Disneyland Guidebooks

Luv_Tink

Mouseketeer
Can anyone recommend good guidebooks for DL? We're planning a trip for next summer and its been a long time since either DH or I have been there, my last trip there was in 1990! We've been to WDW several times and used the Passporter guidebook for those trips. They were supposed to have a Disneyland Passporter available in Fall of 2004 but it has yet to be released. I don't have much hope that it will be up to date if it does come out by the time we take our trip.

We have gotten the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland and Birbaum's guide to Disneyland. While the Unofficial guide provides some good info on strategy (ie how handing off kids on rides works, etc) I much prefer the Birbaum's guide as it is much more comprehensive with information about the restaurants and hotels. I realize that is Disney "approved". I then come here or search the internet for unbiased details and specific questions.

I really like the Birnbaum's series (for WDW and DL). The last time we were at WDW, we carried our Birnbaum's along with us for quick reference (especially helpful when trying to decide on a dinner location without PS's!), and I imagine we will bring along our guide for our upcoming DL trip. I am a very seasoned DL veteran, but it will be DH's first time there, so the book will be helpful for him. Plus, it'll get him all revved up on the plane ride! Gotta start the magic before you actually hit the parks.. :teeth:

I'm with boo72 on the Unofficial Guide to DL. It's anemic! My travel bookshelf is a veritable shrine to the UG series, but that one is lacking. The WDW one is fabulous!

I really like the strategy part of the book, though, so if you can pick a used one up for cheap, that would be a great deal. I am such a geek that I bought both the 2005 (for a last-minute day trip in May) and the 2006 (for our upcoming Dec trip). :teeth: The first half of the book is almost word-for-word. Try eBay!

Can't vouch for Birnbaum, as I've got a bias AGAINST anything "official."

Good luck!

I got the 2006 unofficial guide based on this same question asked a month or so ago, most people chimed in that they liked the unofficial version better. However I agree that there aren't any pictures, so it's sorta boring from that respect, and the info on restaurants is probably slim as compared to, from what people are saying about Birnbaum. Some good strategies though and helpful information about each ride from a variety of angles.

We have about 6 different books we used for our trip. (Yes I'm nuts :earboy2: but only when planning a Disney vacation.) The UG was best as far as ride itineraries. They have a touring plan but also they list suggested times to avoid lines for each ride. They also point out any rides that might be wild or scary for kids. We used a combination of ridemax and this book for our August trip. Days we overslept we used more the book because our ridemax had been planned with us arriving at opening. :blush:
I would reccomend either borrowing or buying cheap someone else's used copy of UG or checking the library for it. Birnbaums has some great pictures, but since it's official I read it with a grain of salt. Also, the internet is a wealth of info. including restaurant menus and reviews. Hope that helps.

Eeyorecln said:
We have about 6 different books we used for our trip. (Yes I'm nuts :earboy2: but only when planning a Disney vacation.)

You, too??! :rotfl2: DH thought I was the only one!

I say, "It's the magic!" :wizard:
He says, "It's a sickness!" :crazy2:
I say he's lucky to have me. :love2:

I'm Dale-n-Chip, and I have five Disney vacation planning guides. :wave2:

Man oh man do I have that "Obsessive Vacation Planner" disease as well. My guess is anyone posting on these boards does!

One of the reasons I read these posts is to remind myself that there are others out there as crazy as I am. I am definitely an obsessive Disney vacation planner. We are going to DL in November with 15 people. We have been there together before and they all make sheep noises and follow me around! This year I actually made "Disney Packs" for each family to take on the plane. There are colouring pages, pencil crayons, journal pages for each day, Disney trivia pages, souvenier pockets, coupons, an itinerary, information on the Candy Cane Inn (where we are staying), maps, reviews of all the rides, charts on weather and attendance, pens, pencils, playing cards etc....and they are all decorated with Disney characters! When everyone gets their pack they will know I am nuts (they only suspected it before!). I do work full time too so it isn't that I have too much time on my hands, I just LOVE Disneyland! :Pinkbounc

Don't forget that the Passporter DL edition is supposed to be up for preorder in December. I can't wait for it!

Having a Passporter when we went to WDW was the best thing ever. I would heartily recommend getting one to anyone who had not. I found out that the DL version would not be ready until after our trip and so decided to make my own version. It won't compare to the real thing but I had fun making them.

We used the unofficial guide and thought it superb.

It doesn't have any pictures and it's not glossy - so it is NOT the book to use to whet your appetite and have the kids drooling over ahead of the holiday. But for clear, unbiased and helpful advice, it can't be beat.

I guess I'm biased on this one. I *probably* would have liked UG well enough if I hadn't used UG religiously during WDW trips. The difference of the depth of information and surveys (for example meals and shops) are a world apart between the WDW and DL versions. In fact, most of the statements in the UG for DL are right out of the WDW version, and in many respects entirely generic (such as the stroller info., rain ponchos, etc.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter