Disneyland newb - how much time and what time of year?

The August 2019 blockout calendar is up. Deluxe is allowed back into DL on 8/19/19 and So Cal/So Cal Select are back 8/26/19. (For DCA, Deluxe isn't blocked for Aug. and the So Cal APs are back on 8/19.) I fear the OP's proposed dates will be very crowded. The best day in DL may actually be the Friday departure day since both So Cal APs are blocked that day.
For the OP: since you said your dates were flexible, would it be possible to do this trip before Aug. 19th? The parks would still be crowded because of SWGE fans, but having the lower 3 APs blocked should really make a difference.
And D23 Expo will be 8/23-25/2019, so you'll have hardcore Disney fans doing the pre/post Expo parks visit for SWGE, too. Last Expo they got to see the preview of the model for GE; now they'll want to see the real thing.
Well, there you go. I wouldn't touch these dates with a 10 foot pole. OP, if you're looking for the lower crowd time, you need to go before these AP dates open back up. No idea what the crowds will be prior to that given that SWL will still be very new, but I'm quite sure it will be a lot less than the week you were looking at.

I'd push your vacation further into september if you can. School will be in session and going in the middle of the week during the first few weeks of school DL can get a little empty (relatively speaking). As a someone who lives in San Diego, id avoid labor day weekend with all that traffic as well. I'd recommend 3 FULL days at DLR from open to close. Usually what I do for family that goes is we focus on one park each day, and use the last full day to tackle anything we didnt get to the prior days. As for driving into San Diego, if you can start driving by late morning (10am-11am) on a weekday you should avoid most traffic.

We have taken the train to San Diego. I highly recommend it!

Why did you choose August? Hoping for low crowds? Do you want to see SWGE? If not, I’d try to go before it opens. What are your other date options?

I'd push your vacation further into september if you can...

But once Halloween Time starts, the crowds will get heavy again, especially on weekends. This year HT starts on 9/07, so there really isn't much time between Labor Day and HT. Next year, who knows? With Gay Days, Columbus Day Weekend, Fall School Breaks for several states, the start of MHP, etc., September can be very crowded, too. And not everyone celebrates Halloween. So the OP should keep these things in mind with trip planning.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter