Disneyland Hotel vs. Paradise Pier

So, I want to echo those who think the DLH is better. I find it closer and way better themed, so if your choice is only between those two and you are married to staying onsite, then I vote DLH, hands down.

Recently, though, I have been staying offsite at the Courtyard Marriot Theme Park Entrance right across the street. The only reason I even bring this up is because they have bunk beds for the kiddos, which I find to be really valuable. They are very nice large rooms, and although it's a Good Neighbor hotel and not literally on property, it's a short walk across the street to the park. Frankly, I think the walk to Paradise Pier is WAY longer than from this hotel.

Anyway, whatever you decide, you will have a great time. Have fun!

Between the two, I'd splurge and go with the Disneyland hotel. Their pool is much nicer and the walk to the parks is a little less than PP. I liked the PP when I stayed there several years ago, but like the DL hotel much better.

Recently, though, I have been staying offsite at the Courtyard Marriot Theme Park Entrance right across the street. The only reason I even bring this up is because they have bunk beds for the kiddos, which I find to be really valuable. They are very nice large rooms, and although it's a Good Neighbor hotel and not literally on property, it's a short walk across the street to the park. Frankly, I think the walk to Paradise Pier is WAY longer than from this hotel.

I totally agree about Courtyard Marriott Theme Park Entrance. I always tell people it's a nice alternate to the DL hotel.

Really the only Hotel that is not a a bit of a walk is GCH (it is a wonderful hotel to stay in but very pricey lol). We really liked PPH as well, it is Disney themed pretty well (but certainly not as much as DLH) and the room we had was very nice. We never found the walk from PPH to be that bad but I do realize that that is rather subjective.

Honestly if a shorter walk is something that is important to you then one of the harbor hotels would be a better bet. We like the Fairfield Inn a lot and we were booked into the Best Western Park Place Inn before stupid Covid 19 derailed our plans. The Tropicana also gets good reviews from people here. The Harbor side hotels are way cheaper and much closer.

Honestly I am sure you will have a great time no matter where you stay. Lodgings are always quite personal in perspective so really it comes down to your price level comfort zone and what is most important to you eg: close proximity for the little ones.

Enjoy the trip.

DLH for the magic and experience. We only stay PP for the early hour admission which is currently not happening.

We only stay at DLH and being there is part of the vacation. It’s Disney nostalgia everywhere, has good restaurant options and is a nice walk through downtown Disney to get between hotel and parks. Light up headboards that music box Disney tunes. It’s just all around a great place to stay. Been to PPH for a breakfast- the breakfast was great, hotel was ok but not as nice as DLH. You will have a great trip no matter what you choose.

$800 extra for 5 nights at DLH vs PPH sounds like a bargain to me. All my experiences are pre Covid but personally I’d rather stay somewhere like Courtyard Theme Park Entrance, Springhill Suites, Homewood Suites or Fairfield by Marriott over PPH. In fact, for the savings and proximity, I prefer many of the basic motels along Harbour over PPH which, IMO, is very overpriced. That’s if my budget at the time doesn’t stretch to DLH or GCH.

i read they are allowing it when it reopens because no food is available at PPH.
That may well be but whether you are allowed to use the GCH entrance to DCA is another matter in the peak morning period. In any case, if you want to goto Disneyland Park, not DCA, it’s a moot point.

Have to correct you a bit on the location of the monorail. It is not on the way from the PPH, it is inside the secure area of Downtown Disney, just across from the Lego store.
I know its inside the secure area, but isn't that also the route you have to walk if coming from PPH? Its marked that way in the map above too, and walking through GCH is not an option. So from PPH you could still enter DtD and take the monorail, but you'd have that extra walk before you get there.

I know its inside the secure area, but isn't that also the route you have to walk if coming from PPH? Its marked that way in the map above too, and walking through GCH is not an option. So from PPH you could still enter DtD and take the monorail, but you'd have that extra walk before you get there.

I guess I misunderstood what you said. It seemed like you were saying the monorail station was on the way to DLH from PPH, as in, between those two places.

If I were choosing between DLH and PP, I would choose DLH. It’s definitely worth the extra price. The DLH monorail pools are perfect for that age. We’ve been staying there 4-5 times a year since our daughter was born. The Disney theming is perfectly magical and my 13 year old still enjoyed the light up headboards when we went at the beginning of 2020. And you will often see characters roaming the grounds and in the lobby. Rumor has it that the rooms had been refurbished while the hotel was closed, so you might be staying in a room with newer furnishings, carpet, etc. If you don’t mind getting into the park after rope drop, you can take the monorail in. The monorail doesn’t begin operating until after opening. Although, if I remember correctly, they do let hotel guests enter and ride the monorail into the park for Early Magic Hour (this isn’t currently being offered at DLR hotels).

We’ve stayed at PP numerous times, but stopped once they didn’t allow you to cut through GCH to get into the parks. They did allow you to cut through to get back, but it still wasn’t worth it to us. The Courtyard on Harbor has nice, large rooms and a much better pool with water slides for kids that we like. It’s a pretty equal distance walk, and the Courtyard’s price is usually similar and sometimes cheaper than PP.

Don’t want to take it too far off topic but a +1 for the Courtyard. For us, the huge benefit are the rooms with the two queens + bunk beds + two showers/toilets. Perfect for a family of 6! And our younger ones (9 & 11) enjoyed the water park.

The last time we stayed on property was sometime in 2009 at the GCH. We got amazing rates via a homeschool convention being held there and we only had 5 at the time. There is such a massive bump in price trying to go from 5->6 people at the Disney properties. We would probably stay there more often if not for that.

I'm excited to hear all the positive reviews of the Courtyard Theme Park Entrance. We will be staying there or Fairfield on points for our next trip to DLR in October. It looks great, and I've heard good things about Howard Johnson too. We've stayed at a few other places on Harbor and I think as long as you're within that block the walk is better than going through DtD.

For a once in a long time stay at DLR I'd splurge for onsite at GCH or DLH, and we do if we go for 4-5 days. However onsite is really not necessary for convenience or theming. In contrast at WDW we own DVC and always stay onsite - ideally either an Epcot or Monorail deluxe resort. PPH is not comparable to those resorts on any level IMO.

That may well be but whether you are allowed to use the GCH entrance to DCA is another matter in the peak morning period. In any case, if you want to goto Disneyland Park, not DCA, it’s a moot point.

Not really, as we found the walk to DL from PP also is shorter cutting thru the GC lobby and exiting to DD from there. However we often used the regular DCA entrance even IF staying at GC, because the GC DCA line is so long in the morning. ( I can understand limiting the DCA entrance in the morning.)

PP HAS lost some of it's draw to me with not letting us walk across the street to make that shortcut. (Even if it IS allowed right now, that is likely temporary).

I like them all, and would sometimes pay more for DL Hotel. Other times for same price I could get PP with Club level (not spectacular but convenient) and a great view. (Disclaimer: I am a Disney retiree and get great discounts so won't stay offsite). Either way, have a great trip.

Ok, now you all have piqued my interest in the Courtyard Theme Park Entrance. I pulled it up on the Disney website to see the pricing but it said booking is temporarily unavailable (I assume it will become available soon?). However @kristensideaoffun mentioned that it is in the PP pricing range.

Would we be missing out on any "Disney perks" if we don't stay at a Disney-owned resort? I assume one is early theme park entry (when/if it is reinstated), but any others?

Would we be missing out on any "Disney perks" if we don't stay at a Disney-owned resort? I assume one is early theme park entry (when/if it is reinstated), but any others?

The biggest tangible perk to me is being able to have purchases in the park delivered back to the hotel so you don't have to carry them around all day. But there are less tangible perks as well, which may or may not matter to some people. Things like nightly storytime in the club lounge that my kids really look forward to (and that you're not going to get at any offsite hotel), being able to charge purchases to your room key, having easy access to guest services for any little questions, etc.

The biggest tangible perk to me is being able to have purchases in the park delivered back to the hotel so you don't have to carry them around all day. But there are less tangible perks as well, which may or may not matter to some people. Things like nightly storytime in the club lounge that my kids really look forward to (and that you're not going to get at any offsite hotel), being able to charge purchases to your room key, having easy access to guest services for any little questions, etc.

They are not currently doing the delivery of purchased goods back to the resort.

Ok, now you all have piqued my interest in the Courtyard Theme Park Entrance. I pulled it up on the Disney website to see the pricing but it said booking is temporarily unavailable (I assume it will become available soon?). However @kristensideaoffun mentioned that it is in the PP pricing range.

You can book that hotel through the Marriott website. No reason to book it through Disney.

Paradise Pier aint even worth it. It's a Hyatt with a Disney logo and Goofy statue. The DLH is MUCH better, but it also costs a fortune. I've only done it once, and that was on a huge discount. It was good, but not like a WDW-themed good. Honestly, you can stay at the HoJo with a Park View room for less than what a normal room at Paradise Pier costs. And they're the same walking distance. Plus your little ones will appreciate the smaller water park at HoJo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter