Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

It’s frustrating when we know DLR can open safely despite these external factors. If they could do it in Florida with the cases they had going, DL can do it no problem.

The biggest difference between DLR and DW is the surrounding area. Orange County FL and Orange County CA are roughly the same size geographically, but the population in Orange County CA is almost three times the size of FL. That’s an extra two million people. I think one of the concerns is how quickly an outbreak of the virus will spread in that densely populated area when a large attraction like Disneyland opens and starts pulling in people from areas that don’t have the virus under control. And when that happens, does Disneyland shutdown again?

I live in San Diego and we had a HUGE influx of tourists from surrounding areas when our county had the virus somewhat under control and started opening up in July. Then everything had to be shut down again. Now that we are the only county in Southern California with more things open than the surrounding areas (with college campuses open and a holiday weekend on top of it all), I fully expect us to be moved back to purple within a week or two of this weekend.

The biggest difference between DLR and DW is the surrounding area. Orange County FL and Orange County CA are roughly the same size geographically, but the population in Orange County CA is almost three times the size of FL. That’s an extra two million people. I think one of the concerns is how quickly an outbreak of the virus will spread in that densely populated area when a large attraction like Disneyland opens and starts pulling in people from areas that don’t have the virus under control. And when that happens, does Disneyland shutdown again?

I live in San Diego and we had a HUGE influx of tourists from surrounding areas when our county had the virus somewhat under control and started opening up in July. Then everything had to be shut down again. Now that we are the only county in Southern California with more things open than the surrounding areas (with college campuses open and a holiday weekend on top of it all), I fully expect us to be moved back to purple within a week or two of this weekend.
DL and WDW have two very big differences they need to consider;
  1. WDW is mostly travellers, DL is mostly (local) AP holders. The majority of guests at WDW are there for the week while the majority of DL guests are there for the day. Meaning that nearly the entirety of the DL/DCA guests are unique every day, while it's the same group of people all week at WDW. Also, WDW guest have put a lot into being there and are more willing to follow the protocols, while DL...is in Orange County. You kinda have to experience them both to understand the nuances. Still, it is Disney - no doubt they have a plan for that and can overcome it.
  2. DeSantis gave the green light to the theme parks early on and gave his unconditional support to keep the parks open at their own discretion throughout. Newsom has not. Could the parks be shut down with a local spike in CV? That's a distinct possibility. We know that did not happen in WDW.

Also, WDW guest have put a lot into being there and are more willing to follow the protocols, while DL...is in Orange County. You kinda have to experience them both to understand the nuances. Still, it is Disney - no doubt they have a plan for that and can overcome it.
So far it seems like guests have been respectful of the rules at DTD. Hope it stays that way. I've seen CM's ask people to cover their noses, not wear valve masks, or bandanas, and haven't seen any pushback.

1. WDW is mostly travellers, DL is mostly (local) AP holders. The majority of guests at WDW are there for the week while the majority of DL guests are there for the day. Meaning that nearly the entirety of the DL/DCA guests are unique every day, while it's the same group of people all week at WDW. Also, WDW guest have put a lot into being there and are more willing to follow the protocols, while DL...is in Orange County. You kinda have to experience them both to understand the nuances. Still, it is Disney - no doubt they have a plan for that and can overcome it.
  2. DeSantis gave the green light to the theme parks early on and gave his unconditional support to keep the parks open at their own discretion throughout. Newsom has not. Could the parks be shut down with a local spike in CV? That's a distinct possibility. We know that did not happen in WDW.
Both of these! Also, DLR is only 6.5 miles away from the LA County line with a significant portion of their guests coming from there. LA County has half the population of the entire state of Florida and is a major coronavirus hotspot, especially due to higher density living and income inequalities. Trying to compare the two resorts and situations is really unfair and bound to cause disappointment!

I agree. I think the area surrounding both DLR and Universal Studios is being taken into consideration by Newsom more than DLR’s safety plans, and I don’t think WDW’s success can be used solely as a case to open DLR. Orange County CA has a couple extra million people. And Los Angeles where Universal Studios is located has even more. The people that work at and near the resorts live in densely populated areas, many in living situations that are ripe for virus spread (multi-generational homes, roommates, etc). I don’t think Newsom’s concerns lie with DLR’s safety precautions, I think they are with the surrounding areas that also benefit from and are impacted by the park’s traffic. And the consequences of an outbreak spreading quickly through a densely populated area. If every hotel and restaurant in the area follows the exact same precautions that DLR does, then there will be minimal spread. But at least one hotel in that area had already proven they are not enforcing social distancing with large groups gathering at their pool.

Last edited:
Reminder: This is not the thread to discuss COVID, public health stats, opinions about those stats, politics, opinions about those politics and politicians, etc. if those topics don't relate to DLR's reopening. And if you know that your post is off topic, do not post. If your post is off topic, it will be deleted.
Please keep your posts respectful, non-argumentative, and non-dismissive toward each other. Argumentative posts will be deleted.
For those who are working to keep this thread on topic and keep the discussion respectful and balanced, a BIG thank you!

Someone mentioned a reservation cancelled for 9/24. Has anyone else had Disney cancel a reservation for a date later than that?
I have a reservation at GCH (not DVC) for 9/22-9/25. So far, I've not received a cancellation notice. I originally had it for April and have moved it twice after receiving cancellation notices.

I have a reservation at GCH (not DVC) for 9/22-9/25. So far, I've not received a cancellation notice. I originally had it for April and have moved it twice after receiving cancellation notices.
I’m in that time period too. No notices.

I'm hoping everyone is right and the horses are a sign of progress, however it is possible it is more mundane than that. I know of several service dogs who, because of Covid, haven't been going out in public and therefore haven't been wearing their equipment. When they finally did go somewhere, the dog took some getting used to of wearing the vest because they were out of practice. It's possible they are walking the horses down MS, even with equipment on, so when the time comes they don't have issues reaclimating the horses again.

On the other hand, maybe it means DL will open next week.. Hey, I can hope, right?

I'm hoping everyone is right and the horses are a sign of progress, however it is possible it is more mundane than that. I know of several service dogs who, because of Covid, haven't been going out in public and therefore haven't been wearing their equipment. When they finally did go somewhere, the dog took some getting used to of wearing the vest because they were out of practice. It's possible they are walking the horses down MS, even with equipment on, so when the time comes they don't have issues reaclimating the horses again.

On the other hand, maybe it means DL will open next week.. Hey, I can hope, right?

Yeah, this is likely just keeping the horses in shape and acclimated to their workplaces. I am willing to bet this has been going on this whole closure.

Yeah, this is likely just keeping the horses in shape and acclimated to their workplaces. I am willing to bet this has been going on this whole closure.
I've spent some time around draft horses. Getting a matched pair to work together is no easy task, so yes, I think there is some truth to this. OTOH, Disney knows they are being watched and rarely do anything without a reason. Turning the lights back on and having CMs at the DCA gates would fall in the same category.

I would love to take it as a sign of getting closer to reopening, but I'm starting to give up hope. I just don't think Newsom is going to let it happen in any meaningful way anytime soon.
That said, the horses no longer live on property and need to be brought in. So would they do that just to get them used to equipment again.

https://insidethemagic.net/2020/09/disneyland-matterhorn-attraction-inspection-ba1/
This made me excited- not that I can see much beyond a white blob moving around up there 🤣

The DCA Wheel of Death was rumored to be having refurb work done on it so I can’t get excited about that being spotted moving but a blob on the Matterhorn? Apparently that’s what floats my Disney boat!

ETA: upon further review of the footage it’s also possible Harold just decided it was time for a stroll

I've given up trying to 'read the signs' of every movement behind the turnstiles, sigh. For each 'reported sighting' that made me think "Here we go!" there's been an alternate explanation that ends up being more 'reasonable' once the initial excitement wears off.

I'm lucky enough that my attitude 'works' for me because I can drive down at the drop of the hat and have a 'ready made' place to stay. I really feel for those who have to juggle work and school schedules and/or make travel reservations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter