two sets of flights and two hotels booked accounting for either 1 full day in park, or two.

This is me. I have like 20 reservations on booking dot com over the next 6 months, to cover all the different options. I have a Flex pass, and I would be fine with the extension just being tacked on the end as long as I am allowed to book two days at a time during the reservation period, but coming from 6-7 hours out of state, it would be frustrating to be using my "pass" time and only be able to book one day at a time. It would be very frustrating for those that paid much more for their passes though! I just wish they'd get the info out there... I'm going to be off the grid Wednesday evening through Saturday (15 minute drive to cell reception), and I'm terrified that that's when they're going to announce details AND open the reservation system... If they announce it several days before, I can leave my husband with specific times/instructions for him to try to get me an opening day reservation. But if the reservation period starts with the announcement, he might not see it for a day or two, since he's not obsessed like me... Ah, first world problems.

Questions for those with AP's that don't like having to reserve days or that are afraid of not being able to reserve multiple days would you be okay with them keeping AP's frozen until the reservation period is over (which could be another year or more) but having to buy day tickets to go to the park in the mean time?

Questions for those with AP's that don't like having to reserve days or that are afraid of not being able to reserve multiple days would you be okay with them keeping AP's frozen until the reservation period is over (which could be another year or more) but having to buy day tickets to go to the park in the mean time?

I'm not sure. Maybe. The four month extension is a good one already. I would probably still want to keep my pass and just feel that it's unfair and be frustrated, hahaha! It's a long drive for one day at Disney though, and I'd feel like I needed a 2 night hotel stay, which is more expensive. Right now if I want to escape for a weekend without kids, I can drive super early on a Friday and spend 11/12 on in the park, then spend one night at a hotel and wake up and spend the first half of the next day before heading home about 2-3 pm.

This is me. I have like 20 reservations on booking dot com over the next 6 months, to cover all the different options. I have a Flex pass, and I would be fine with the extension just being tacked on the end as long as I am allowed to book two days at a time during the reservation period, but coming from 6-7 hours out of state, it would be frustrating to be using my "pass" time and only be able to book one day at a time. It would be very frustrating for those that paid much more for their passes though! I just wish they'd get the info out there... I'm going to be off the grid Wednesday evening through Saturday (15 minute drive to cell reception), and I'm terrified that that's when they're going to announce details AND open the reservation system... If they announce it several days before, I can leave my husband with specific times/instructions for him to try to get me an opening day reservation. But if the reservation period starts with the announcement, he might not see it for a day or two, since he's not obsessed like me... Ah, first world problems.

Surely you have an equally Disney obsessed friend you can trust credentials to, yes?

I just wonder the exact execution of this. Either they need to build an entirely new system, or they just essentially turn every AP into a Flex pass so it looks seamless on the app.

I have all the questions!

Sorry I haven’t been following Shanghai. Are their pass expirations frozen and they are still able to get reservations or do they have to buy tickets?

Surely you have an equally Disney obsessed friend you can trust credentials to, yes?

I just wonder the exact execution of this. Either they need to build an entirely new system, or they just essentially turn every AP into a Flex pass so it looks seamless on the app.

I have all the questions!

My husband has gotten ROTR passes with me, and he's very technologically savvy. It's a lot of pressure for him though, haha! But if we know the date/ time it's going live, and either he or I attempt, we'll either get them or not, you know? If not, I also have reservations the last week of July I will try for. You're right though, I should find someone to message him if news/reservations go live while I'm gone... Or add him to some of the DL groups on FB temporarily, haha. Hopefully we'll have some news before we leave Wednesday at noon (the 17th) so I don't stress as much. If I know when it's going to happen, I can drive to cell reception, too. So many questions indeed! At least WDW will open first, so we'll get a look at what procedures will probably be more specifically.

One way they can make the Sig+/Sig passes retain their value during the reservation period is to allow them to hold more reservations at a time. I have heard that Shanghai only allows one per 7 day period. They can make that the rule for Flex, and allow higher levels to hold more.

Another thing they could do is allow Sig+/Sig to come same day, subject to capacity. So, on any given day, hold back a number of slots for higher level APs who can make a same day reservation. The app can indicate whether or not same day slots are available. Flex holders would not be allowed to do same day reservations.

Just a couple thoughts.

One way they can make the Sig+/Sig passes retain their value during the reservation period is to allow them to hold more reservations at a time. I have heard that Shanghai only allows one per 7 day period. They can make that the rule for Flex, and allow higher levels to hold more.

Another thing they could do is allow Sig+/Sig to come same day, subject to capacity. So, on any given day, hold back a number of slots for higher level APs who can make a same day reservation. The app can indicate whether or not same day slots are available. Flex holders would not be allowed to do same day reservations.

Just a couple thoughts.
Those things would be steps in the right direction. I still think the best alternative for pass holders is to follow the Shanghai model and not have the reservation period count against days remaining on your AP.

They could split the difference and give AP holders an option, (1) AP is good during reservation period but the clock starts running on your AP, or (2) AP is not valid for reservation period and clock does not start running. That would at least give people a choice. But with the still-ongoing confusion about extension versus refund, I doubt they would add even another choice on top.

If they start the clock on APs but limit me to one day per seven days, they're taking away a lot of "Good to Go" days that I would have been able to go otherwise. That devalues the pass, and I would be very unhappy with that.

Last edited:
If they limit me to one day per seven days, they're taking away a lot of "Good to Go" days that I would have been able to go otherwise. That devalues the pass, and I would have a strong objection to that.
Would you be okay with your pass being frozen but having to pay for day tickets?

Not sure if this was mentioned. But Hong Kong Disneyland will reopen June 18. They will also have a mask policy, limited capacity, and reserved ticketing. Does anyone know how Hong Kong's operations align with Shanghai's?

I got a reservation for Hong Kong Disneyland reopening on June 18th. No idea if the process will be the same for California but just for reference of what it may be like:
  1. login. code sent to email
  2. captcha and enter annual pass details
  3. select date and get confirmation email
Only ONE reservation is allowed for annual passholders at a time so annual passholders will only be able to go once per week assuming all the reservations get taken. Looks like they will have a one week rolling window for reservations. Since California expects more out of town visitors, I think it would be more likely they allow 2 reservations per annual pass like with the flex pass.

Not sure if this was mentioned. But Hong Kong Disneyland will reopen June 18. They will also have a mask policy, limited capacity, and reserved ticketing. Does anyone know how Hong Kong's operations align with Shanghai's?

here is their bit about APs:

• All guests are required to reserve their visit beginning 7 days prior to arrival. Magic Access members can reserve 1 day in advance, beginning from Jun 15, 2020 and reservations for other guests will begin at 12 p.m. on Jun 16, 2020. Learn more.
Their AP extension info isn’t super useful for DLR, but they are extending for the duration of the closure PLUS 30 days.

Would you be okay with your pass being frozen but having to pay for day tickets?

I would probably be OK with that because the way things are now, I don't think I'll be spending much time at the parks until things are a little more back to normal. So if I have to buy a couple of day tickets for a trip in August or September, but I get more months added on next year, that might work out better.

Edited to add: I guess it would definitely work out better than if they were counting the AP days, but then I had to buy a separate ticket anyway to get more than one day in a week!

Last edited:
I got a reservation for Hong Kong Disneyland reopening on June 18th. No idea if the process will be the same for California but just for reference of what it may be like:
  1. login. code sent to email
  2. captcha and enter annual pass details
  3. select date and get confirmation email
Only ONE reservation is allowed for annual passholders at a time so annual passholders will only be able to go once per week assuming all the reservations get taken. Looks like they will have a one week rolling window for reservations. Since California expects more out of town visitors, I think it would be more likely they allow 2 reservations per annual pass like with the flex pass.
Interesting. That would really stink for us flying in for 6 days if we could only get into the park for 2 of them. :-(

Interesting. That would really stink for us flying in for 6 days if we could only get into the park for 2 of them. :-(
I'm in the same predicament, but still remaining hopeful that DL will find a good solution that takes into account all the tier levels of APs.

here is their bit about APs:

• All guests are required to reserve their visit beginning 7 days prior to arrival. Magic Access members can reserve 1 day in advance, beginning from Jun 15, 2020 and reservations for other guests will begin at 12 p.m. on Jun 16, 2020. Learn more.
Their AP extension info isn’t super useful for DLR, but they are extending for the duration of the closure PLUS 30 days.
Does Hong Kong have onsite hotels and/or presold multiday tickets?

ETA: Actually, I see you said that was about APs. So my question probably isn’t relevant to that information.

Does Hong Kong have onsite hotels and/or presold multiday tickets?

ETA: Actually, I see you said that was about APs. So my question probably isn’t relevant to that information.
they have 2 or 3 on site hotels

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter