Disneyland Paris - May 2022

Maleficent380

Earning My Ears
Making our first visit ever to Disneyland Paris in May. We are in our 50s and will only be there 2 days. We had hoped to stay at the Disneyland Hotel, but it is closed for refurbishment. Still, super excited and also a little nervous. Having been to WDW in Orlando tons of times, and Disneyland in California a couple, I know how different a Disney experience can be park by park. The last thing we want is to be unprepared. Would love to hear anyone's "must do" or "skip" suggestions. Thanks in advance!

The main thing to remember is that Disneyland Paris is a Frenchfied version of a Disney Park. You need to look at it as a stand alone park, not a smaller version of WDW scooped up and brought to France.

The customer service is not the over the top American Have a Nice Day, the food is Frenchfied American food, the guests are mainly European so you will notice a difference with how guests behave.

Things like merchandise, you wont have the same variety and the clothes sizes are smaller, so if you have a pooh sized person in your party, you might not be able to find spirit jerseys that fit.

The onsite hotels are hotels , not resorts so the amenities and onsite facilities are less.

We have the best Big Thunder Mountain and the prettiest castle, also the prettiest park. Disneyland Park is also designed to stroll through. And I also think our Pirates is better than the US versions ;-)
If you are into shows, I would definitely go by Mickey and the Magician in the Studios (I hope it's back by then). Also the Disney Jr. Show, Lion King Rhythm of the Pridelands are really good.

Paris has some distractions, like the Aladdin walkthrough, Alice' Labyrinth, the gallery in the castle, the dragon under the castle. Take time to stroll if you are into the small details.

Food, to me, table service in the park is overpriced, also quality is better in the US parks. It's not bad, but I prefer eating in Disney village.

And for culture, yes, knowing the difference between Anaheim and Orlando is a start, but this is France/Europe, not the US. It cannot be emphasized enough, as it's the one thing Americans overlook and sometimes come back disappointed. For hotels, in case you are not familiar with European hotels: Hotel rooms are smaller, beds are harder, and no/hardly AC.

Overall, Disneyland Paris has some good things, some less good things. There is magic, you do have to be willing to see it :)

When in May will you travel? The first week of May is a holiday week for most of Europe and can cause crowds.

DLP is a great "walking park" -- it is the prettiest of the parks, in my opinion. We were there a full day and did EVERYTHING in both parks (paid for Lightning Lane for 2 rides). The food is nowhere close to as good as WDW. Smoking in line seems to be a thing. And... if cast members tell you they are closing rides at 8:30p... that means they will actually close them at 8:10p or whenever they feel like it. But, take the time to enjoy the walkthroughs and the aesthetics in general. The fireworks at the castle are amazing. That said, we loved both parks and are glad we went, but it is a different vibe there.

We have the best Big Thunder Mountain and the prettiest castle, also the prettiest park. Disneyland Park is also designed to stroll through. And I also think our Pirates is better than the US versions ;-)
If you are into shows, I would definitely go by Mickey and the Magician in the Studios (I hope it's back by then). Also the Disney Jr. Show, Lion King Rhythm of the Pridelands are really good.

Paris has some distractions, like the Aladdin walkthrough, Alice' Labyrinth, the gallery in the castle, the dragon under the castle. Take time to stroll if you are into the small details.

Food, to me, table service in the park is overpriced, also quality is better in the US parks. It's not bad, but I prefer eating in Disney village.

And for culture, yes, knowing the difference between Anaheim and Orlando is a start, but this is France/Europe, not the US. It cannot be emphasized enough, as it's the one thing Americans overlook and sometimes come back disappointed. For hotels, in case you are not familiar with European hotels: Hotel rooms are smaller, beds are harder, and no/hardly AC.

Overall, Disneyland Paris has some good things, some less good things. There is magic, you do have to be willing to see it :)

When in May will you travel? The first week of May is a holiday week for most of Europe and can cause crowds.

oh no! I’ll be there the first week of May. There goes Disney😆!

Can you buy premier access on weekends and holidays?
I see what you mean on the website. It is strange. There is absolutely no reason NOT to sell in the weekends and on holidays, as those are the days you need premier access more often.
I am quite sure you can buy it on any day, but if I remember I'll check next weekend when I'm at DLP.

I see what you mean on the website. It is strange. There is absolutely no reason NOT to sell in the weekends and on holidays, as those are the days you need premier access more often.
I am quite sure you can buy it on any day, but if I remember I'll check next weekend when I'm at DLP.
Thank you I appreciate your reply. Please let me know!

DLP is a great "walking park" -- it is the prettiest of the parks, in my opinion. We were there a full day and did EVERYTHING in both parks (paid for Lightning Lane for 2 rides). The food is nowhere close to as good as WDW. Smoking in line seems to be a thing. And... if cast members tell you they are closing rides at 8:30p... that means they will actually close them at 8:10p or whenever they feel like it. But, take the time to enjoy the walkthroughs and the aesthetics in general. The fireworks at the castle are amazing. That said, we loved both parks and are glad we went, but it is a different vibe there.
Do you have any advice or recommendations for trying to "do it all" in one day? We'll be there on April 1 and are hoping to do as much as possible across both parks. We pre-purchased the Lion King show, but that's it so far. Thank in advance!

Do you have any advice or recommendations for trying to "do it all" in one day? We'll be there on April 1 and are hoping to do as much as possible across both parks. We pre-purchased the Lion King show, but that's it so far. Thank in advance!
I would first make a list of what you really want to achieve and what you would consider a bonus. The Lion king show will take about an hour out of your day, even with access purchased. It is in a remote corner, you want to be there a bit before the show, and leaving the theater and back to the park will take time.

I would start in the Studios and do Crush and then Tower of Terror first. Ratatouille in a single riders line if open, or skip it if you will ride it in Epcot.

In the park, I would go clockwise, Big Thunder Mountain, Phantom Manor, Pirates, Indiana Jones, cross over to the other side for Space Mountain and then Fantasyland rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter