• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland...OMG!!!!!!!!!!

Disney Ron

It's not a lie, if you believe it.
We came back Friday from our first trip ever to Disneyland. We are from Rhode Island clear across the country and are WDW veterans, my oldest daughter actually works for WDW, but it's always been my dream to see the park that Walt built. Well we were not disappointed, in fact myself, wife 16 & 14 y/o all loved DL more than WDW. So much so that we are leaning toward a return to DL next year. We thought it was much more magical than WDW. We stayed at the Grand California Hotel which my WDW daughter was able to get us a Cast Member Family & Friends discount which saved us 40% off rack rate which was very nice.

I'll list our pro's & cons in no particular order.

Pros:

1) Weather- Even though it was hot and a touch muggy it was nothing like the heat we have in Florida every summer at WDW. At WDW we are shot by 7 PM from the humidity while at DL we were closing the parks.

2) People- We found the guests much more friendlier at DL. If I bumped into someone and said I'm sorry everyone had a smile and said no problem. Nobody seemed ready to tell you off and we found everyone more polite.

3) Magic- From the cast members to the characters, from the history to the rides we just found DL more magical. Last Thursday afternoon in the lobby of the GCH we ran into Ryno from the DIS who was there for the event they were going to have and we had our picture taken with him. What a great guy very friendly with a big smile and we told him we were from Rhode Island knowing he grew up in Carver, Massachusetts and he really perked up since we were fellow New Englanders.

4) Food- We thought the food was better at DL especially the quick service restaurants.

5) California Adventure- Gem of a park. I don't know what more I can say about it.

Cons:

NONE!!!

Then to top off our magical trip we were waiting to board our plane back to Boston Friday morning when a man walks toward us and my wife and I look at each other and say "is that" well yes it was. We flew back to Boston with none other than Captain Kirk, William Shatner, on our flight. He was wearing a mask but we think he was doing it more to be anonymous, but as he approached I said "Good morning Mr. Shatner" and he responded "Is it that obvious?"

What a great trip!

totally agree, I love both parks but DL holds my heart.
CM's and guests are much more friendly at DL - I think this is so for CM's because the guests are generally more kind also. WDW guests can be a hot mess!

It feels more magical, it's like you can feel Walt in the parks. I enjoy the special touches DL has and for me the inclusion of Toon Town which WDW ripped out, feels like the heart is gone. How can you have a Magic Kingdom without Mickey's house??

So glad you loved it!!

I live in MA and if DL wasn't 3000 miles and 3 time zones away, I'd never go to WDW again. I just don't think WDW is the same as it used to be. We were there in Feb for the first time in 3 years and I just didn't feel the magic like I used to and we had APs for decades. The entire state of Florida has really gone downhill and I never thought it was great to begin with. The current political climate makes me never want to visit FL again. I think DL is the best by far.

More thoughts from our great trip to DL.

We were able to land all the ADR's we wanted. Blue Bayou, Carnation Cafe, Jazz Kitchen, Oga's, Lamplight Lounge, Trader Sam's and our walk up reservation at Earl of Sandwich Tavern.

Blue Bayou was disappointing. We were glad we experienced it, but we won't rush back there.

GCH was absolutely beautiful and we had the most magical cast member check us in. Having entrances to DTD and DCA were fantastic. When we went to Trader Sam's we explored the DLH and we may try that next year. Any thoughts from those who have been there and the GCH would be welcome.

I'm guessing, and correct me if I'm wrong, that by next July Tiana's Kitchen and the Treehouse will be open plus Mr. Toad's which was also closed when we were there. Also San Fransokyo will be open and it looks like all the new additions to DTD will also be complete. I'm not sure but will the Splash Mountain remake be done in a year? If so we would see plenty of new things compared to this trip.

We saw the DL fireworks from the It's a Small World location and we loved the projections off the building. We also did the World of Color Dessert Party which was awesome.

Rogers the Musical was outstanding and we loved the Hyperion Theater.

The ease of needing no transportation to get to anything, unlike WDW, made it even more special. At the end of the day just walk out of the parks and into DTD and then to your resort. No waiting for boats, or buses was fantastic.

All for now.

We were able to land all the ADR's we wanted. Blue Bayou, Carnation Cafe, Jazz Kitchen, Oga's, Lamplight Lounge, Trader Sam's and our walk up reservation at Earl of Sandwich Tavern.

Blue Bayou was disappointing. We were glad we experienced it, but we won't rush back there.

GCH was absolutely beautiful and we had the most magical cast member check us in. Having entrances to DTD and DCA were fantastic. When we went to Trader Sam's we explored the DLH and we may try that next year. Any thoughts from those who have been there and the GCH would be welcome.

I'm guessing, and correct me if I'm wrong, that by next July Tiana's Kitchen and the Treehouse will be open plus Mr. Toad's which was also closed when we were there. Also San Fransokyo will be open and it looks like all the new additions to DTD will also be complete. I'm not sure but will the Splash Mountain remake be done in a year? If so we would see plenty of new things compared to this trip.

We saw the DL fireworks from the It's a Small World location and we loved the projections off the building. We also did the World of Color Dessert Party which was awesome.

The ease of needing no transportation to get to anything, unlike WDW, made it even more special. At the end of the day just walk out of the parks and into DTD and then to your resort. No waiting for boats, or buses was fantastic.

All for now.
I am glad you had a great trip! I leave tomorrow for my 8 day trip to DL at the GCH. WHy was Blue Bayou disappointing? I have ADR for BB. I always have stayed at the DLH - I love it there but with all the construction I decided to stay at GCH - my first time! Everyone tells me I will never go back to DLH after staying at GCH.

I am glad you had a great trip! I leave tomorrow for my 8 day trip to DL at the GCH. WHy was Blue Bayou disappointing? I have ADR for BB. I always have stayed at the DLH - I love it there but with all the construction I decided to stay at GCH - my first time! Everyone tells me I will never go back to DLH after staying at GCH.
You will have a wonderful time at GCH but DLH has its own very different charm. I tend to choose GCH for the location, decor/style, and because I usually no longer go with kids. But there are many who will always prefer DLH for its mid-century modern vibe, history, whimsy, etc. I would go there more often if they'd bring back a decent dining restaurant. I haven't forgiven them for closing Steakhouse 55!

All for now.

I think the DLH is ok but I hate that it is so far. I know in terms of WDW its still very close but I would stick with GCH unless your kids are really into the pools. I do think the pools at DLH are better. If I can't stay at GCH I usually opt for the cheaper PPH. I love the private entrance to GC from that location and its usually at least $100 cheaper.

I have been to DL probably 70 or more times and I still have not been to Blue Bayou due to it just does not seem very appealing for the price. We usually stick with Carnation Cafe for a sit down meal but tend to just stick with the QS options since we love Flo's and Plaza Inn and so grateful for now to have Earl of Sandwich back.

Great report! We are from the NorthWest US and so DL is the park we almost always visit. Was thinking of trying WDW this winter (been there once nearly 20 years ago), but with reports like yours and a number of others I'm starting to re-think a trip there. Maybe not worth the cross-country journey these days compared to going to DL?

You will have a wonderful time at GCH but DLH has its own very different charm. I tend to choose GCH for the location, decor/style, and because I usually no longer go with kids. But there are many who will always prefer DLH for its mid-century modern vibe, history, whimsy, etc. I would go there more often if they'd bring back a decent dining restaurant. I haven't forgiven them for closing Steakhouse 55!
Thank you so much, DizMe!! I will be checking in on the boards while on my trip!! I loved Steakhouse 55 -- especially the breakfast. DLH needs a restaurant!! At the GCH, I am going to Storyteller's twice and Napa Nose plus the Craftsman Grill!!!

Great report! We are from the NorthWest US and so DL is the park we almost always visit. Was thinking of trying WDW this winter (been there once nearly 20 years ago), but with reports like yours and a number of others I'm starting to re-think a trip there. Maybe not worth the cross-country journey these days compared to going to DL?

I’d still visit Disney World. We are from the east coast and have visited Disney World probably 15 times. Being a huge Disney fan, I’ve always wanted to visit Disneyland, but like you, making that cross-country trip is a lot. That said, I at least want to visit it once, and I’ll finally be doing that next summer. You might go to Disney World and absolutely love it, or you might go and think Disneyland is much better and never visit Disney World again, but at least you got to experience it once.

I’d still visit Disney World. We are from the east coast and have visited Disney World probably 15 times. Being a huge Disney fan, I’ve always wanted to visit Disneyland, but like you, making that cross-country trip is a lot. That said, I at least want to visit it once, and I’ll finally be doing that next summer. You might go to Disney World and absolutely love it, or you might go and think Disneyland is much better and never visit Disney World again, but at least you got to experience it once.
I am on the East Coast..Long Island, NY I prefer Disneyland over WDW!! Would rather fly the extra 3 hours to CA..it os so worth it. I have been more times to DL than WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter