Disneyland Hotel vs. Paradise Pier

DisDad4Life

Mouseketeer
Hi all. We're planning to visit in October for a 5 night stay and deciding between the Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier (haven't been to Disneyland since 1996). Our party consists of 3 adults and 2 little ones (4 & 2).

I am leaning toward the DH as it appears much nicer, but it's also $800 more for our 5 night stay. What do you all think of the two hotels and is the additional $800 worth it? Pros and cons of Paradise Pier?

Thanks!

I'd probably steer you to DLH only because it has little less walking for your young children, which is less carrying for you. If you plan on using pools, many people prefer the pools at DLH and you have to be staying there to use them. If you don't care about the pools, you can still walk over to DLH from PP and enjoy the rest of the grounds, restaurants, etc.

I normally don't use public pools so strictly from a money standpoint, I'd probably want PP. With that said, 5 days of walking back and forth carrying young children can get very tiring - at least it did for me. In fact, I'd probably stay at a closer hotel in Harbor to save my steps which also costs less.

We are staying for the first time at Paradise Pier in October as well. I have heard great things about the rooms at PP. To us, 2 adults and a teen, the only difference is the rooms. Disneyland Hotel is a short walk over where we can enjoy everything they have to offer while saving a bit of money. Now with a 2 and 4 year old, it may be worth the extra just to stay that much closer.

With kids at 2 and 4 years old.. my personal preference would be Disneyland Hotel because of the closer walking distance... assuming you are going to spend more time at Disneyland Park vs California Adventure. Not sure if DH is refurbing the place, but the rooms will feel older. However, if they still have the massive headboard above your beds where you'll see an etched Sleeping Beauty Castle with fireworks that can light up.. your 4 year old might enjoy it and your 2 year old might stare at it.

For me, nap times are huge so having the closer walk would be better.... unless your kids just nap in strollers.. then, it probably doesn't matter.

DH pools are better and bigger in my opinion. For your kids.. probably doesn't matter as they aren't big enough to go on slides. So this is an adult decision.

Neither have kids clubs to my recollection and most likely with pandemic, kids clubs would probably not be open. Grand Californian had a kids club "Pinocchio's Workshop".. but I think they stopped that. Also there were minimum age limits and I think your kids are too young.

Net, for $800 more... consider these factors:
1) Do you or your kids need to nap at the hotel.... if yes, then DH is a little bit closer
2) In your 5 day trip.. how much do you plan to stay in the parks. If you are going to maximize the parks.. then PP is more cost effective
3) If you are going to spend some time at the hotel and not at the parks... does the pool(s) matter to you? if so then DH

I 100% disagree with @DLgal. I would pay a hefty premium to stay at the PPH over the DLH, which is the on-site hotel *I* think is an embarrassment! My family has had nothing but wonderful stays at the PPH, which we have found actually has the best CMs of all three. The rooms are great, the theming is great, the on-site dining (which is not currently running) is underrated, and the pool is plenty of fun.

I have stayed at all 3 of the DL hotels, well 4 if you count the Villas at GC seperately. I like Paradise Pier. The rooms are large. You can book a fantastic park view if you wish. It is actually closer than DL Hotel to the parks, if you cross the street and cut thru the GC lobby. (They stopped letting us do this, but I THINK it is currently allowed (showing your key card) because the PP QS is still closed.) You used to be able to EXIT thru the GC lobby and walk acroos the street to PP, making it closer that DL Hotel. Not sure the Covid rules. The DL hotel is a hike to the parks too, you walk the entire length of DD back and forth, and PP is not $800 further to me. Now DL Hotel has the charm and the nicer pool by far. And their lobbies are nicer, the theming is better. I like DL Hotel too. Lots. I have stayed there at least 4X.

I booked PP for my December trip. But I truly do like all 3 of the hotels. I took PP, as DL Hotel wasn't available yet and only club was showing at GC. We also always stay at PP during D23, and walk over to the Expo.

I would pick DLH, no question. I'd rather stay offsite than at Paradise Pier. I just don't think its worth the price for what it is and for the location. We occasionally splurge on DLH or GCH but when we don't, there are plenty of good options on Harbor that are a shorter walk than the DLH.

ETA: Our first trip to DLR was when our kids were around 2 and 4 and we stayed at DLH. It was perfect. They loved the theming, loved the character breakfast there, loved the pools. The monorail and walking through DtD were super convenient getting to and from the parks. I think the DLH is a good fit for that age.

Last edited:
There is nothing *wrong* with PP, but it absolutely feels like a ripoff. It honestly feels more like a $200/night hotel. DLH feels expensive, and the rooms actually were feeling the age, but most common areas and check in felt grand and above your usual hotel. I think it’s been rumored PP is supposed to get a massive overhaul of all spaces, but who knows if covid pushed that off or not. Right now it feels insane to pay the price there (for me personally.)

I hate the price of DLH, but I’m always happy when I’m there and can’t wait to get back as soon as I leave. PP I was like “meh, nothing special.”

[Though I do think PP has more kids themed colors and common areas. DLH has a nice Disney theme, but it’s more classy and Disney of the old times when presidents and such visited.]

Great feedback everyone, thank you very much!

In terms of walking distance to the parks from each hotel, what are we talking about - 10 minutes? 15 minutes? (again, please bear with me as we're basically Disneyland newbies but have been to Disney World many times) We'll have strollers so the walking isn't a problem but is a consideration.

Is the monorail an option from either of the hotels?

Great feedback everyone, thank you very much!

In terms of walking distance to the parks from each hotel, what are we talking about - 10 minutes? 15 minutes? (again, please bear with me as we're basically Disneyland newbies but have been to Disney World many times) We'll have strollers so the walking isn't a problem but is a consideration.

Is the monorail an option from either of the hotels?

The monorail isn't running right now, but the station is closer to DLH and when it is running, it's an option, although it always takes longer than just walking.

It's about a half mile walk from any room in DLH to the esplanade. For PPH, add another 0.20 miles or so. I'd say at a leisurely pace it's a 10 minute walk from DLH. It's really not bad. But PPH feels like a drag to have to walk back there at the end of the day if you can't cut through GCH.

Last edited:
Yeah, half mile or less. We were in the building closest to Downtown Disney with theme park views and it felt more like a quarter mile. (Amazing views bc we could see the fireworks and World of Color, great entertainment right before bed.) You are walking through a busy area with a lot going on and places to stop, easy to pick up a coffee on the way in morning.

The monorail stop is right outside DLH, kind of on the way from PPH, but keep in mind that the DLR monorail is different from WDW. Its more of a ride than transportation. Its not open early enough to make rope drop, and you need to fold up strollers to get on. I used it a few times to run back to the hotel from Tomorrowland, but in general we walked to the Esplanade (front entrance of both parks) to enter in the morning. Once or twice we took the monorail home.

If you are used to WDW everything at DLR will feel more compact and easy to navigate. I personally feel like the walk to PPH takes you outside the bubble more than DLH, but so does staying across the street on Harbor.

I echo the sentiments of the DLH. Having grown up in So Cal and worked at Disneyland, DLH just has that extra pixie dust. The grounds are just delightful and continue to have quiet little areas to escape from the crowds. The pool is perfect for kids and adults. (yum, on the poolside service)
The rooms are nicely sized and again provide that magical touch of sparkle with the Mickey decor.

Yeah, half mile or less. We were in the building closest to Downtown Disney with theme park views and it felt more like a quarter mile. (Amazing views bc we could see the fireworks and World of Color, great entertainment right before bed.) You are walking through a busy area with a lot going on and places to stop, easy to pick up a coffee on the way in morning.

The monorail stop is right outside DLH, kind of on the way from PPH, but keep in mind that the DLR monorail is different from WDW. Its more of a ride than transportation. Its not open early enough to make rope drop, and you need to fold up strollers to get on. I used it a few times to run back to the hotel from Tomorrowland, but in general we walked to the Esplanade (front entrance of both parks) to enter in the morning. Once or twice we took the monorail home.

If you are used to WDW everything at DLR will feel more compact and easy to navigate. I personally feel like the walk to PPH takes you outside the bubble more than DLH, but so does staying across the street on Harbor.

Have to correct you a bit on the location of the monorail. It is not on the way from the PPH, it is inside the secure area of Downtown Disney, just across from the Lego store.

Lots of great info. We've stayed at all the hotels. More often at PP just because it's the least expensive onsite hotel and early entry was a big piece of our touring plan.

DLH is our favorite but if the $$$ matter, PPH is also great. Even if you don't have one of the rooms with a view, you get to see that view every time you walk past the windows near the elevator. It's so cool to feel like you can reach right out and touch the park. We watched the Feliz Navidad parade practice at night from our room at PPH.

The rooms at PPH are light, airy and large. Very comfortable. DLH rooms are very elegant. Also nice sized. Not sure how the decor has changed if they have been refurbished.

The walk IS an issue. Even for us as teens and adults, the PPH walk was long at the end of a long day. It was far better when they used to let you walk through the lobby of GCH. Still a crappy way to treat guests overpaying to be onsite at PPH. The walk from DLH is still long, just not quite as long. And much better when the monorail is running.

We woke up to this every morning when we had the view room at PPH. The shot is cropped and zoomed, but it's still spectacular.

Morning at Paradise Pier by mom2rtk, on Flickr

The rooms themselves are both nice. PPH:

And DLH:

Last edited:
We have stayed at all three Disneyland Hotel Resort hotels (and also off property). All have their own pros and cons.
In general the rooms at Paradise Pier are larger than standard rooms at the other two hotels. I personally like the larger bathroom counter space in the Paradise Pier rooms, too. I always find the distance issue between the Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier strange. In the attached photo the red line indicates how you walk out the back of Paradise Pier, alongside Disneyland Hotel Adventureland Tower and then enter security along with the guests from the Disneyland Hotel and proceed through Downtown Disneyland to get to the Esplanade and gates to the Parks. The blue line indicates how you can exit through the Grand California Hotel and walk across the street right to the Paradise Pier. It is true you can can no longer enter the Grand from the street unless you are staying there or have a dinning reservation. 579043

Last edited:
We have stayed at all three Disneyland Hotel Resort hotels (and also off property). All have their own pros and cons.
In general the rooms at Paradise Pier are larger than standard rooms at the other two hotels. I personally like the larger bathroom counter space in the Paradise Pier rooms, too. I always find the distance issue between the Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier strange. In the attached photo the red line indicates how you walk out the back of Paradise Pier, alongside Disneyland Hotel Frontier Tower and then enter security along with the guests from the Disneyland Hotel and proceed through Downtown Disneyland to get to the Esplanade and gates to the Parks. The blue line indicates how you can exit through the Grand California Hotel and walk across the street right to the Paradise Pier. It is true you can can no longer enter the Grand from the street unless you are staying there or have a dinning reservation. View attachment 579043

That red arrow isn't a short walk. It's a good 5 minutes. I've been doing it since DtD reopened last summer and we have had to park in the Simba lot behind PPH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter