Disneyland: Priciest Place on Earth

+1 Hamilton, we saw it a total of 4 times between SF and LA, and yes definitely more expensive per unit hour than DL (and we sat in orch each time up close -- my vision sucks).

Disneyland isn't cheap, and it shouldn't be cheap, it's always been a premium product. They're not a charity. You can experience Disney the way most of us who grew up without money did, through its movies, television shows, and books from the library. Disneyland was a once a year experience for us growing up (cram in with family in the inland empire + eat homecooked meals in the parking lot + 1 day park visit only).

+1 for mentioning the I.E., it never gets any love. Home to the most dedicated commuters in SoCal!

I'm looking forward to seeing Hamilton also! We saw Hadestown a few weekends ago, we loved it. It's a worth the cost to me to support the performing arts!

A large fountain soda at Disney is like $5.29 and a bottled soda is about the same price. And they're always consistently good! (And ice cold if you get bottled sodas.) So, yeah, that's more than I WANT to pay for a soda, but still better than the Honda Center. (And I'm from Vegas, where everything on the strip is so expensive, it makes Disney look like the McDonald's value menu.)

Certainly Disney food & beverage probably isn't a bargain if you come from a cheaper area of the world to live in. But for those of us that live in costly places, it's like, yep, well... could be worse.
Yup. Almost every event we go to has every item priced at around $10. Nachos $10, hot dog $10, slice of pizza $10 and most of the time the food is not good at all.

I do understand like you said it could be costly depending on where you are traveling from, and since we are in CA we don't pay much to travel to DL which makes it easier to spend the $5 per churro. Plus I only have one kid, but even a $5 meal can add up when you have a big family. But like you said it could be worse and probably is at your local theme park.

I’m scared to open this can of worms here, but APs. We go 20 times a year with our APs, if we didn’t have them we probably wouldn’t go at all, that day ticket is tough to justify for the current experience.

APs bring in extra crowds compared to back in the day because it incentivizes people to get more “value” out of them by going more. If they didn’t exist the crowds would plummet and Disney would have to lower prices or try to throw together some sort of bulk ticket buying scheme for locals.
That’s probably part of it, but they’ve had APs in the 80s, 90s, 00s, 2010s, and now MK in the 2020s. In the early 90s tickets were ~$25 and APs were around $100. Way better value than now.

That’s probably part of it, but they’ve had APs in the 80s, 90s, 00s, 2010s, and now MK in the 2020s. In the early 90s tickets were ~$25 and APs were around $100. Way better value than now.
Early 90s? You mean 30 years ago? Everything was cheaper then, Some of us also didn't exist :rotfl:

Early 90s? You mean 30 years ago? Everything was cheaper then, Some of us also didn't exist :rotfl:
Yeah, I realize that was 30+ years ago. The question was: why weren’t the parks jam packed with people back in those days when tickets were cheaper. And they were actually cheaper, not just cheaper because of inflation. That ~$25 ticket from the early 90s would only be about $52 dollars today with inflation.

A one day park ticket for this September is minimum $104. That’s literally double the cost AFTER you factor for inflation. And if you want to go on a weekend it’s as much as $164. That’s more than triple the cost, again, AFTER you factor inflation.

So just saying “everything was cheaper” back then misses the point. The question is: yeah, it was cheaper, so why are the parks more expensive than ever now yet also more packed now than ever? It’s like they raise prices and demand goes up.

Yeah, I realize that was 30+ years ago. The question was: why weren’t the parks jam packed with people back in those days when tickets were cheaper. And they were actually cheaper, not just cheaper because of inflation. That ~$25 ticket from the early 90s would only be about $52 dollars today with inflation.

A one day park ticket for this September is minimum $104. That’s literally double the cost AFTER you factor for inflation. And if you want to go on a weekend it’s as much as $164. That’s more than triple the cost, again, AFTER you factor inflation.

So just saying “everything was cheaper” back then misses the point. The question is: yeah, it was cheaper, so why are the parks more expensive than ever now yet also more packed now than ever? It’s like they raise prices and demand goes up.
There was a really cool post somewhere on this forum that gave some reasoning. It basically said something about nostalgia AND how much the population in the DLR area increased. It made a lot of sense, I recommend looking for it.

There is also the type of park it is. The rides, the IPs, etc. There is a lot more stuff to do for more ppl. Shows are better, there is a whole other park, etc, etc. Saying that the park is the same as it was 30+ years ago and so it should be charged as the same is kinda absurd.

I think the rationale is that, 30 years ago, DCA didn't exist, not sure of when other big ticket rides like Thunder and Splash were added, either. DL was still the best amusement park, but it was still just an amusement park, as opposed to now with more attractions, the addition of Galaxy's Edge, and travel being easier and cheaper for flights with more airline competition. Also factor in that WDW would have still been relatively new and competing against DL more head to head for travellers.

I think the rationale is that, 30 years ago, DCA didn't exist, not sure of when other big ticket rides like Thunder and Splash were added, either. DL was still the best amusement park, but it was still just an amusement park, as opposed to now with more attractions, the addition of Galaxy's Edge, and travel being easier and cheaper for flights with more airline competition. Also factor in that WDW would have still been relatively new and competing against DL more head to head for travellers.
I'm just going to disagree with the statement "it was still just an amusement park". I don't think Disneyland was ever just an amusement park.

I do agree that it has vastly expanded its offerings since the earlier days, which I believe is a good explanation for part of the increased cost. IMO, though, it was always more of a magical escape than an amusement park per se. There was a reason for its intense popularity that goes beyond the ride offerings.

We were somewhere in Southern California recently and a bottled water cost more than at Disneyland…. It’s making me crazy because I can’t remember where it was…. But I remember thinking the water cost more than a bottle of water at Disneyland.

Even when we weren’t locals, we’d buy liter bottles of water at the store at the Park Vue Inn for $2 and bring them into the parks. We also refill water bottles. We splurge on sodas, coffee, beignets and Mickey pretzels. Food at Disneyland is better quality and the same price or less than Knotts or a major sporting
Event!

I'm just going to disagree with the statement "it was still just an amusement park". I don't think Disneyland was ever just an amusement park.

I do agree that it has vastly expanded its offerings since the earlier days, which I believe is a good explanation for part of the increased cost. IMO, though, it was always more of a magical escape than an amusement park per se. There was a reason for its intense popularity that goes beyond the ride offerings.
Not disagreeing with you. I was talking about public perception. I really enjoyed the series on Disney+ talking about the history and development of DL, how it was designed to really be different from other amusement parks per Walt's vision, and he definitely succeeded. I don't plan vacations around going to Knott's Berry Farm, that's for sure.

We were somewhere in Southern California recently and a bottled water cost more than at Disneyland…. It’s making me crazy because I can’t remember where it was…. But I remember thinking the water cost more than a bottle of water at Disneyland.

Even when we weren’t locals, we’d buy liter bottles of water at the store at the Park Vue Inn for $2 and bring them into the parks. We also refill water bottles. We splurge on sodas, coffee, beignets and Mickey pretzels. Food at Disneyland is better quality and the same price or less than Knotts or a major sporting
Event!

The Smart Water at Disneyland is $9. That's robbery. I think the Dasani comes to about $5 with tax. That's not AWFUL. I've seen $8 for a 20oz bottle of water at a concert recently.

We never buy water at Disneyland. We bring insulated plastic sports bottles and refill at the soda fountains.

Food at Knotts is both more expensive and FAR worse quality. I've never been so disappointed with a plate of chicken tenders and fries in my life as I was at Knotts.

Not disagreeing with you. I was talking about public perception. I really enjoyed the series on Disney+ talking about the history and development of DL, how it was designed to really be different from other amusement parks per Walt's vision, and he definitely succeeded. I don't plan vacations around going to Knott's Berry Farm, that's for sure.
Ok, gotcha! I was looking at it out of context.

The Smart Water at Disneyland is $9. That's robbery. I think the Dasani comes to about $5 with tax. That's not AWFUL. I've seen $8 for a 20oz bottle of water at a concert recently.

We never buy water at Disneyland. We bring insulated plastic sports bottles and refill at the soda fountains.

Food at Knotts is both more expensive and FAR worse quality. I've never been so disappointed with a plate of chicken tenders and fries in my life as I was at Knotts.

I joked on a recent trip that you're not very "Smart" if you're paying $9 for a bottle of water.

I too have a hard time spending any kind of money on water if I don't have to, so we bring insulated bottles as well. We still buy sodas or specialty drinks, but I just will NOT spend that kind of money to stay hydrated. (Especially on a hot summer day when you really need it.)

I joked on a recent trip that you're not very "Smart" if you're paying $9 for a bottle of water.

I too have a hard time spending any kind of money on water if I don't have to, so we bring insulated bottles as well. We still buy sodas or specialty drinks, but I just will NOT spend that kind of money to stay hydrated. (Especially on a hot summer day when you really need it.)

It wouldn't be "smart" as in "intelligent" more like "smart" as in painful!

I've had APs off and on since the 1980s (early 1980s - way back when they took your photo, instantly printed it, stuck it to a piece of cardstock and laminated it to equal an AP).

I remember Big Thunder Mountain then (rode it with dad, the others in the family didn't want to ride it), Space Mountain too.
I remember when Indy debuted and you got key decoder cards to try to figure out the messages (sponsored by AT&T, as I recall)
I remember when you could park in the lot and be close to DLR, such that dad would walk back to the car to get our picnic basket and we would eat outside the park in the picnic area (that's what we did to save money on park food, although we would splurge for a bit on the ice cream)

Then the debut of fast passes where you could stack them.... that is, go run around to all the rides that had FPs and get FPs that were after the other ones you got, so you had one that was good every hour or so....ah, those were the days :)

We always went on the weekends, usually Saturdays. There were crowds, but it wasn't crowded.

Heck, I remember one year, we had APs to DLR, Queen Mary/Spruce Goose, and one other and we kept on going back to DLR....

there is a whole other park
The other park isn’t included in the price of a one day, one park ticket.
Saying that the park is the same as it was 30+ years ago and so it should be charged as the same is kinda absurd
Who said the park is the same as it was 30 years ago? Who said it should be charged the same?

You are misunderstanding. The question isn’t why is it busy or expensive today. There’s plenty of explanation for that. The question was why wasn’t it busier in the past?

A lot of people do seem to answer this question by saying “there’s so much more to do now“. But I’m not sure that’s it. The implication there is that people back then didn’t think Disneyland was all that great or interesting. Maybe that’s true, but that doesn’t seem right. I feel like Disneyland‘s always been held up as a prime example of “the best“. Obviously people that are into more extreme thrill rides wouldn’t have been as interested in Disneyland in the past, but the same is true today.

Although maybe you are right and Disneyland just wasn’t as appealing in the past. For example, in the early 90s tickets to Disneyland were $25, and tickets to Magic Mountain were $23. I can’t be sure but there might even have been a time when Disneyland tickets were actually cheaper than Magic Mountain. Even though Magic Mountain has also expanded its rides since those days, it would be crazy for them to charge the same as Disney is charging today.

So...what if they sold a $52 "classic" ticket that's only good for what existed in the early '90's? No DCA at all, no Galaxy's Edge or ToonTown...Indiana Jones, Buzz, etc. I don't think there'd be many takers. You get what you pay for!
Well, DCA already is not included in a 1 park, 1 day ticket to DL. So, there ARE people already paying for a ticket that don’t get DCA access.

Obviously there’s a lot more at Disneyland now than there was back then, (although not necessarily double or triple the amount). But that wasn’t the question.

I’m asking about the perception of Disneyland back then and why it wasn’t even more crowded. It’s not an answer to say “people didn’t go as much back then because there’s more to do now”. If that were the case, no one would go to the park NOW because there’s going to be so much more to do in 30 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter