Disneyland Hotel changed our 2 Queen to a King?

The bottom line is that it is almost always untrue that the hotel "can't do anything about it." They tell you that so you just roll over and don't make a stink, because it benefits THEM. They can ALWAYS move you to either another room or another hotel. If they tell you they can't, ask to speak to the front desk manager. And if you still get told that, tell them to refund you and you will take your business to another local hotel. Guarantee they will "find" you a room.

WDW tried to pull this with us at the Contemporary in 2019. We booked this resort as a party of 3 women specifically because all their rooms had a daybed. They gave us a king bed room. We arrived very late, after midnight, and they tried to tell us they were fully booked and there were no other rooms. They kept up the charade until I asked for my money back and began searching on my phone for an offsite hotel. Suddenly, "a room magically became available in the system." Yeah, that's what I thought.

You have to be willing to play a game of chicken with them. I didn't get all crazy and demanding and throw a fit. I calmly asked for 3 sleeping surfaces or my money back. I was fully prepared to book the Hilton Bonnet creek and take an uber over there at 2am and I let them know it.

I agree with all of you. Disney does not let people reserved certain bedding types because it benefits Disney to have the flexibility to book every room in the resort and ”force” the parties into the available rooms. Imagine if on a particular weekend, almost everyone wanted 2 queens and a day bed. If they actually let you book that specific configuration, once those rooms were full, then no one else could book since it would be “sold out”. By not allowing you to choose the configuration at booking, DISNEY has the option to put you into any configuration that they have left when you check in that will hold the number of bodies you have, regardless of who is sharing a bed, regardless of what grown adult may be on a “day bed”. It is pure and simple Disney greed, to me. And like I said, we (and I am not excluding myself **yet**) are willing to pay the crazy prices and accept it to stay on property (or spend even MORE with Disney to book a suite to get what we really need in our bedding configuration). They are brilliant.

I agree with all of you. Disney does not let people reserved certain bedding types because it benefits Disney to have the flexibility to book every room in the resort and ”force” the parties into the available rooms. Imagine if on a particular weekend, almost everyone wanted 2 queens and a day bed. If they actually let you book that specific configuration, once those rooms were full, then no one else could book since it would be “sold out”. By not allowing you to choose the configuration at booking, DISNEY has the option to put you into any configuration that they have left when you check in that will hold the number of bodies you have, regardless of who is sharing a bed, regardless of what grown adult may be on a “day bed”. It is pure and simple Disney greed, to me. And like I said, we (and I am not excluding myself **yet**) are willing to pay the crazy prices and accept it to stay on property (or spend even MORE with Disney to book a suite to get what we really need in our bedding configuration). They are brilliant.
But then it would be the guest's choice to book a king room or whatever other options there were and no one would be upset at check in, like in every other hotel. I would much rather be told "there isn't a 2 queen bed available" at booking when I can choose to deal with it and maybe try to get one on check in than expecting it and then not getting it.

That said, I'm getting a bit of culture shock. Even as adults my sister and I or my friends and I share a bed on hotels because it's cheaper than renting 2 rooms. No one thinks twice about it, reading that to some it's non-negotiable to have their own bed is super funny .

My friend and I went to a national taco chain the other day, we ordered several things to share but our total was still under $10. Half the stuff was wrong, hard tacos instead of soft, wrong drink, etc. We rolled with it and enjoyed what we were given for lunch and went on with our day.

This is because we had spent like $8. Had we spent $500, I would have politely but firmly asked for what I ordered. I can't imagine spending that much and having no way to guarantee the accommodations.

But then it would be the guest's choice to book a king room or whatever other options there were and no one would be upset at check in, like in every other hotel. I would much rather be told "there isn't a 2 queen bed available" at booking when I can choose to deal with it and maybe try to get one on check in than expecting it and then not getting it.

That said, I'm getting a bit of culture shock. Even as adults my sister and I or my friends and I share a bed on hotels because it's cheaper than renting 2 rooms. No one thinks twice about it, reading that to some it's non-negotiable to have their own bed is super funny .
I think that’s what two dogs was saying. Disney doesn’t want you to go elsewhere for your preferred accommodations. They want your money. A bait & switch scheme.

I think that’s what two dogs was saying. Disney doesn’t want you to go elsewhere for your preferred accommodations. They want your money. A bait & switch scheme.

Could be, which is a weird strategy cause personally I wouldn't be a repeat customer if they did that to me haha. But I suppose most folks just roll with it since it's a long time policy.

I’m booking my first ever trip to DL and was going to book DGC until I realized that “sleeps up to 5” meant the possibility of a sleeping bag! For $600+ a night! I can’t even wrap my head around that business model. But clearly it works because the rooms book up. Unbelievable.

We have an upcoming trip in which five are on our reservation. We made a Deluxe View reservation with Two Queen Beds and Day Bed. The Hotel reservation explicitly reflects Two Queen Bends and Day Bed. Are you telling me I could show up on our day of reservation and they'll try and put all of us in a room with one king?

I’m booking my first ever trip to DL and was going to book DGC until I realized that “sleeps up to 5” meant the possibility of a sleeping bag! For $600+ a night! I can’t even wrap my head around that business model. But clearly it works because the rooms book up. Unbelievable.
I could be wrong, but I believe they did away with the sleeping bags some time ago. Now you get some kind of sleeper or daybed. Side note: my kids LOVED the sleeping bags, ha ha. They came with a mattress and were the old fashioned camping type with flannel lining.

We have an upcoming trip in which five are on our reservation. We made a Deluxe View reservation with Two Queen Beds and Day Bed. The Hotel reservation explicitly reflects Two Queen Bends and Day Bed. Are you telling me I could show up on our day of reservation and they'll try and put all of us in a room with one king?

No. King bed rooms have a maximum occupancy of 3. You will get a room with 2q and a daybed.

I could be wrong, but I believe they did away with the sleeping bags some time ago. Now you get some kind of sleeper or daybed. Side note: my kids LOVED the sleeping bags, ha ha. They came with a mattress and were the old fashioned camping type with flannel lining.

Correct. The sleeping bags are gone now.

Thanks for clarifying! I'm glad to know the sleeping bags were never just a sleeping bag on the floor (no mattress) and I'm glad that it's also no longer a thing since I've got 2 man-sized boys. What happens if you get one of the double queen rooms that doesn't have a daybed or sleeper chair? Do you know if they'll bring up a sleeper chair or something? I suppose the other option is to put 2 adults and 3 kids on the reservation to increase the chances of getting the 3 separate bedding options.
"2 Queen Beds and 1 Twin-Size Sleeper Chair or 1 King Bed and 1 Day Bed and 1 Twin-Size Sleeper Chair or 2 Queen Beds and 1 Day Bed or 2 Queen Beds or 1 King Bed and 1 Twin-Size Sleeper Chair"

Thanks for clarifying! I'm glad to know the sleeping bags were never just a sleeping bag on the floor (no mattress) and I'm glad that it's also no longer a thing since I've got 2 man-sized boys. What happens if you get one of the double queen rooms that doesn't have a daybed or sleeper chair? Do you know if they'll bring up a sleeper chair or something? I suppose the other option is to put 2 adults and 3 kids on the reservation to increase the chances of getting the 3 separate bedding options.
"2 Queen Beds and 1 Twin-Size Sleeper Chair or 1 King Bed and 1 Day Bed and 1 Twin-Size Sleeper Chair or 2 Queen Beds and 1 Day Bed or 2 Queen Beds or 1 King Bed and 1 Twin-Size Sleeper Chair"
If you have 5 people on your reservation you will have first priority for a room with two beds and a sleeper chair/daybed. Just add the extra child onto your reservation. And if you are buying a ticket package with your room .. that "extra" kid should be 2 years old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter