• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland First Timers

PaulaVonSchweetz

Mouseketeer
We are major Disney World vacationers, but will be FINALLY taking our first trip out the Disney Land in November. We will be there the 15th through 18th and I am looking to know what are the major differences?
Are there different characters for meet and greets?
Any restaurant recommendations?
Tips/tricks? Best parade viewing spots?
What should I know? Tell me tell me tell me landers!!

We are at the GC if that helps, and traveling as mom/dad/ 4 1/2 yo son, and will be meeting up with friends out there.

One post/thread that may be helpful to you (courtesy of HydroGuy) focuses on Disneyland Resort for the Walt Disney World veterans - http://www.disboards.com/threads/a-dlr-guide-for-wdw-vets.1162599/. There you will learn about a lot of the differences between the two.

Your trip should either fall during, or very, very close to the Holidays at Disneyland Resort. This year we are not quite sure how the usual holiday entertainment will be handled in light of all of the new nighttime shows for the 60th anniversary, but many holiday staples should be in place (It's a Small World Holiday among them). I recommend skimming the posts on page 1 of the Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread - http://www.disboards.com/threads/di...erthread-5-awaiting-details-for-2015.3358217/ - to get a sense of what to expect, even if some things are not present this year (like the holiday fireworks).

Disneyland Resort's holiday season is not quite as massive as WDW's holidays are (because we have fewer parks and fewer hotels), but it is wonderful. Feel free to jump in and join us in the Superthread any time -- we are waiting for info and dates for 2015, so all of the references to 2014 that you will see are just there for comparison until we get new info.

I know that others will chime in with other tips and help for you!

We are major Disney World vacationers, but will be FINALLY taking our first trip out the Disney Land in November. We will be there the 15th through 18th and I am looking to know what are the major differences?
I highly recommend checking out HydroGuy's DLR Guide for WDW Vets as a good place to get a sense of the similarities and differences between WDW and DLR. You will be arriving at the tail end of the Avenger's Half Marathon weekend (Nov 12-15), so you may see some residual crowds early in the week. Mid-November is usually when the Holiday season starts at DLR, which means lots of decor and holiday themed entertainment. Things are a little in flux this year because the 60th anniversary celebration, so it's not clear what specifically will (or will not) be happening. You can checkout the Christmas SuperThread for all of the latest information, discussions, and rumors.

Are there different characters for meet and greets?
The first thing to note about DLR is that character meet and greets tend to be far less formal than at WDW. There aren't as many fixed character meet and greet locations, so keep your eyes open because you never know who you'll come across. There are some unique characters to DLR (e.g., Oswald, McQueen, Mater, Red, etc.), but it's hard to say who you'll see for sure. This thread had some information on unique characters at DLR:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/ch...anniversary-characters.3421415/#post-53900795

Any restaurant recommendations?
DLR has a lot of good choices. It depends on what you like...check out the Dining Review thread for lot of photos.

Tips/tricks? Best parade viewing spots?
This thread discussed the strategies for viewing Disneyland Forever (fireworks) and Paint the Night (parade).
http://disboards.com/threads/paint-...reworks-strategy.3412136/page-4#post-53746691

The WoC SuperThread also has lots of information about the WoC viewing area.

By staying at the GC you will want to take advantage of Early Entry to DCA as only onsite guests get this perk.

That way you can hit RSR and TSMM while the crowd levels are low.

If you are looking for an experience while dining definitely give the Blue Bayou a try. It is inside the Pirates of the Caribbean so you get to watch the boats go by while enjoying your meal.....we always eat there when we go to DL. Try and request a waterside table if possible.

DL/DCA have a lot packed into them compared to WDW which is more spread out.

Have a great trip!!!!

Biggest thing I can think of to note is that the parks are really close together, like stand at one turnstyle and look across the way to the other one. This makes park hoppers much more valuable than at WDW. I go back and forth several times in a day.

Blue Bayou dining is certainly a unique experience that I would suggest doing. Also know that counter service food is typically much more varied and higher quality than at WDW. During my trips to DLR I usually only eat table service once. There are just so many great CS options that I end up doing that instead.

Well your are going to come to a very different but awesome experience. DL is easy to park hop and go to DTD, and DL is much simpler no water taxis or need to ride trams. Its also a little different crowd than WDW it seems to be more laid back and relaxed atmosphere. I love going to DL I am sure you will too!

Thank you all SOOOOOO MUCH!! We are beyond excited - DL will be a first for our entire family, so we are really looking forward to sharing all of the "first experiences" together. I will check out all of those great threads!

Pixie Dust to everyone!

Peter Pan, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Pirates, Buzz Lightyear, and Fantasmic! will all be drastically different from what you are used to at WDW and Indiana Jones is WAY better than Dinosaurs. I love WDW, and I was blown away by how complete the DL park felt. Every attraction had me wanting to hop back in line and ride it again - especially Space. Eating at the Blue Bayou is a must do as well (buy it with the fantasmic dinner package for VIP seating. Its the same price!) - Request a table on the railing there! Like previously mentioned, characters will literally just be out walking around without a handler. It's really crazy. Buy a park hopper for every day. The parks are a 1 minute walk from each other, and you can hold FP's simultaneously in both. Ride Radiator Springs Racers at night, and see World of Color.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter