Disneyland Halloween Half Marathon Weekend 2024

Could it be because of the course? I’m not doing this one but if I were I’d choose flying all the way from the East Coast for the 10K over the half. There would have to be some amazing rare character bling (ie Pooh) for me to run that long, boring, parking lot/highway course again!!
Agreed. If I weren’t local, I don’t think I’d make the trip for the half after my experience in January.

In all honesty, I’m hoping the half is a little better this time—not the course necessarily, but photos/characters/entertainment/etc. otherwise I’m not sure how often I’ll spend the money on them. The 10k course was a lot of fun, but it’s a significant price jump for the half for very little added value, if any. Unless there’s improvement, I’ll probably stick to the 5/10k and do other local half races that are much better IMO.

I say this, of course, after shelling out obscene amounts of money for all three races. So I may be all talk 😂

So... longer availability than January's races but since then it appears as though they've been letting fewer people in to register at a time so it's not as chaotic on that page. Main takeaway is that there's still a lot of demand for these races but slightly less for the half O_O.
I agree. I have also noticed that with the last registration for both Princess (half) and SS (10-miler). Those were the last to sell out. I think the majority of the folks who want the longer race to tend to go for the challenge and there is plenty of demand for the 5K and 10K since those are manageable distances.

Wow, those are longer than I expected, considering the excitement for the theme. Did they expand the field, or did all the complaints from January scare some people off?
I forget when exactly it happened but sometime after the first DL registration it appears as though they've started slowing down the passthrough's to the registration page. It was a glitchy mess back then and I had missed out signing up for the challenge entirely because it kept telling me I didn't fill out the entire page. People were also having a lot of trouble signing up for multiples. It sounds like that's been happening less often these days.

I doubt they expanded the field after what happened in January. They have to figure out a better way to manage crowd-flow before expanding.

So did mine. This always happens and I don't entirely understand why
My theory is that the times start super high because so many people have multiple windows open. Mine opened at more than an hour.

The wait times sometimes go down to something like 50 minutes after that and drop more quickly for a little while because people who had multiple windows open but got in start closing their extra windows and that speeds up how quickly the line is moving. My guess is the wait time is an estimate based on how many queues are open?

But then they start going up again (jumping from like 12 to 24 minutes) when people who have gotten in and are on forums start sharing their queues and also when more of the people who had multiple queues have finished and aren't closing many queues at once.. because then the speed goes back to regular registration speed, and that increases the time taken in registration per queue. I always imagine those wait times are based on the system seeing how many people are ahead of you and how long per person the transactions are taking... so when those things are messed with it makes the times jump?

This is all my speculation but I know this same pattern happens every time.

I don't think simply closing a queue window removes that QueueIt ID from the system though (otherwise how would it work to be able to copy/share the queue ID). So it doesn't really matter if people with multiple queues open close their extra windows or not-that queue ID still goes through the whole process until its let in and THEN times out.

I don't think simply closing a queue window removes that QueueIt ID from the system though (otherwise how would it work to be able to copy/share the queue ID). So it doesn't really matter if people with multiple queues open close their extra windows or not-that queue ID still goes through the whole process until its let in and THEN times out.
I believe you're right, the queues stay live for 10 minutes once through (supposedly) and then probably drop off. I always close the links before sending a queue link and the link still works, so the positions must still be "active."

oh interesting! so if a lot of people had extra queues there could be a time when a lot of the queues in there are not actually being used? I don't know anything about how these systems are set up but did notice that the times drop a lot quickly at the beginning and then level out or go back up.

IMG_1458.png
Attached is the 10K staging area from January. I’m planning to stay on Clementine in September, but north of the “Event Entry” spot marked on the map. Does anyone remember if it’s possible to walk around the secure area to make it to the entry point on Clementine? Or even if I could cut across the parking lots to get to the entry point closer to Harbor?

View attachment 833777
Attached is the 10K staging area from January. I’m planning to stay on Clementine in September, but north of the “Event Entry” spot marked on the map. Does anyone remember if it’s possible to walk around the secure area to make it to the entry point on Clementine? Or even if I could cut across the parking lots to get to the entry point closer to Harbor?
You should be able to walk down the sidewalks on Clementine to get to the security checkpoint, go through it, and then walk back up clementine to get into the staging area

How does the discount work for preorders? Can you preorder and then go in and have it adjusted while there? I hate to do that but I also hate to miss out on something I want.
Apologies if this was answered and I missed it...

The way it used to work was you picked up the merch, returned it and repurchased with the discount. I did it a few times, but I haven't successfully tried since 2019 (iirc), after several people reported they were told no at the expo. I believe there is language now on the preorder site saying the merch is not returnable.

Congrats to everyone who was able to secure a registration this morning! Anyone else surprised the half was the last one standing?!

In case anyone was curious, sellout times for this morning were as follows:

Disneyland Halloween 5K - 50 mins
Disneyland Halloween 10K - 50 mins
Chills & Thrills Challenge - 61 mins
runDisney Kid Races - 78 mins
Disneyland Yoga - 86 mins
Disneyland Halloween Half Marathon - 114 mins
What's interesting is that these sell out times still fall short of the record. The inaugural Star Wars Half at Disneyland saw the challenge sell out in less than 30 minutes.
Wow, those are longer than I expected, considering the excitement for the theme. Did they expand the field, or did all the complaints from January scare some people off?
I also wonder if to some degree, the date played a role. The Disneyland Half this year was on MLK weekend and all previous Disneyland Half Marathons were held on Labor Day weekend. So no holiday weekend this time may impact ability for some to travel.
In all honesty, I’m hoping the half is a little better this time—not the course necessarily, but photos/characters/entertainment/etc. otherwise I’m not sure how often I’ll spend the money on them.
This time the Half had a lot fewer characters than I remember for previous Half Marathons at Disneyland including Star Wars and Avengers. And a lot fewer photos in the parks last month. I have one in front of the castle during the half. Nothing from Galaxy's Edge. I didn't even see photographers in Avengers Campus. Hopefully, that is one area that they fix up for these races.

The half course was pretty similar to previous half courses. Always some variation. I thought the community support was nice as well and pretty similar to previous Disneyland races.
I doubt they expanded the field after what happened in January. They have to figure out a better way to manage crowd-flow before expanding.
I am hopeful they will figure that out. While Coast to Coast challenges will always bring some to Disneyland, this is also an opportunity to showcase Disneyland and its strengths and charms. While of necessity the race experiences will always be different between the two coasts, Disneyland has a lot to offer. I would hope that they want to make sure they put on good race experiences to show off why Disneyland is special in its own right.

Even the tweaks from the 10K to the Half security wise were good last month.

I agree. I have also noticed that with the last registration for both Princess (half) and SS (10-miler). Those were the last to sell out. I think the majority of the folks who want the longer race to tend to go for the challenge and there is plenty of demand for the 5K and 10K since those are manageable distances.
Hopefully this is good news for me. I just want to register for the 2025 MW Half. Fingers crossed!

What a morning! I had already secured a challenge bib through a charity over the weekend and I told myself that I was going to skip the 5K to save some money and an extra day off of work. Yeah......jumped in the queue on my phone on the way to work just to see and the queue never went below an hour. A good friend of mine messaged me and said he had gotten all three races and had a queue link that was down to 10 minutes and he sent that to me. I can now cross "register for a runDisney race on my phone while navigating downtown Dallas traffic" off of my bingo card. Sheesh!

But, I guess I'm in for all three races. God help my wallet...

For the Disneyland Half Marathons do they ever put Characters out on the road? It feels like it would make it a long more interesting and they already have the road closed anyway.

For the Disneyland Half Marathons do they ever put Characters out on the road? It feels like it would make it a long more interesting and they already have the road closed anyway.

Not that I’ve ever seen and I have done 4 of them. I think I remember someone said they aren’t allowed to have them off property?

They used to have groups out (bands and cheerleaders and cosplay groups) but there seemed to be less of them in January than previous years.

I am in a d i s cord group that will send me notifications but they also post on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/runDisAlerts
That twitter account suggested joining Telegram - which I did - feels like a SCAM collecting info then said the referenced runDisAlert did not exist... Scam?!? ///Edited, seems some others on here have used that Telegram alert safely, I've simply not gotten it to work.///

Last edited:
Not that I’ve ever seen and I have done 4 of them. I think I remember someone said they aren’t allowed to have them off property?

They used to have groups out (bands and cheerleaders and cosplay groups) but there seemed to be less of them in January than previous years.
Yeah, the presumption is that for one reason or another, they can't do it. Go in with the expectation that they won't have characters outside the parks, hope that they do a better job managing character photo ops inside the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter