Disneyland Half Marathon 2024

I was happy with my effort today. Missed a PR by 5 seconds but that was set 5 years ago.

27 OA, 25th male, 2nd age group. Too bad no more age group awards anymore!

I don't know if this is true, just my opinion-but when the guy came out to sing the National Anthem, I got the impression that he showed up late, and that is why the race started late? Who knows.

I saw some people by the green balloon lamp/light across from the portas talking and taking pics with each other, not sure if it was some of you guys. A couple times I was going to ask, but I am so introverted I shied away.

I didn't know too much about merch beforehand, I did pre order the jacket, but disappointed because I wanted the tumbler but that was long gone. Seems like the 5kers have an advantage as they have to be at the expo on that first day, it's like, sometimes you don't know you want something several months out, and just want to make a purchase the day of when you see it in person. I am curious in that Disney has been doing races for years now, they know certain things sell out, and at the same time certain things they have way too many left over. I got to the Expo Sat at about 2:30 so one of the last ones, and they had a bunch of stuff you know wasn't going to sell. So why not just produce more pins and jackets etc, and less of the other stuff because by now they have to know what sells and what doesn't. Unless they want to create the demand??

I enjoyed the race overall. Nice pre-race dinner at Naples. Super long lines there so grateful for the Open Table tip I got on here I was able to get a reservation. I felt they could've had a little more at DTD for instance kind of welcoming runners with signs/banners posted. I also thought as some have said earlier that restaurants/ Starbucks should have been open for us, even just to grab a bagel, banana, coffee etc. They could have had signs too like hey runners, we 're open early for you- something like that. I ended up eating at Tortilla Joes at around 7:30 ,but you wouldn't even know they were open early unless I asked. I'd think they would announce that clearly - maybe pass out coupons to finishers- like runners get a free coffee with your breakfast or...something.

Couple question?
1- For a lot of races you can look up your picture by bib number and purchase that way- is that the case for this race too or is it just photo pass?

2- I think my wife and 2 boys would like to do the Halloween 5k. Registration opens next month. And I know these races sell out quickly. So, would each of us need our own run Disney account to register individually, or is it something where I can log in and just add four 5ks to my cart and check out that way? Or at least be able to register my kids?

It's always "funny" to me how you look forward to something that is so far away, then it gets closer, then it's here, then its over. Always a bit of that -now what- feeling.
But congratulations to everyone. 13.1 miles regardless of pace or speed is always an accomplishment.

Currently on a (successful) mission to repeat marathon Sunday- up for 23 hours and close the park- but here are a few thoughts from a DL newbie (half only).

- I learned a lot from reading about the previous two days, thanks everyone who posted about their experiences. I also saw improvements on some of the issues mentioned (eg music, security lines), so it was cool to see that a company with a lot of frustrating problems historically was able to adapt real time.
- ā€¦ except our experiences seemed to vary wildly, and I think itā€™s too bad if the pattern is that the first corral(s) always have the advantage. I expected to start in B and was surprised to get an A bib, so I probably put a little pressure on myself to run faster than I would have otherwise. But I had no crowding and lots of photopass opportunities, including the castle. I also happened to have an almost totally empty finish chute, so it was like my own personal photo shoot- sooo many pics. Unfortunately I look terrible in all of them, but thatā€™s not PP fault, the photo quality is great šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø
- Iā€™m one and done, which was the plan, because Iā€™d rather focus on WDW MW. I think I need the marathon distance to justify the expense of the whole trip, though I did really enjoy doing an rD half! I had mixed expectations about what the non-park miles were going to be like, and I think it was totally fine for a regular race.
- too many thoughts about the park comparisons, but I loved having them back to back so it was fresh in my mind. And still going- have to go use my last two LLs from when genie+ was down now!

On the subject of the DL Events thing Iā€™m going to play devils advocate for a second because on one hand it would explain some of it. On the other hand Iā€™ve been in waaaay too many fandom spaces where rumors have gained life without any kind of backing to just agree with it without backing.

And right now I canā€™t find any beyond random hearsay. Which come on yā€™all we should all know better than this by this point.

And unless someone can provide backing Iā€™m just going to err on the side of caution.

On the subject of the DL Events thing Iā€™m going to play devils advocate for a second because on one hand it would explain some of it. On the other hand Iā€™ve been in waaaay too many fandom spaces where rumors have gained life without any kind of backing to just agree with it without backing.

And right now I canā€™t find any beyond random hearsay. Which come on yā€™all we should all know better than this by this point.

And unless someone can provide backing Iā€™m just going to err on the side of caution.
Sure, I just found it interesting and wanted to pass it on for the sake of discussion. It would explain QUITE a bit. But who knows if it's actually true.

So I spotted some of the disunplugged crew over in the Craftsman Grill.

I wonder if they're filming out in California due to the race weekend or if it's unrelated? Last time I remember rundisney content from the team was the 2018 marathon, so it's been awhile.

So I spotted some of the disunplugged crew over in the Craftsman Grill.

I wonder if they're filming out in California due to the race weekend or if it's unrelated? Last time I remember rundisney content from the team was the 2018 marathon, so it's been awhile.
If I understood correctly, at least Ryno was doing coast to coast half marathon. I believe both Craig and Ryno were participating in the DL Half.

It's always "funny" to me how you look forward to something that is so far away, then it gets closer, then it's here, then its over. Always a bit of that -now what- feeling.
But congratulations to everyone. 13.1 miles regardless of pace or speed is always an accomplishment.
This is so true! I did Marathon Weekend last weekend and have been down ever since. I looked forward to the trip for so long, had a great time, but all of a sudden it is behind me. I'm trying to adjust back to "normal" life, and not liking it.

We have future vacations, but I still need to come up with my next running goal. Once I do that, I think I'll be OK.

Couple question?
1- For a lot of races you can look up your picture by bib number and purchase that way- is that the case for this race too or is it just photo pass?

2- I think my wife and 2 boys would like to do the Halloween 5k. Registration opens next month. And I know these races sell out quickly. So, would each of us need our own run Disney account to register individually, or is it something where I can log in and just add four 5ks to my cart and check out that way? Or at least be able to register my kids?
If youā€™re asking if you need to purchase Photopass for the whole weekend to see the photos, you donā€™t. You can add them on Photopass for free to preview them with watermarks, and then you have the option of buying the photos individually (both as a digital download or as a print +digital download).

You can register multiple people in one checkout, and then you will need to send them their registrations to sign the waiver when it comes out. I did myself and my mom in one transaction for this weekend, and was prompted to send her a link so she could ā€œclaimā€ her registration and transfer it from my account to her account once the waiver was available online. Although, if youā€™re signing the waiver for your kids, I think they remain on your account.

One other thing to add about doing it with one account.....your entire transaction is not guaranteed until you finish/pay for the lot, i.e. there is no "cart" where your registrations are temporarily held. So if the race sells out before you complete your transaction, you would lose all the races you were trying for.

Check out this post for the complete registration rundown.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...-sell-out-timing.3844193/page-2#post-63173194

Last edited:
One other thing to add about doing it with one account.....your entire transaction is not guaranteed until you finish/pay for the lot, i.e. there is no "cart" where your registrations are temporarily held. So if the race sells out before you complete your transaction, you would lose all the races you were trying for.

Check out this post for the complete registration rundown.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...-sell-out-timing.3844193/page-2#post-63173194
the link above will have pictures of what the registration page will look like as far as "I want to add another registration" in order to register multiple people.

A couple of things about that: sometimes a computer will autofill info, and put things in a different name than you may have already entered. You cart is not "held" while you complete the forms, but if you are registering everyone it DOES ensure that you can't end up with JUST your son getting a registration. Register for the races that are most important to you first, and unless they changed the queue system, you should be able to go back in with the same queue link and try to register anything else in a separate transaction.

Have any virtual particpants gotten their medals yet? Admittedly, Iā€™m still getting over sickness after marathon weekend and will be running them after but usually by now the box comes.

If youā€™re asking if you need to purchase Photopass for the whole weekend to see the photos, you donā€™t. You can add them on Photopass for free to preview them with watermarks, and then you have the option of buying the photos individually (both as a digital download or as a print +digital download).

You can register multiple people in one checkout, and then you will need to send them their registrations to sign the waiver when it comes out. I did myself and my mom in one transaction for this weekend, and was prompted to send her a link so she could ā€œclaimā€ her registration and transfer it from my account to her account once the waiver was available online. Although, if youā€™re signing the waiver for your kids, I think they remain on your account.
Thats good to know thank you. It's hard enough waiting in the e- queue and getting accepted for one person so I figured trying to do it for 4 would be almost impossible before it sells out but this is good to know.

Iā€™d lean towards thinking this too. IMO the explanation for the issues is pretty simple: they havenā€™t done a race here in seven years and many of the people tasked with working the event had far less experience than those at the WDW events. There are security quirks specific to DL that they need to figure out, they also need to get things right with the new start village. Obviously, ummmā€¦ they have to pick a better water spot for mile 3. Not sure what theyā€™ll do with photo ops, it definitely seemed like they were playing it safe but I hope they can figure something better out.

Really worth noting that RD has been the butt of many jokes for organizational issues. Registration problems, IT doesnā€™t work right, the website regularly has errors for dates and times because they donā€™t proofread their copy/paste jobs, they take a long time to respond to issues, etc. Now on top of everything else theyā€™re adding a fifth and sixth race to the schedule, and the fifth comes immediately after their biggest race weekend of the year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter