Disneyland Halloween Half Marathon Weekend 2024

It was a further walk (plus an extra security screening if one walked through DTD to get to Harbor) for those staying on site at DLR this year because the 10k and half started on Disney Way instead of Disneyland Dr like they used to. The 5k often starts in the parks. On site is not nearly as important as DLR as it is at WDW. But it does come down to personal preference. There are off site hotels that are closer to the entrance of the parks than the on site hotels.

The Home 2 Suites is not a super far walk from the start this year for the 10k and half. The JW Marriott would be a little closer. I was at the Motel 6 and it was barely a 5 minute walk to the start.

There are no official shuttles. You either walk, drive to Toy Story lot (10k and half; Mickey and Friends for yoga and 5k), or Uber/Lyft.

They start usually at 5am. They were telling people that drove to be in the Toy Story lot by 4am.
From what I heard from reports of people at the DLH I wouldn't stay there for the races, the security issue alone is enough to deter me let alone the cost.

I'm torn between staying Hilton Home2Suites to maximize reward points, staying JW Marriot for a nicer hotel/to be closer or Disneyland Hotel because I think for races it's usually so nice to be on property especially when I don't have a vehicle.

The 10k/half started in the big parking lot seen below. You can see from maps that the JW Marriott is probably closer to the South Entry, and Hilton to the north entry. Probably pretty similar walking times to get to each entry, aka not far, way less than 10 minute walk and all very safe since there are so many runners making the same walk. A bit of a trek, I think over a mile, from the DLH.

clq2q7h7f00023b6rnyk1mew7.png

In terms of distances to the parks, I always put in the Best Western Park Place Inn as my destination in maps as security is just across the street and a few steps from the BWPPI (maybe 3-4 additional minutes depending on how long it takes the light to change). I'm not sure which parking lots you can cut through from the Hilton but I would guess it's about 10-12 minutes to walk to security (similar distance as the Howard Johnson). JW Marriott is definitely further, it's similarly far as the Hyatt House which is more like 15-20 minutes.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably save the money and stay at Hilton based on distance but that's without knowing anything about the rooms there. I will never stay off property at WDW but I can pretty confidently say I will never stay ON property at DL, just not worth the upcharge.

I am extremely excited about the themes for the 10k, half and challenge of this race!

I've only done the Wine & Dine 10k (Princess Challenge next month,) so I'm curious where do the DL races begin and is it as early as WDW? Are there shuttles? Is it all just a really close walk?

I'm torn between staying Hilton Home2Suites to maximize reward points, staying JW Marriot for a nicer hotel/to be closer or Disneyland Hotel because I think for races it's usually so nice to be on property especially when I don't have a vehicle.

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated!

Also if anyone wants to become friends so I can split the cost of these outrageously priced rooms 😂
So I actually split stayed between DL Hotel and JW. DL to start with because I didn't want to have the longer walk to the 5k and then switched to the JW after. And while we don't know yet its looking like a similar situation for this weekends 5k (there are so many ways to route one throught the parks after all).

Staying at DL hotel I think should probably come down to if you either want the experience (since its pricy but some people want to get the experience in) and if you want a slightly shorter walk to the 5k start.

But admittedly if you aren’t doing the 5k probably is easier to stay at Home2Suites or JW.

JWs pretty good from my experience. If nothing else the breakfast they have there would make me stay there again if I’m being honest 😅. Though convenience is definitely a factor especially since they have their own entrance into the Gardenwalk area so you can save even more room.

OP honestly depending on the plans I would recommend a split stay if you’re doing the 5k. Yeah it’s a nuisance to pack up and move rooms but it was nice to be closer. If not just pick one of the other hotels.

From what I heard from reports of people at the DLH I wouldn't stay there for the races, the security issue alone is enough to deter me let alone the cost.

The 10k/half started in the big parking lot seen below. You can see from maps that the JW Marriott is probably closer to the South Entry, and Hilton to the north entry. Probably pretty similar walking times to get to each entry, aka not far, way less than 10 minute walk and all very safe since there are so many runners making the same walk. A bit of a trek, I think over a mile, from the DLH.

View attachment 828321

In terms of distances to the parks, I always put in the Best Western Park Place Inn as my destination in maps as security is just across the street and a few steps from the BWPPI (maybe 3-4 additional minutes depending on how long it takes the light to change). I'm not sure which parking lots you can cut through from the Hilton but I would guess it's about 10-12 minutes to walk to security (similar distance as the Howard Johnson). JW Marriott is definitely further, it's similarly far as the Hyatt House which is more like 15-20 minutes.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably save the money and stay at Hilton based on distance but that's without knowing anything about the rooms there. I will never stay off property at WDW but I can pretty confidently say I will never stay ON property at DL, just not worth the upcharge.
For the 5k it wasn't as bad arguably. I got in and out of security in a couple of minutes (a lot faster than with the 10 and the half notably) going to the start. You gotta remember with the 5k we only go through security once going towards DTD. (Or should have anyway) The security becomes more of an issue with the longer races because you have to clear it on Harbor coming back because you’re coming in at the same time as other people.

So I guess the question with op here is are they doing the 5k or the 10 and half with no 5k?

View attachment 828321

Hanna thank you so much for the map! It made me realize that the Hilton right next to the parking lot is actually the best option for me, especially as this will probably be a solo race and only my 2nd time at Disneyland.

I hear a lot of good things about the Howard Johnson hotel too but only from 'influencers' so I was skeptical, lol.

Thanks again!

So I actually split stayed between DL Hotel and JW. DL to start with because I didn't want to have the longer walk to the 5k and then switched to the JW after. And while we don't know yet its looking like a similar situation for this weekends 5k (there are so many ways to route one throught the parks after all).

Staying at DL hotel I think should probably come down to if you either want the experience (since its pricy but some people want to get the experience in) and if you want a slightly shorter walk to the 5k start.

But admittedly if you aren’t doing the 5k probably is easier to stay at Home2Suites or JW.

JWs pretty good from my experience. If nothing else the breakfast they have there would make me stay there again if I’m being honest 😅. Though convenience is definitely a factor especially since they have their own entrance into the Gardenwalk area so you can save even more room.

OP honestly depending on the plans I would recommend a split stay if you’re doing the 5k. Yeah it’s a nuisance to pack up and move rooms but it was nice to be closer. If not just pick one of the other hotels.

For the 5k it wasn't as bad arguably. I got in and out of security in a couple of minutes (a lot faster than with the 10 and the half notably) going to the start. You gotta remember with the 5k we only go through security once going towards DTD. (Or should have anyway) The security becomes more of an issue with the longer races because you have to clear it on Harbor coming back because you’re coming in at the same time as other people.

So I guess the question with op here is are they doing the 5k or the 10 and half with no 5k?
I'm planning to do the challenge, no 5k's for me! I can't swing the Thursday bib pickups if I ever wanna rollover any vacation days for a perfect year! 😂

Hanna thank you so much for the map! It made me realize that the Hilton right next to the parking lot is actually the best option for me, especially as this will probably be a solo race and only my 2nd time at Disneyland.

I hear a lot of good things about the Howard Johnson hotel too but only from 'influencers' so I was skeptical, lol.

Thanks again!
I stayed at the HoJo and Fairfield this past trip and liked them both! I did stay in the nicest room category at both though, the Superior room in Building 1 at Hojo which is renovated and facing the parks instead of noisy freeway, and the themed room facing parks at Fairfield on high floor. Previously had stayed at BWPPI (not staying again until I hear they replace the mattresses and heat/AC units), and Hyatt House (love but the extra walk is tough on tired legs). If Hojo/Fairfield are the same price I'd pick Fairfield for proximity plus earning Marriott points, and their internet is far better. But if Hojo was a lot cheaper I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Still a shorter walk than to the buses at WDW :rotfl:

I'm planning to do the challenge, no 5k's for me! I can't swing the Thursday bib pickups if I ever wanna rollover any vacation days for a perfect year! 😂
That’s fair. Than yeah unless your wanting the experience of the hotel or stay a couple of days after to take advantage of early entry of the ones I’ve stayed at JW would be my recommendation.

Though I second what @Disneyhanna said if your looking at price wise between HoJo and Fairfield I would go Fairfield. Never stayed at HoJo personally but Fairfield is closer and I remember going past it this last weekend and thinking this was at the point where I wouldn’t personally be walking from the start/half from. Like being able to walk that far sounds great right now but after 19.3 miles it’s going to be a whole lot less appealing.

But then again I’m also dragging six foot wheelchair with my walker around on race morning. So I have less inclination of wanting to walk that far to begin with.

I am extremely excited about the themes for the 10k, half and challenge of this race!

I've only done the Wine & Dine 10k (Princess Challenge next month,) so I'm curious where do the DL races begin and is it as early as WDW? Are there shuttles? Is it all just a really close walk?

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated!

Also if anyone wants to become friends so I can split the cost of these outrageously priced rooms 😂

Also on the Hilton point train! The Suncoast is a Hilton property and I stayed there for this past weekend. It worked out great, we just had to walk around the back end of the corrals in the morning to get to the Disney Way security entrance. Getting out after the half was a little more complicated, as there wasn’t an opening and no one working the event could tell us how to get to that side of the street, but ultimately the security officers opened one of the make shift barricades and let us walk out. Assuming the start/finish remains in the same location, I’d definitely stay there again!

I cannot imagine the crowds if this race weekend was during labor day weekend AND Oogie Boogie Bash. *cringes*
DLH weekend was previously held during Labor Day Weekend. It was a bummer because Haunted Mansion was down for overlay installation both times I was able to attend. This way Haunted Mansion should at least be open for its race weekend!

DLH weekend was previously held during Labor Day Weekend. It was a bummer because Haunted Mansion was down for overlay installation both times I was able to attend. This way Haunted Mansion should at least be open for its race weekend!
Didn't WDW do an Everest-themed run a while back when Everest was closed? I'm not holding my breath that runDisney plans these things super carefully like that. 🤣

Some (sort of) newbie questions here... I did several of the "original" DLR races but it's been a looonnggg time since I've done a runDisney race. DD19 and I are interested in trying for the 10K. Is there any hope at all if we are not club members? I am generally familiar with the intense process that is registering for limited access Disney events (D23, Oogie Boogie Bash etc.). So lets say I get in to register...can I register both of us or does she have to try to get in and register separately (and of course she has class at that time)?

Some (sort of) newbie questions here... I did several of the "original" DLR races but it's been a looonnggg time since I've done a runDisney race. DD19 and I are interested in trying for the 10K. Is there any hope at all if we are not club members? I am generally familiar with the intense process that is registering for limited access Disney events (D23, Oogie Boogie Bash etc.). So lets say I get in to register...can I register both of us or does she have to try to get in and register separately (and of course she has class at that time)?
There’s definitely hope for non-club members. The number of CrD people is quite limited. You can register more than one person in a single transaction, but registrations are not held while you fill things out, so it could sell out while you’re registering the second person.

There’s definitely hope for non-club members. The number of CrD people is quite limited. You can register more than one person in a single transaction, but registrations are not held while you fill things out, so it could sell out while you’re registering the second person.
Thank you! Good to hear there is hope for non-club members.

Follow up question- there is a chance she won't be able to go anyway so I may prioritize my own registration. So should I just get in queue with multiple devices, then if I get in complete my own registration, then hope one of the other devices also gets in before sellout and I can register her?

Thank you! Good to hear there is hope for non-club members.

Follow up question- there is a chance she won't be able to go anyway so I may prioritize my own registration. So should I just get in queue with multiple devices, then if I get in complete my own registration, then hope one of the other devices also gets in before sellout and I can register her?
You can complete you own registration, pay, and then go back and register her without needing another queue to get through. It all depends on if you’re ok with running alone if it sells out after you finish paying for yourself, but before you finish your DD’s registration. Some people are “we all run, or none of us do” and some people are “we’re ok if some of us don’t get to run”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter