Disneyland Questions from First Timers Disney Fans

3) How to get from L.A. to Anaheim?

Now that you have to take a shuttle to the ride share pickup...Lansky’s
Uber/lyft on the way to LAX.

4) Best quick service restaurants (one from each park)

French market DL
Boardwalk pizza & pasta DCA

5) Best table service restaurants (one from each park)

Blue Bayou DL
None DCA

6) Is 4 days (2 each park) enough?
You can always upgrade to 5.

I both agree and disagree with this. That is, I’d say that DL has far more magic than DW. For one, it’s the original park. 2. Walt built and walked in it. 3. There’s real history there. I’ve been to DW twice. I’ve been to DL at least 160 times. Also, I’ve been to all six of the Disney parks in the world. DL is by far my favorite. I’ve no doubt that you’ll love it.

Absolutely agree with this.

In very preliminary stages of płanning a July 2021 trip to DL. Our youngest graduates high & turns 18. Thus thread has been awesome! So while I'm not the OP just wanted to say thank you!

Just want to emphasize one point that several have made but might be lost in all of this great info:

STRONGLY consider flying into SNA, LGB or one of the other regional airports, rather than LAX. They are geographically closer to DLR, so your travel time is much shorter, there is less traffic to deal with in general since it is a shorter distance, and security lines tend to be very short at the smaller airports on your return. We will spend more to fly into SNA rather than LAX. As well, your transportation from SNA or other regional airports will be less expensive since these airports are so much closer to DLR than LAX.

Whenever anyone asks this question (and that's a lot), I always think, "Enough for what?"

Enough to experience all of the major attractions and feel like you've "been to" Disneyland? Yes, it's long enough.
Enough to see and experience everything Disneyland has to offer? Not even close!
Enough to leave feeling like you've done most of what you hoped to do? It's barely long enough for that.
Enough that you're "Disneyed out" for awhile? Nope, you'll be itching to go back before your plane touches down.

For me, the question is, "How long can you afford to spend at Disneyland?" Both in terms of money and vacation time. If that's four days, then four days is the right amount of time for you. But if you have five days available and you can afford it, don't cut it back to four days because you think five might be too many.

AGREE! My son and I average 8 days on our trips to DL. But there are things we STILL haven't done! IF I lived in LA I would be there weekly. you are going to have so much fun!

Just want to emphasize one point that several have made but might be lost in all of this great info:

STRONGLY consider flying into SNA, LGB or one of the other regional airports, rather than LAX. They are geographically closer to DLR, so your travel time is much shorter, there is less traffic to deal with in general since it is a shorter distance, and security lines tend to be very short at the smaller airports on your return. We will spend more to fly into SNA rather than LAX. As well, your transportation from SNA or other regional airports will be less expensive since these airports are so much closer to DLR than LAX.
Unfortunately we already got our flight tickets and we only got the LAX option when we planned from the company.
plus we're doing 3 days in L.A. before Disneyland in Anaheim so we would be in L.A. anyways.
I'm going to try to decide which one is better, lyft/uber (it has to be XL because of the baggae) or shuttles.

Unfortunately we already got our flight tickets and we only got the LAX option when we planned from the company.
plus we're doing 3 days in L.A. before Disneyland in Anaheim so we would be in L.A. anyways.
I'm going to try to decide which one is better, lyft/uber (it has to be XL because of the baggae) or shuttles.
There’s been nothing wrong with LAX for me in the past. Flying there tomorrow!

The uber/lyft pickup option has changed. You have to take a shuttle to the pickup area. I wasn’t willing to add that time on our trip. I booked a shuttle through lansky’s. I hear nothing but great things about them.

As for ubEr/lyft back to LAX...I always keep both apps on my phone and compare prices.

@Thiago Acquaviva We flew 10 of us through LAX with checked baggage and everything. We had zero problems. The ride can be a little long, and the traffic can be a pain, but the drivers are used to it and our experience was that the company knew how much time to allot. It all worked out great.

@smartlabelprint, have a great trip!!
Thanks!

LAX was uneventful. Took an hour and 45 min approximately with grocery stop. Given the choice I will not fly there again. I already have SNA booked for June. It’s our preference. But there’s nothing horrific about LAX for those with a good straight flight or already booked. We are flying home
From lax in June. Nonstop flight.

That is going to be totally fine! And it sounds like it will be to your advantage with LA stops on your trip as well. I just think if the price is not too much more and DLR is your only destination, SNA is a terrific time saver and stress saver!

That is going to be totally fine! And it sounds like it will be to your advantage with LA stops on your trip as well. I just think if the price is not too much more and DLR is your only destination, SNA is a terrific time saver and stress saver!

Don't forget the memorable "modified take off" from SNA! One of my favorites.

For the uninitiated, the runway is one of the shortest commercial runways in the nation (5701 feet), so the plane lines up on one end, will fire its engines to 45% N1 with the brakes on, release the brakes, go to maximum thrust.... you go shooting down the runway and then take off is at a steeper angle than usual. Once you hit 800 feet, pilot pulls back on the thrust resulting in a a half second sensation of free fall... once you reach 3000 feet, you continue the climb as normal.

PRO: it's like one last ride on the Matterhorn before you fly home!
CON: the sensation of the plane falling can be unsettling

PRO TIP: sometimes the FA's will put pretzel packets in the front and race them down the aisle on take off.

What are you planning to check out in LA proper? Just curious. I really love LA. I recommend if you are doing the Hollywood, thing, the Warner Bros. Studio Tour and The Madame Tussaud's museum in the Hollywood Blvd./Highland area (it is way better than it sounds - surprisingly so). Universal is also great and has some differences to the Orlando parks, if you are looking at checking that out.

What are you planning to check out in LA proper? Just curious. I really love LA. I recommend if you are doing the Hollywood, thing, the Warner Bros. Studio Tour and The Madame Tussaud's museum in the Hollywood Blvd./Highland area (it is way better than it sounds - surprisingly so). Universal is also great and has some differences to the Orlando parks, if you are looking at checking that out.
We're planning to stay at the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel (but haven't decided yet).
I don't know if it's good or not but it's one of the best value options given our money worth so much less than US dolar... making it costs +4x the real cost lol

We're planning to visit:
  • Hollywood Sign
  • Hollywood Walk of Fame
  • Chinese Theater
  • Madame Tussauds
  • Dolby Theater
  • Hollywood Forever Cemetery
  • Rodeo Drive
  • Warner Bros Studio
  • Los Angeles County Museum Of Art
  • La Brea Tar Pits
  • Griffith Observatory
  • Griffith Park
  • Walt Disney Concert Hall
  • Staples Center
and we're going to try to visit Six Flags MM.
is it a good list? possible to do in 3 days?

We're planning to stay at the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel (but haven't decided yet).
I don't know if it's good or not but it's one of the best value options given our money worth so much less than US dolar... making it costs +4x the real cost lol

We're planning to visit:
  • Hollywood Sign
  • Hollywood Walk of Fame
  • Chinese Theater
  • Madame Tussauds
  • Dolby Theater
  • Rodeo Drive
  • Warner Bros Studio
  • La Brea Tar Pits
  • Griffith Observatory
  • Griffith Park
  • Staples Center

I haven't done a lot of that, but it looks like a good list. I don't know if three days is enough time, but maybe. Some of your venues, like the Dolby Theater, won't have much to do without an event there. The Dolby is right next to Madame Tussauds though and the Chinese Theater so if you;re just walking around that area it's fine. The Staples Center is nothing to see unless there is an event or a game. I probably wouldn't bother going downtown at all.

Hello guys!

We're finally making plans to visit Disneyland for the first time in 2020!!!
We're HUGE disney fans and we've been in Disney World 4 times in the past 5 years. It's our favorite place in the whole world.
I'm very excited to be able to go to another Disney destination!

I have tons of questions, would love some help please.

1) How is the weather in May?
2) How are the crowds in May (weekdays)?
3) How to get from L.A. to Anaheim?
4) Best quick service restaurants (one from each park)
5) Best table service restaurants (one from each park)
6) Is 4 days (2 each park) enough?

Big big thanks in advance.
It's so good to be back to this amazing board ♥

Exciting! you're going to love it. As other has answered your weather and crowd questions I won't weigh in there. I've taking a shuttle from LAX and it was fine, but Uber/Lyft is probably less hassle.

4) QS DLR: Corndog at the Little Red Wagon. Amazing.
QS DCA: I've only done a few there, but honestly I suggest you head into the Grand Californian and eat at White Water Snacks, it's been super good both trip I've gone out. But with that said Flo's V8 and the Cozy Cone are favorites of mine.
5) TS DLR: I've only done Blue Bayou there, and the food was okay. The reason to go is that you're in the entrance to Pirates. I liken it to a better version of the restaurant inside the Mexico pavilion.
TS DCA: I've done both Carthy Circle and Napa Rose (both expensive) and of the 2 I'd pick Napa Rose (again in the Grand and not DCA itself). But with that said, absolutely have a drink in the Carthy Circle lounge.
6) 4 days is perfect IMO. I've done a trip with 4 days and a trip with 2 days and while 2 days works, 4 is much better. Also spend the extra for the park hopper, they are so close together that it's so easy to jump between them. And you don't even have to leave security to do so.

I know I already mentioned this but I have to repeat.... You guys are so great!
big thanks for all the tips and info! it's been helping me a lot!!! :) :D :)

We're planning to visit:
  • Hollywood Sign
  • Hollywood Walk of Fame
  • Chinese Theater
  • Madame Tussauds
  • Dolby Theater
  • Rodeo Drive
  • Warner Bros Studio
  • La Brea Tar Pits
  • Griffith Observatory
  • Griffith Park
  • Staples Center
This is a big list! If you include Six Flags, you probably won't be able to squeeze it all into 3 days. A few notes on some of the attractions (and you may already know this so I apologize, but if you don't then it's pretty important stuff to know)

• Hollywood Sign- the haze in LA is real. It can be really tough to see the sign sometimes. One of the best vantage points is from Griffith Observatory. Of if it's super important to get a good view, consider doing a hike in Griffith Park that will take you pretty close. A great place to spot it from Hollywood is on the walkway at the Hollywood & Highland shopping complex.
  • Walk of Fame- so crowded, all the time. Beware of street vendors!
  • Chinese Theater & Dolby Theater- both are super interesting but you can't get inside unless you book a tour
  • Madame Tussauds- loved it! Be sure to buy tickets online, even if you do it as you walk up to the podium. It saves you almost $17 per ticket
  • Warner Bros Studio- such an amazing tour, I've done it twice and I loved it both times! Since it's a functioning set, sometimes they have certain areas closed off so no two tours are the same. Tour takes about 3 hours so it is a big chunk of time.
  • La Brea- everything outside is free but the museum inside has a fee. We found the outdoor stuff was plenty to keep us entertained! LACMA is right next door, and both are within a short walk to the Farmer's Market, which has some amazing food options.
  • Griffith Observatory- so great, and it's free! Parking is an absolute nightmare so be prepared to walk uphill quite a ways to get there (or take an Uber and get dropped off at the top!) Can get very busy, especially on weekends and around sunset (but the sunset views are incredible). Don't miss out on the indoor exhibits! Probably plan on 1.5-2 hours, especially if you end up having to walk up there.
Hope this helps, LA is full of so much to do! In general, parking is ridiculous and expensive. I generally recommend using an Uber when you can to avoid it.

This is a big list! If you include Six Flags, you probably won't be able to squeeze it all into 3 days. A few notes on some of the attractions (and you may already know this so I apologize, but if you don't then it's pretty important stuff to know)

• Hollywood Sign- the haze in LA is real. It can be really tough to see the sign sometimes. One of the best vantage points is from Griffith Observatory. Of if it's super important to get a good view, consider doing a hike in Griffith Park that will take you pretty close. A great place to spot it from Hollywood is on the walkway at the Hollywood & Highland shopping complex.
  • Walk of Fame- so crowded, all the time. Beware of street vendors!
  • Chinese Theater & Dolby Theater- both are super interesting but you can't get inside unless you book a tour
  • Madame Tussauds- loved it! Be sure to buy tickets online, even if you do it as you walk up to the podium. It saves you almost $17 per ticket
  • Warner Bros Studio- such an amazing tour, I've done it twice and I loved it both times! Since it's a functioning set, sometimes they have certain areas closed off so no two tours are the same. Tour takes about 3 hours so it is a big chunk of time.
  • La Brea- everything outside is free but the museum inside has a fee. We found the outdoor stuff was plenty to keep us entertained! LACMA is right next door, and both are within a short walk to the Farmer's Market, which has some amazing food options.
  • Griffith Observatory- so great, and it's free! Parking is an absolute nightmare so be prepared to walk uphill quite a ways to get there (or take an Uber and get dropped off at the top!) Can get very busy, especially on weekends and around sunset (but the sunset views are incredible). Don't miss out on the indoor exhibits! Probably plan on 1.5-2 hours, especially if you end up having to walk up there.
Hope this helps, LA is full of so much to do! In general, parking is ridiculous and expensive. I generally recommend using an Uber when you can to avoid it.
OMG I didnt know all that stuff! big big thanks! it will help me a lot!
We have 3 days for LA and 1 for Six Flags, guess it's okay then, right?
from West Hollywood to Six Flags there's any bus or shuttle? or uber is our best bet?
thanks again! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter